[Today at 04:40:04 PM]

Where is Marquette? by Dr. Blackheart
[Today at 04:38:52 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by THRILLHO
[Today at 04:05:24 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Vaccine/Antibody updates  (Read 357718 times)

Galway Eagle

• All American
Re: Vaccine/Antibody updates
« Reply #500 on: November 17, 2020, 10:59:36 AM »
https://www.politico.com/states/california/story/2020/11/16/california-lawmakers-head-to-maui-with-lobbyists-despite-pandemic-travel-warnings-1336605

Thee, not me.

That's bad optics and uncool, really owe the public an apology. See what we did there? Now you try it with all the stupid stuff your guys have done  :)
Maigh Eo for Sam

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #501 on: November 17, 2020, 11:06:55 AM »
https://www.politico.com/states/california/story/2020/11/16/california-lawmakers-head-to-maui-with-lobbyists-despite-pandemic-travel-warnings-1336605

Thee, not me.

Reprehensible behavior, and a terrible headline. It was lawmakers from four states, including Texas and Washington. Very misleading to make this appear like it was California only.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #502 on: November 17, 2020, 11:27:45 AM »
Reprehensible behavior, and a terrible headline. It was lawmakers from four states, including Texas and Washington. Very misleading to make this appear like it was California only.

Direct your concerns to politico then.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #503 on: November 17, 2020, 11:29:34 AM »
That's bad optics and uncool, really owe the public an apology. See what we did there? Now you try it with all the stupid stuff your guys have done  :)

Both sides, aina.

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #504 on: November 17, 2020, 12:36:02 PM »
What a dumb thing to do. Dumb for the group organizing it, and dumb for the people who went.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #505 on: November 17, 2020, 12:38:07 PM »
The news keeps getting better.  There is a new study that points to long term immunity potential. Would be great news both for those who already had the disease but could also be good news for vaccination (don’t need annual shot).  Let’s hope the study holds up and plays out in practice.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/11/17/health/coronavirus-immunity.html

https://twitter.com/erictopol/status/1328764862487351296?s=21

tower912

• All American
« Reply #506 on: November 17, 2020, 01:10:32 PM »
It would be nice to not get this again for a few years.

But instead of an annual vaccine, a la a flu shot, get a 5 year booster, similar to a tetanus shot.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #507 on: November 17, 2020, 03:46:54 PM »
What's tower always say?  Always be science-ing.

Good news in the mid-term future if this pans out.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #508 on: November 17, 2020, 04:37:30 PM »
What's tower always say?  Always be science-ing.

Good news in the mid-term future if this pans out.

#keepsciencing

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #509 on: November 18, 2020, 12:07:26 AM »
Looks like we have Miss Dolly Parton to thank (at least partially) for the Moderna vaccine:

https://slate.com/culture/2020/11/dolly-parton-coronavirus-vaccine-podcast-explained.html
Have some patience, FFS.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #510 on: November 18, 2020, 05:50:02 AM »
Looks like we have Miss Dolly Parton to thank (at least partially) for the Moderna vaccine:

https://slate.com/culture/2020/11/dolly-parton-coronavirus-vaccine-podcast-explained.html

I saw a funny line yesterday that called for her next act to record a PSA for Vaccine to the tune of Jolene

MU82

• All American
« Reply #511 on: November 18, 2020, 07:25:31 AM »
More good news from Pfizer ...

Pfizer releases the final results of its Covid-19 vaccine trial. The drugmaker said today that its treatment was 95 percent effective and had no serious side effects, two weeks after its initial findings propelled hopes about coronavirus vaccines. Pfizer said it planned to apply for F.D.A. emergency authorization “within days,” and could have enough doses for 25 million people available by year end.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #512 on: November 18, 2020, 09:25:10 AM »
More good news from Pfizer ...

Pfizer releases the final results of its Covid-19 vaccine trial. The drugmaker said today that its treatment was 95 percent effective and had no serious side effects, two weeks after its initial findings propelled hopes about coronavirus vaccines. Pfizer said it planned to apply for F.D.A. emergency authorization “within days,” and could have enough doses for 25 million people available by year end.

Applying for the EUA is great news. And based on what is available on the safety side, it will absolutely be granted.

Now the rollout and ramping up production.

...technically I could craft my own vaccine based on the Pfizer data.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #513 on: November 18, 2020, 09:47:05 AM »
Applying for the EUA is great news. And based on what is available on the safety side, it will absolutely be granted.

Now the rollout and ramping up production.

...technically I could craft my own vaccine based on the Pfizer data.

Agreed - this is great news.

But the transition from producing thousands of doses for clinical trials, to hundreds of millions of doses for widespread public use is a challenge in the best of circumstances. Therefore the goal of vaccinating 22.5 to 25 million by the end of the year, or even the end of January, is a best-case scenario. And CDC estimates there are currently about 18 million healthcare workers in the US. When you add first responders like firefighters, police and such, it will probably take until February or March before they even get to the next high-risk groups like the elderly and seriously ill.

The rest of us can hope for vaccinations by maybe May or June if things go well.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #514 on: November 18, 2020, 09:53:14 AM »

Agreed - this is great news.

But the transition from producing thousands of doses for clinical trials, to hundreds of millions of doses for widespread public use is a challenge in the best of circumstances. Therefore the goal of vaccinating 22.5 to 25 million by the end of the year, or even the end of January, is a best-case scenario. And CDC estimates there are currently about 18 million healthcare workers in the US. When you add first responders like firefighters, police and such, it will probably take until February or March before they even get to the next high-risk groups like the elderly and seriously ill.

The rest of us can hope for vaccinations by maybe May or June if things go well.

In my state educators are considered front-line workers so we are on the same tier as medical workers. Not sure that I agree with that assessment, but it could mean that I am closer to the early rounds of dosing. Really all depends on which organizations though apply as "providers" and how the states approve each provider.

And although I could technically make my own. I wouldn't trust injecting it into an enemy. Too many variables and too much potential risk (although there are people out there already vaccinating themselves).

MU82

• All American
« Reply #515 on: November 19, 2020, 06:13:05 AM »
From NYT:

Dr. Anthony Fauci said that at least 75 percent of society would need to take the Covid-19 vaccine, even if it had 95 percent efficacy, before it was safe to stop wearing masks and social distancing. That’s a very high threshold considering how polarized things are in the U.S. over basic steps like masking, let alone getting a shot (perhaps twice). So returning to normality could take longer than imagined, which will matter for business plans and government policies.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #516 on: November 19, 2020, 07:05:21 AM »
There was a good WSJ podcast episode with Biden's coronavirus task force lead. She harped on the fact that the vaccine may prevent you from getting symptoms, but you could still spread the disease. They still don't have their hands wrapped around how many asymptomatic spreaders there are.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #517 on: November 19, 2020, 09:23:02 AM »
This was an interesting read ..

https://www.statnews.com/2020/11/19/self-interest-nudged-me-to-join-moderna-covid-19-vaccine-trial/

TLDR: Signed up for the study.  Got a shot, half chance it was a placebo but felt like he had a mild flu the next morning, knew it was real.

Month later, 2nd shot.  Doc told him the reaction to shot#2 is stronger.   Hours after shot, every muscle hurt, temp spiked to 99.9, felt like real flu.  Resolved 24 hours later.

In conclusion .. if this story is consistent .. the two shots are not gonna be particularly fun.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2020, 09:25:12 AM by mu_hilltopper »

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #518 on: November 19, 2020, 09:25:39 AM »

https://www.statnews.com/2020/11/19/self-interest-nudged-me-to-join-moderna-covid-19-vaccine-trial/

TLDR: Signed up for the study.  Got a shot, half chance it was a placebo but felt like he had a mild flu the next morning, new it was real.

Month later, 2nd shot.  Doc told him the reaction to shot#2 is stronger.   Hours after shot, every muscle hurt, temp spiked to 99.9, felt like real flu.  Resolved 24 hours later.

In conclusion .. if this story is consistent .. the two shots are not gonna be particularly fun.

Basically, everyone that gets the second shot will have a sick day the day after.  Or they get their shots on Fridays and Saturdays.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #519 on: November 19, 2020, 09:27:41 AM »

Let me tell you about my last 12 days...
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #520 on: November 19, 2020, 09:54:33 AM »

TLDR: Signed up for the study.  Got a shot, half chance it was a placebo but felt like he had a mild flu the next morning, knew it was real.

Unfortunate...but it beats the he!! out of getting Covid.

FWIW, the prevalence and severity of adverse reactions seems to be lower with the Pfizer vaccine. If this holds true, I'm gonna fight too get that one if I can...but I would still take the Moderna if it's the only one available to me.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/11/18/health/pfizer-covid-vaccine.html

Pfizer and BioNTech said that the vaccine’s efficacy was consistent across age, race and ethnicity. The most common serious adverse event was fatigue, with 3.7 percent of volunteers reporting tiredness after they took the second dose. Two percent of volunteers reported a headache after the second dose. Older adults reported fewer and milder side effects, the companies said.

https://www.businessinsider.com/moderna-coronavirus-vaccine-side-effects-covid-2020-11

The one serious side effect that occurred after the first dose was injection site pain, reported by 2.7% of participants. Here are the severe side effects that people in the trial reported after the second dose:

Fatigue in 9.7% of participants
Muscle aches in 8.9%
Joint aches in 5.2%
Headache in 4.5%
Pain at the injection site in 4.1%
Redness around the injection site in 2%

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #521 on: November 19, 2020, 09:59:02 AM »
From NYT:

Dr. Anthony Fauci said that at least 75 percent of society would need to take the Covid-19 vaccine, even if it had 95 percent efficacy, before it was safe to stop wearing masks and social distancing. That’s a very high threshold considering how polarized things are in the U.S. over basic steps like masking, let alone getting a shot (perhaps twice). So returning to normality could take longer than imagined, which will matter for business plans and government policies.

The ultimate irony: the people who complain most loudly about masks, business restrictions and vaccines will be the very ones to make masks and business restrictions necessary for a longer period oof time.

And they are completely oblivious to this reality.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #522 on: November 19, 2020, 10:12:01 AM »

Unfortunate...but it beats the he!! out of getting Covid.

FWIW, the prevalence and severity of adverse reactions seems to be lower with the Pfizer vaccine. If this holds true, I'm gonna fight too get that one if I can...but I would still take the Moderna if it's the only one available to me.

I too would prefer the Pfizer vaccine.

And based on what I've seen friends who are in tremendous shape go through. I'd do just about anything to get a vaccine now, I'll gladly take one day of mild flu like symptoms. Heck, I'll take a weekend of flu-like symptoms.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #523 on: November 19, 2020, 10:15:45 AM »
I have a feeling preferences are not going to matter.  Hopefully we have more choices by then too...I hear Oxford is close to reporting out.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #524 on: November 19, 2020, 10:22:22 AM »
I have a feeling preferences are not going to matter.  Hopefully we have more choices by then too...I hear Oxford is close to reporting out.

Every new one approved brings the timeline for everyone getting vaccinated and a return to normalcy that much closer.

If a vaccine were released that was say 70-80% effective would that still be put into production?
Maigh Eo for Sam