[Today at 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[Today at 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: If Wojo left the program today...  (Read 37500 times)

5DollarPitcher

• All American
Re: If Wojo left the program today...
« Reply #175 on: February 25, 2020, 12:41:38 PM »
Nice post.

Honestly, if I were Wojo, I'd listen this offseason. A portion of this fanbase has insanely high expectations that frankly aren't realistic.  Marquette is a nice midwest program with a nice history that invests heavily in its basketball program.  Its not a blue blood, or frankly even close.  Its a top 25-30 program, with a largely entitled fanbase that think it should be perennial top 10 team.  I too wish Wojo has had more success over his tenture, but I am not blind to the trajectory of the program based on hatred.  The grass is not always greener, and I think losing Wojo would be a significant step back for the program for the foreseeable future.  No thanks.
It’s a weird phenomenon amongst the Projos to tell themselves that this is all our program is ever worth.  Especially considering the tangible success brought to the program over the tenure of the previous couple coaches.

No one here expects perennial Top 10. We expect occasional runs in the tourney and occasional Big East regular season or tourney titles - or even championship game appearances.

The crowning achievement of the Wojo era thus far has been a regular season win in January. Stop selling this program short.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #176 on: February 25, 2020, 12:41:50 PM »
Totally false.  Because we haven’t had any real success under Wojo and fans are getting upset about it, the new narrative being pushed is that we’re “an entitled fan base.”  You’re far from the only one saying it, but that doesn’t make it true.

Lol, you read this board daily?  Its littered with entitlement! People were even complaining 2 weeks ago when MU was 17-6 (7-4) and ranked #18 in the nation despite the roster turnover.  Fast forward 2 weeks and the earth is crumbling despite MU being 6/7 seed type team despite a 3 game losing streak.

I think its safe to say that its probably a small % of the overall fanbase that has the overly entitled attitude, but they can be heard quite clearly, especially here.  I've only been to one game in Milwaukee this year (vs. Depaul) and the fans were booing Wojo.  Its embarrassing. 
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #177 on: February 25, 2020, 12:42:52 PM »
This doesn't all fall on the fans.  I'm not saying the fans are responsible for creating an amazing atmosphere despite frustrations - that's your own decision.  Just don't boo with a 16- or 17-year-old kid watching a game, deciding if he wants to come to MU.  In other words, don't undermine the coaches' efforts to get better.  Take a logical approach.  I don't think that's making "this all fall on the fans."

Is anyone here advocating the booing of the players?

5DollarPitcher

• All American
« Reply #178 on: February 25, 2020, 12:43:54 PM »
Lol, you read this board daily?  Its littered with entitlement! People were even complaining 2 weeks ago when MU was 17-6 (7-4) and ranked #18 in the nation despite the roster turnover.  Fast forward 2 weeks and the earth is crumbling despite MU being 6/7 seed type team despite a 3 game losing streak.

I think its safe to say that its probably a small % of the overall fanbase that has the overly entitled attitude, but they can be heard quite clearly, especially here.  I've only been to one game in Milwaukee this year (vs. Depaul) and the fans were booing Wojo.  Its embarrassing.
Yes! Everyone should sit down, shut up, and accept their first round NCAA tourney appearances! We are lucky to be D1, honestly.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #179 on: February 25, 2020, 12:51:22 PM »
It’s a weird phenomenon amongst the Projos to tell themselves that this is all our program is ever worth.  Especially considering the tangible success brought to the program over the tenure of the previous couple coaches.

No one here expects perennial Top 10. We expect occasional runs in the tourney and occasional Big East regular season or tourney titles - or even championship game appearances.

The crowning achievement of the Wojo era thus far has been a regular season win in January. Stop selling this program short.

I am not selling anything short.  I said Marquette is a top 25-30 program in the country.  Which it is.  I am far from a "Projo" and think the guy has some obvious weaknesses, but I also don't think all these high level coaches are banging down the door to come live in and recruit to Milwaukee.  If Wojo moves on, it all likelihood we're starting over with another young and upcoming coach that likely will jump ship if he has sustained success.  I legitimately think Wojo wants to and is building something here.  Sure, its sucks that we haven't won an NCAA tourney game in his tenure, but the tournament is largely a crapshoot and I'm not judging his entire coaching resume on (to this point) 2 games.  The recruiting has been good - next year's class is another nice one.  I am excited about where the program is going and I personally am not losing my sh*t over a coach that will have taken MU to the dance 3/4 years here shortly, and the year he missed was 2 seed in the NIT. 

I too want to see runs in the tourney, fighting for BE regular season crowns, etc.  We all want the same thing.  I think we can get there with this guy (again, he's put us in the tourney 3 of the last 4 years), and I am not dying to see this program rebuild again with the next up and comer that so many of you think will be the savior.   

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #180 on: February 25, 2020, 12:53:20 PM »
Yes! Everyone should sit down, shut up, and accept their first round NCAA tourney appearances! We are lucky to be D1, honestly.

By all means, boo when prospects are visiting.  How that’s productive is beyond me. 
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #181 on: February 25, 2020, 12:53:55 PM »

Yah, you should sit down and stop booing.  You look/sound like an entitled fool. 

I didn't say anything about being happy with current results and that I am just glad we're D1. Work on your reading comprehension. 

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #182 on: February 25, 2020, 12:55:45 PM »
By all means, boo when prospects are visiting.  How that’s productive is beyond me.

Marquette, where we build shrines to the players who quit on the team and boo the people that are working hard for the team
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #183 on: February 25, 2020, 12:58:56 PM »
Marquette, where we build shrines to the players who quit on the team and boo the people that are working hard for the team

That would make a great signature

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #184 on: February 25, 2020, 12:59:35 PM »
I'm not advocating for booing but calling fans entitled because they are sick of spending thousands of dollars annually on a program that hasn't added anything meaningful to its legacy in 6+ is ridiculous. 

And I know, I could easily give up my 4 seats...but you know what, I would rather the team would instead do one of three things every few years:

Win a conf title
Win a BET
Make the 2nd weekend

Just ONE of those things every few years and I'm happy.  It shows either sustained success over a season or the capability to rally together in March to create long lasting memories.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #185 on: February 25, 2020, 01:00:46 PM »
I'm not advocating for booing but calling fans entitled because they are sick of spending thousands of dollars annually on a program that hasn't added anything meaningful to its legacy in 6+ is ridiculous. 

And I know, I could easily give up my 4 seats...but you know what, I would rather the team would instead do one of three things every few years:

Win a conf title
Win a BET
Make the 2nd weekend

Just ONE of those things every few years and I'm happy.  It shows either sustained success over a season or the capability to rally together in March to create long lasting memories.

Administration will take notice much faster at empty seats than booing

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #186 on: February 25, 2020, 01:00:56 PM »
This is so out of touch with reality. First, it is a very loyal fan base as seen in attendance. Second, fans pay pro money in a pro arena in the premiere basketball only conference. Third, MU administrations have been very patient in rewarding our coaches. Fourth, Scoop is a small sample of the MU fans and some of the most fanatic.

As the sixth year closes on this regime, this coach is a sub .500 in conference and poor versus Top 25 teams where a 30% or 40% winning percent would be considered very good, and with no NCAA wins. It’s not unreasonable to expect a little higher degree of success. While fans hope for Elite 8, they don’t expect it. But, they do expect that their coach can deliver our fair share of advanced success.

Let’s close out and keep the ball roll going here through the post-season.

I don't think your points are unfair.  I think they're all legitimate concerns.  You laid them out logically, and I mostly I agree. I'd be willing to bet you aren't one of the clowns booing our coach at our home games. 

I never said the program should have no expectations.  But we've had largely similar results the last 4 seasons as we did under Buzz, without the ncaa tournament success which is pretty much a crapshoot.  FFS, the year were went the E8 we were incredibly fortunate to not lose in the first round to Davidson. 

dinger

• Starter
« Reply #187 on: February 25, 2020, 01:01:15 PM »
We'll see how March shakes out, but I don't think Wojo's level of success thus far will be that difficult to replace.  Obviously the next 30 days will tell us a lot.

What are we going to learn in the next 30 days that we haven't already learned? Sure I'd love to see us end with a 7 game win streak and E8 run, but it's really unlikely. What is likely is that we end right between the worst and the best predictions.

What's also likely is that Wojo will leave MU soon-ish anyway given the average coach either is fired after ~6.9 years, leaves after ~5.4, and resigns or retires after ~9 https://tinyurl.com/ul9pona. So to go with the title of the thread, his resume will be neither spectacular nor unspectacular.

I will say I don't get why some here fall in love with a coach in general because they're going to eventually leave and you will stay with the program, not the coach. That isn't free reign to be a jerk about it - Wojo isn't coming into your office and yelling "Fire you!" when you have a bad day or "You Moron!" when you get a bad grade on a test (not saying this to you LAZER, just saying it in general).

But that said I've dropped my expectations for MU under Wojo by quite a bit the last couple years, and while I don't like doing that I'm expecting the next month to go about in line with the last 4, and no huge leap forward the next couple years

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #188 on: February 25, 2020, 01:04:45 PM »
Damn there are some dumb motherf****rs in here today

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #189 on: February 25, 2020, 01:17:38 PM »
ts a top 25-30 program, with a largely entitled fanbase that think it should be perennial top 10 team.

This is so patently false.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #190 on: February 25, 2020, 01:23:34 PM »
This is so patently false.

So then why has has a portion of the fanbase been calling for Wojo's head, booing him at games, being extremely negative towards anything about his coaching all season when this team was ranked inside the top 20 as recently as 2 days ago?  Most of those same people were also pretty negative last season despite being ranked the majority of the season and getting a 5 seed in the ncaa tournament. 

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #191 on: February 25, 2020, 01:31:19 PM »
I don't think your points are unfair.  I think they're all legitimate concerns.  You laid them out logically, and I mostly I agree. I'd be willing to bet you aren't one of the clowns booing our coach at our home games. 

I never said the program should have no expectations.  But we've had largely similar results the last 4 seasons as we did under Buzz, without the ncaa tournament success which is pretty much a crapshoot.  FFS, the year were went the E8 we were incredibly fortunate to not lose in the first round to Davidson.

BUT that year of the famed Davidson miracle we went 14-4 in the toughest conference in the NCAA and won a share of the regular season title.  So it wasn't some miraculous run to the E8, and that game was water finding its level more than anything. 
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #192 on: February 25, 2020, 01:32:33 PM »
So then why has has a portion of the fanbase been calling for Wojo's head, booing him at games, being extremely negative towards anything about his coaching all season when this team was ranked inside the top 20 as recently as 2 days ago?  Most of those same people were also pretty negative last season despite being ranked the majority of the season and getting a 5 seed in the ncaa tournament.

1) College kids can be dumbasses.
2) In that run of 5 of 6 there were a lot of positives mentioned about his coaching. Particularly changing up defense and coverages late in games. And learning to foul up three late.
3) You do remember how last season ended, right?

It's not unreasonable to want more than what we've seen. MU has an all-timer on it's roster and hasn't done crap with him. That's problematic.

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #193 on: February 25, 2020, 01:34:15 PM »

Simple:  No BE regular season titles, no top 25 finishes, zero NCAA tournament wins in his first five seasons when the previous two guys did way more in their first five. 

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #194 on: February 25, 2020, 01:47:44 PM »

Lol.  You say that now, but after the Final Four our fans were crapping all over Crean.   It’s always about the bar and the elusive pursuit back to what one man did in a world that has changed DRAMATICALLY.

Being a top 25 to 35 program, making the tournament 4 of 5 years...we are pacing toward that next year, etc is not selling the program short UNLESS you anchor it to one period by one coach here almost 50 years ago.

Sure Crean had a moment, Buzz had a moment, they also came back to the mean as well.  People don’t seem to remember those times or dismiss them with a pass.

"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

5DollarPitcher

• All American
« Reply #195 on: February 25, 2020, 01:47:52 PM »
By saying this you’re implying that the next rung up the ladder for Wojo is perennial Top 10 team. Disingenuous to say the least.

There is a canyon of success between what Wojo has done and perennial Top 10 team.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #196 on: February 25, 2020, 01:49:36 PM »
There is a canyon of success between what Wojo has done and perennial Top 10 team.

Yup. And I know we're on our way when I don't hear about how every team we play is a "bad matchup" for MU.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #197 on: February 25, 2020, 01:51:30 PM »
I love how this all falls on the fans.  The University has made basketball their identity and incorporates basketball into nearly every touch point with alums and prospective students.  It's not unreasonable then that fans get antsy when this oft celebrated and well funded entity has not been relevant in 6+ years. 

No conference title,
No BET title,
No S16 (heck no NCAA win period)

It's year 7 of that drought. 

How are fans supposed to act when the University puts basketball at the center of everything?

It hardly falls all on the fans.  It CAN and is one factor.

MU fans are really good, they can also get out of whack.  I would say that about MKE fans in general.  Wait until the sucks don’t win the title this year...oh the fun that will be.

MU hardly puts basketball at the center of everything...where is that even coming from?
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #198 on: February 25, 2020, 01:51:57 PM »
This thread is the scoop I’m here for. Excellent responses to this false narrative that MU has an entitled, unrealistic fan base.
No Finish Line

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #199 on: February 25, 2020, 01:52:56 PM »
1) College kids can be dumbasses.
2) In that run of 5 of 6 there were a lot of positives mentioned about his coaching. Particularly changing up defense and coverages late in games. And learning to foul up three late.
3) You do remember how last season ended, right?

It's not unreasonable to want more than what we've seen. MU has an all-timer on it's roster and hasn't done crap with him. That's problematic.

I'll add, since Mack left Xavier, there's a pretty wide open window for another program to jump up in the conference pecking order and establish itself behind Villanova. At times the past two seasons, it seemed like MU could be that program. Unfortunately, it also looks increasingly likely it will be another missed opportunity.

feedback