Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 12:10:57 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: If Wojo left the program today...  (Read 36737 times)

1SE

• All American
Re: If Wojo left the program today...
« Reply #100 on: February 24, 2020, 06:28:32 AM »
A scandal.  He won't get canned.

If we lose out (which is higely unlikely but if we lose Wednesday becomes much more possible) he needs to be canned immediately. Consecutive late season collapses can't be offset by the recruiting class. And whi knows, maybe depending on who you pull.in and keep around (stan?) maybe one or more of them stay. I'd be hugely shocked if Wojo as coach was the only (main?) draw for these guys coming to MU.
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #101 on: February 24, 2020, 08:16:17 AM »
Agree and remember the story Kevin O'Neill told at the 100th year reunion?  Kevin had basically rebuilt MU after the Dukiet debacle and MU hadn't gone to an NCAA tournament in maybe 7 or 8 years, but there are the Marquette fans confronting Kevin and his son at McDonald's the morning after a loss and this was the coach who brought Marquette back to high major status.

The only thing that has changed is the internet and now you have the armchair quarterbacks who know everything about coaching and recruiting and aren't shy to tell everyone on a message board.

For every fan that attacked Kevin & Sean at McDonald's, 100 more were buying his dinner at Chancery Mequon or paying for his dry-cleaning.  Blaming fans is lol. 
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #102 on: February 24, 2020, 09:01:04 AM »
Do you think MU's fanbase is the only one like this in the entire country?? You would be 100% wrong...go read other teams message boards...there is a thread typically on the first page about firing the coach. Xavier has one, Butler has one, many schools have one. Just because you are totally 100% fine with mediocre results(and don't give me BS about it being better then mediocre, it's a unnatural carnal knowledgeing fallacy) doesn't mean the rest of us are. Far from it. We witnessed buzz go to two Sweet 16's and an Elite 8 in 5 years..Wojo hasn't done squat in comparison...that is a FACT.

No, we are not exclusive to that.

Now, why is it just a few weeks using your EYE test you said how great a coaching job Butler had done and yet now you say how overrated they are....cat bite your tongue?
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #103 on: February 24, 2020, 09:02:51 AM »
They could make the Sweet 16 this year, but that does NOT make them a Sweet 16 program like I was referencing with Buzz...Buzz had two Sweet 16's and an Elite 8 in back to back to back years.

Buzz is on his second school since leaving...not sure if you caught the news in the papers.  How did he do his last year at MU....you know....pivotal year 6 in the same conference makeup we are in now?
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #104 on: February 24, 2020, 09:04:08 AM »
For every fan that attacked Kevin & Sean at McDonald's, 100 more were buying his dinner at Chancery Mequon or paying for his dry-cleaning.  Blaming fans is lol.

Coaches remember the attackers more than those buying his dinners.....to deny this is silly.  Human nature.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #105 on: February 24, 2020, 09:22:48 AM »
Buzz is on his second school since leaving...not sure if you caught the news in the papers.  How did he do his last year at MU....you know....pivotal year 6 in the same conference makeup we are in now?

I think you are mistaking why people point to year 6 with Wojo. There’s nothing magical about Year 6. If Wojo had the first 5 years Buzz did, no one is saying “we are in Year 6 and this team is not where we’d hoped it would be.”

The deal with Wojo was we were building to something in Year 5 and beyond. With the collapse last year and some of the same issues plaguing this team, I think people are worried that the high point for Wojo is a team on a late swoon and first round exit. Maybe this team figures it out and we go on a fun run. I would be really excited and I do hope Wojo succeeds here. I’m just losing optimism that he will.

We were told to have patience years 1-4 because it was part of a bigger plan. We are almost 6 years in and don’t have a ton to show for it.  We are losing our all time leading scorer and POY candidate, a good starter, and Jayce who has really played well once he got over his injury and comfortable. We will be back to being patient while our Top 10 recruiting class gets experience.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #106 on: February 24, 2020, 09:39:10 AM »
Coaches remember the attackers more than those buying his dinners.....to deny this is silly.  Human nature.

KO was run out on a rail at Knoxville. There are NU fans who still deeply hate him for his disaster there. His homecoming at AZ led to a rocky breakup. And his time at USC was a dumpster fire. Fans everywhere except MU despise him.

And KO had MU hurt feelings from some fan comments in the Mequon Happy Meal line? He should have gone to Arby’s.

https://www.insidenu.com/2013/1/14/3877266/kevin-oneill-fired-usc-northwestern
https://reignoftroy.com/2013/01/14/a-eulogy-for-kevin-oneills-tenure-as-the-usc-trojans-head-coach/

Goose

• All American
« Reply #107 on: February 24, 2020, 10:14:34 AM »
MU fans treated KO better than any other fan base he was exposed to. To even being talked about "how tough" MU fans are cracks me up. Outside of a few idiots (me included) on here, I am not so sure on what heat any MU coach has ever experienced. For $2 million a year I could put up a lot of comments from Goose on Scoop.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #108 on: February 24, 2020, 10:22:37 AM »

Death on call

lurch91

• All American
« Reply #109 on: February 24, 2020, 12:28:07 PM »
I would support the next coach.   Until either the program regressed or the players started misbehaving in the classroom or off the court.

Reading this thread makes me realize, MU fans are to basketball as what ND fans are to football.

lurch91

• All American
« Reply #110 on: February 24, 2020, 12:30:36 PM »
Absolutely laughable

Says the guy that was envious of DePaul's program...... in DECEMBER!!! lol

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #111 on: February 24, 2020, 01:11:23 PM »
Reading this thread makes me realize, MU fans are to basketball as what ND fans are to football.

Marquette won a title in 1977!
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #112 on: February 24, 2020, 02:31:21 PM »
Yeah, making NCAA tournaments are rebuild....Good Lord.

In Buzz’s year 6 we were picked to win the Big East and finished 6th.

You routinely mock preseason predictions. Until they suit your purpose. Hypocrite.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #113 on: February 24, 2020, 02:33:08 PM »
MU fans treated KO better than any other fan base he was exposed to. To even being talked about "how tough" MU fans are cracks me up. Outside of a few idiots (me included) on here, I am not so sure on what heat any MU coach has ever experienced. For $2 million a year I could put up a lot of comments from Goose on Scoop.

Aw, Goose, I'll put up with your comments for half that much!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #114 on: February 24, 2020, 02:55:14 PM »
Aw, Goose, I'll put up with your comments for half that much!

I hope that animal gets ass reamed nightly for the rest of his miserable life

Death on call

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #115 on: February 24, 2020, 02:59:50 PM »
I think you are mistaking why people point to year 6 with Wojo. There’s nothing magical about Year 6. If Wojo had the first 5 years Buzz did, no one is saying “we are in Year 6 and this team is not where we’d hoped it would be.”

The deal with Wojo was we were building to something in Year 5 and beyond. With the collapse last year and some of the same issues plaguing this team, I think people are worried that the high point for Wojo is a team on a late swoon and first round exit. Maybe this team figures it out and we go on a fun run. I would be really excited and I do hope Wojo succeeds here. I’m just losing optimism that he will.

We were told to have patience years 1-4 because it was part of a bigger plan. We are almost 6 years in and don’t have a ton to show for it.  We are losing our all time leading scorer and POY candidate, a good starter, and Jayce who has really played well once he got over his injury and comfortable. We will be back to being patient while our Top 10 recruiting class gets experience.
I think this is the right summation for many.  2018-19 and 2019-20 were the years we were building toward, and the first one fizzled out badly (one win in our last 7 games) and this one is good but not great, which is what we were expecting.  For me, I just want to feel like we have a solid chance to win the Big East, or the Big East Tournament or make a run in the tournament.  The only time I've felt like that in 6 years was for a few weeks in Jan/early Feb last year.  I am still not a fire Wojo guy, but last year's finish and the Hausers' subsequent exit took a lot of enthusiasm out of me.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

Warrior Code

• All American
  • Undefeated since 1960
« Reply #116 on: February 24, 2020, 06:51:35 PM »
I hope that animal gets ass reamed nightly for the rest of his miserable life

Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #117 on: February 24, 2020, 07:04:36 PM »
CTWarrior

I have always said I could stomach a rebuild, even a multi year rebuild. I truthfully lost my patience during the second half of year four. I think you summed it up perfectly for me, I lost my enthusiasm for the first time in years.

IMO there seems to be a lack of urgency and accountability from the brass down to Wojo. As I have mentioned countless times this season, this recruiting class is the tipping point for me. At the moment it is good and hoping for more.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #118 on: February 24, 2020, 08:54:57 PM »
KO was run out on a rail at Knoxville. There are NU fans who still deeply hate him for his disaster there. His homecoming at AZ led to a rocky breakup. And his time at USC was a dumpster fire. Fans everywhere except MU despise him.

And KO had MU hurt feelings from some fan comments in the Mequon Happy Meal line? He should have gone to Arby’s.

https://www.insidenu.com/2013/1/14/3877266/kevin-oneill-fired-usc-northwestern
https://reignoftroy.com/2013/01/14/a-eulogy-for-kevin-oneills-tenure-as-the-usc-trojans-head-coach/

He would have been fired within a few years at MU....thank God cell phones didn’t exist at the time.  Walking HR issue.  He got out of dodge on a high, trashed the administration and the contract and then went on to get run because his ego was unchecked for awhile.

He was (is) a very brash guy. 

Crean should have done the same thing after the Final Four because once the bar is set it is impossible at a place like MU to maintain it year in and year out....Coach Al was right about that.  Then the fans get ornery and ask what have you done lately.  Can’t win....better off like KO recycling a new opportunity.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #119 on: February 24, 2020, 08:56:36 PM »

Treatment isn’t the whole thing...it’s about expectations and the ability at a place like MU to repeat it consistently as the fans demand it.  Set the bar, jump over the bar, set a new bar....not so easy at a place like MU and it wears on them. 

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #120 on: February 24, 2020, 09:04:19 PM »
CTWarrior

I have always said I could stomach a rebuild, even a multi year rebuild. I truthfully lost my patience during the second half of year four. I think you summed it up perfectly for me, I lost my enthusiasm for the first time in years.

IMO there seems to be a lack of urgency and accountability from the brass down to Wojo. As I have mentioned countless times this season, this recruiting class is the tipping point for me. At the moment it is good and hoping for more.
Goose,
Some of the projos are always asking why the nojos dont post after wins. For me I just dont give a damn anymore. I still follow the team and want them to succeed, but I have lost some of the passion, which is sad.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #121 on: February 24, 2020, 09:30:35 PM »
Goose,
Some of the projos are always asking why the nojos dont post after wins. For me I just dont give a damn anymore. I still follow the team and want them to succeed, but I have lost some of the passion, which is sad.

Let me ask you a question, as a fan of MU when players we have recruited bolt because of free agency that some of our fans here want, how do you think fans will feel?  Do you think the passion will also evaporate from us and other teams as players are poached right off the roster?

curbina

• Starter
« Reply #122 on: February 24, 2020, 10:36:10 PM »
Agree.  So what needs to happen for him to get canned?

Lovell will protect Wojo as long as he is president! They both need to go ASAP!
“You will never reach your destination if you stop and throw stones at every dog that barks.”
- Winston S. Churchill

lohaus

• Starter
« Reply #123 on: February 24, 2020, 11:08:52 PM »
Underachieving. On the wrong side of one shining moment. Moving away from successful switchables to more traditional established position players. Recruiting Smurfs as guards and wondering why we can't defend. Lacking in coaching ability. Giving players too much leash on offense.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #124 on: February 24, 2020, 11:16:17 PM »
Let me ask you a question, as a fan of MU when players we have recruited bolt because of free agency that some of our fans here want, how do you think fans will feel?  Do you think the passion will also evaporate from us and other teams as players are poached right off the roster?

Wojo has recruited 4 players who were good enough to draw interest from programs on a higher level than ours. One (Ellenson) only played one year of college so his case is moot. Of the other 3, 2 transferred. Doubt it could get worse.

feedback