[Today at 03:21:43 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by WhiteTrash
[Today at 03:15:40 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Jockey
[Today at 03:02:03 PM]

MU Gear by Pepe Sylvia
[Today at 11:45:12 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Season Endings  (Read 21141 times)

lawdog77

• All American
Re: Season Endings
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2020, 05:59:27 PM »
So, why does everyone  think these slides happen? Please, no one word, Wojo answers.  Is it fatigue, lack of adjustments on the second time seeing teams, etc?

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2020, 06:04:58 PM »
So, why does everyone  think these slides happen? Please, no one word, Wojo answers.  Is it fatigue, lack of adjustments on the second time seeing teams, etc?
Lack of adjustments, inability to prepare game plans 2nd time around, and inability to motivate supporting players to step up.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2020, 06:14:21 PM »

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2020, 07:12:23 PM »
Other teams have improved more than us and that is also what happen last year. People forget that we had the same record as Villanova in the last nine games last year. The other teams simply got better. Is the failure to develop a sign of poor coaching or a sign of a lack of talent?
I do not think Bailey, John and McEwen would start on any other Big East team.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2020, 07:13:46 PM »
Who would of ever thought that winning 5 more regular season games than North Carolina would be a bad season?

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2020, 03:59:05 PM »

Here's my theory:  our players are not having fun -- they're playing with too much pressure.

It's not a lack of talent.  It's not crappy game planning. It's not the wrong lineups.  It's not lack of hustle or effort.  For whatever reason, our guys are playing scared or nervous, and it's causing them to make way too many mistakes.  What's killing us right now?  Too many turnovers and committing too many fouls.  That comes from playing tight.

You can see it in their eyes, even early in the St. John's game.  The St. John's guys were smiling, having fun.  Our guys were tense, looked unhappy (even after good plays), like they were carrying around the weight of the world. 

Wojo needs to figure out how to take the pressure off the players and let them play freely, to have fun playing the game.  I don't know if he can do it, but that's what it's going to take.  Look especially at the guys that are struggling the most: Koby and Brendan.  They are talented kids, but it's almost like they're paralyzed with fear on the court. 

The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2020, 04:24:22 PM »
Yes let's have a coach bring in a coach so that someone can actually coach.  Just fire the buffoon and move on.
Didn't the admin make Crean bring in the old DePaul coach for that reason.  It’s been done before.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2020, 04:27:47 PM »
Didn't the admin make Crean bring in the old DePaul coach for that reason.  It’s been done before.

Jerry Wainwright.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2020, 04:30:42 PM »
Here's my theory:  our players are not having fun -- they're playing with too much pressure.

It's not a lack of talent.  It's not crappy game planning. It's not the wrong lineups.  It's not lack of hustle or effort.  For whatever reason, our guys are playing scared or nervous, and it's causing them to make way too many mistakes.  What's killing us right now?  Too many turnovers and committing too many fouls.  That comes from playing tight.

You can see it in their eyes, even early in the St. John's game.  The St. John's guys were smiling, having fun.  Our guys were tense, looked unhappy (even after good plays), like they were carrying around the weight of the world. 

Wojo needs to figure out how to take the pressure off the players and let them play freely, to have fun playing the game.  I don't know if he can do it, but that's what it's going to take.  Look especially at the guys that are struggling the most: Koby and Brendan.  They are talented kids, but it's almost like they're paralyzed with fear on the court.

I think this is 100% spot on. The question we need answered is why did this suddenly happen?? I mean, they were ranked 18th at one point, had just throttled Butler at home and ever since the @ Nova game they have been free falling. They need to just play rather then think on the floor so much. I think one of the best ways Wojo MIGHT be able to help is by not starting Koby and Brendan..Let them watch the game from the bench to start, kinda see what's happening out there first, get a feel for it. maybe that calms them down. That does work for some guys...they are just better coming off the bench. Whatever it is, they need to fix it...FAST.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2020, 04:34:18 PM »
Jerry Wainwright.

I thought Buzz brought him in

withoutbias

• All American
« Reply #35 on: March 09, 2020, 07:02:09 PM »
I think this is 100% spot on. The question we need answered is why did this suddenly happen?? I mean, they were ranked 18th at one point, had just throttled Butler at home and ever since the @ Nova game they have been free falling. They need to just play rather then think on the floor so much. I think one of the best ways Wojo MIGHT be able to help is by not starting Koby and Brendan..Let them watch the game from the bench to start, kinda see what's happening out there first, get a feel for it. maybe that calms them down. That does work for some guys...they are just better coming off the bench. Whatever it is, they need to fix it...FAST.

Because our dumbass fanbase decided that being ranked 18th in the country wasn’t up to their standard and booed them. They then went on the road, didn’t play well but found a way to fight themselves back into a game they ultimately lost close at Nova, and then came home and got booed again before their game against Creighton and the route was on.

5DollarPitcher

• All American
« Reply #36 on: March 09, 2020, 07:06:50 PM »
Because our dumbass fanbase decided that being ranked 18th in the country wasn’t up to their standard and booed them. They then went on the road, didn’t play well but found a way to fight themselves back into a game they ultimately lost close at Nova, and then came home and got booed again before their game against Creighton and the route was on.
Soft

withoutbias

• All American
« Reply #37 on: March 09, 2020, 07:09:30 PM »
Soft

Says the guy constantly crying on an anonymous about his favorite basketball team not winning enough to satisfy his needs. Get over yourself.

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #38 on: March 09, 2020, 07:10:28 PM »

This, sir, is an Arby’s.

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #39 on: March 09, 2020, 07:15:22 PM »
I don’t think Wojo’s seat is hot.   We will see how strong and  tough he is with all the criticism flying if he stays.    Is he thick-skinned or not?   We will see
« Last Edit: March 09, 2020, 08:20:22 PM by Daniel »

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #40 on: March 09, 2020, 11:46:57 PM »
Encourage Wojo to leave.

I think he knows he's got a good thing going at Marquette so his ass flesh is welded to the MU bench.

We need to initiate a concerted campaign full of insults and vulgar innuendo designed to frustrate and anger the man.

I have it on very good authority that a series of acts of malicious vandalism at the Mequon Manor - egging, TPing the shrubbery, flaming bags of dog sh1t, prank calls - has triggered a move to Whitefish Bay. Let's keep the man moving eastward. 

Death on call

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #41 on: March 09, 2020, 11:53:08 PM »
Is that true?

Shark

• All American
« Reply #42 on: March 10, 2020, 01:04:34 AM »
Says the guy constantly crying on an anonymous about his favorite basketball team not winning enough to satisfy his needs. Get over yourself.

perfect description

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #43 on: March 10, 2020, 03:02:21 AM »
Is that true?

Yes. Wojo is looking to make a move.

Death on call

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #44 on: March 10, 2020, 05:07:05 AM »
I think he knows he's got a good thing going at Marquette so his ass flesh is welded to the MU bench.

We need to initiate a concerted campaign full of insults and vulgar innuendo designed to frustrate and anger the man.

I have it on very good authority that a series of acts of malicious vandalism at the Mequon Manor - egging, TPing the shrubbery, flaming bags of dog sh1t, prank calls - has triggered a move to Whitefish Bay. Let's keep the man moving eastward.

WFB is much better than Mequon, this is a good adjustment from Wojo.  Will it help recruiting?

Ron Swanson

• Walk-On
« Reply #45 on: March 10, 2020, 07:17:15 AM »

This is spot on!  I would like to see them play a more trapping full-court defense and increase pace of play.  I think an increased pace will get them playing more freely, perhaps share the ball more and improve their turnover margin (meaning they'd force more, not necessarily commit less).  We have the athletes and the depth to play faster, it would be a welcomed change IMO.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #46 on: March 10, 2020, 07:36:54 AM »
This is spot on!  I would like to see them play a more trapping full-court defense and increase pace of play.  I think an increased pace will get them playing more freely, perhaps share the ball more and improve their turnover margin (meaning they'd force more, not necessarily commit less).  We have the athletes and the depth to play faster, it would be a welcomed change IMO.

Actually we have none of that.  We hardly have any depth.  And I don't think we are overly athletic compared to the rest of the Big East.

Our defense is bad enough already...and you want to extend it out further?  If anything they should pack it in.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #47 on: March 10, 2020, 07:51:19 AM »

Spot on. Best comment about the slide I’ve seen yet.

Koby has been tense since December. His shot hasn’t fallen the way it should and he plays tentative. Brendan passed up more open looks at DePaul than did the M/C at the Miss Universe contest.

These guys remind me of a college student who has studied her lights out for an exam but is so wound up she lets her fear get the best of her. She underperforms because she focuses on what she doesn’t know rather than what she knows.

At some point, hopefully this week, Coach Wojo says, “just go out there and have fun. If we get beat by 40, so be it. But let ‘em rip and do things you do best!

“Oh, and Theo... please, please stop dribbling the ball. Just put it in the basket ... take the damn defender through the rim with you if you have to, but don’t dribble!”

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #48 on: March 10, 2020, 08:04:21 AM »

Actually we have none of that.  We hardly have any depth.  And I don't think we are overly athletic compared to the rest of the Big East.

Our defense is bad enough already...and you want to extend it out further?  If anything they should pack it in.

Agreed.  I wish Wojo would take some notes from Budenholzer's defense.  Obviously we don't have a Bledsoe chasing around the ball handler and a Lopez/Giannis waiting at the rim, but we also aren't playing professionals who make more open shots than they miss.  I find college defenses in general to way overextend.  If a team is going to beat you by setting a high ball screen and the ball handler being able to hide behind the screen and shoot a jumper over the screener and defender trying to get around it, so be it.  Instead of protecting the paint, we (and many other college teams) hedge out just as high as the ball handler and the entire lane is wide open.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #49 on: March 10, 2020, 08:07:43 AM »
Agreed.  I wish Wojo would take some notes from Budenholzer's defense.  Obviously we don't have a Bledsoe chasing around the ball handler and a Lopez/Giannis waiting at the rim, but we also aren't playing professionals who make more open shots than they miss.  I find college defenses in general to way overextend.  If a team is going to beat you by setting a high ball screen and the ball handler being able to hide behind the screen and shoot a jumper over the screener and defender trying to get around it, so be it.  Instead of protecting the paint, we (and many other college teams) hedge out just as high as the ball handler and the entire lane is wide open.

The only reason college teams should extend their defense is if they play well with pace.  And I don't think this version of Marquette does. 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

feedback