[April 18, 2024, 09:34:43 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by TSmith34, Inc.
[April 18, 2024, 09:22:20 PM]

MU Gear by TallTitan34
[April 18, 2024, 07:27:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Uncle Rico
[April 18, 2024, 05:33:25 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Illinois  (Read 95412 times)

forgetful

• All American
Re: Illinois
« Reply #600 on: November 23, 2020, 12:13:52 PM »
Hmm, 2 things:
1) I've not heard any talk of infection though the eye sockets - especially if everyone else is masked
2) I've been on lots of flights, and not seen a single case of goggles.

Now - for example, I can understand why a dentist would wear goggles while practicing his profession - too much crap being flung around.  But I've seen no studies that recommend goggles for "normal life" to protect yourself from Covid.  Have I missed the memo here?

Your eyes are mucus membranes and viable routes of transmission. A lower route of transmission, because we aren't actively sucking in particles through our eyes (like we do nose and throat), but in certain environments it is an active pathway, hence medical and dental personnel wearing full face shields in addition to masks.

In the case of an airplane, the confined aspects could lead to a more likely possibility of infection through the eyes. Still much lower, but not zero. So if someone wants to be safest, a pair of protective eye where can cut additional small risks...and they are more comfortable than masks.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #601 on: November 23, 2020, 12:25:37 PM »
In the case of an airplane, the confined aspects could lead to a more likely possibility of infection through the eyes.

I know some of it is marketing that airplanes are safer that most other indoor spaces, but still, there are some studies that show that the airflow in airplanes is better than most indoor spaces  Like this TB study (TB is highly airborne).  Gives me some reassurance that - when masked - airplanes are relatively low risk (don't get me started on the DEN inter-terminal train though...).

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK143720/

All said - if someone wants to wear goggles as a precaution - of course there could be some benefit.  I just probably won't be adding it to my routine :)
« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 12:28:24 PM by rocky_warrior »

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #602 on: November 23, 2020, 01:00:33 PM »
35 Chicago Fire Department cases have been traced back to a retirement party at that bar I mentioned in Jefferson Park.

I'd say not going was one of my better decisions.

The one with boarded up front windows and people going in/out the back?

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #603 on: November 23, 2020, 01:04:19 PM »
The one with boarded up front windows and people going in/out the back?

Yep that's the one. It was my uncle's retirement, and more than a few of the firefighters in attendance have lingering lung issues from helping clean up 9/11 including him. I'd say I can't imagine the top brass are happy oh except they were there celebrating too.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #604 on: November 23, 2020, 01:17:24 PM »
I know some of it is marketing that airplanes are safer that most other indoor spaces, but still, there are some studies that show that the airflow in airplanes is better than most indoor spaces  Like this TB study (TB is highly airborne).  Gives me some reassurance that - when masked - airplanes are relatively low risk (don't get me started on the DEN inter-terminal train though...).

All said - if someone wants to wear goggles as a precaution - of course there could be some benefit.  I just probably won't be adding it to my routine :)

This study is small enough to be inconclusive (imo), but people that wear eyeglasses are less likely to get covid. - https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/16/well/live/does-wearing-glasses-protect-you-from-coronavirus.html

So protective eyewear could be something as simple as fake glasses. Nose and mustache optional.

Or stay home. The people currently in airport terminals, lounges, and on planes are exactly the plague-deniers you don't want to be around right now.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #605 on: November 23, 2020, 01:22:31 PM »
The people currently in airport terminals, lounges, and on planes are exactly the plague-deniers you don't want to be around right now.

I know a number of people who have flown who aren't plague deniers.  Painting with a broad brush rarely works well.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #606 on: November 23, 2020, 02:03:23 PM »

I know a number of people who have flown who aren't plague deniers.  Painting with a broad brush rarely works well.

You must be new here.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #607 on: November 23, 2020, 02:08:15 PM »
You must be new here.

Literally new to the entire internet.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #608 on: November 23, 2020, 02:53:26 PM »

Yeah - a bit too broad.  But, as much as I've traveled up through October/early Nov, I'm not planning any flights through Feb at this point.  Too much community spread for my liking.

This study is small enough to be inconclusive (imo), but people that wear eyeglasses are less likely to get covid. -

I do wear glasses when mom lets me leave the basement, so that's interesting news.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #609 on: November 23, 2020, 03:21:22 PM »

I do wear glasses when mom lets me leave the basement, so that's interesting news.

Wait - she lets you leave the basement?!?

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #610 on: November 23, 2020, 03:21:31 PM »
Yep that's the one. It was my uncle's retirement, and more than a few of the firefighters in attendance have lingering lung issues from helping clean up 9/11 including him. I'd say I can't imagine the top brass are happy oh except they were there celebrating too.

I should say they all should lose their jobs/retirement.
But, unions and such.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #611 on: November 23, 2020, 03:22:14 PM »
Yeah - a bit too broad.  But, as much as I've traveled up through October/early Nov, I'm not planning any flights through Feb at this point.  Too much community spread for my liking.

Look at Mr. Bigshot over here with an entire basement.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #612 on: November 23, 2020, 04:11:04 PM »

Exceedingly well played…

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #613 on: November 23, 2020, 04:33:26 PM »

a basement that WE paid for!
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #614 on: November 23, 2020, 08:38:02 PM »

I've seen similar studies. They seem reasonable. I honestly have no idea one way or the other.

In general, I am not going to wear goggles, even though I have some pairs of cool safety glasses. Also, though would fault someone for deciding they want the extra protection.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #615 on: November 25, 2020, 12:03:56 PM »
Workers striking at 11 nursing homes. I hope this isn't as contagious across all healthcare disciplines as I fear it is.

Unbelievable they have to go so far just to get $15/hr.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/coronavirus/ct-illinois-nursing-home-strike-20201123-yhloq3vzp5guvenvscjq7y4vlm-story.html

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #616 on: November 25, 2020, 08:42:12 PM »
St. Louis ICU beds are full. Patients are being driven/helicoptered elsewhere.

https://fox2now.com/news/local-hospitals-now-searching-for-icu-beds-between-st-louis-and-chicago/

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #617 on: December 24, 2020, 08:51:53 AM »
https://wgntv.com/news/coronavirus/over-100k-covid-19-vaccine-doses-given-so-far-in-illinois-as-state-reports-6762-cases-135-deaths/

100,000 people received their first dose of the vaccine in Illinois so far (distributed to frontline healthcare workers and residents of long-term care facilities). Looks like we're first in the nation in getting the vaccine to the people.

Averaging just 6,781 cases per day (7-day average), which is half of what we were seeing around Thanksgiving.

Illinois has successfully flattened the curve again. Hopefully we can make it through the holiday season without another spike! Looks like we'll be staying with the current restrictions (Tier 3) until hospitalizations go down. The St Louis area has continued to put a strain on our downstate hospital systems.

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #618 on: December 24, 2020, 10:49:17 AM »
Dr. Murphy said this week that we shouldn’t be patting ourselves on the back until we are down to 600 instead of 6,000, but clearly the additional restrictions have put a major dent in the numbers. We never had the Thanksgiving surge, thankfully. I doubt JB will loosen any restrictions until after the holidays.
Unfortunately we do have to acknowledge the awful cost to the hospitality industry. They very much need additional support. But I will not in future patronize places that deliberately and proudly violated the guidelines.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #619 on: December 24, 2020, 02:22:58 PM »
But I will not in future patronize places that deliberately and proudly violated the guidelines.

This.

We're going back to hybrid learning on 1/20 and my daughter is very excited.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #620 on: April 21, 2021, 04:47:57 PM »
DePaul is joining Columbia College in the "Chicago universities requiring a vaccination to for the fall semester"

https://resources.depaul.edu/newsline/sections/campus-and-community/Pages/COVID-19-vaccine-April-21.aspx

> In the spirit of caring for each other and for our surrounding community, DePaul has decided to require students to be vaccinated for COVID-19 when the 2021-22 academic year begins. This requirement covers all undergraduate, graduate and professional students in all degree programs who intend to be on campus for any period of time starting in the fall 2021 term.

Hopefully, other universities follow suit. Should be plenty of time for the kids to get shots over the summer.

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #621 on: April 22, 2021, 10:05:22 AM »
Tons of availability right now, the college kids don’t have to wait until summer.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #622 on: April 22, 2021, 10:15:17 AM »
Tons of availability right now, the college kids don’t have to wait until summer.

Still tricky to get a shot in the city. It's easier downstate where there are more anti-vaxxers, but not all city people have personal transportation.

Co-workers are mostly getting shots, but a few are still hunting every day for their first dose. Mainly those trying to work around their kid's schedule.

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #623 on: April 22, 2021, 10:57:04 AM »
Tons of availability for city residents right now on zocdoc. United Center has appointments today, Wrigley was on there earlier, all sorts of places. Different wards and churches are having events, Rush and UIC have open slots too.
If they are still having trouble have them join the Vaccine Hunters group because every day people are posting walk in information all over the place.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #624 on: April 22, 2021, 11:00:52 AM »
Tons of availability for city residents right now on zocdoc. United Center has appointments today, Wrigley was on there earlier, all sorts of places. Different wards and churches are having events, Rush and UIC have open slots too.
If they are still having trouble have them join the Vaccine Hunters group because every day people are posting walk in information all over the place.

Good to hear. The FB group?

feedback