* Recent Posts

2024 Transfer Portal by wadesworld
[Today at 05:56:07 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by tower912
[Today at 05:47:31 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[Today at 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: If Wojo left the program today...  (Read 37424 times)

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
Re: If Wojo left the program today...
« Reply #150 on: February 25, 2020, 07:46:57 AM »
Multiple IDs with same IP and MAC Address. Explain that!

MUScoop doesn't log MAC addresses. We do log your closest Arby's though.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #151 on: February 25, 2020, 07:51:05 AM »
Cheeks

I am not sure if you were serving one of your bans from Scoop last season or not but I was not excited with our top ten ranking last winter. I pointed out many times that it was fools gold and was proven right.
I believe the top ten ranking last year was justified. That was a talented team. The frustrating and very telling part to me is the coach couldn’t handle the success and let it get away from him. The team was dysfunctional down the stretch, that was glaringly obvious. The coach couldn’t prevent it or fix it.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #152 on: February 25, 2020, 08:12:52 AM »
Multiple IDs with same IP and MAC Address. Explain that!

Good try and you would be wrong....again.  Nothing to explain.  What else you got?
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #153 on: February 25, 2020, 08:15:33 AM »
I believe the top ten ranking last year was justified. That was a talented team. The frustrating and very telling part to me is the coach couldn’t handle the success and let it get away from him. The team was dysfunctional down the stretch, that was glaringly obvious. The coach couldn’t prevent it or fix it.

How could Wojo not handle the success?  What does that even mean?

I think most of the problems of last year were injury and chemistry related mixed with the lack of adjustments which has been an issue with Wojo. (But he has clearly improved in that regard.)  But I don’t think he buckled under pressure or anything like that.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

• All American
« Reply #154 on: February 25, 2020, 08:16:33 AM »
Cheeks isn’t posting under multiple IDs right now. He’s just carpet combing the place with one.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #155 on: February 25, 2020, 08:21:00 AM »
Cheeks

I am not sure if you were serving one of your bans from Scoop last season or not but I was not excited with our top ten ranking last winter. I pointed out many times that it was fools gold and was proven right.

Goose

I love ya man, but I just checked your posts from January to February of last year before we played at Villanova and if that is “mailing it in” I don’t know wha5 to tell you.  You were as excited as anyone here, predicting Markus would go Pro, predicting a 3 or better seed, etc.  That’s why I was puzzled with your comment that you mailed it in during year four....but ok.  I don’t believe your posts leading into that Nova game represent that in my opinion, or anything representing fool’s gold.....after we lost games...sure...but not leading up to it.

Just my opinion in reading them.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

• All American
« Reply #156 on: February 25, 2020, 08:23:14 AM »
I think this is the right summation for many.  2018-19 and 2019-20 were the years we were building toward, and the first one fizzled out badly (one win in our last 7 games) and this one is good but not great, which is what we were expecting.  For me, I just want to feel like we have a solid chance to win the Big East, or the Big East Tournament or make a run in the tournament.  The only time I've felt like that in 6 years was for a few weeks in Jan/early Feb last year.  I am still not a fire Wojo guy, but last year's finish and the Hausers' subsequent exit took a lot of enthusiasm out of me.

I think this describes a lot of people. Mediocrity when you were expecting more is the worst. (And I mean Big East mediocrity before some pedant compares us to a mid major.)

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #157 on: February 25, 2020, 08:23:50 AM »
Cheeks isn’t posting under multiple IDs right now. He’s just carpet combing the place with one.

And I get early retirement in a few months with all kinds of extra time on my hands.  Awesome...eh Sultan? 

And I haven’t posted with multiple ids in years, but I love watching people’s heads explode thinking it happens.  I hear Billy loves it, too.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #158 on: February 25, 2020, 08:34:14 AM »
How could Wojo not handle the success?  What does that even mean?

I think most of the problems of last year were injury and chemistry related mixed with the lack of adjustments which has been an issue with Wojo. (But he has clearly improved in that regard.)  But I don’t think he buckled under pressure or anything like that.
What injuries? Don’t give me the freshmen wall and team being beat up BS. Every team goes through that. Those are Tower like excuses.

You are correct. Wojo has issues with lack of adjustments. The 2019 team was humming along and doing well. It’s the coach’s job to keep the team grounded and focused. Handling success is a thing, maybe you have never been successful or have always been able to handle it. Good for you. Anyway its beating a dead horse, hoping the team can get some more wins in conference this year.

• All American
« Reply #159 on: February 25, 2020, 08:38:54 AM »
What injuries? Don’t give me the freshmen wall and team being beat up BS. Every team goes through that. Those are Tower like excuses.

You are correct. Wojo has issues with lack of adjustments. The 2019 team was humming along and doing well. It’s the coach’s job to keep the team grounded and focused. Handling success is a thing, maybe you have never been successful or have always been able to handle it. Good for you. Anyway its beating a dead horse, hoping the team can get some more wins in conference this year.

The inability to handle success is a thing. But that’s not what happened last year.

And Markus hurt his wrist late in the year last year. He wasn’t the same after that.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #160 on: February 25, 2020, 08:49:28 AM »

Markus Howard injury wasn’t a huge thing last year with his wrist.  I contend Elliott’s injury caused us depth issues.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #161 on: February 25, 2020, 10:12:45 AM »
If Wojo left after this season, the perception of his era would depend entirely on how his replacement did. If the next hire ends up being our Jay Wright, his time will be viewed as a 6 year long fart in the wind. If the next hire ends up being another Dukiet, his time will be viewed more as "we didn't know how good we had it." Doubly so if Wojo is successful at another program.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

21rooster

• Starter
« Reply #162 on: February 25, 2020, 11:32:20 AM »
A quick thought for the NoJo crew here, particularly the students.  We're all frustrated, but keep the boos (not the booze) out of the Fiserv, and spread the word if you've got buddies that boo.  This is particularly true for Saturday, when we're hosting a five-star junior.  The boos aren't going to change the minds of the decision-makers in Marquette's athletic department - they will evaluate Wojo based on their own criteria.  However, the boos undoubtedly can have an impact on a highly talented high school kid who hears his potential future coach getting booed.  It not only instills doubt about the coach's future, but it also makes you think twice about the student section you'll be playing in front of.  There is no way to have a positive impact by booing the coach, but you can have a negative impact on the program when doing so with a high-level recruit in the house.  Use your heads on this one. 

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #163 on: February 25, 2020, 11:39:47 AM »
A quick thought for the NoJo crew here, particularly the students.  We're all frustrated, but keep the boos (not the booze) out of the Fiserv, and spread the word if you've got buddies that boo.  This is particularly true for Saturday, when we're hosting a five-star junior.  The boos aren't going to change the minds of the decision-makers in Marquette's athletic department - they will evaluate Wojo based on their own criteria.  However, the boos undoubtedly can have an impact on a highly talented high school kid who hears his potential future coach getting booed.  It not only instills doubt about the coach's future, but it also makes you think twice about the student section you'll be playing in front of.  There is no way to have a positive impact by booing the coach, but you can have a negative impact on the program when doing so with a high-level recruit in the house.  Use your heads on this one. 

Nice post.

Honestly, if I were Wojo, I'd listen this offseason. A portion of this fanbase has insanely high expectations that frankly aren't realistic.  Marquette is a nice midwest program with a nice history that invests heavily in its basketball program.  Its not a blue blood, or frankly even close.  Its a top 25-30 program, with a largely entitled fanbase that think it should be perennial top 10 team.  I too wish Wojo has had more success over his tenture, but I am not blind to the trajectory of the program based on hatred.  The grass is not always greener, and I think losing Wojo would be a significant step back for the program for the foreseeable future.  No thanks.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #164 on: February 25, 2020, 11:46:49 AM »

Were you one of the ballpark employees at that Astros game this weekend who took people’s signs away? 

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #165 on: February 25, 2020, 11:51:37 AM »
with a largely entitled fanbase that think it should be perennial top 10 team.

Totally false.  Because we haven’t had any real success under Wojo and fans are getting upset about it, the new narrative being pushed is that we’re “an entitled fan base.”  You’re far from the only one saying it, but that doesn’t make it true.

21rooster

• Starter
« Reply #166 on: February 25, 2020, 11:55:59 AM »
I'm not for censorship, I'm for intelligent thinking.  Regardless of whether you want Wojo here or not, we all (I hope) can agree that we want what is best for the program.  Students booing will not change whether he is here or not, so there is no "positive" impact for those who want him gone.  If he's going to be here, wouldn't we rather that he is here with a strong group of players than can bring MU success?  If we're looking for improvement, let's not cut the legs out from under the coaching staff.   

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #167 on: February 25, 2020, 11:57:15 AM »
Nice post.

Honestly, if I were Wojo, I'd listen this offseason. A portion of this fanbase has insanely high expectations that frankly aren't realistic.  Marquette is a nice midwest program with a nice history that invests heavily in its basketball program.  Its not a blue blood, or frankly even close.  Its a top 25-30 program, with a largely entitled fanbase that think it should be perennial top 10 team. I too wish Wojo has had more success over his tenture, but I am not blind to the trajectory of the program based on hatred.  The grass is not always greener, and I think losing Wojo would be a significant step back for the program for the foreseeable future.  No thanks.

I don't think this is true at all.  Wojo hasnt had a year ending in the top 25 of Ken Pom.  That's the problem.  If you think MU is a top 25-30 program, it is different than the objectives the administration has shared with alums and donors.  Even by that measure, Wojo hasnt achieved those results (again final Ken Pom). 

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #168 on: February 25, 2020, 11:59:31 AM »
Nice post.

Honestly, if I were Wojo, I'd listen this offseason. A portion of this fanbase has insanely high expectations that frankly aren't realistic.  Marquette is a nice midwest program with a nice history that invests heavily in its basketball program.  Its not a blue blood, or frankly even close.  Its a top 25-30 program, with a largely entitled fanbase that think it should be perennial top 10 team.  I too wish Wojo has had more success over his tenture, but I am not blind to the trajectory of the program based on hatred.  The grass is not always greener, and I think losing Wojo would be a significant step back for the program for the foreseeable future.  No thanks.
We'll see how March shakes out, but I don't think Wojo's level of success thus far will be that difficult to replace.  Obviously the next 30 days will tell us a lot.

DienerTime34

• All American
« Reply #169 on: February 25, 2020, 12:02:26 PM »
We'll see how March shakes out, but I don't think Wojo's level of success thus far will be that difficult to replace.  Obviously the next 30 days will tell us a lot.

It depends how you measure success. If it's measured in NCAA tournament wins, you could literally hire anyone in America and they could replicate that number.

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #170 on: February 25, 2020, 12:03:23 PM »
I don't think this is true at all.  Wojo hasnt had a year ending in the top 25 of Ken Pom.  That's the problem.  If you think MU is a top 25-30 program, it is different than the objectives the administration has shared with alums and donors.  Even by that measure, Wojo hasnt achieved those results (again final Ken Pom).
I don't think Pomeroy is a good way to judge the success of a team/program.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #171 on: February 25, 2020, 12:16:44 PM »
Nice post.

This is so out of touch with reality. First, it is a very loyal fan base as seen in attendance. Second, fans pay pro money in a pro arena in the premiere basketball only conference. Third, MU administrations have been very patient in rewarding our coaches. Fourth, Scoop is a small sample of the MU fans and some of the most fanatic.

As the sixth year closes on this regime, this coach is a sub .500 in conference and poor versus Top 25 teams where a 30% or 40% winning percent would be considered very good, and with no NCAA wins. It’s not unreasonable to expect a little higher degree of success. While fans hope for Elite 8, they don’t expect it. But, they do expect that their coach can deliver our fair share of advanced success.

Let’s close out and keep the ball roll going here through the post-season.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #172 on: February 25, 2020, 12:20:58 PM »
I love how this all falls on the fans.  The University has made basketball their identity and incorporates basketball into nearly every touch point with alums and prospective students.  It's not unreasonable then that fans get antsy when this oft celebrated and well funded entity has not been relevant in 6+ years. 

No conference title,
No BET title,
No S16 (heck no NCAA win period)

It's year 7 of that drought. 

How are fans supposed to act when the University puts basketball at the center of everything? 
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #173 on: February 25, 2020, 12:23:27 PM »
I love how this all falls on the fans.  The University has made basketball their identity and incorporates basketball into nearly every touch point with alums and prospective students.  It's not unreasonable then that fans get antsy when this oft celebrated and well funded entity has not been relevant in 6+ years. 

No conference title,
No BET title,
No S16 (heck no NCAA win period)

It's year 7 of that drought. 

How are fans supposed to act when the University puts basketball at the center of everything?

Question why an institution of higher learning uses a sports program to fundraise
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

21rooster

• Starter
« Reply #174 on: February 25, 2020, 12:33:39 PM »
I love how this all falls on the fans. 

This doesn't all fall on the fans.  I'm not saying the fans are responsible for creating an amazing atmosphere despite frustrations - that's your own decision.  Just don't boo with a 16- or 17-year-old kid watching a game, deciding if he wants to come to MU.  In other words, don't undermine the coaches' efforts to get better.  Take a logical approach.  I don't think that's making "this all fall on the fans."