[Today at 07:53:14 AM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by PJDunn
[Today at 07:36:37 AM]

D-I Logo Quiz by IL Warrior
[April 24, 2024, 09:57:20 PM]

Best case scenarios by We R Final Four
[April 24, 2024, 08:12:40 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Mental Health  (Read 12591 times)

Bad_Reporter

• All American
Re: Mental Health
« Reply #75 on: March 18, 2020, 07:14:42 PM »
Keefe is reporter's father in law?   ;D ;D ;D

Lmao!!!  This made me laugh

I’m such a beta

Keithtisbarf

• Walk-On
« Reply #76 on: March 19, 2020, 12:05:15 AM »
No one should eat cow brains and fly fish in their suitcase to visit their daughter 2000 miles away from CA to WI.  That’s so disgusting and how diseases like covid start. I’m completely horrified by the lack of sanitization and care for not eating rancid food.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2020, 12:09:29 AM by Keithtisbarf »

Keithtisbarf

• Walk-On
« Reply #77 on: March 19, 2020, 12:14:20 AM »
This isn't a real person, no way. If he is, what an alpha.

It sounds like cousin Eddy from Vacation.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #78 on: March 19, 2020, 07:44:44 AM »
Lmao!!!  This made me laugh

I’m such a beta

You could really score some points if you could find a golden coral with sweet breads(thyroid gland), cow and/ pangolin innnards, tripe, liver and onions, chitlins, and maybe even some bat heads and rhinoceros ...all you care to eat of course...nummmy num num.  better get some ozium and wooden matches  something tells me pangolin farts are worse than 2nd  hand smoke
don't...don't don't don't don't

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #79 on: March 19, 2020, 08:42:02 AM »
You could really score some points if you could find a golden coral with sweet breads(thyroid gland), cow and/ pangolin innnards, tripe, liver and onions, chitlins, and maybe even some bat heads and rhinoceros ...all you care to eat of course...nummmy num num.  better get some ozium and wooden matches  something tells me pangolin farts are worse than 2nd  hand smoke

Save the neck for me, Clark.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #81 on: April 27, 2020, 06:10:50 PM »
Very sad.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/27/nyregion/new-york-city-doctor-suicide-coronavirus.html#click=https://t.co/9eOiEMdkrV

Of course it is, as is every instance of someone who takes their own life.

I do find it a little hard to believe that she had no history of mental illness.  Maybe no documented history, but it is unbelievably odd that an ER doctor who dealt with horrible tragedy every single day - child abuse, rape, grisly murders, horrific auto accidents - would decide to end things over the Covid virus.
Have some patience, FFS.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #82 on: April 27, 2020, 06:19:48 PM »
Of course it is, as is every instance of someone who takes their own life.

I do find it a little hard to believe that she had no history of mental illness.  Maybe no documented history, but it is unbelievably odd that an ER doctor who dealt with horrible tragedy every single day - child abuse, rape, grisly murders, horrific auto accidents - would decide to end things over the Covid virus.

Why? They have almost 6,000 deaths in the last couple months from it. They have freezer trucks to store dead bodies and hospital beds with body bags lining the hallways in some hospitals there. They’re doing mass burials for the unclaimed bodies. This is not something most doctors out there have had to deal with.

I would be beyond shocked if there weren’t people on the front lines that have worked in the field for many years who are dealing with emotional issues they’ve never faced before because of this.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2020, 06:22:48 PM by wadesworld »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #83 on: April 27, 2020, 06:41:27 PM »
Why? They have almost 6,000 deaths in the last couple months from it. They have freezer trucks to store dead bodies and hospital beds with body bags lining the hallways in some hospitals there. They’re doing mass burials for the unclaimed bodies. This is not something most doctors out there have had to deal with.

I would be beyond shocked if there weren’t people on the front lines that have worked in the field for many years who are dealing with emotional issues they’ve never faced before because of this.

I could understand that if a doctor had already suffered from clinical depression that it might be the straw that broke the camel's back.   But if you are otherwise mentally healthy, and your job involves dealing with women who lose a full-term pregnancy, children who been mortally wounded in gang crossfire, accidents where screaming victims have lost limbs, and telling people every single day that their loved one didn't make it, I can't imagine that dealing with the victims of a virus is sending you over the edge.   Just my opinion given my personal experience with people who suffer from depression.
Have some patience, FFS.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #84 on: April 27, 2020, 07:28:56 PM »

Gonna be a lot of PTSD among health care workers.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #85 on: April 27, 2020, 07:35:07 PM »
Gonna be PTSD among grocery stockers.   It is a MASH unit mentality right now.   What is going to suck is when the next wave comes after a little down time.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #86 on: April 27, 2020, 07:37:51 PM »
I could understand that if a doctor had already suffered from clinical depression that it might be the straw that broke the camel's back.   But if you are otherwise mentally healthy, and your job involves dealing with women who lose a full-term pregnancy, children who been mortally wounded in gang crossfire, accidents where screaming victims have lost limbs, and telling people every single day that their loved one didn't make it, I can't imagine that dealing with the victims of a virus is sending you over the edge.   Just my opinion given my personal experience with people who suffer from depression.

Wow.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #87 on: April 27, 2020, 08:08:15 PM »

The difference is in the volume. They see a lot of terrible stuff, but there is time to deal with the episodes and grieve reflect.

Right now they are quite honestly, having to watch a patient die, move the body to free up a bed, watch a patient die, move the body to free up a bed. People screaming in pain everywhere, dying all around you, with no time to sleep, eat, or even reflect on what happened...with no possible sign of this ending anytime soon.

That amount of mental turmoil without any time to reflect, or deal with it will break almost anyone.

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #88 on: April 27, 2020, 08:15:31 PM »
Gonna be a lot of PTSD among health care workers.

Already a spike in suicide among non health care workers.  People waiting for their states to handle unemployment benefits is not helping this statistic either as people talk of suicide.

https://newyork.cbslocal.com/2020/04/27/delays-for-unemployment-no-food-people-talking-about-suicide/

At some point likely sooner than later, you have to open things up and people get back to work.  If you don’t, you will have death as a result of the actions taken to stop the disease while driving other problems.
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #89 on: April 28, 2020, 07:25:18 AM »

And this is one of the long time challenges of mental health.....People who casually decide for you what affects you in what way and what doesn't, and how much. Who are you to decide?

Depression is a very vast, broad category, as are other types of mental health.

We have had a discussion going in the TV thread. Not all people with Bipolar are similar to characters from Ozark or Homeland or remotely close to that. the ranges are vast. (They are good tv shows for entertainment however.)

"your experience with depression" .....I'm curious to what that is....because you can't exactly paint depression with a broad brush. That would be one of the first things people learn about depression and other types of mental illness.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #90 on: April 28, 2020, 09:24:03 AM »

It is not that what doctors and nurses are dealing with is necessarily different from the traumas and tragedies they have dealt with before. It is the MAGNITUDE of the deaths in cities like New York. Mass graves. hundreds dying in your hospital a day. I don't find it difficult to believe at all.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #91 on: April 28, 2020, 09:26:16 AM »
And this is one of the long time challenges of mental health.....People who casually decide for you what affects you in what way and what doesn't, and how much. Who are you to decide?

Depression is a very vast, broad category, as are other types of mental health.

We have had a discussion going in the TV thread. Not all people with Bipolar are similar to characters from Ozark or Homeland or remotely close to that. the ranges are vast. (They are good tv shows for entertainment however.)

"your experience with depression" .....I'm curious to what that is....because you can't exactly paint depression with a broad brush. That would be one of the first things people learn about depression and other types of mental illness.

Great, great, great point. I have had to deal with this my entire life with anxiety. When I try to explain my anxiety to someone who does not suffer, they don't understand why I am anxious about things that they wouldn't be anxious about. As if I should just see things the way they do and my anxiety will be cured.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #92 on: April 28, 2020, 11:09:41 AM »

Not your best take, chickadee.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #93 on: April 28, 2020, 11:48:50 AM »
Already a spike in suicide among non health care workers.  People waiting for their states to handle unemployment benefits is not helping this statistic either as people talk of suicide.

https://newyork.cbslocal.com/2020/04/27/delays-for-unemployment-no-food-people-talking-about-suicide/

At some point likely sooner than later, you have to open things up and people get back to work.  If you don’t, you will have death as a result of the actions taken to stop the disease while driving other problems.

Or how about a competent government who doesn’t make their citizens wait for benefits during a pandemic.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #94 on: April 29, 2020, 07:05:24 PM »
This article gives some reflections of what it is like for these medical professionals.  The quotes below show something new in this crisis that I personally would struggle with (if I were a medical prof).

“It’s just difficult seeing these patients. A lot of them are alone, and they don’t have their families. Sometimes it’s a lot of burden on one nurse.”

And

The patients have panic in their eyes. Along with the anxiety that comes with not being able to have adequate oxygen and breathe, comes that panic of them saying, “Am I going to die? Am I ever going to see my family again?” It’s very emotional for them and for us.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/29/nyregion/coronavirus-nyc-hospitals.html

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #95 on: April 29, 2020, 10:17:40 PM »
Or how about a competent government who doesn’t make their citizens wait for benefits during a pandemic.

Which one?  In this particular case we are talking about 50 of them.  The federal gov't provided the funds to the states, the states then are having problems pushing them to their citizens.  Some states with very few problems, others are having enormous challenges.  Old infrastructure, computer technology that hasn't been updated.   Competency comes in all forms.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/27/those-600-unemployment-checks-delayed-in-some-states.html
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #96 on: April 30, 2020, 12:16:02 AM »

while i was in Az, got a call from a patient with a tooth ache on lower right and left sides.  i have remote access to my records, checked her xrays, health history and dental history.  sure enough, both teeth were dx'd with issues over a year ago, but regardless, they were of course bothering her now.  many people put things off when they don't hurt, are very busy and/or don't have the "disposable income" to attend to what became "essential emergencies".  i prescribed antibiotics and a pain reliever and gave her a referral to an endodontist(root canals) and an oral surgeon.  i called her back the next day and she reported an improvement/decreased discomfort. 

this lady, in her early 50's, a nurse at a small nursing home said that due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the other nurses would either call in sick or no show for their shift, necessitating her to work double shifts.  she also worked weekends as a hospice nurse.

toothache(s), not surprisingly, reoccur and come back with a vengeance.  no surprise as her body was taking a beating working all those extra hours, and the pain causing her immune system to weaken and become less effective to fight the growing infections.  she called the endodontist-they told her, for reasons i have yet to find out, they would not see her.  i'm going to assume it was money.  she has insurance and said she told me that she was willing to pay cash.  she called the oral surgeons-they, according to her and i have yet to find out their story, would not see her because she wasn't a patient of record.  weird because i send them a lot of patients and many of them are not patients of record and we simply fax them a referral slip and xrays on record. 

by this time, she was in agony and started calling multiple dentists in the milwaukee area.  she told me "every dentist in milwaukee and waukesha"-NO ONE see her despite her telling me she would have given her left testicle to have something done.  my words to describe the amount of pain she was in for over 2 weeks.  i did not find this out until 2 days before returning home.  i assumed, as most do, the antibiotic settled things down

the day after i return from Az.(my flight arrived at 10 pm night before) i see her in my office.   the tooth on the lower left had a crown on it and it was broken off at the gumline and flapping around like it was on a hinge.  she said that one isn't near as bad as the other side and was merely annoying.  the tooth on the lower right had a broken filling with a piece of the filling jammed down into the gum between that tooth and the one in front of it plus a deep cavity into the pulp chamber in full "hot tooth" mode.

the point of that whole rambling story?  what the hell does it take for someone to be seen today.  does one need to limp into an office with a compound fracture?  a gun shot?  these teeth were probably more painful than a gunshot, but i really wouldn't know as i've never had a gun shot.  i did have an infected wisdom tooth many years ago and the memory of that pain is something i wouldn't wish upon anyone

just wondering what this virus is doing to us as a society.  well, not wondering, but very very concerned how we are triaging stuff.  have we lost our humanity?  the "unintended" consequences of this covid thing are very scary in more ways than one
don't...don't don't don't don't

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #97 on: April 30, 2020, 07:22:14 AM »
  while i was in Az, got a call from a patient with a tooth ache on lower right and left sides.  i have remote access to my records, checked her xrays, health history and dental history.  sure enough, both teeth were dx'd with issues over a year ago, but regardless, they were of course bothering her now.  many people put things off when they don't hurt, are very busy and/or don't have the "disposable income" to attend to what became "essential emergencies".  i prescribed antibiotics and a pain reliever and gave her a referral to an endodontist(root canals) and an oral surgeon.  i called her back the next day and she reported an improvement/decreased discomfort. 

this lady, in her early 50's, a nurse at a small nursing home said that due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the other nurses would either call in sick or no show for their shift, necessitating her to work double shifts.  she also worked weekends as a hospice nurse.

toothache(s), not surprisingly, reoccur and come back with a vengeance.  no surprise as her body was taking a beating working all those extra hours, and the pain causing her immune system to weaken and become less effective to fight the growing infections.  she called the endodontist-they told her, for reasons i have yet to find out, they would not see her.  i'm going to assume it was money.  she has insurance and said she told me that she was willing to pay cash.  she called the oral surgeons-they, according to her and i have yet to find out their story, would not see her because she wasn't a patient of record.  weird because i send them a lot of patients and many of them are not patients of record and we simply fax them a referral slip and xrays on record. 

by this time, she was in agony and started calling multiple dentists in the milwaukee area.  she told me "every dentist in milwaukee and waukesha"-NO ONE see her despite her telling me she would have given her left testicle to have something done.  my words to describe the amount of pain she was in for over 2 weeks.  i did not find this out until 2 days before returning home.  i assumed, as most do, the antibiotic settled things down

the day after i return from Az.(my flight arrived at 10 pm night before) i see her in my office.   the tooth on the lower left had a crown on it and it was broken off at the gumline and flapping around like it was on a hinge.  she said that one isn't near as bad as the other side and was merely annoying.  the tooth on the lower right had a broken filling with a piece of the filling jammed down into the gum between that tooth and the one in front of it plus a deep cavity into the pulp chamber in full "hot tooth" mode.

the point of that whole rambling story?  what the hell does it take for someone to be seen today.  does one need to limp into an office with a compound fracture?  a gun shot?  these teeth were probably more painful than a gunshot, but i really wouldn't know as i've never had a gun shot.  i did have an infected wisdom tooth many years ago and the memory of that pain is something i wouldn't wish upon anyone

just wondering what this virus is doing to us as a society.  well, not wondering, but very very concerned how we are triaging stuff.  have we lost our humanity?  the "unintended" consequences of this covid thing are very scary in more ways than one

JESUS, rocket what a horrible experience for that nurse.  I can't imagine the pain she must have been in, and what she must have been doing to deal with it.  I guess we all process pain differently, but what you described sounds like pure agony. 

Anecdotally, my MIL got a splinter in her finger a week and a half ago and it took her a full week, puss, and a massive infection for her to go to the urgent care.  She waited for a couple of reasons.  She is one of those people who HATES the doctor.  She is one of those people who doesn't want to bother anyone with her problems.  And now, of course, there is covid to worry about.  She didn't want to go to the urgent care for this splinter because she didn't want to take up space for 'someone who needed it more'.  My MIL is a wonderful lady, and the kindest person you would ever meet, but she takes this sort of thing too far to her own detriment.

She said the office she went to was not busy at all and she was glad she went when we finally made her.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #98 on: April 30, 2020, 09:24:20 AM »
Keefe is reporter's father in law?   ;D ;D ;D

I will play FIL as long as there is single malt in the liquor locker

Death on call

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #99 on: April 30, 2020, 09:29:12 AM »
Which one?  In this particular case we are talking about 50 of them.  The federal gov't provided the funds to the states, the states then are having problems pushing them to their citizens.  Some states with very few problems, others are having enormous challenges.  Old infrastructure, computer technology that hasn't been updated.   Competency comes in all forms.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/27/those-600-unemployment-checks-delayed-in-some-states.html

Everything.  The federal government.  Many state governments.  A lot of it is broken.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

feedback