[April 25, 2024, 09:43:05 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Uncle Rico
[April 25, 2024, 05:51:25 PM]

Campus camp-out with cool flags? by FreewaysBurnerAccount
[April 25, 2024, 04:52:25 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[April 25, 2024, 02:51:03 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Mental Health  (Read 12614 times)

Keithtisbarf

• Walk-On
Re: Mental Health
« Reply #50 on: March 17, 2020, 12:14:25 AM »
In-laws just flew in yesterday. They were supposed to come two weeks from now for the birth of our daughter April 2, but came earlier.   

They’re now living with us for the next 1.5 months minimum.  1 night so far, and I’m losing it already..

Buckle up it’s only going to get more challenging with a crying baby in the house. 

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #51 on: March 17, 2020, 06:09:18 AM »
Guidance you can feel free to ignore, but make sure you establish with your in-laws that it is your baby and you and your spouse will be figuring out how it all works on your own. Seen lots of bad times where in-laws take over or get too pushy with their opinions.

Good luck and god speed
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #52 on: March 17, 2020, 06:15:11 AM »
In-laws just flew in yesterday. They were supposed to come two weeks from now for the birth of our daughter April 2, but came earlier.   

They’re now living with us for the next 1.5 months minimum.  1 night so far, and I’m losing it already..

And we thought a quarantine would be rough??  Prayers added for not only baby, but for cooler heads at the reporter household. Nothing a good soft roll of tp can’t solve, Ain’er? 
don't...don't don't don't don't

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #53 on: March 17, 2020, 07:59:55 AM »
Guidance you can feel free to ignore, but make sure you establish with your in-laws that it is your baby and you and your spouse will be figuring out how it all works on your own. Seen lots of bad times where in-laws take over or get too pushy with their opinions.

Good luck and god speed

And don't be shy about asking them to leave if things get too contentious. 

Glow and I had no nearby relatives and took care of both of our newborns on our own. It's doable, and in many cases, preferable.  I can't imagine anything worse than dealing with a screaming baby and post-partum hormones with other people constantly second-guessing everything you do.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2020, 12:41:57 PM by warriorchick »
Have some patience, FFS.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #54 on: March 17, 2020, 10:52:24 AM »
And don't be shy about asking them to leave if things get too contentious. 

Glow and I had no nearby relatives and took care of both of our newborns on our own. It's doable, and in many cases, preferable.  I can't imagine anything worse than dealing a screaming baby and post-partum hormones with other people constantly second-guessing everything you do.

And it can be very bad advice.

First time my parents came up to watch #NoRedforOwen after an hour I literally said "Are you kidding me, how did I survive to adulthood?"
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #55 on: March 17, 2020, 12:41:23 PM »
And it can be very bad advice.

First time my parents came up to watch #NoRedforOwen after an hour I literally said "Are you kidding me, how did I survive to adulthood?"

We Boomers had it even worse. 

I had a friend whose mother treated her kids' earaches by blowing cigarette smoke into the kids ear and plugging it up with a cotton ball.

Today, those kids would be put in foster care.
Have some patience, FFS.

Keithtisbarf

• Walk-On
« Reply #56 on: March 17, 2020, 01:10:08 PM »

I had a friend whose mother treated her kids' earaches by blowing cigarette smoke into the kids ear and plugging it up with a cotton ball.

That would be considered child abuse today, crazy what people used to do.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #57 on: March 17, 2020, 01:22:39 PM »
That would be considered child abuse today, crazy what people used to do.

Ergo my foster care comment.
Have some patience, FFS.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #58 on: March 17, 2020, 01:48:22 PM »

I suppose the fact that I regularly rode behind the back seat in a hatchback would be frowned upon these days (and also in the back of a pickup truck...but who didn't)
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #59 on: March 17, 2020, 06:22:27 PM »

LMFAO!!

Seriously. Best laugh ive had in a while. Thanks.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #60 on: March 17, 2020, 07:02:30 PM »

Old millennials saw a lot of this sort of action as well.  Brandy on the gums of a teething child also comes to mind.

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #61 on: March 17, 2020, 08:04:03 PM »
Old millennials saw a lot of this sort of action as well.  Brandy on the gums of a teething child also comes to mind.

I did that to my kids.  Blackberry Brandy.  My mother, may she rest peacefully, recommended it.  They all seem to have survived thus far.  But they ignored passing it forward with my grands.  Some high priced plastic Sophie the Giraffe thingy was their solution.
Ludum habemus.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #62 on: March 17, 2020, 11:22:52 PM »
I did that to my kids.  Blackberry Brandy.  My mother, may she rest peacefully, recommended it.  They all seem to have survived thus far.  But they ignored passing it forward with my grands.  Some high priced plastic Sophie the Giraffe thingy was their solution.

I was a brandy and/or whiskey baby. I’m well.

Remembered when someone figured out those Sophie’s were just filled with mold on the inside?

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #63 on: March 17, 2020, 11:48:38 PM »

Glow and I had no nearby relatives and took care of both of our newborns on our own. It's doable, and in many cases, preferable.  I can't imagine anything worse than dealing with a screaming baby and post-partum hormones with other people constantly second-guessing everything you do.

My parents lived in California and my wife’s in New Jersey. All 4 were wonderful people whom we loved a great deal (my MIL is actually still with us, will turn 98 in May) but we were very happy to raise our 4 kids in Chicago (for the most part) without their “help”.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #64 on: March 18, 2020, 12:00:46 AM »

Good luck and god speed

Best.  Advice.  Ever. 
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #65 on: March 18, 2020, 08:32:17 AM »
Reporter, I will be dealing with that soon. We will be living at our in-laws for about 6 weeks starting in mid-April. Granted, our kid will be 3 months old so we kinda already have our routine, but it won't be fun. It is a 3 bedroom, 2 bath ranch house, 1400 sq ft., no basement. 4 adults and 1 infant.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2020, 08:36:00 AM by Coleman »

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #66 on: March 18, 2020, 10:04:32 AM »
Reporter, I will be dealing with that soon. We will be living at our in-laws for about 6 weeks starting in mid-April. Granted, our kid will be 3 months old so we kinda already have our routine, but it won't be fun. It is a 3 bedroom, 2 bath ranch house, 1400 sq ft., no basement. 4 adults and 1 infant.

Coleman,
Back in 2003 when the wife and I put on a home addition, we had to move out for what was supposed to be about 2 weeks that turned into 6 weeks.
Myself, my wife, my 2 year old, my 1 month old plus the dog moved into my mom's basement.   It was a cozy 6 weeks and thankfully my kids were good sleepers.
Good luck to you.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #67 on: March 18, 2020, 10:15:41 AM »
Coleman,
Back in 2003 when the wife and I put on a home addition, we had to move out for what was supposed to be about 2 weeks that turned into 6 weeks.
Myself, my wife, my 2 year old, my 1 month old plus the dog moved into my mom's basement.   It was a cozy 6 weeks and thankfully my kids were good sleepers.
Good luck to you.

Oh yeah, forgot about our dog. She's pretty low maintenance though. Just sleeps all day.

Thank you.

Bad_Reporter

• All American
« Reply #68 on: March 18, 2020, 02:00:58 PM »

Good luck Coleman, I’m PM you.

Thanks again everyone else for the advice. 

I told my coworker a couple of things that already happened.  He suggested that I assert myself and put an end to some of the shenanigans.

Example.  I picked up my truck from the body shop because I accidentally scratched the hell out of it when I was transporting my lawn sweeper.   My father in law said he’d come pick it up with me.   He went joy riding for a while and when he came back to my house he said “so, you’re going to have to bring it back to the body shop, I hit some carS in the parking lot at woodmans” and laughed

Well, I let it go, didn’t really say anything and moved on. 

Later that night, he grabbed my wallet (thought it was his) and started stuffing money in it.  My wife said that it wasn’t his and he laughed.   He took out all of the money and asked me if I had any in it.   I mentioned there was some, but it’s fine.   He threw me three bucks and said here you go.

Oh, yeah, when my father in law used my truck I told him if there’s little gas in it, to just tell me and I’ll fill it up at Costco since gas is cheap.  He went to Costco and put 1/8 of a tank in it and brought it back to me.   At that point I would prefer he didn’t fill it at all and just bring it back empty..  (I know he put gas in it because he told me)

Lastly, my in laws love “different” types of food.   He’ll eat heart, cow brain, just weird sh**.   He and his wife brought all of this fish and other types of odd foods.  The fish package was warm by the time they got to Milwaukee from California, and put it in the freezer.  The packages weren’t sealed and it leaked juice all over...  I was gone yesterday and texted  him to eat the food he brought if he’d like, because I wasn’t going to be around

You’d think he’d eat the disgusting food they brought? No, instead it was my black angus steaks I had in the fridge.  (I can look past that, but my biggest issue was my kitchen was an absolute mess). They insist on keeping a gallon zip lock bag in my sink and put let over food inside of it with the bag open. My house smells like a dumpster and it’s really pissing me off.

Vent over, sorry again.   That all happened in one day so far.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #69 on: March 18, 2020, 02:18:44 PM »

Is this him?

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #70 on: March 18, 2020, 02:32:05 PM »

I told my coworker a couple of things that already happened.  He suggested that I assert myself and put an end to some of the shenanigans.

Example.  I picked up my truck from the body shop because I accidentally scratched the hell out of it when I was transporting my lawn sweeper.   My father in law said he’d come pick it up with me.   He went joy riding for a while and when he came back to my house he said “so, you’re going to have to bring it back to the body shop, I hit some carS in the parking lot at woodmans” and laughed

Later that night, he grabbed my wallet (thought it was his) and started stuffing money in it.  My wife said that it wasn’t his and he laughed.   He took out all of the money and asked me if I had any in it.   I mentioned there was some, but it’s fine.   He threw me three bucks and said here you go.

Oh, yeah, when my father in law used my truck I told him if there’s little gas in it, to just tell me and I’ll fill it up at Costco since gas is cheap.  He went to Costco and put 1/8 of a tank in it and brought it back to me.   At that point I would prefer he didn’t fill it at all and just bring it back empty..  (I know he put gas in it because he told me)

Lastly, my in laws love “different” types of food.   He’ll eat heart, cow brain, just weird sh**.   He and his wife brought all of this fish and other types of odd foods.  The fish package was warm by the time they got to Milwaukee from California, and put it in the freezer.  The packages weren’t sealed and it leaked juice all over...  I was gone yesterday and texted  him to eat the food he brought if he’d like, because I wasn’t going to be around

You’d think he’d eat the disgusting food they brought? No, instead it was my black angus steaks I had in the fridge.  (I can look past that, but my biggest issue was my kitchen was an absolute mess). They insist on keeping a gallon zip lock bag in my sink and put let over food inside of it with the bag open. My house smells like a dumpster and it’s really pissing me off.

I think this would qualify for justifiable homicide, TBF.

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #71 on: March 18, 2020, 02:44:29 PM »

Whoa.  And you married into this?  I hope your bride fell very far away from that tree. 
Ludum habemus.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #72 on: March 18, 2020, 02:46:09 PM »

This isn't a real person, no way. If he is, what an alpha.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #73 on: March 18, 2020, 04:57:29 PM »
This isn't a real person, no way. If he is, what an alpha.

Keefe is reporter's father in law?   ;D ;D ;D

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #74 on: March 18, 2020, 05:14:43 PM »

Time for you to grab your FIL by the balls with a vice grips, strap the vice grips to the truck, and drag him back to California. Oh, and make him pay for the gas.