[Today at 11:26:20 AM]

NC State by MUMountin
[Today at 11:25:44 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 11:15:58 AM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[Today at 10:50:38 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Vaccine/Antibody updates  (Read 357161 times)

tower912

• All American
Re: Vaccine/Antibody updates
« Reply #125 on: May 27, 2020, 07:45:20 PM »
I will as soon as one is available.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #126 on: May 28, 2020, 10:57:08 AM »
So even if we get a vaccine, only half of Americans say they would get one.

https://apnews.com/dacdc8bc428dd4df6511bfa259cfec44

The people who say no or aren’t sure are probably a combination of anti-vaxxers, people who still think “it’s all a hoax,” and people like me who always get recommended vaccines, but are concerned about long-term side effects that could be missed by speeding through this too quickly.

My decision on when to get it would depend on what mood Bill Gates is in, and what he'd make me do once I'm being controlled.

I'd likely wait to get it, to 1) let more vulnerable people have it and 2) make sure nothing goes wrong with it.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #127 on: May 28, 2020, 10:59:57 AM »
My decision on when to get it would depend on what mood Bill Gates is in, and what he'd make me do once I'm being controlled.

I'd likely wait to get it, to 1) let more vulnerable people have it and 2) make sure nothing goes wrong with it.

This. If someone's unemployed and needs to get back to work let them take it, let the vulnerable who are against the wall get it. My job was already three days a week from home and I can deal just running to Home Depot and the grocer for awhile longer while the vaccine is fine tuned.
Maigh Eo for Sam

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #128 on: June 01, 2020, 09:53:05 AM »
Wouldn’t be counting on Moderna’s vaccine. If it really was promising, execs wouldn’t be dumping stock.

Moderna unveiled encouraging coronavirus vaccine results. Then top execs dumped nearly $30 million of stock

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/22/investing/moderna-coronavirus-vaccine-stock-sales/index.html

Update:

Moderna's coronavirus vaccine announcement set off a frenzy on Wall Street. Now some are calling for an investigation
https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/01/business/moderna-vaccine-stock-sales-invs/index.html

Just hours after revealing the promising vaccine results, Moderna (MRNA) sold 17.6 million shares to the public. That share sale, unveiled after the closing bell on May 18, was priced at $76; Moderna traded at just $48 as recently as May 6. The deal instantly raised $1.3 billion.

Days later, Moderna's leading shareholder, venture capital firm Flagship Pioneering, sold 1 million shares on May 21 and 22 at an average price of $69.47, according to filings reviewed by CNN Business. The sales raked in $69.5 million for the venture capital firm.
Flagship Pioneering was founded by Noubar Afeyan, the co-founder and chairman of Moderna. The VC firm owned nearly 51 million Moderna shares as of the end of March, according to the most recent filings.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #129 on: June 01, 2020, 03:39:56 PM »
Update:

Moderna's coronavirus vaccine announcement set off a frenzy on Wall Street. Now some are calling for an investigation
https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/01/business/moderna-vaccine-stock-sales-invs/index.html

Just hours after revealing the promising vaccine results, Moderna (MRNA) sold 17.6 million shares to the public. That share sale, unveiled after the closing bell on May 18, was priced at $76; Moderna traded at just $48 as recently as May 6. The deal instantly raised $1.3 billion.

Days later, Moderna's leading shareholder, venture capital firm Flagship Pioneering, sold 1 million shares on May 21 and 22 at an average price of $69.47, according to filings reviewed by CNN Business. The sales raked in $69.5 million for the venture capital firm.
Flagship Pioneering was founded by Noubar Afeyan, the co-founder and chairman of Moderna. The VC firm owned nearly 51 million Moderna shares as of the end of March, according to the most recent filings.

Sad, but not uncommon at all. The rich remain rich because they have the advantage over others. There will never be a level playing field.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #130 on: June 01, 2020, 04:49:45 PM »
Sad, but not uncommon at all. The rich remain rich because they have the advantage over others. There will never be a level playing field.

Hmm.. whatever happened to the investigations of the congressional insider trading?

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #131 on: June 02, 2020, 09:01:00 AM »
Hmm.. whatever happened to the investigations of the congressional insider trading?

It was dropped by DOJ for all except the NC senator that was critical of trump.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #132 on: June 02, 2020, 11:04:46 AM »

Besides the NC senator, the DOJ investigated and didn't find a case.

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2020/5/27/21271726/kelly-loeffler-senators-investigation-insider-trading

It was dropped by DOJ for all except the NC senator that was critical of trump.

Good one!  Your a genious.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #133 on: June 02, 2020, 12:03:08 PM »
Good one!  Your a genious.

Sometimes jokes write themselves.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #134 on: June 02, 2020, 12:07:38 PM »

Apparently teal is still needed for smart people such as yourself.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #135 on: June 02, 2020, 12:10:32 PM »
Apparently teal is still needed for smart people such as yourself.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #136 on: June 02, 2020, 12:11:43 PM »

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #137 on: June 02, 2020, 12:19:03 PM »

I see what you did there.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #138 on: June 02, 2020, 12:31:02 PM »
Scott Gottlieb's opinion on how fast a vaccine can progress.  Interesting to not lose the over-arching goal -- convincing people to take the vaccine (trust). 

https://www.wsj.com/articles/a-fast-coronavirus-vaccine-without-cutting-corners-11590954444

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #139 on: June 02, 2020, 10:03:23 PM »
Ok, I'm fairly concerned about what is being said regarding vaccines by Fauci. He said today, that by the end of the year, there will be 100 million doses of one candidate vaccine. And then a couple 100 million doses in early 2021. Apparently that vaccine is the Moderna vaccine.

What concerns me is that hasn't been really fully tested yet. Moreover, looking at some of the vaccine candidates out there, it doesn't even strike me as the most promising, might not even be in the top 3 most promising. But we are putting all our eggs in that basket.

Something doesn't sound right about that.

Also, it pretty much guarantees they will push this vaccine, even if it isn't very effective. They will have little other option.

So why Moderna? They have failed at every vaccine/drug they've tried. Their data isn't that great. What is going on?

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #140 on: June 02, 2020, 10:10:27 PM »
Ok, I'm fairly concerned about what is being said regarding vaccines by Fauci. He said today, that by the end of the year, there will be 100 million doses of one candidate vaccine. And then a couple 100 million doses in early 2021. Apparently that vaccine is the Moderna vaccine.

What concerns me is that hasn't been really fully tested yet. Moreover, looking at some of the vaccine candidates out there, it doesn't even strike me as the most promising, might not even be in the top 3 most promising. But we are putting all our eggs in that basket.

Also, it pretty much guarantees they will push this vaccine, even if it isn't very effective. They will have little other option.

So why Moderna? They have failed at every vaccine/drug they've tried. Their data isn't that great. What is going on?

Yep. Completely understandable that they would manufacture the most promising vaccines ahead of time...but I share your concern with the Moderna vaccine being one of them. Hopefully they are making similar manufacturing arrangements with makers of more promising candidates.

If the Moderna is approved and released first, they may very well have a hard time convincing people to take it.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #141 on: June 02, 2020, 10:27:44 PM »

Yep. Completely understandable that they would manufacture the most promising vaccines ahead of time...but I share your concern with the Moderna vaccine being one of them. Hopefully they are making similar manufacturing arrangements with makers of more promising candidates.

If the Moderna is approved and released first, they may very well have a hard time convincing people to take it.

I agree. Planning to mass manufacture the most promising vaccine ahead of time was a great idea. It is one of the things I thought that was forward thinking by the administration. I'm hoping that CNN misquoted him, saying that it was Moderna's vaccine that was going to be mass produced, and what he really meant/said was that the best candidate will be mass produced.

I'm just concerned, because people, including Trump and Fauci, seem politically and intellectually invested in Moderna's vaccine. I now fear it gets pushed regardless of which is best.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #142 on: June 02, 2020, 10:39:13 PM »

What's the worst that could happen? They had great results with ordering those masks from the company that never made them before.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #143 on: June 02, 2020, 11:10:20 PM »
I agree. Planning to mass manufacture the most promising vaccine ahead of time was a great idea. It is one of the things I thought that was forward thinking by the administration. I'm hoping that CNN misquoted him, saying that it was Moderna's vaccine that was going to be mass produced, and what he really meant/said was that the best candidate will be mass produced.

I'm just concerned, because people, including Trump and Fauci, seem politically and intellectually invested in Moderna's vaccine. I now fear it gets pushed regardless of which is best.

The most promising candidates seem to be from China and England. That shouldn’t be a factor - I sure hope it isn’t- but you never know.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #144 on: June 03, 2020, 08:09:18 AM »

The most promising candidates seem to be from China and England. That shouldn’t be a factor - I sure hope it isn’t- but you never know.

It certainly will be on who gets the vaccine first, as it will take years to create enough of them.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #145 on: June 04, 2020, 09:37:22 AM »

Sounds like Fauci mis-spoke or maybe a misinterpretation what he was saying.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/03/us/politics/coronavirus-vaccine-trump-moderna.html

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #146 on: June 04, 2020, 01:21:56 PM »

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/03/us/politics/coronavirus-vaccine-trump-moderna.html

I'm glad they aren't putting all their eggs in one basket...but I think it's unfortunate that Chinese companies CanSino and Sinovac aren't on the list, as they have two of the most promising candidates IMHO.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #147 on: June 04, 2020, 01:56:23 PM »

Very glad to hear that.

I'm glad they aren't putting all their eggs in one basket...but I think it's unfortunate that Chinese companies CanSino and Sinovac aren't on the list, as they have two of the most promising candidates IMHO.

And agreed.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #148 on: June 22, 2020, 07:37:07 AM »

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #149 on: June 22, 2020, 07:46:36 AM »
If this holds it doesn't bode well for ever achieving herd immunity.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/06/18/coronavirus-antibodies-may-last-only-2-to-3-months-after-infection-study-suggests.html

I've only heard the herd immunity 'argument' from people that aren't scientifically literate. I've seen a few estimates about what % of the population has been infected so far and no country is close to herd immunity, even if getting sick meant that you would be immune forever. With COVID's R0 at a currently estimated ~5.5, we would need 85% of the population to become immune before cases stop dropping on their own (assuming no treatment and no vaccine, which is where we'll be for the next 6+ months).

This isn't the best source for % of each country's population infected, but it's easy to read and it's in the ballpark of what I've read elsewhere.