[April 19, 2024, 11:23:24 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Jockey
[April 19, 2024, 11:10:31 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Jockey
[April 19, 2024, 11:09:03 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Scoop Snoop
[April 19, 2024, 09:34:36 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Mental Health  (Read 12567 times)

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
Re: Mental Health
« Reply #100 on: April 30, 2020, 09:41:52 AM »
JESUS, rocket what a horrible experience for that nurse.  I can't imagine the pain she must have been in, and what she must have been doing to deal with it.  I guess we all process pain differently, but what you described sounds like pure agony. 

Anecdotally, my MIL got a splinter in her finger a week and a half ago and it took her a full week, puss, and a massive infection for her to go to the urgent care.  She waited for a couple of reasons.  She is one of those people who HATES the doctor.  She is one of those people who doesn't want to bother anyone with her problems.  And now, of course, there is covid to worry about.  She didn't want to go to the urgent care for this splinter because she didn't want to take up space for 'someone who needed it more'.  My MIL is a wonderful lady, and the kindest person you would ever meet, but she takes this sort of thing too far to her own detriment.

She said the office she went to was not busy at all and she was glad she went when we finally made her.

Thanks hards, the scenario I presented, I’m sure was experienced by many and this has to wear on the mental health of someone.  In my case, the lady was incredibly well adapted as she had to compartmentalize her discomfort in order to function and accomplished it better than average
(Including me)to say the least. However, I would guess that most would not have been able,to deal with it as she did and turn to drugs and or alcohol which can lead to all forms of violence and who knows what other uncharacteristic behaviors. 

There has to be a better way to triage these things as while we think we are taking care of the elephant in the room while the forest is being pushed aside. As we go forward, we better be on the alert for all the things we pushed aside.  Some may be more subtle than others
don't...don't don't don't don't

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #101 on: April 30, 2020, 09:47:50 AM »
rocket, what caused these places to not see her?  Were they worried because of her background as a nurse?  Didn't have adequate safety measures in place?
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #102 on: April 30, 2020, 08:46:29 PM »
rocket, what caused these places to not see her?  Were they worried because of her background as a nurse?  Didn't have adequate safety measures in place?

that is a good question fluff.  i intend on talking to the ones i know specifically.  i've known the oral surgeons personally and professionally for over 30 years.  they've worked on many of my patients.  my understanding so far is they told her that because she wasn't a patient of record...well, i send them multiple patients each month that are new to them.  all they had to do was simply ask me for a referral slip and i have the capability to fax it over as we have many times.  i had someone at my office every day for at least 3-4 hours answering the phone.  i was getting calls down in Az as my cell # is on our vm. 

as for the endodontist(s) upstanding people.  my dad was a classmate of their father.  as a matter of fact,  i promised to take them out to dinner as soon as the restaurants reopen.  usually it's the other way around, but they have sent their appreciation my way as well.  without giving away their identity, they are very well known and respected within the dental community throughout the state and probably midwest and beyond. 

since i have been back, my time as been taken up readying the office to reopen, catching up on admin. stuff, and seeing a few emergency patients.  but tomorrow or monday, i intend on calling them to see what happened here 
don't...don't don't don't don't

Keithtisbarf

• Walk-On
« Reply #103 on: May 04, 2020, 07:04:58 PM »
What happened to cheeks or whoever’s unborn kid? This was the genesis of the mental health topic. Someone was having a baby they thought might be born with significant challenges. 
« Last Edit: May 04, 2020, 10:19:53 PM by Keithtisbarf »

shoothoops

• All American