'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 Coaching Carousel by willie warrior
[Today at 03:50:16 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: 2020 Coaching Carousel  (Read 87816 times)

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
Re: 2020 Coaching Carousel
« Reply #375 on: May 02, 2020, 01:43:43 PM »
It's interesting reading the Wake boards and how giddy they are over this hire...calling it a "home run hire". Understandably after the Manning tenure, it sure would feel like a 'home run hire". For Wake Forest, it is a "home run hire". I'm curious to know how MU fans would feel if MU were to make this hire?? For me, this would NOT be a home run hire..at least not under normal circumstances. It would be like a bunt single to me.

I think WF's fences are quite a bit closer to home plate than they are in most places...

tower912

• All American
« Reply #376 on: May 02, 2020, 01:44:27 PM »
I think WF's fences are quite a bit closer to home plate than they are in most places...
Great phraseology!
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #377 on: May 17, 2020, 03:25:39 PM »
This is...stunning..

Jeff Goodman
@GoodmanHoops
·
May 17
BREAKING: Green Bay has parted ways with Linc Darner, source told @Stadium
. Darner was 92-80 in five seasons was 12 games above .500 in Horizon play, and his contract was through 2026.

Darner and his staff were completely blindsided.

This one is baffling.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #378 on: May 17, 2020, 03:37:56 PM »
This is...stunning..

Jeff Goodman
@GoodmanHoops
·
May 17
BREAKING: Green Bay has parted ways with Linc Darner, source told @Stadium
. Darner was 92-80 in five seasons was 12 games above .500 in Horizon play, and his contract was through 2026.

Darner and his staff were completely blindsided.

This one is baffling.

Sure is. Why now suddenly especially.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #379 on: May 17, 2020, 03:49:44 PM »
Budget cuts?   About to cut the basketball program completely?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #380 on: May 17, 2020, 03:52:18 PM »
That is strange.  He was only making about $230k so its not that much of a cost cutting move, unless they slow roll the hiring of a new coach.  Or something bad happened.

Or maybe they are considering dropping down to D2 or D3. 
« Last Edit: May 17, 2020, 03:54:15 PM by Fluffy Blue Monster »
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #381 on: May 17, 2020, 03:52:30 PM »
Budget cuts?   About to cut the basketball program completely?

That athletic department runs on a shoestring budget. Eating 6 years of a contract? I dunno.

It would not surprise me if they eventually drop a level.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #382 on: May 17, 2020, 03:54:35 PM »
Sure doesn't seem like a cost cutting move..

Kevin Sweeney
@CBB_Central
·
22m
Per @nybuckets
 and @mid_madness
’ handy database, Darner’s buyout on his original deal (extension wasn’t there) was one year’s base salary, so this isn’t the major financial move his long contract implies.

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #383 on: May 17, 2020, 03:54:57 PM »
That athletic department runs on a shoestring budget. Eating 6 years of a contract? I dunno.

We don't know what the buy out was.  Or maybe they'll try the "for cause" angle.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

muguru

• All American
« Reply #384 on: May 17, 2020, 04:31:27 PM »
Jeff Goodman
@GoodmanHoops
·
20s
Getting a ton of coaches in industry texting me with shock at Linc Darner’s dismissal - especially at a time when so many schools having to cut budget.

Darner went to the NCAA five years ago in his first season at the helm. It was first time in 19 seasons for the program.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #385 on: May 17, 2020, 04:36:49 PM »
That is strange.  He was only making about $230k so its not that much of a cost cutting move, unless they slow roll the hiring of a new coach.  Or something bad happened.

Or maybe they are considering dropping down to D2 or D3.

Fluffy BM, ewe coachin' material, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

muguru

• All American
« Reply #386 on: May 17, 2020, 04:57:31 PM »
Darner’s base salary was $230,000 per season. If UWGB must pay the entire contract because it fired him due to performance, the school would owe him more than $1 million. If the school fired him with cause – such as violating an NCAA rule – they could get out of paying him. 

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #387 on: May 17, 2020, 05:05:07 PM »
Darner’s base salary was $230,000 per season. If UWGB must pay the entire contract because it fired him due to performance, the school would owe him more than $1 million. If the school fired him with cause – such as violating an NCAA rule – they could get out of paying him. 

Guru up above you posted a tweet saying that it was one year base salary. At least initially.  My guess is the assistants were largely at will.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #388 on: May 17, 2020, 05:08:59 PM »
Guru up above you posted a tweet saying that it was one year base salary. At least initially.  My guess is the assistants were largely at will.

Yes, that was a tweet from Sweeney, the last item I posted was right from the GB Press Gazette

https://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/story/sports/2020/05/17/uwgb-mens-basketball-coach-linc-darner-fired-school/5209964002/

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #389 on: May 17, 2020, 05:11:03 PM »
Yes, that was a tweet from Sweeney, the last item I posted was right from the GB Press Gazette

https://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/story/sports/2020/05/17/uwgb-mens-basketball-coach-linc-darner-fired-school/5209964002/

That’s why they used the word “if.”  I would be amazed if the entire contract was guaranteed.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #390 on: May 17, 2020, 05:17:08 PM »
Kevin Sweeney
@CBB_Central
·
May 17
Can confirm it’s one year of base salary on Darner’s contract as the buyout, which still had five years left on it. Tough timing to make a move... you had better have a plan if you’re doing something right now.

Viper

• All American
« Reply #391 on: May 17, 2020, 05:17:37 PM »
There must be more to the story here. Darner is a good coach. Did a good job in a difficult locale to recruit to. I would think his head coaching experience would be invaluable to a major program as an assistant. Who knows, maybe he decides to sit a yr in what is an uncertain season anyway and see what options are available in ‘21.
Moron? Maybe. Dork? Possibly. Lost? Definitely.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #392 on: May 17, 2020, 05:21:04 PM »
There must be more to the story here. Darner is a good coach. Did a good job in a difficult locale to recruit to. I would think his head coaching experience would be invaluable to a major program as an assistant. Who knows, maybe he decides to sit a yr in what is an uncertain season anyway and see what options are available in ‘21.

Would be interesting if he parked himself at the end of our bench for a year.  Or would that ruin his buyout?

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #393 on: May 17, 2020, 05:29:44 PM »
Would be interesting if he parked himself at the end of our bench for a year.  Or would that ruin his buyout?

Probably, that’s how buyouts usually work. But, it could be a similar situation to Ford at SLU having his buyout deducted from his new salary.

Question: can GB continue at D1? What is their financial situation?
« Last Edit: May 17, 2020, 05:35:32 PM by Billy Hoyle »
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #394 on: May 17, 2020, 05:35:17 PM »

1. Why at MU?
2. We don’t have room.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #395 on: May 17, 2020, 05:36:47 PM »
Shocking to make a move on May 17th. Something doesn't add up. Not in Green Bay's DNA.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

Skip Intro

• Team Captain
« Reply #396 on: May 17, 2020, 07:07:38 PM »

It has to be either dropping from D1 or a pretty serious issue (unreported player issues, major recruiting violation, etc.).  There's no way his performance merited firing.

With the timing, I'm wondering if they let him know that they were probably dropping to D2/D3 after next season, gave him the option to stay, and he said no thanks.  If they aren't ready to announce the move publicly, they basically have to fire him without explanation. 

With the UW budget shortfalls that are bound to happen over the next few years, no doubt that relatively expensive athletic programs will be some of the first to go, at least temporarily.  Wouldn't doubt if a few UWM programs move down, or are dropped entirely.  In fact, it might actually make more sense for UWGB to drop the men's program entirely, knowing that they could always rejoin the Horizon someday. 

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #397 on: May 17, 2020, 07:20:18 PM »
It has to be either dropping from D1 or a pretty serious issue (unreported player issues, major recruiting violation, etc.).  There's no way his performance merited firing.

With the timing, I'm wondering if they let him know that they were probably dropping to D2/D3 after next season, gave him the option to stay, and he said no thanks.  If they aren't ready to announce the move publicly, they basically have to fire him without explanation. 

With the UW budget shortfalls that are bound to happen over the next few years, no doubt that relatively expensive athletic programs will be some of the first to go, at least temporarily.  Wouldn't doubt if a few UWM programs move down, or are dropped entirely.  In fact, it might actually make more sense for UWGB to drop the men's program entirely, knowing that they could always rejoin the Horizon someday. 

**You can't drop down a few programs.  If you are division one, you are division one.  (With some exception for sports like lacrosse and hockey.)

**Men's basketball is likely their biggest money maker.  That's not the sport they would drop.

It's going to be interesting to see what comes out of this.  After thinking about it more, I doubt they are dropping to D2 or D3.  They don't have a huge array of sports, and none of the real expensive ones like football or hockey.  I guess if it's THAT bad its a possibility...

I am wondering if they just think its a way to get out from under their most expensive contract. 

Or something bad happened.  We will see.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #398 on: May 17, 2020, 07:26:30 PM »

**You can't drop down a few programs.  If you are division one, you are division one.  (With some exception for sports like lacrosse and hockey.)

**Men's basketball is likely their biggest money maker.  That's not the sport they would drop.

It's going to be interesting to see what comes out of this.  After thinking about it more, I doubt they are dropping to D2 or D3.  They don't have a huge array of sports, and none of the real expensive ones like football or hockey.  I guess if it's THAT bad its a possibility...

I am wondering if they just think its a way to get out from under their most expensive contract. 

Or something bad happened.  We will see.

It's strange because there are more than a few posters on their board that are applauding this move, saying it was time for him to go. Not sure what they were/are expecting from that program.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #399 on: May 17, 2020, 07:29:06 PM »
It's strange because there are more than a few posters on their board that are applauding this move, saying it was time for him to go. Not sure what they were/are expecting from that program.

Or who they’re going to get for that salary.