[April 26, 2024, 10:00:30 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by avid1010
[April 26, 2024, 07:48:11 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Senate and WH Agree on Terms of Stimulus Package  (Read 59346 times)

Hards Alumni

• All American
Re: Senate and WH Agree on Terms of Stimulus Package
« Reply #275 on: April 25, 2020, 04:04:53 PM »
I know people who are working and got stimulus checks. There are many. It’s bonus pay for them; they love it.

I realize there’s no easy way to determine who gets it and who doesn’t, but I will point out it’s unfair, discretionary and lacking logic. I kindly ask you to send me money to help me feel better. Thanks!

Sure there is.  Did you make over 75k?  Then you don't get it.  Pretty easy.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #276 on: April 25, 2020, 04:17:21 PM »
Sure there is.  Did you make over 75k?  Then you don't get it.  Pretty easy.

Oh, it’s very understandable (and your #’s are WRONG), but any logic behind it is lacking.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #277 on: April 25, 2020, 05:05:29 PM »
Oh, it’s very understandable (and your #’s are WRONG), but any logic behind it is lacking.

I don't care about the numbers, and the frankly don't matter.  A line has to be drawn in the sand.  It isn't hard.  They chose one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5QGkOGZubQ

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #278 on: April 25, 2020, 05:58:59 PM »
I don't care about the numbers, and the frankly don't matter.  A line has to be drawn in the sand.  It isn't hard.  They chose one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5QGkOGZubQ

Horrible line and without any sound reasoning. Lazy. And discriminatory!
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #279 on: April 26, 2020, 10:58:54 AM »
Horrible line and without any sound reasoning. Lazy. And discriminatory!

Pretty ironic coming from you.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #280 on: May 07, 2020, 03:52:32 PM »
Possible corporate lobbyist bailout in next stimulus bill. Unbelievable.

https://theintercept.com/2020/05/05/lobbyists-trade-groups-bailout/

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #281 on: May 07, 2020, 04:22:30 PM »
Possible corporate lobbyist bailout in next stimulus bill. Unbelievable.

https://theintercept.com/2020/05/05/lobbyists-trade-groups-bailout/

Set out a billion dollar trough and the pigs are bound to show up.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #282 on: May 09, 2020, 08:20:32 PM »
Overheard two twenty-something's talking in the park today. Mentioned their poor co-worker that has to go in 6 days a week, while they sit at home and collect more money than they would working. Talking about all the crap they were buying with the extra money.

Sigh...I mentioned before, I wish the fed govt would have thought about something like the CCC. Volunteer your time to improve public places and earn an extra $600 per week. 

Nope, here's some cash, buy some crap on Amazon. Have fun!

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #283 on: May 09, 2020, 08:45:19 PM »
Overheard two twenty-something's talking in the park today. Mentioned their poor co-worker that has to go in 6 days a week, while they sit at home and collect more money than they would working. Talking about all the crap they were buying with the extra money.

Sigh...I mentioned before, I wish the fed govt would have thought about something like the CCC. Volunteer your time to improve public places and earn an extra $600 per week. 

Hey now, remember when I posted this exact same thing weeks ago and you all blasted me for it. No?  :-\

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #284 on: May 09, 2020, 08:55:20 PM »
Hey now, remember when I posted this exact same thing weeks ago and you all blasted me for it. No?  :-\

All depends on who posts it, aina?

Edit:  not a knock on wocky necessarily, but rather on the mope summit squad.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2020, 09:04:55 PM by ZiggysFryBoy »

tower912

• All American
« Reply #285 on: May 09, 2020, 08:58:50 PM »
It is good to be a moderator. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #286 on: May 10, 2020, 01:49:42 AM »

This thread?  https://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=60355.0

I didn't reply or post in that thread at all.  Don't lump everyone together.   Other than this post where I mentioned the CCC the first time, I don't think I've commented on unemployment perks.

https://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=59849.msg1227859#msg1227859

Anyhow, because of virus spread, and PPE, my CCC idea probably isn't feasible.  Also just disappointing that when given some extra dough, "kids these days" are blowing it rather than thinking maybe they should save some for a rainy day.  I guess I should thank them for keeping the economy humming...
« Last Edit: May 10, 2020, 02:03:29 AM by rocky_warrior »

D'Lo Brown

• All American
« Reply #287 on: May 10, 2020, 06:27:41 AM »

Couldn't possibly agree more. My upstairs neighbors all worked part time or less prior & the days after the shutdown started, they threw a couple parties bigger than any they'd ever had. Those that were already on state assistance & getting 90% of their rent paid, food, etc (a surprisingly large population of people in my current state of CA) - life is better for them than ever. They don't even have any concerns about eventually having to pay back the rent because the payments they're missing are inconsequential.

$1,200 for hard working, honest people doesn't get you anywhere, but if you're already a scammer, you'd be surprised how far you can stretch that when you're already used to doing so. It gives you even less reason to contribute.

I'm against giving anyone anywhere free money. The payments could've surely been targeted better but even still, any money we continue to hand out should have an IOU on it, whether it be on your next tax bill or for a promise of labor/volunteering/service during the rebuild. Everyone is capable of fulfilling that. If you can't then don't take it.

I'm a gay Democrat & I'm 30.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2020, 06:29:50 AM by The Hamberdler »

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #288 on: May 10, 2020, 07:23:19 AM »
The program isn't perfect, but paying people who don't "deserve" it is better than not supporting people who do. 

And we give people "free" money all of the time through various tax breaks and credits.  We let people carry forward capital losses for years, if not decades, completely wiping out their tax liability before electing them president. 

I think society can handle some young people partying it up a little with their unemployment money.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2020, 07:29:43 AM by Fluffy Blue Monster »
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

tower912

• All American
« Reply #289 on: May 10, 2020, 07:39:41 AM »
Some people say...
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #290 on: May 10, 2020, 08:27:42 AM »
I'm confused, didn't they give us that money to spend to actually keep the economy moving? I added mine to my down payment for a house, GF paid off her car. But people who spend it on toys etc are using it in the way it was supposed to from what I recall (unless those people need food or other necessities but spent it on toys)
« Last Edit: May 10, 2020, 08:52:01 AM by Galway Eagle »
Maigh Eo for Sam

• All American
« Reply #291 on: May 10, 2020, 08:40:30 AM »
I'm confused, didn't they give us that money to spend to actually keep the economy moving? I

Exactly.  They were checks to help stiimulate the economy. 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #292 on: May 10, 2020, 09:26:46 AM »
Rocky isn't talking about the stimulus.

He's talking about the extra 600 dollars a week everyone is receiving in unemployment. For a lot of people, that's more then they were making at their jobs.

I dont have a problem with that. I do have a problem with people who are continuing to work essential jobs not getting anything extra. Some people putting in 40 hours per week would be better off not working at all and collecting more money. That is bs.

It's also be that I'm now working 2 essential jobs, but theres no support system for me. Reward the ones pulling the country through.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #293 on: May 10, 2020, 10:04:32 AM »

He's talking about the extra 600 dollars a week everyone is receiving in unemployment. For a lot of people, that's more then they were making at their jobs.

I dont have a problem with that. I do have a problem with people who are continuing to work essential jobs not getting anything extra. Some people putting in 40 hours per week would be better off not working at all and collecting more money. That is bs.

It's also be that I'm now working 2 essential jobs, but theres no support system for me. Reward the ones pulling the country through.

100%.  We are starting to bring in some of our employees who are catching full checks from us because of the PPP.  Some are fully on board, and some say they can't make it in for three hours on a Tuesday... even though we give them notice on Friday.  Now, I'm sympathetic that people can't just find a baby sitter or drop their kids at grandma and grandpa's house, but there are solutions. 

Additionally, we have a former employee who didn't want to take the full time check and instead wanted to file for unemployment, because she, "made more money that way".  What she may not realize is that when she goes to file for her next unemployment check she will be denied because she abandoned her job.  So, the money she has collected since the day she left will have to be paid back.  We explained all of this to her, but she does not care.  Literally turned down FREE MONEY FOR DOING NOTHING... plus her job security so she could try to scam the system to make MORE.  I've complained about this before, and my stupid ex-employee should never have been put in that position.  Flat number checks were stupid.  They're great for people earning low wages, but I know plenty of people who make close to the upper limit to qualify who said that the money they were getting isn't nearly enough to maintain their financial obligations.

It was a dumb system, but they had to pass something.  Hopefully, the next round makes a lot more sense... because they've had a lot of time to work on it... but I'm not holding my breath.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #294 on: May 10, 2020, 10:51:36 AM »
The program isn't perfect, but paying people who don't "deserve" it is better than not supporting people who do. 

And we give people "free" money all of the time through various tax breaks and credits.  We let people carry forward capital losses for years, if not decades, completely wiping out their tax liability before electing them president. 

I think society can handle some young people partying it up a little with their unemployment money.

So it is or isn't ok for young people to party (bigger parties than ever before) despite being in quarantine?  Just want to be clear on your stance.

• All American
« Reply #295 on: May 10, 2020, 11:10:26 AM »
So it is or isn't ok for young people to party (bigger parties than ever before) despite being in quarantine?  Just want to be clear on your stance.

They shouldn’t party because they are in quarantine. The fact that they are “wasting” their three months of enhanced unemployment benefits on a party doesn’t bother me.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #297 on: May 10, 2020, 05:50:22 PM »
https://www.propublica.org/article/the-bailout-is-working-for-the-rich/amp

So you truly think it would be better to give everyone $5K and let the companies employing those people fail? While their 401Ks to fall 50% or more?

It’s an imperfect system, and those with capital investment are benefitted by Fed intervention more than low level employees, but I’m genuinely curious what you think should have been done. Because all you’ve been feverishly posting every link is about how the rich are robbing the country blind in incredibly slanted articles and or being “terrified” by founders benefitting from increases in their company’s stock price. Ignoring plenty of middle class Americans with various investments also benefitting.

Again, argue the Fed is doing too much in propping up the market, but it would never be printing money to hand out to individuals as the article states but people can’t seem to comprehend. They can’t.  You’re basically asking for massive social welfare direct handouts which is completely out of bounds in American history, or letting everything burn to the ground and rebuild from scratch. Which isn’t going to help the lower level at the expense of the wealthy either. 

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #298 on: May 10, 2020, 06:04:41 PM »

Agreed. I feel especially bad for low-paid employees like grocery and convenience store workers who are risking their health every day and not being rewarded for helping to get us through this crisis.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #299 on: May 10, 2020, 06:33:10 PM »
Amen.   Give it to the $12 an hour stockboys or delivery truck driver.   Give it to the nurses and the hospital janitors.  Give it to the nursing home personnel.   Give it to the $17.50 an hour paramedics.   

feedback