[April 27, 2024, 07:39:53 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[April 27, 2024, 12:29:11 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[April 27, 2024, 08:16:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Sweden?  (Read 58450 times)

Pakuni

• All American
Re: Sweden?
« Reply #325 on: June 03, 2020, 09:24:30 AM »
Edit: Missed that Lenny had posted this earlier. My bad.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2020, 09:47:15 AM by Pakuni »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #326 on: June 03, 2020, 09:30:41 AM »
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-06-03/man-behind-sweden-s-virus-strategy-says-he-got-some-things-wrong

Sweden’s head epidemiologist admits he’s got it wrong.

Thanks for posting, Lenny.

First, it's nice to see a leader of any kind - medical, political, academic, financial, business, sports, science, etc - admit mistakes. Not nearly enough of this. There are some who will never do it, thinks it makes them look "weak" when the opposite is true.

As for COVID, maybe, at least temporarily, this will put to rest the narrative by far too many (though not many Scoopers, thankfully) that Sweden got it "right" by letting its citizens die and suffer while everybody else got it "wrong."
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #327 on: June 03, 2020, 01:12:16 PM »
Thanks for posting, Lenny.

First, it's nice to see a leader of any kind - medical, political, academic, financial, business, sports, science, etc - admit mistakes. Not nearly enough of this. There are some who will never do it, thinks it makes them look "weak" when the opposite is true.

As for COVID, maybe, at least temporarily, this will put to rest the narrative by far too many (though not many Scoopers, thankfully) that Sweden got it "right" by letting its citizens die and suffer while everybody else got it "wrong."

Mike

I was certainly hoping that Sweden’s head epidemiologist had it right but the numbers say otherwise. Once that happens it’s time to change course. Wrong and stubborn is a bad (and lethal) combination for those looking for answers about this virus.

« Last Edit: June 03, 2020, 01:27:01 PM by Lennys Tap »

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #328 on: June 04, 2020, 02:01:23 PM »
Sweden admitted some mistakes, the chief of the strategy also reiterated it was a good strategy and primarily at issue were the elderly.  This is no different than what he said 6 weeks ago, 3 weeks ago and again last week.

He specifically defended the lockdown strategy.  They have said for quite some time they did not adequately protect the elderly. 

"There are things that we could have done better but in general I think that Sweden has chosen the right way," Sweden's chief epidemiologist Anders Tegnell said Wednesday, in an interview with Swedish newspaper Dagens Nyheter.

They look to improve on their approach, as they should.  Norway's leader last week said their country went too far and should have adopted more Swedish proposals.  Sounds to me like both countries are understanding the draconian approach was too much, and the too soft approach especially with the elderly was too little.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/03/europe/sweden-coronavirus-lockdown-intl/index.html
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #329 on: June 04, 2020, 03:51:17 PM »
Sweden admitted some mistakes, the chief of the strategy also reiterated it was a good strategy and primarily at issue were the elderly.  This is no different than what he said 6 weeks ago, 3 weeks ago and again last week.

He specifically defended the lockdown strategy.  They have said for quite some time they did not adequately protect the elderly. 

"There are things that we could have done better but in general I think that Sweden has chosen the right way," Sweden's chief epidemiologist Anders Tegnell said Wednesday, in an interview with Swedish newspaper Dagens Nyheter.

They look to improve on their approach, as they should.  Norway's leader last week said their country went too far and should have adopted more Swedish proposals.  Sounds to me like both countries are understanding the draconian approach was too much, and the too soft approach especially with the elderly was too little.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/03/europe/sweden-coronavirus-lockdown-intl/index.html

He was responding to reports on comments he made in an earlier interview with Swedish radio, which were widely interpreted as an admission of a failure. "If we were to encounter the same disease, given exactly what we know about it today, I think we would reach a conclusion to act somewhere in between what Sweden did and what the rest of the world did," Tegnell said in that interview.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #330 on: June 04, 2020, 03:54:54 PM »
WarriorDad celebrating the deaths in Sweden:

“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #331 on: June 04, 2020, 04:00:28 PM »
WarriorDad celebrating the deaths in Sweden:

It's more like:

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #332 on: June 04, 2020, 04:03:08 PM »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #333 on: June 04, 2020, 09:20:33 PM »
Yeah, I sure wish we had that high a death rate AND the crappy economy that Sweden has (and we have). If only our leaders had been as sharp as Swedens, we could have at least a couple million less mouths to feed here. More for the rest of us!

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #334 on: June 04, 2020, 10:23:38 PM »
Fluffy Blue Monster, Pakuni, Hards Alumni view on suicide increases from COVID reaction by their government.

“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

• All American
« Reply #335 on: June 05, 2020, 07:40:22 AM »
Fluffy Blue Monster, Pakuni, Hards Alumni view on suicide increases from COVID reaction by their government.

Oh I care.  I'm just not going to pretend that the number of suicides will exceed the number of Covid deaths like you are.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #336 on: June 05, 2020, 07:47:18 AM »

Except I do care.  People will find all sorts of reasons to kill themselves, and they should seek help before they come to that decision.  Never a single time did I say, nor even insinuate, that suicides related to COVID19 are necessary. 

Yet, you don't seem to care about the deaths in Sweden.  You've thanked them for their sacrifice and said that, "someone had to do it". 

Do you realize how ghoulish that sounds?  It's despicable.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #337 on: June 05, 2020, 07:54:26 AM »
Except I do care.  People will find all sorts of reasons to kill themselves, and they should seek help before they come to that decision.  Never a single time did I say, nor even insinuate, that suicides related to COVID19 are necessary. 

Yet, you don't seem to care about the deaths in Sweden.  You've thanked them for their sacrifice and said that, "someone had to do it". 

Nobody has said, suggested or implied that any suicide is anything less than sad and tragic. Certainly nobody has thanked suicide victims for their sacrifice.
But at this point, it's all he's got.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #338 on: June 05, 2020, 08:13:19 AM »
Remember when some were making a big deal about a doctor claiming his hospital had seen a year's worth of suicide attempts in just four weeks of the lockdown?
It wasn't true, of course.

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/salvadorhernandez/doctor-california-coronavirus-suicide-lockdown

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #339 on: June 05, 2020, 09:05:17 AM »

Are you also tracking the number of suicides in Sweden for comparison?

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #340 on: June 05, 2020, 09:36:33 AM »
Are you also tracking the number of suicides in Sweden for comparison?

I'm not because they are not relevant to Sweden's lockdown working or not working.  Suicide is entirely preventable if people seek help.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #341 on: June 05, 2020, 09:39:56 AM »

Oh I care.  I'm just not going to pretend that the number of suicides will exceed the number of Covid deaths like you are.

In many places, suicide deaths are significantly lower than average. But it just FEELS that it should be higher, so that it what people go with.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #342 on: June 05, 2020, 10:16:57 AM »
hoopaloop shifts goalposts again ... and does it while both gaslighting and jumping the shark.

A very talented multitasker!

tower912

• All American
« Reply #343 on: June 05, 2020, 11:22:09 AM »
I appreciate warriordad laying to waste one of Chico's mewling canards.  Jamie always said that it doesn't matter what is said, it matters who says it.   Since WD is clearly not Chico's, but says the same things in the same way using much the same grammar,
 engendering the same visceral reactions, clearly it is what is said, not who says it.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2020, 11:37:12 AM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #344 on: June 05, 2020, 05:03:02 PM »
I appreciate warriordad laying to waste one of Chico's mewling canards.  Jamie always said that it doesn't matter what is said, it matters who says it.   Since WD is clearly not Chico's, but says the same things in the same way using much the same grammar,
 engendering the same visceral reactions, clearly it is what is said, not who says it.

More importantly, tower, that was one hell of a use of the word, "mewling." I hadn't heard that one in a long time. And in combination with "canards," to boot.

As Miss Moneypenny once told James Bond, "You're such a cunning linguist!"

tower912

• All American
« Reply #345 on: June 05, 2020, 05:05:15 PM »
What about 'engendering' and 'visceral?'
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

MU82

• All American
« Reply #346 on: June 05, 2020, 05:20:40 PM »
What about 'engendering' and 'visceral?'

Don't get greedy.

Besides, a very vindictive certain someone will not like it if he finds out you're the one who actually has the best words.

• All American
« Reply #347 on: June 23, 2020, 07:20:21 AM »
Norway, Denmark and Finland have all closed their borders to people from Sweden.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/22/world/europe/sweden-coronavirus-pariah-scandinavia.html?smtyp=cur&smid=tw-nytimes

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #348 on: June 23, 2020, 11:07:21 AM »
Sweden is also requiring ALL students to attend school. Pre-existing conditions or family members who are higher risk to the virus are not an excuse. If parents refuse to send their child to school, Social Services will be notified and parents could lose custody.

https://www.businessinsider.com/coronavirus-sweden-compels-parents-send-kids-to-school-2020-5

tower912

• All American
« Reply #349 on: June 23, 2020, 08:22:33 PM »
Norway, Denmark and Finland have all closed their borders to people from Sweden.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/22/world/europe/sweden-coronavirus-pariah-scandinavia.html?smtyp=cur&smid=tw-nytimes
And the EU is closing their borders to visitors from America.    Smart.   Don't let in people from countries that have failed to contain the virus.