'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: 2020 Coaching Carousel  (Read 87749 times)

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Re: 2020 Coaching Carousel
« Reply #150 on: March 15, 2020, 11:29:50 AM »
Basketball coaches have started to flock to jobs at football schools because they offer a lot more job security and support than basketball schools. If you have a bad basketball season at a football school, the fans just don't show up. If you have a below average season at a basketball school, the fans boo you at home and demand the university fire you.

Disclaimer, this isn't me criticizing our fans or the fans of any other basketball school. Just a comment on the different levels of pressure at different kinds of schools. Fans at other schools are just as crazy...but they focus their wrath on the football program. Just look at Brad Brownell at Clemson or Larry K at Utah. Tad Boyle had a good year at Colorado this year but prior to that he had a pretty uninspiring run.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #151 on: March 15, 2020, 12:19:16 PM »
Good points TAMU. For example, the son of our family friends attends Alabama. He has never attended a Bama basketball game and could not tell me who the coach is. He goes to every football game and loves talking Bama football.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #152 on: March 16, 2020, 04:30:04 PM »
Basketball coaches have started to flock to jobs at football schools because they offer a lot more job security and support than basketball schools. If you have a bad basketball season at a football school, the fans just don't show up. If you have a below average season at a basketball school, the fans boo you at home and demand the university fire you.

Disclaimer, this isn't me criticizing our fans or the fans of any other basketball school. Just a comment on the different levels of pressure at different kinds of schools. Fans at other schools are just as crazy...but they focus their wrath on the football program. Just look at Brad Brownell at Clemson or Larry K at Utah. Tad Boyle had a good year at Colorado this year but prior to that he had a pretty uninspiring run.

I think its also about the level of the program, beyond just the "focus". 

Clemson has 5 NCAA appearances in the last 20 years.  Brownell is responsible for 2 of them, including the only S16 since the late 90s.  That likely bought him some time when his seat got hot.

Tad Boyle went to an NIT semi and 4 NCAAs in his first 6 seasons, after taking over a dumpster fire from Bzdelik who took over for Ricardo Patton, who is the picture of major conference mediocrity.  That bought him a few years which was 2 down seasons and being one of the last out last year and a top 25 team this year.

Georgia is a football school.  They were pretty quick to toss Felton and Fox when they started to fade.  Will be interesting to see what they do with Crean.

Oklahoma is a football school but again a lot of basketball tradition.  Capel had a QUICK hook once he slipped and some allegations came out.

So I think its a combo.  But your overall point, if you're a "football" school and you have a program without a sustained history of success, there is a LONG leash.  I think its more than just "not caring".  Eg: Tim Miles at Nebraska.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #153 on: March 16, 2020, 04:51:35 PM »
Clemson has 5 NCAA appearances in the last 20 years.  Brownell is responsible for 2 of them, including the only S16 since the late 90s.  That likely bought him some time when his seat got hot.

Another way of saying this is: Brownell took over for a program coming off three consecutive NCAA appearances, made the tournament in his first season with the old coach's roster, and since then has had 1 appearance in 9 seasons.

Georgia is a football school.  They were pretty quick to toss Felton and Fox when they started to fade.  Will be interesting to see what they do with Crean.

Mark Fox had the honor of being the longest tenured P6 coach without consecutive NCAA tournament appearances before getting his pink slip. Though to be fair, that was only because Andy Kennedy got fired midseason earlier that year. I'm not sure he's an example of quick to toss.

Oklahoma is a football school but again a lot of basketball tradition.  Capel had a QUICK hook once he slipped and some allegations came out.

I think the added context here is that OU just got off probation for Kelvin Sampson, so they had to make a quick change once it became known that Capel was cut from the same cloth. But maybe they would have still fired him regardless of the violations.

I'm nitpicking here, I do agree with your general premise that it is more than one thing. But being the second most important sport on campus can buy you some extra rope....plus they pay just as well (often better) then the basketball schools.
TAMU

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #154 on: March 16, 2020, 05:09:34 PM »
Good points TAMU. For example, the son of our family friends attends Alabama. He has never attended a Bama basketball game and could not tell me who the coach is. He goes to every football game and loves talking Bama football.

Damn, so no chance at Nate Oats then?

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #155 on: March 16, 2020, 05:42:51 PM »
You make some good points but 'coaches shy(ing) away from MU" is relative. MU in terms of DI jobs is extremely attractive. MU with its resources could hire almost any mid-major coach (Gonzaga, WSU, and a few others excluded). MU could hire any P-6 assistant coach. I agree MU would have a hard time hiring a P-6 head coach but so did UCLA and IU and others.

The football angle is interesting and maybe true but I have never heard any coach say that (I could be wrong). I have heard coaches talk about liking being at basketball only schools. IMO, the football money allows those schools to pay very well, which in turn makes them very attractive.

Salesmen have to sell what they have.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #156 on: March 16, 2020, 08:04:21 PM »
Felton never had a winning league record in six seasons at UGA, one NCAA and one season better than 8ty in SEC.  Fox had two NCAA's in nine years. We'll see where Crean is after five or six seasons there. He's completed two. So far he is recruiting well.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #157 on: March 16, 2020, 08:59:03 PM »
Salesmen have to sell what they have.
From a group of coaches that are their "Dream Jobs" and they "will never leave unless they are fired"?

I see your point.

marqfan22

• Team Captain
« Reply #158 on: March 16, 2020, 09:36:07 PM »
Other coaches shy away from MU, because it is hard University to recruit for. Small private non footballs schools are harder jobs than big football schools. This might be the reason we lost Shaka to Texas.
Having a recruit visit on a football weekend is much more exciting than having a recruit visit for Marquette Madness.

So how does Gonzaga make it work?

They’re even smaller and tiny arena.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #159 on: March 16, 2020, 09:43:16 PM »

Gonzaga recruits internationally.  What they do.

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #160 on: March 17, 2020, 09:14:05 AM »
How does Gonzaga do it

They have kept the same coach for twenty years and they play on a soft conference that doesn’t beat them up.
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #161 on: March 17, 2020, 09:21:25 AM »
Bryce Drew to Grand Canyon University.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #162 on: March 17, 2020, 09:22:03 AM »
They have kept the same coach for twenty years and they play on a soft conference that doesn’t beat them up.

The soft conference doesn't help with recruiting though.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #163 on: March 17, 2020, 09:26:15 AM »

The soft conference doesn't help with recruiting though.

If you can guarantee a kid he will go to the NCAA tournament every year and play a difficult non conference schedule it may be a net positive.  UNLV played that game for years. 
— Plato

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #164 on: March 17, 2020, 09:28:08 AM »
If you can guarantee a kid he will go to the NCAA tournament every year and play a difficult non conference schedule it may be a net positive.  UNLV played that game for years. 

UNLV's players were getting paid.  You think Jerry Tarkanian was out there talking about the soft Big West schedule?

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #165 on: March 17, 2020, 11:52:18 AM »
Bryce Drew to Grand Canyon University.

Not a bad place to restart a career. Wouldn't be surprised if he got a second shot at a high major gig somewhere down the road
TAMU

Warrior-Eagle

• Walk-On
« Reply #166 on: March 18, 2020, 12:25:30 AM »
Damn, so no chance at Nate Oats then?

Anything is Possible but NOT everything is Probable. TAMU highlights the pressure on basketball only schools with limited resources. Nate Oats is a NOJO favorite solution that inked a five year $2.5 million contract as an unproven power 6 coach with a modest $9 million buyout in year one. Resource rich football schools have changed the market for basketball only schools. Just an observation......

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #167 on: March 18, 2020, 07:22:44 AM »
Anything is Possible but NOT everything is Probable. TAMU highlights the pressure on basketball only schools with limited resources. Nate Oats is a NOJO favorite solution that inked a five year $2.5 million contract as an unproven power 6 coach with a modest $9 million buyout in year one. Resource rich football schools have changed the market for basketball only schools. Just an observation......

Yes. And the news out yesterday about how little cash is going to be distributed to its members will disproportionately impact the non Power 5 schools and their lack of massive television contracts. The BE is somewhat sheltered from this but not completely.

Between its earlier enrollment issues, the virus and the economic problems it could cause, and the lack of NCAA credits, MU may not be in a financial position to dump Wojo and get a new coach for awhile.

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #168 on: March 18, 2020, 01:33:29 PM »

UNLV's players were getting paid.  You think Jerry Tarkanian was out there talking about the soft Big West schedule?

No and Mark Few isn’t either.  You recruit to your strengths.  20+ win seasons (virtually guaranteed with soft schedule), consecutive NCAA appearances (same), strong out of conference schedule (ability to do because conference schedule is poor).
— Plato

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #169 on: March 18, 2020, 01:34:31 PM »
Yes. And the news out yesterday about how little cash is going to be distributed to its members will disproportionately impact the non Power 5 schools and their lack of massive television contracts. The BE is somewhat sheltered from this but not completely.

Between its earlier enrollment issues, the virus and the economic problems it could cause, and the lack of NCAA credits, MU may not be in a financial position to dump Wojo and get a new coach for awhile.

Nor should they dump him.
— Plato

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #170 on: March 18, 2020, 03:15:34 PM »
Gotta love a large Polish Catholic family that has your back.

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #171 on: March 18, 2020, 06:06:33 PM »

Yea. Those 1-6 finishes each of the last two years punctuated by losing to lost place teams in the league was stellar.

With a 1st Team All-American. Guy can flat out coach.

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #172 on: March 18, 2020, 07:02:02 PM »
Gotta love a large Polish Catholic family that has your back.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #173 on: March 27, 2020, 10:58:35 AM »
UIC hires Luke Yaklich.
He won't be around long if he has any success, but seems like a good hire to try to turn around what seems like a perpetually underachieving program.

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #174 on: March 27, 2020, 11:44:50 AM »
UIC hires Luke Yaklich.
He won't be around long if he has any success, but seems like a good hire to try to turn around what seems like a perpetually underachieving program.
Yeah this seems like a really good hire for UIC. Definitely worth keeping an eye on.