[April 26, 2024, 10:00:30 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by avid1010
[April 26, 2024, 07:48:11 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Senate and WH Agree on Terms of Stimulus Package  (Read 59358 times)

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
But I like to throw handfuls...

JWags85

• All American
Re: Senate and WH Agree on Terms of Stimulus Package
« Reply #251 on: April 23, 2020, 08:35:43 AM »
https://www.forbes.com/sites/shaharziv/2020/04/14/why-are-rich-americans-getting-17-million-stimulus-checks/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

👍

What garbage clickbait headlines.  Tax write offs and pass through loss exemptions are not stimulus checks.  Pretending that rebates and future tax benefits are the same as lump sum payouts or checks is one of the lamest tactics to rile up a group of people.  Its the same crap they did to try and run Amazon out of NYC.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #252 on: April 23, 2020, 09:44:32 AM »

What garbage clickbait headlines.  Tax write offs and pass through loss exemptions are not stimulus checks.  Pretending that rebates and future tax benefits are the same as lump sum payouts or checks is one of the lamest tactics to rile up a group of people.  Its the same crap they did to try and run Amazon out of NYC.

Agree on the headline. Subject of the article is more where my problem lies.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #253 on: April 24, 2020, 09:30:56 AM »
Lots of hypocrites out there ...

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/opinion/article242231476.html?

Former S.C. governor and U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations Nikki Haley says that states shouldn’t be asked to be “bailed out” from the COVID-19 crisis by the federal government. Instead, they should “tighten up, make some cuts and manage,” Haley said in a tweet Thursday morning.

The tweet reflects the latest GOP talking point in a growing debate over state shortfalls during the coronavirus crisis. On Wednesday, Senate majority leader Mitch McConnell rejected calls from Democrats to give those struggling states, many of them blue, tens of billions of dollars in emergency pandemic relief legislation. Said McConnell: “There’s not going to be any desire on the Republican side to bail out state pensions by borrowing money from future generations.”

That’s rich, coming from the senator of a state, Kentucky, that takes out $148 billion more out of the federal pot than it takes in, as New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo noted Thursday.

That’s especially rich for Haley, who as North Carolina’s neighboring governor had no hesitation about federal aid when her state’s rainy day came in the form of flooding after storms in 2015. Not to mention that like Kentucky, South Carolina under Haley collected more federal money than most states.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #254 on: April 24, 2020, 10:02:02 AM »
That’s rich, coming from the senator of a state, Kentucky, that takes out $148 billion more out of the federal pot than it takes in, as New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo noted Thursday.

Which is a misleading statistic.  It always has been.  Of course Kentucky is going to get more federal money then it pays in.  It has a relatively small population and federal installations like Fort Campbell, which doesn't just benefit Kentucky but the entire country.

Don't get me wrong.  McConnell's comments aren't helpful.  But these types of stats are always taken completely out of proper context.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #255 on: April 24, 2020, 06:50:26 PM »

Which is a misleading statistic.  It always has been.  Of course Kentucky is going to get more federal money then it pays in.  It has a relatively small population and federal installations like Fort Campbell, which doesn't just benefit Kentucky but the entire country.

Don't get me wrong.  McConnell's comments aren't helpful.  But these types of stats are always taken completely out of proper context.

Size of the state had nothing to do with it. Connecticut, Delaware, Rhide Island, etc.all smaller than Kentucky yet bring more tax And they get less money per person.

Plus all those states are net winners to fed coffers
« Last Edit: April 24, 2020, 06:57:45 PM by MarquetteDano »

• All American
« Reply #256 on: April 24, 2020, 07:02:00 PM »
Size of the state had nothing to do with it. Connecticut, Delaware, Rhide Island, etc.all smaller than Kentucky yet bring more tax And they get less money per person.

Plus all those states are net winners to fed coffers

You only addressed one side of the equation.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Mutaman

• All American
  • "Technically this is true."
« Reply #257 on: April 24, 2020, 07:06:04 PM »

federal installations like Fort Campbell, which doesn't just benefit Kentucky but the entire country.

Isn't this true of every state, including those who pay a lot more to the feds than they take in? Particularly New York? Let's move the UN to Lexington. I'm sure some of those foreign delegates would appreciate good thoroughbreds.

« Last Edit: April 24, 2020, 07:13:08 PM by Mutaman »

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #258 on: April 24, 2020, 07:22:50 PM »
You only addressed one side of the equation.

Anyway you slice it Kentucky costs the Fed money. And smaller states than Kentcuky do not. If you travel like I do it to states like Kentucky it isn't surprising.

• All American
« Reply #259 on: April 24, 2020, 07:29:41 PM »
Anyway you slice it Kentucky costs the Fed money. And smaller states than Kentcuky do not. If you travel like I do it to states like Kentucky it isn't surprising.

When those states have large miltary installations, like Fort Campbell, of course they do.

But it's not a relevant statistic.  It is used to influence the simple minded because it lacks nuance. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #260 on: April 24, 2020, 07:30:56 PM »
If, as expected, Haley is one of the faves for the 2024 GOP presidential nomination, it will be interesting to hear her explain why it was OK for her to beg for money in 2015 but bad for governors to ask for money now.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #261 on: April 24, 2020, 07:38:55 PM »

When those states have large miltary installations, like Fort Campbell, of course they do.

But it's not a relevant statistic.  It is used to influence the simple minded because it lacks nuance.

Yeah states with military all lose money. Like California, Texas, North Carolia, New Jersey.

• All American
« Reply #262 on: April 24, 2020, 07:43:35 PM »
Yeah states with military all lose money. Like California, Texas, North Carolia, New Jersey.

<sigh>  Which are states with a lot of tax payers. 

reinko

• All American
« Reply #263 on: April 24, 2020, 07:55:04 PM »

I get your point, but Fort Campbell ain’t costing the state of KY 148 bil a year.  Not too mention it shares a border with TN.  But I think you can agree, KY outside of things military bases takes in waaaaaay more $$$ than it puts into federal coffers.

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #264 on: April 24, 2020, 08:00:47 PM »

No. Has to do with just not enough wealth in the state per person to cover their bills. Do we need to break down servicemen per state in small states to prove small states can still make money even with military. All on the GAO website.

• All American
« Reply #265 on: April 24, 2020, 08:05:23 PM »
No. Has to do with just not enough wealth in the state per person to cover their bills. Do we need to break down servicemen per state in small states to prove small states can still make money even with military. All on the GAO website.

Go ahead. Keep trying to prove something that’s not a relevant stat. Waste your entire weekend for all I care.

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #266 on: April 24, 2020, 08:14:01 PM »
Go ahead. Keep trying to prove something that’s not a relevant stat. Waste your entire weekend for all I care.

Weak. Looks like someone can't handle being wrong which you absolutely are in this case.

• All American
« Reply #267 on: April 24, 2020, 08:18:34 PM »
Weak. Looks like someone can't handle being wrong which you absolutely are in this case.

1. I am absolutely not wrong.  You simply stating it doesn't make it right.

2.  The stat is not relevant anyway.  So if you want to prove me wrong, which you can't by the way, go ahead.  It's a futile effort and I don't care anyway.

3. But you travelled to Kentucky before.  ::)  Hope you enjoyed your bourbon tour.  Apparently it makes you an expert.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #268 on: April 24, 2020, 08:27:48 PM »
Only the poors get the stimulus. Where is the outrage?
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #269 on: April 24, 2020, 08:39:11 PM »

1. I am absolutely not wrong
2.  The stat is not relevant anyway.  So if you want to prove me wrong, which you can't by the way, go ahead.  It's a futile effort and I don't care anyway.

Well hard to argue that. You are not wrong, no matter what the numbers prove.

Agree with you on a lot of things. Just not this topic.

Edit: my comments towards the state of Kentucky could have been seen as disparaging.
My apologies
« Last Edit: April 25, 2020, 12:10:24 AM by MarquetteDano »

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #270 on: April 25, 2020, 08:24:56 AM »

Maybe we have enough, JB.

jesmu84

• All American

tower912

• All American
« Reply #272 on: April 25, 2020, 03:21:10 PM »
I have enough.   Others don't.  Celebrate that in some microscopic way that Jesus' call to be our brothers' keeper and to give to the poor is being answered at the government level.

http://www.usccb.org/about/domestic-social-development/resources/upload/poverty-common-good-CST.pdf

I'll pray for you.   

And the haves are doing just fine.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2020, 03:35:04 PM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #273 on: April 25, 2020, 03:45:15 PM »
I have enough.   Others don't.  Celebrate that in some microscopic way that Jesus' call to be our brothers' keeper and to give to the poor is being answered at the government level.

http://www.usccb.org/about/domestic-social-development/resources/upload/poverty-common-good-CST.pdf

I'll pray for you.   

And the haves are doing just fine.

I know people who are working and got stimulus checks. There are many. It’s bonus pay for them; they love it.

I realize there’s no easy way to determine who gets it and who doesn’t, but I will point out it’s unfair, discretionary and lacking logic. I kindly ask you to send me money to help me feel better. Thanks!
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #274 on: April 25, 2020, 03:46:26 PM »
You shouldn't be defined by money.   And I already subsidize those with more than me.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2020, 04:12:13 PM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.