[Today at 09:34:04 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by GoldenEagles03
[Today at 08:56:20 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[April 23, 2024, 09:23:41 PM]

Best case scenarios by Frenns Liquor Depot
[April 23, 2024, 03:55:21 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: If Wojo left the program today...  (Read 37289 times)

Johnny B

• All American
Re: If Wojo left the program today...
« Reply #200 on: February 25, 2020, 01:54:31 PM »
This thread is the scoop I’m here for. Excellent responses to this false narrative that MU has an entitled, unrealistic fan base.
It's the same arguments over and over again all season.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #201 on: February 25, 2020, 01:56:06 PM »
Yup. And I know we're on our way when I don't hear about how every team we play is a "bad matchup" for MU.

Correct...shouldn't it be about MU being a bad match up for them against every team they play?? Isn't that what we should want other teams's fans to think/feel, like so many MU fans do with us?? Shouldn't it be about getting to the point that you feel you have a LEGIT chance to compete for a conference title almost every year(that doesn't mean you will win it every year)?? Shouldn't it be about when you get a little taste of success(ie being ranked or whatever), that you sustain it for a period of time, rather then lose it right away?? Shouldn't it mostly be about giving your fans reason for hope that after 6 years your program isn't just a "fart in the wind" to most other fans nationally??
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

MUBBau

• Team Captain
« Reply #202 on: February 25, 2020, 02:00:40 PM »
It hardly falls all on the fans.  It CAN and is one factor.

MU fans are really good, they can also get out of whack.  I would say that about MKE fans in general.  Wait until the sucks don’t win the title this year...oh the fun that will be.

MU hardly puts basketball at the center of everything...where is that even coming from?

Wow, are you 10 years old?

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #203 on: February 25, 2020, 02:01:31 PM »
Marquette, where we build shrines to the players who quit on the team and boo the people that are working hard for the team

Yup...it is amazing
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #204 on: February 25, 2020, 02:05:32 PM »
BUT that year of the famed Davidson miracle we went 14-4 in the toughest conference in the NCAA and won a share of the regular season title.  So it wasn't some miraculous run to the E8, and that game was water finding its level more than anything.

More like Davidson pissing themselves....but the point is that despite being 14-4 it took a miracle to win that first round game...one team who was near the of the nation in FT shooting shot horrendously for them, coughed up a major turnover, and of course we made some great shots...what you do in the regular season means not much in the tournament.   UMBC UVA
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #205 on: February 25, 2020, 02:07:50 PM »
More like Davidson pissing themselves....but the point is that despite being 14-4 it took a miracle to win that first round game...one team who was near the of the nation in FT shooting shot horrendously for them, coughed up a major turnover, and of course we made some great shots...what you do in the regular season means not much in the tournament.   UMBC UVA
Obvious biases are obvious
No Finish Line

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #206 on: February 25, 2020, 02:08:32 PM »
Administration will take notice much faster at empty seats than booing

It would be nice if we heard ANYTHING from the administration.  Two starters walkout the door following an utter collapse to end the season and no one above Wojo has a comment.  That shows an indifference to the fans, alums, donors and STH's.   
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #207 on: February 25, 2020, 02:10:13 PM »

And if Davidson didn't "piss themselves" we'd still have a regular season co-championship banner to hang.  And we had two S16s the two years before.  Buzz went into Davidson with house money.  He could afford the crapshoot.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #208 on: February 25, 2020, 02:13:49 PM »
What are we going to learn in the next 30 days that we haven't already learned? Sure I'd love to see us end with a 7 game win streak and E8 run, but it's really unlikely. What is likely is that we end right between the worst and the best predictions.
Let's say they win 3 of the next 4, win one or maybe two in NYC, and then win one tournament game and lose one.  I think that falls in line with everybody's expectations heading into the season.   And then ask yourself, how many programs are firing a coach after making the tourney 3/4 years (with decent seeds) and a solid conference record?

5DollarPitcher

• All American
« Reply #209 on: February 25, 2020, 02:14:46 PM »
It would be nice if we heard ANYTHING from the administration.  Two starters walkout the door following an utter collapse to end the season and no one above Wojo has a comment.  That shows an indifference to the fans, alums, donors and STH's.   
They are indifferent. Wojo serves pancakes at midnight to students during Finals Week in the AMU. He and Lovell make for a nice front cover of MU Magazine. He goes to Church and has kids and lives in the North Shore and plays golf with the BOT. That’s the stuff they care about. Not winning basketball games, hanging banners, etc.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #210 on: February 25, 2020, 02:32:50 PM »
So, I hope this isn't controversial, but I think the tangent of this thread was all because someone asked the fans not to boo when we have a highly ranked recruit in the arena.

Can we agree that's a bad idea?

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #211 on: February 25, 2020, 02:35:30 PM »
This thread is the scoop I’m here for. Excellent responses to this false narrative that MU has an entitled, unrealistic fan base.

I wonder why some of our former coaches said that then.  Weird

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #212 on: February 25, 2020, 02:36:56 PM »
So, I hope this isn't controversial, but I think the tangent of this thread was all because someone asked the fans not to boo when we have a highly ranked recruit in the arena.

Agree. It’s not something I’d do or be comfortable doing regardless of recruits being there or not.
No Finish Line

21rooster

• Starter
« Reply #213 on: February 25, 2020, 02:37:44 PM »
They are indifferent. Wojo serves pancakes at midnight to students during Finals Week in the AMU. He and Lovell make for a nice front cover of MU Magazine. He goes to Church and has kids and lives in the North Shore and plays golf with the BOT. That’s the stuff they care about. Not winning basketball games, hanging banners, etc.

They obviously care about winning basketball games and hanging banners - I don't think many university presidents tweet more about their basketball teams than ours.  But it is my guess that they would trade 3 of four NCAA tourney appearances and no Chicago Tribune appearances for non-sports-related allegations over NCAA appearances every year with less regard for the university's reputation.  It's actually pretty remarkable (knock on wood) that there have been zero reports of major off-the-court issues over six years under Wojo.  That probably holds a lot more weight for the administration than it does for the casual fan. 

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #214 on: February 25, 2020, 02:38:13 PM »
I believe it was Vander Blue who loved the fact that opponents would look at the schedule and mutter to themselves on seeing Marquette, "Sh1t...we are playing those guys..."

Now, those same opponents exclaim, "Sh1t! We are playing those guys!"

Thanks, Wojo. Ending opponent losing streaks six years running

Death on call

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #215 on: February 25, 2020, 02:39:25 PM »
I believe it was Vander Blue who loved the fact that opponents would look at the schedule and mutter to themselves on seeing Marquette, "Sh1t...we are playing those guys..."

Now, those same opponents exclaim, "Sh1t! We are playing those guys!"

Well statements like this - not based on facts - don't help anyone.

Thanks, Wojo. Ending opponent losing streaks six years running

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #216 on: February 25, 2020, 02:39:46 PM »

Quirky thing called privacy laws

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #217 on: February 25, 2020, 02:41:39 PM »
Obvious biases are obvious

Just repeating what their fanbase said and some journalists.  Also what every one of our fans would have said if we lost or if the other team was ND, Wisconsin....the word choke would be out in nanoseconds.   Thrilled we won, went crazy when we did...glad they pissed themselves and we took advantage of it.

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #218 on: February 25, 2020, 02:44:33 PM »

Again, has anyone here suggested that fans do so?

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #219 on: February 25, 2020, 02:45:13 PM »
Just repeating what their fanbase said and some journalists.  Also what every one of our fans would have said if we lost or if the other team was ND, Wisconsin....the word choke would be out in nanoseconds.   Thrilled we won, went crazy when we did...glad they pissed themselves and we took advantage of it.
Words you’d never utter if that team was coached by someone other than Buzz
No Finish Line

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #220 on: February 25, 2020, 02:45:36 PM »

How else can the aggrieved parties of the injustice of these basketball atrocities be able to show their discontent?

Yes, it a horrible idea which is why some will do it anyway.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #221 on: February 25, 2020, 02:46:53 PM »

You want the university president issuing public statements on the transfer of a couple of basketball players?
Oh, boy.
Seriously, has this ever happened anywhere?

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #222 on: February 25, 2020, 02:50:39 PM »
Any y'all got bigger fish ta fry, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

5DollarPitcher

• All American
« Reply #223 on: February 25, 2020, 02:52:23 PM »
Any y'all got bigger fish ta fry, hey?
Fish Fry is on Friday

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #224 on: February 25, 2020, 02:53:36 PM »
Again, has anyone here suggested that fans do so?

I haven't seen anyone encourage booing (well, maybe a couple wacko posters in other threads), but certainly there has been reports of booing.  I think the idea to was spread the message that it's stoopid, a big recruit will be in the arena, and you shouldn't do it.  Spread it around...

feedback