[Today at 04:39:02 PM]

NIL Future by Uncle Rico
[Today at 03:56:29 PM]

Shaka's 2023-2024 Season Accomplishments by LloydsLegs
[Today at 02:48:52 PM]

MU Gear by MUfan12
[Today at 01:31:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Vaccine/Antibody updates  (Read 369174 times)

shoothoops

• All American
Re: Vaccine/Antibody updates
« Reply #375 on: November 09, 2020, 08:25:55 AM »
If, a big if, Pfizer's vaccine becomes available in later 2021, the important part...

"The vaccine will be available for free to all Americans."

Also of note, Pfizer didn't take any federal money and was not a part of operation Warp Speed.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2020, 08:29:54 AM by shoothoops »

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #376 on: November 09, 2020, 08:30:12 AM »
Pfizer is the hardest to distribute however.  Two doses and cold storage.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #377 on: November 09, 2020, 08:30:39 AM »
I didn’t know this...from the times article

“We were never part of the Warp Speed,” she said. “We have never taken any money from the U.S. government, or from anyone.”

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #378 on: November 09, 2020, 08:34:07 AM »
Good to see this quote from the Post report. 

“The results are really quite good, I mean extraordinary,” said Anthony S. Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, adding that the results might bode well for a vaccine being developed by biotech firm Moderna and his institute that uses a similar technology, “which gives you hope we might even have two vaccines.”

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #379 on: November 09, 2020, 08:37:13 AM »
Also great news.  The fact the virologists are so excited really leave me encouraged.  They have been a tough bunch urging caution with all treatments and developments along the way. 

https://twitter.com/florian_krammer/status/1325806460937392128?s=21

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #380 on: November 09, 2020, 08:40:39 AM »
So when do their trials conclude that this'd even begin to go to production?
Maigh Eo for Sam

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #381 on: November 09, 2020, 08:48:20 AM »

I think the latter is already happening.  From what i have read, the trial will continue to conclusion, however this gives them almost enough info to do an emergency use authorization (need a few more weeks of safety data).  That allows them to give it to healthcare workers and high risk in the interim.  For the 'people' this is a 21 event (maybe even mid year or entering fall)

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #382 on: November 09, 2020, 08:50:04 AM »
I think the latter is already happening.  From what i have read, the trial will continue to conclusion, however this gives them almost enough info to do an emergency use authorization (need a few more weeks of safety data).  That allows them to give it to healthcare workers and high risk in the interim.  For the 'people' this is a 21 event (maybe even mid year or entering fall)

So now's the time to carb up to obese levels, start smoking and really play up seasonal asthma if I want to get it?
Maigh Eo for Sam

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #383 on: November 09, 2020, 08:51:57 AM »
So now's the time to carb up to obese levels, start smoking and really play up seasonal asthma if I want to get it?

I think you would have better luck if you move into a nursing home.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #384 on: November 09, 2020, 08:56:21 AM »
Join your local police/fire/EMS department.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #385 on: November 09, 2020, 09:06:09 AM »
This is great news!

As others have mentioned...given the temperature requirements and the need for two doses, we need to be prepared for several more months of masks, social distancing and other precautions. I hope the news doesn't cause the public to let its guard down even further than it already has.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #386 on: November 09, 2020, 09:22:42 AM »

Roughly speaking, if all is successful, and, that is a big if, April ish at the earliest for more mass distribution according to those working on it.

The key takeaway from this story is the more about the 90% efficacy so far which is very encouraging.

The hope is that there could be multiple vaccines available, Spring, Summer, or Fall of 2021.

We'll see.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #387 on: November 09, 2020, 09:28:27 AM »
This is great news!

As others have mentioned...given the temperature requirements and the need for two doses, we need to be prepared for several more months of masks, social distancing and other precautions. I hope the news doesn't cause the public to let its guard down even further than it already has.

I am just so happy for the healthcare workers.  It's going to be a tough winter and they will be protected.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #388 on: November 09, 2020, 09:34:15 AM »
I didn’t know this...from the times article

“We were never part of the Warp Speed,” she said. “We have never taken any money from the U.S. government, or from anyone.”

This hasn't stopped those in power from claiming credit.

But the important thing is they need 2 more months of data analysis/collection, and then can begin distribution. Excellent news.

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #389 on: November 09, 2020, 09:44:44 AM »
This hasn't stopped those in power from claiming credit.

But the important thing is they need 2 more months of data analysis/collection, and then can begin distribution. Excellent news.

Why 2 more months before they can get EUA at minimum?  Why such a specific timeline needed before distribution?

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #390 on: November 09, 2020, 09:50:10 AM »
Why 2 more months before they can get EUA at minimum?  Why such a specific timeline needed before distribution?

I would guess the timelines around vaccines are pretty rigid, even when being fast tracked. Regardless of when Inauguration Day is.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #391 on: November 09, 2020, 09:54:46 AM »
Because there are specific protocols to go through.   Pfizer says they won't be done with their test before the end of November.  Then they will present their findings.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/pfizer-biontech-covid-19-vaccine-114500360.html

Actually in the link provided earlier in the thread.    I know, because I read the link before I shared it.   
« Last Edit: November 09, 2020, 09:57:51 AM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #392 on: November 09, 2020, 09:55:31 AM »

For EUA it is being reported they need a few more weeks (not months) of safety data -- which will give them the 2 months required.

From the NY Times report:

"Pfizer plans to ask the Food and Drug Administration for emergency authorization of the two-dose vaccine later this month, after it has collected the recommended two months of safety data. By the end of the year it will have manufactured enough doses to immunize 15 to 20 million people, company executives have said."

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #393 on: November 09, 2020, 10:01:17 AM »

The article I read said they wanted 2 more months of data. I think it was partially inaccurate (likely journalist mis-stating aspects of an interview), in that they need a minimum of 2-months of safety data. Looks to be on track for initial use by late December.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2020, 10:03:18 AM by forgetful »

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #394 on: November 09, 2020, 10:02:16 AM »
Multiple healthcare profs are highlighting this thread if you want to know what this means and doesn’t mean (trial wise) and why continuing the trial is important.

https://twitter.com/nataliexdean/status/1325820512946302977?s=21

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #395 on: November 09, 2020, 10:07:54 AM »
Interesting question now regarding possible shutdowns. Does this change the calculus. We can be reasonably confident now that there will be a vaccine readily available in 3-6 months.

With things as bad as they are, and getting worse. Do you focus on saving lives with another shutdown, knowing that in 3-6 months no more shutdowns would be needed?

If for no other reason, to avoid the risk of a mutated form (see minks) that may be resistant to the vaccine. More spread, more chance of mutation.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #396 on: November 09, 2020, 10:15:34 AM »
Interesting question now regarding possible shutdowns. Does this change the calculus. We can be reasonably confident now that there will be a vaccine readily available in 3-6 months.

With things as bad as they are, and getting worse. Do you focus on saving lives with another shutdown, knowing that in 3-6 months no more shutdowns would be needed?

If for no other reason, to avoid the risk of a mutated form (see minks) that may be resistant to the vaccine. More spread, more chance of mutation.

From a scientific perspective, you have a great point. There is a very good argument that can be made to shut things down for several weeks to tamp down the current exponential growth, and to reduce the risk of further mutations.

But I fear politicians and the general public will be influenced by the headline, making it a difficult (impossible?) sell. As I indicated earlier, my biggest fear is that this causes even more lax compliance with, and enforcement of, social distancing and mask requirements.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #397 on: November 09, 2020, 10:47:44 AM »
If I were to bet, from here forward shut-downs are going to be dictated at the local and state level and will be based on hospital stress.  Also, we know more about what needs to close, so more targeted versus blanket.

Like this:

https://kutv.com/news/coronavirus/gov-herbert-declares-new-state-of-emergency-to-address-hospital-overcrowding-case-surge

Also notice who was referenced as providing advice from the the Feds.

All this news makes the Scott Atlas experiment look really silly...
« Last Edit: November 09, 2020, 10:49:18 AM by Frenns Liquor Depot »

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #398 on: November 09, 2020, 10:51:48 AM »

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #399 on: November 09, 2020, 11:19:09 AM »
Actually in the link provided earlier in the thread.    I know, because I read the link before I shared it.
Nice
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.