collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Vaccine/Antibody updates  (Read 357011 times)

shoothoops

• All American
Re: Vaccine/Antibody updates
« Reply #475 on: November 14, 2020, 03:26:42 PM »
You should just say your issue more plainly then.  You don’t believe people in the company should benefit from the value they created by solving a huge public need created by the virus. 

This literally has been the best news and biggest positive surprise of the pandemic.

If anything, this is my issue:

https://www.epi.org/publication/ceo-compensation-2018/

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #476 on: November 14, 2020, 04:27:05 PM »
If anything, this is my issue:

https://www.epi.org/publication/ceo-compensation-2018/

A fair issue for debate, but it goes WAY beyond Pfizer, its vaccine and the recent stock sales.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #477 on: November 15, 2020, 02:51:47 PM »
nm
« Last Edit: November 15, 2020, 03:09:01 PM by forgetful »

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #478 on: November 16, 2020, 06:06:51 AM »
Moderna 95% effective....

We now have at least two vaccines!

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #479 on: November 16, 2020, 07:40:32 AM »

Reading the science behind these is fascinating.  The capabilities of humanity is amazing.  I don’t think we can celebrate the work these people are putting in enough
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #480 on: November 16, 2020, 07:58:54 AM »
Are they able to be used in conjunction with another like how Pfizer's needs a 2nd dose, could you instead get moderna's? It'd help scaling it up in a huge way
Maigh Eo for Sam

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #481 on: November 16, 2020, 08:06:53 AM »
Are they able to be used in conjunction with another like how Pfizer's needs a 2nd dose, could you instead get moderna's? It'd help scaling it up in a huge way

Looking for the Long Island Tea approach to vaccine management?

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #482 on: November 16, 2020, 08:35:18 AM »
Fantastic news on the Moderna vaccine!

I don't think you'd use them together, but you could market both and people/docs could choose. Or maybe they'll restrict Moderna's initially to frontline workers and high risk patients, and Pfizer's to everyone else. Either way, BOTH are more effective than most have expected.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #483 on: November 16, 2020, 08:37:01 AM »
Moderna doesn't have the extreme requirements for storage and transport.     That will probably make it the vaccine of choice in the long run.     Each require two shots.     And we don't know how long they last.     

Still, progress.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #484 on: November 16, 2020, 09:01:13 AM »
Moderna is partnered with someone, iirc? They have never released a commercially viable product before...

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #485 on: November 16, 2020, 09:27:09 AM »

One point of clarity. These effectiveness claims are what they can currently claim based on existing data. The Moderna claim is based 95 total infections (90 in placebo; 5 in vaccine). Since both groups contained the same total number of patients (15,000), you can simplify the math to: (90-5)/90=94.4% efficacy.

Based on the numbers, I bet Moderna was close to being able to make their announcement around when Pfizer did, but Pfizer beat them to it, so they targeted the 95% effectiveness claim and needed to wait until a few more cases in the control group emerged.

Also, in both cases I wouldn't be surprised if the actual efficacy is higher. Without seeing all the data, some of the 5 infections in the vaccine group may have been before full immunity was achieved.

The good news is this means we have 2 highly effective vaccines. The bad news is by the end of the year, they think they will only have enough doses to vaccinate 35 million people combined, and not all of those will go to the US.

We really have to thank decisions made during the Bush (and accelerated under Obama) for these breakthroughs. Bush recognized a need to develop new and improved technology for vaccines and funded DARPA to do it. These results emerged from those initiatives. Incidentally, because of the first SARS outbreak at a similar time as the initial rounds of funding, we also benefitted from prior experience on a very closely related disease with this technology.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #486 on: November 16, 2020, 09:36:56 AM »
Both administrations created pandemic plans.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #487 on: November 16, 2020, 09:57:43 AM »
We really have to thank decisions made during the Bush (and accelerated under Obama) for these breakthroughs. Bush recognized a need to develop new and improved technology for vaccines and funded DARPA to do it. These results emerged from those initiatives. Incidentally, because of the first SARS outbreak at a similar time as the initial rounds of funding, we also benefitted from prior experience on a very closely related disease with this technology.

We all stand on the shoulders of Giants.

Really glad to see the upcoming administration and the current bureaucrats changing the messaging on what we need to do.  Targeted interventions, light at the end of the tunnel, short-term sacrifice for a big payoff of normalcy.  I hope others jump on board.

By the way its great to see France checking their resurgence.  It shows that the targeted intervention method works.  It is broadly the same as what MI implemented....

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #488 on: November 16, 2020, 10:23:21 AM »
Also, big Kudos to CEPI and the Gates foundation for pioneering and funding work on these vaccines within 2-days of China announcing the sequence.

I think they are not getting credit for their contributions, because of the backlash and conspiracy theories revolving around Gates.

Note: Not surprising that a certain individual is claiming credit for what these groups led, funded, and pioneered.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #489 on: November 16, 2020, 12:55:51 PM »
Also, big Kudos to CEPI and the Gates foundation for pioneering and funding work on these vaccines within 2-days of China announcing the sequence.

I think they are not getting credit for their contributions, because of the backlash and conspiracy theories revolving around Gates.

Note: Not surprising that a certain individual is claiming credit for what these groups led, funded, and pioneered.

Gates Foundation was vital to not just this effort, but to health initiatives - especially for women - around the world.

Melinda is very smart women who has made a difference in many countries. When she was asked a couple months ago to give a grade to trump’s actions on Covid, she gave him a D-. I think she was trying to be nice.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2020, 12:58:09 PM by Jockey »

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #490 on: November 16, 2020, 04:55:05 PM »
As long as I get to go to first round NCAAs this year.  Vaccine March 1st, on a plane March 17th, hanging with 20k other vaccinated folks March 18th/20th.

I've got some bridges (and vials of vaccines) to sell you :)

I blame you Rocky:  ;D

NCAA planning to host the entire men's March Madness in Indianapolis

https://www.cnn.com/2020/11/16/us/ncaa-march-madness-indianapolis-trnd-spt/index.html

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #491 on: November 16, 2020, 05:05:49 PM »
I blame you Rocky:  ;D

Unlike some, I accept full blame!  But I still have some bridges left if you're in need :)

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #492 on: November 16, 2020, 05:42:53 PM »
Late to the game but signed up for J&J's vaccine trials at U of Chicago.

Hope I get selected
Maigh Eo for Sam

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #493 on: November 17, 2020, 09:17:25 AM »
With the first vaccine rollouts about a month away, who thinks the distribution will be even remotely equitable?

Or will rollouts to non-medical workers largely based on access and financial well being.

I have a feeling there will be a lot of wealthy people with bone-spurs qualifying as "high-risk".

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #494 on: November 17, 2020, 09:48:21 AM »
With the first vaccine rollouts about a month away, who thinks the distribution will be even remotely equitable?

Or will rollouts to non-medical workers largely based on access and financial well being.

I have a feeling there will be a lot of wealthy people with bone-spurs qualifying as "high-risk".

Absolutely.

Ever seen the movie Elysium? That's where we're headed.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #495 on: November 17, 2020, 10:28:34 AM »

You mean the same ones that get to go on vacation all over the world on private jets?

I'm truly shocked.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #496 on: November 17, 2020, 10:31:06 AM »
You mean the same ones that get to go on vacation all over the world on private jets?

I'm truly shocked.

Places like Maui?

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #497 on: November 17, 2020, 10:45:22 AM »
Places like Maui?

I don't get this reference.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #499 on: November 17, 2020, 10:57:42 AM »
Well, that is dumb.