[Today at 12:50:35 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by warriorchick
[Today at 12:06:20 PM]

MU Gear by Pepe Sylvia
[Today at 11:45:12 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 11:11:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Season Endings  (Read 21139 times)

WarriorFan

• All American
Re: Season Endings
« Reply #50 on: March 10, 2020, 08:20:25 AM »
Here's my theory:  our players are not having fun -- they're playing with too much pressure.

It's not a lack of talent.  It's not crappy game planning. It's not the wrong lineups.  It's not lack of hustle or effort.  For whatever reason, our guys are playing scared or nervous, and it's causing them to make way too many mistakes.  What's killing us right now?  Too many turnovers and committing too many fouls.  That comes from playing tight.

You can see it in their eyes, even early in the St. John's game.  The St. John's guys were smiling, having fun.  Our guys were tense, looked unhappy (even after good plays), like they were carrying around the weight of the world. 

Wojo needs to figure out how to take the pressure off the players and let them play freely, to have fun playing the game.  I don't know if he can do it, but that's what it's going to take.  Look especially at the guys that are struggling the most: Koby and Brendan.  They are talented kids, but it's almost like they're paralyzed with fear on the court.
I mentioned this in an earlier post but you've said it much better.  I don't think we're getting the best out of at least 3 guys because they are playing tight.  For those who remember how Wojo played, he always played tight.  He wasn't good enough to loosen up for a second.  Had to be 170% intensity at all times to compete with better athletes on his own team and on the opposing team.  Maybe he projects the same on his teams?  Maybe only super stubborn, super resilient guys like Rowsey or guys who have been given the ultimate green light like Markus and Carlino can deal with it. 

From the DePaul game I actually think Sacar came out of it and seems to have said to himself "eff it, I'd really like to win this game" and then started playing very well in the 2nd half. 

From my perspective it's the coaching staff job to get the whole team past their mental blocks... simultaneously.
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #51 on: March 10, 2020, 09:38:01 AM »
Wojo also coaches very tight. He wears his emotion on his sleeve. I think that was why it was so noticeable that he was very subdued during the Georgetown game.

connie

• All American
« Reply #52 on: March 10, 2020, 11:17:05 AM »
Because our dumbass fanbase decided that being ranked 18th in the country wasn’t up to their standard and booed them. They then went on the road, didn’t play well but found a way to fight themselves back into a game they ultimately lost close at Nova, and then came home and got booed again before their game against Creighton and the route was on.
I'm trying to wade through the psychoanalysis that popped up here, but don't get this at all.  So the crowd was unhappy and booed and that set off a huge slide in performance that lead to us losing to the bottom teams in the league?  A team good enough to be ranked 18 suddenly loses their ability to hit shots for the rest of the season because they have a bad half and catch some boos?  What, were they mad at the booing and are now punishing the fans by losing 6 of 7, or just so thin skinned that they can't deal with any criticism from fans that can't appreciate a top 20 team? 

I don't have the answer, but I doubt they were crushed/angered by some boos, or that suddenly they got tight because they suddenly "had the weight of the world" on them,  or they finally decided in the last month of the season to react to Wojo's style by not hitting shots and playing poorer defense.
"Let's be careful out there."  Phil Esterhaus

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #53 on: March 10, 2020, 11:33:39 AM »
I'm trying to wade through the psychoanalysis that popped up here, but don't get this at all.  So the crowd was unhappy and booed and that set off a huge slide in performance that lead to us losing to the bottom teams in the league?  A team good enough to be ranked 18 suddenly loses their ability to hit shots for the rest of the season because they have a bad half and catch some boos?  What, were they mad at the booing and are now punishing the fans by losing 6 of 7, or just so thin skinned that they can't deal with any criticism from fans that can't appreciate a top 20 team? 

I don't have the answer, but I doubt they were crushed/angered by some boos, or that suddenly they got tight because they suddenly "had the weight of the world" on them,  or they finally decided in the last month of the season to react to Wojo's style by not hitting shots and playing poorer defense.

Especially since the boos started at the Nova home game win in early January that led to the run. Here is what bothered the team:  The second time through the conference the past two years.

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #54 on: March 10, 2020, 11:35:30 AM »

Don’t bother wading through it. It’s a laughable premise and not worth entertaining.
No Finish Line

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #55 on: March 10, 2020, 11:52:42 AM »
So, why does everyone  think these slides happen? Please, no one word, Wojo answers.  Is it fatigue, lack of adjustments on the second time seeing teams, etc?

In my small brain opinion only, I think it is two fold. He seems so “loyal” to certain players, but I think that is out of fear. Fear of transfer, fear of ego, fear of his lesser ability to manage personalities. This isn’t true team or player development and runs out of gas in the end. Second, I think he is a competent coach, he played at the highest collegiate level, and well, and he does know the game. However, when you recruit athletes they are only so good, so prepared, so tough. You can roll out the ball and get results...until you can’t. Rah rah gets you so far...until it doesn’t. Even 18-22 year old, high level athletes need coaching, good old fashioned, boring, repetitive coaching.

Of course I know nothing about the team dynamic or Wojo, but to me it seems a lack of confidence in the management and true development of the guys. Maybe he is a great number two (tough but the friend). What do I know, though.

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #56 on: March 10, 2020, 11:58:08 AM »
Here's my theory:  our players are not having fun -- they're playing with too much pressure.

It's not a lack of talent.  It's not crappy game planning. It's not the wrong lineups.  It's not lack of hustle or effort.  For whatever reason, our guys are playing scared or nervous, and it's causing them to make way too many mistakes.  What's killing us right now?  Too many turnovers and committing too many fouls.  That comes from playing tight.

You can see it in their eyes, even early in the St. John's game.  The St. John's guys were smiling, having fun.  Our guys were tense, looked unhappy (even after good plays), like they were carrying around the weight of the world. 

Wojo needs to figure out how to take the pressure off the players and let them play freely, to have fun playing the game.  I don't know if he can do it, but that's what it's going to take.  Look especially at the guys that are struggling the most: Koby and Brendan.  They are talented kids, but it's almost like they're paralyzed with fear on the court.

Solid. They are kids, this is college, is should and can be both intense and fun

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #57 on: March 10, 2020, 12:24:49 PM »
Well, regular season is over.

I remember many scoopers saying this year was the year to determine if Wojo stays or goes after last seasons collapse.

What say you?  Why should we want to keep Wojo at the helm?  If next years class is your response, my answer is we saw what Wojo did with a 2 year AA, and how did that turnout?  What about sam and Joey leaving?   What makes you believe he could keep the class together if they commit next year?

How can anyone think he’s the answer for the future of MU?

I have always been Pro-jo, and I will reserve final judgment until the conclusion of this season. I am still hoping we go on a run and win a couple games in the NCAA tournament. But, lets say we lose against Seton Hall and then exit in the first round, I would be supportive of showing him the door. That would be two complete collapses in a row.

Mike Deane's Seat Belt

• All American
« Reply #58 on: March 10, 2020, 12:35:39 PM »
Why would you let the next two games determine whether or not we hire or fire him.  At this point he either deserves to be fired or not depending on which JO camp you are in. 

The total collapse has already happened.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #59 on: March 10, 2020, 12:58:47 PM »
Why would you let the next two games determine whether or not we hire or fire him.  At this point he either deserves to be fired or not depending on which JO camp you are in. 

So if he went to a final four or won it all you'd still elect to fire him? Got it.

lohaus

• Starter
« Reply #60 on: March 10, 2020, 01:34:32 PM »
Mike Deane ring a bell?  And his resume upon his firing was stronger than Wojo’s.

I think we need to immediately get WoJo some Mike Deane gold frame smoke tint glasses. That should at least equal 3 more wins. I found the 6'6" switchables much more entertaining compared to this brand of ball. #MarquetteWing

5DollarPitcher

• All American
« Reply #61 on: March 10, 2020, 01:36:22 PM »
So if he went to a final four or won it all you'd still elect to fire him? Got it.
I’ll bet you $1,000 to charity we aren’t going to a Final Four with your own option to roll it forward on winning it all for $10,000.

The same crap was said when people were bitching last year before the tournament started. And guess what we get blown out in the first round. What’s the point of posing a hypothetical that has a virtual zero percent chance of happening? The whole MU team could catch Coronavirus and forfeit their bid to the tourney. What happens then? How would we view Wojo if that happened?

Our only realistic chance at a win before the season ends is an upset over Hall or a win in the 8/9 or 7/10 game (which would undoubtedly be followed by a shellacking by Dayton or Baylor, et al).  We’ve lost 6 of 7. We lost to DePaul and St Johns when we really could’ve used wins. We took bottom half of Big East standings. We aren’t and won’t be ranked before seasons end. We are graduating a senior-heavy team production-wise. It is what it is at this point. There’s really no more “wait and see” on this season.  If you want to play “wait and see” for next season or 2022 or 2025, that at least makes rational sense. I’m not sure what we would be waiting to see this season.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #62 on: March 10, 2020, 01:43:51 PM »

Because I judge on the entirety of the season. The season has not ended yet. It is that simple. And the NCAA tournament, right or wrong, carries significantly more weight than any of the other games.

If we win an NCAA tournament game, and lose in the second round, I would be willing to give Wojo another year. If we go to the Sweet 16 or better, I am happy. If we lose out, I'd be ok letting him go.

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #63 on: March 10, 2020, 01:47:34 PM »
If we lose to SH on Thursday and a first round loss in the tournament, we will close out the season with five consecutive losses.  We lost four straight to end '13-'14 and lost six straight near the end of '14-'15.

Last time we had 5+ losses to close out a season?  1988.  Lost the last six that year to Evansville, Notre Dame, Virginia Tech, Valparaiso, Creighton and DePaul.

We are due for a win, right?

5DollarPitcher

• All American
« Reply #64 on: March 10, 2020, 01:47:59 PM »
Because I judge on the entirety of the season. The season has not ended yet. It is that simple. And the NCAA tournament, right or wrong, carries significantly more weight than any of the other games.

If we win an NCAA tournament game, and lose in the second round, I would be willing to give Wojo another year. If we go to the Sweet 16 or better, I am happy. If we lose out, I'd be ok letting him go.
Unsure if you’re a Projo or not but one of the patented arguments they use is that the tournament is a “crapshoot” and not an accurate indicator of coach / program success.

If Projos want to use that to build Wojo up despite his lack of tournament success, it would be a glaring plot hole in their tragic production if they used an NCAA win to validate an otherwise mediocre Big East season.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #65 on: March 10, 2020, 01:50:08 PM »
I’ll bet you $1,000 to charity we aren’t going to a Final Four with your own option to roll it forward on winning it all for $10,000.

The same crap was said when people were bitching last year before the tournament started. And guess what we get blown out in the first round. What’s the point of posing a hypothetical that has a virtual zero percent chance of happening? The whole MU team could catch Coronavirus and forfeit their bid to the tourney. What happens then? How would we view Wojo if that happened?

Our only realistic chance at a win before the season ends is an upset over Hall or a win in the 8/9 or 7/10 game (which would undoubtedly be followed by a shellacking by Dayton or Baylor, et al).  We’ve lost 6 of 7. We lost to DePaul and St Johns when we really could’ve used wins. We took bottom half of Big East standings. We aren’t and won’t be ranked before seasons end. We are graduating a senior-heavy team production-wise. It is what it is at this point. There’s really no more “wait and see” on this season.  If you want to play “wait and see” for next season or 2022 or 2025, that at least makes rational sense. I’m not sure what we would be waiting to see this season.

Then why is Wojo being fired discussed in multiple threads here?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #66 on: March 10, 2020, 01:50:44 PM »
Unsure if you’re a Projo or not but one of the patented arguments they use is that the tournament is a “crapshoot” and not an accurate indicator of coach / program success.

If Projos want to use that to build Wojo up despite his lack of tournament success, it would be a glaring plot hole in their tragic production if they used an NCAA win to validate an otherwise mediocre Big East season.

I guess I am a "projo" because I have generally been supportive of him. However, I do not think the NCAA tournament is a pure crapshoot. There is always some luck involved, but it is not a crapshoot. Good teams and good coaches win in March.

I judge on the entire body of work. However, NCAA tournament games carry more weight than others.

5DollarPitcher

• All American
« Reply #67 on: March 10, 2020, 01:56:02 PM »
Not sure you know the difference between a hypothetical and an opinion?  Now I know you weren’t an English or Philosophy major at MU.

5DollarPitcher

• All American
« Reply #68 on: March 10, 2020, 01:57:13 PM »
Also Wojo being fired at the end of this year is about 100x more likely than us going to a Final Four. They’re both unlikely, agreed.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #69 on: March 10, 2020, 02:07:35 PM »

Has Dayton even beat a tournament team? I would love that second round matchup

5DollarPitcher

• All American
« Reply #70 on: March 10, 2020, 02:10:16 PM »
Has Dayton even beat a tournament team? I would love that second round matchup
Yes 18-0 in their conference bring them to us!

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #71 on: March 10, 2020, 02:10:54 PM »
Not sure you know the difference between a hypothetical and an opinion?  Now I know you weren’t an English or Philosophy major at MU.

Right, and we're discussing Stan, Wardle, D2 and D3 coaches as replacements for Wojo.

So are we discussing hypotheticals about Wojo being fired or...?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #72 on: March 10, 2020, 02:11:46 PM »
Yes 18-0 in their conference bring them to us!
Lol. Dayton would absolutely annihilate us.
No Finish Line

f/k/a humanlung

• All American
« Reply #73 on: March 10, 2020, 02:12:31 PM »
Who would of ever thought that winning 5 more regular season games than North Carolina would be a bad season?

NC was crushed by injuries.  Imagine if we only had six available scholarship players, not including Markus.  Any guess what are record would be?

f/k/a humanlung

• All American
« Reply #74 on: March 10, 2020, 02:13:42 PM »

I agree with all of this with the exception of the game planning.