collapse

* Recent Posts

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 12:10:57 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Vaccine/Antibody updates  (Read 358905 times)

Uncle Rico

• All American
Re: Vaccine/Antibody updates
« Reply #425 on: November 10, 2020, 08:38:13 AM »
Did they give a reason? It seems to be far enough removed from the government that a substandard vaccine isn’t being approved for political reasons.

One said they’ve never taken a flu shot, so he’s not going to take this one.  The other one said he just wasn’t taking it.  Both lean right, one way right.  To be fair, another person I know that lean way right is taking it as soon as he can
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #426 on: November 10, 2020, 09:05:15 AM »
One said they’ve never taken a flu shot, so he’s not going to take this one.  The other one said he just wasn’t taking it.  Both lean right, one way right.  To be fair, another person I know that lean way right is taking it as soon as he can

Sounds like it’s a view on vaccines in general versus the politicization risk that was building pre election

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #427 on: November 10, 2020, 10:05:33 AM »
Had two people tell me yesterday they won’t take it
I'd wait a few months before taking it to see if any zombie-like side effects appear.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #428 on: November 10, 2020, 10:05:44 AM »
Sounds like it’s a view on vaccines in general versus the politicization risk that was building pre election

Yep...especially the person who said they'd never had a flu shot.

Anyhow, I hope your theory plays out the way you suggest...that the distance Pfizer kept between their vaccine and the politics will encourage more people to be confident in its safety and efficacy.

On a related note, infectious disease experts at Mayo Clinic are very excited about the potential of this vaccine.

https://www.medcitybeat.com/news-blog/2020/mayo-researchers-respond-pfizer-vaccine-results

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #429 on: November 10, 2020, 10:08:01 AM »
I'd wait a few months before taking it to see if any zombie-like side effects appear.

I have a feeling that anyone outside of frontline healthcare workers will be waiting a few months whether they like it or not. If our doctors and nurses aren't turning into zombies by the time the rest of us can get it, that will be good enough for me.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #430 on: November 10, 2020, 10:55:36 AM »

Entirely possible but it’s still disappointing
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #431 on: November 10, 2020, 10:59:45 AM »

I have a feeling that anyone outside of frontline healthcare workers will be waiting a few months whether they like it or not. If our doctors and nurses aren't turning into zombies by the time the rest of us can get it, that will be good enough for me.

^^^^
This, I want to know its safe and effective, but there's really no chance "regular folks" are getting a vaccine until maybe March (earliest - I've head that's the target for elder/at risk patients). In a perfect world first doses are in Dec, but quantities won't be there until mid-late 2021 for the rest of us.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #432 on: November 10, 2020, 11:23:11 AM »
^^^^
This, I want to know its safe and effective, but there's really no chance "regular folks" are getting a vaccine until maybe March (earliest - I've head that's the target for elder/at risk patients). In a perfect world first doses are in Dec, but quantities won't be there until mid-late 2021 for the rest of us.

That's what the experts have said all along, but people don't wanna do science.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #433 on: November 10, 2020, 01:26:59 PM »
^^^^
As long as I get to go to first round NCAAs this year.  Vaccine March 1st, on a plane March 17th, hanging with 20k other vaccinated folks March 18th/20th.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #434 on: November 10, 2020, 01:29:47 PM »
Holding out hope for the J&J one, as I believe it is the only major player testing out a single dose.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #435 on: November 10, 2020, 01:36:38 PM »
As long as I get to go to first round NCAAs this year.  Vaccine March 1st, on a plane March 17th, hanging with 20k other vaccinated folks March 18th/20th.

I've got some bridges (and vials of vaccines) to sell you :)

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #436 on: November 10, 2020, 02:09:34 PM »

So you arent waiting for EU approval anymore?  Hyperbole much?

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #437 on: November 10, 2020, 02:10:18 PM »
I've got some bridges (and vials of vaccines) to sell you :)
Quit crushing my fantasy world.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #438 on: November 10, 2020, 02:43:05 PM »
So you arent waiting for EU approval anymore?  Hyperbole much?

My guess is of had been an OWS company that he'd still be waiting on EU approval. Different situation when it a non politicized company. 
Maigh Eo for Sam

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #439 on: November 10, 2020, 03:01:20 PM »
Pence said this was the result of their unprecedented public-private partnership. That is false. It was done without government funds or direction.

If someone wants to give a president credit. First credit goes to George Bush, who created the initiative to greatly expand vaccine technology that directly led to the methodologies used here. Second credit goes to Obama, who expanded that initiative.

Without them, the decades+ of research that allowed this to be done at all, and also as quickly as it was, would be non-existent.
Didn't the government pre-pay for $2 billion worth of doses

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #440 on: November 10, 2020, 03:04:03 PM »
Didn't the government pre-pay for $2 billion worth of doses

No.  The government agreed to pay $2 billion for 100 million doses if it proved to be effective.  This purchasing program is part of Warp Speed as well.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #441 on: November 10, 2020, 03:08:11 PM »
No.  The government agreed to pay $2 billion for 100 million doses if it proved to be effective.  This purchasing program is part of Warp Speed as well.
Thanks.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #442 on: November 10, 2020, 03:36:48 PM »
My guess is of had been an OWS company that he'd still be waiting on EU approval. Different situation when it a non politicized company.

We have a winner!

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #443 on: November 10, 2020, 06:16:25 PM »

Yeah it takes just a little common sense to figure out.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #444 on: November 11, 2020, 12:12:36 PM »

We have a winner!

FDA still has to approve it.  Too political still?

Mainly busting balls, BLM doesnt get it (doesnt get much) but figured you would.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #445 on: November 11, 2020, 12:27:48 PM »
FDA still has to approve it.  Too political still?

Mainly busting balls, BLM doesnt get it (doesnt get much) but figured you would.

Ouch!

Can you blame me, though?  I'm just a rich white kid, ai'na?
« Last Edit: November 11, 2020, 12:35:14 PM by BLM »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #446 on: November 11, 2020, 03:51:42 PM »
Ouch!

Can you blame me, though?  I'm just a rich white kid, ai'na?

You should change your screen name to white privilege.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #447 on: November 11, 2020, 03:54:03 PM »
You should change your screen name to white privilege.

Appreciate the recommendation.  BLM triggers enough snowflakes around here, so I think I'll stick with what I've got.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #448 on: November 12, 2020, 07:03:20 AM »
Not the best optics ...

From the WSJ:

Shortly after Pfizer’s share price surged Monday on news that its coronavirus vaccine was 90 percent effective, CEO Albert Bourla sold $5.6 million in company shares, amounting to 60 percent of his holdings. And he’s not alone: Execs at Moderna and Novavax did the same thing after positive news broke about their vaccines.

The companies, and even savvy investors, say it’s not unusual. Such executives often keep their shares in programs that unload company stock on predetermined dates or when prices hit certain targets. Nonetheless, some experts say it could erode confidence in the vaccines, which most Americans are already skeptical of.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #449 on: November 12, 2020, 07:26:09 AM »
Not the best optics ...

From the WSJ:

Shortly after Pfizer’s share price surged Monday on news that its coronavirus vaccine was 90 percent effective, CEO Albert Bourla sold $5.6 million in company shares, amounting to 60 percent of his holdings. And he’s not alone: Execs at Moderna and Novavax did the same thing after positive news broke about their vaccines.

The companies, and even savvy investors, say it’s not unusual. Such executives often keep their shares in programs that unload company stock on predetermined dates or when prices hit certain targets. Nonetheless, some experts say it could erode confidence in the vaccines, which most Americans are already skeptical of.
Some would say it was bad optics to hold off the announcement of 90% effectiveness until1 week after the election.