[Today at 04:05:24 PM]

Sweet 16 presser by cheebs09
[Today at 04:00:16 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by NickelDimer
[Today at 03:31:19 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Shrink The Student Section  (Read 32554 times)

🏀

• All American
Re: Shrink The Student Section
« Reply #150 on: February 20, 2020, 10:32:19 AM »
Cost might be a reason on your first question. I do not think FF is a morgue compared to the BC.

Cost is likely a reason, there was a solid 30-something crowd in those seats.

If you take away both MCs and Snack Daddy, how does the comparison shake out? Those three are a completely different issue as well.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #151 on: February 20, 2020, 10:35:07 AM »
That Buffalo game was wild. The extended Friday happy hour helped a good deal.

It was also MPS Night for students and their families. Many were very excited to be at FF as they couldn’t afford a Bucks game normally. MU made a lot of MKE fans that night. I think the Nova game was MPS night this season too.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #152 on: February 20, 2020, 11:06:20 AM »
Just curious, has there been a pinpointed reason attendance is down? Is it TV? I feel like basketball is a lot easier to experience in person than football and I also don’t feel like college basketball is very experience to experience.

I think TV is a factor but honestly, I think the bigger factor is that igen just doesn't like sports as much as previous generations. Which is part of a greater trend, I think sports popularity has declined the last 2 or 3 generations.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #153 on: February 20, 2020, 11:12:34 AM »
I think TV is a factor but honestly, I think the bigger factor is that igen just doesn't like sports as much as previous generations. Which is part of a greater trend, I think sports popularity has declined the last 2 or 3 generations.

Right.  Which is why the audiences consuming sports have gotten older. 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

BobWildLoyalist

• Team Captain
« Reply #154 on: February 20, 2020, 11:20:41 AM »

How does the popularity of Barstool Sports and the legalization of sports betting play into your analysis? I think sports are just as popular now as they were with previous generations. The world just spins different now. TV, social media, and rising student debt might play into why students might be not showing up in person. The higher the MU bills, the tougher it is for students to justify costs of going out for a game or slacking on their studies. If you're a student and paying your own way, I believe you're much more focused on classes than basketball. Just a thought....

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #155 on: February 20, 2020, 11:29:22 AM »
How does the popularity of Barstool Sports and the legalization of sports betting play into your analysis? I think sports are just as popular now as they were with previous generations. The world just spins different now. TV, social media, and rising student debt might play into why students might be not showing up in person. The higher the MU bills, the tougher it is for students to justify costs of going out for a game or slacking on their studies. If you're a student and paying your own way, I believe you're much more focused on classes than basketball. Just a thought....

Yeah I think it is generational. 

https://www.si.com/college/2020/01/10/college-football-attendance-decline-ncaa
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

🏀

• All American
« Reply #156 on: February 20, 2020, 12:16:21 PM »

Legalization of sports gambling, in it's current format, is keeping people home as well. Why go to the game if you got money on 2-3 different games?

BobWildLoyalist

• Team Captain
« Reply #157 on: February 20, 2020, 12:23:06 PM »

It's possible tailgates and the football tv experience get in the way. I am not a scientist though.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2020, 12:24:40 PM by BobWildLoyalist »

BobWildLoyalist

• Team Captain
« Reply #158 on: February 20, 2020, 01:47:10 PM »

Again I think the world is just spinning differently these days. Football is a much better product on tv and the popularity of sports betting, esp in football, is likely keeping people home. Why go to a game when you can watch 3-4 games at home and have some side action? I think interest in sports is still high, just in different ways.

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #160 on: February 20, 2020, 05:20:49 PM »
Haven’t read the thread, but just wanted to say I was at the Creighton game and felt the students were into the game and loud. I’m usually hyper-critical of them, but for a Tuesday game against an under-valued (non big-name but really good) team, I felt they showed up and were loud. Three different Creighton possessions, their fake shot-clock countdown actually caused a quick BlueJay shot. It just seemed that every time they would ramp up their noise levels, MU would proceed to not get back on defense and it would result in another quick Creighton bucket.
Zenyatta has a lot....a lot... of ground to make up. She gets there from here she’d be a super horse......what’s this.....Zenyatta hooked to the grandstand side....Zenyatta flying on the outside....this....is...un-belieeeeeevable!...looked impossible at the top of the stretch...

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #161 on: February 20, 2020, 06:55:19 PM »
Please bring that back. I loved it as a kid.

DJ Snackdaddy played the Gary Glitter song the last time I was there.  Glow and I did the proper thing, but someone needs to teach the students.  I am pretty sure none of them were there when it got banned.
Have some patience, FFS.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #162 on: February 20, 2020, 07:41:47 PM »
Three different Creighton possessions, their fake shot-clock countdown actually caused a quick BlueJay shot. It just seemed that every time they would ramp up their noise levels, MU would proceed to not get back on defense and it would result in another quick Creighton bucket.

FWIW, those fake shot clock countdowns were loud enough to be heard on the broadcast and I noticed this as well. I've of course heard them on other broadcasts as well, but many games I don't notice them.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

WarhawkWarrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #163 on: February 20, 2020, 08:05:36 PM »
Good discussion.  I truly believe that we should shrink the student section for next year on a trial basis.  Reduce it from 3000 to 2500.  Sell the 500 to general public at student prices.  2500 students out of 11000 is still remarkable. 

I would much prefer a full house.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #164 on: February 20, 2020, 11:51:24 PM »
Reduce it from 3000 to 2500.  Sell the 500 to general public at student prices.

I like the idea - not sure if the university does, but sounds like something worth trying.  Maybe even just sell 1500 student season tickets, and then put the other 1400 up on a as individual games.  Students get exclusive access 7 days before game day, then the get released to the public 2 days before game day.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #165 on: February 21, 2020, 02:37:55 AM »
I don't want to shrink the students, but I think the bow-tie experiment needs to come to an end.

Separating the students has had a negative effect in general, and I think it's infected the gameday experience overall.

1. You lose the mob mentality of the mass of students.
2. The coordination between the sections is almost impossible and results in a janky echo of cheers.
3. More prime seats gives a reason to show up later for games. Less waiting for students, but there's a lot of excitement, friendships and knowledge cultivated in waiting outside. This may be the most important loss in the Fiserv. It's also always a way for the coach and players to get cheap interaction with the students.
4. Less 'front row, rowdy' students has less effect on the rest of the section. Put them back together for one solid section and it will rub off on the rest.

My proposal is to put 101, 121 & 122 back into the general population. Give 109 & 114 to the students in addition to 110, 111, 112 & 113. Tarp off the top wedges of 114 & 109 to concentrate the students behind the basket for low volume games.

Good discussion.  I truly believe that we should shrink the student section for next year on a trial basis.  Reduce it from 3000 to 2500.  Sell the 500 to general public at student prices.  2500 students out of 11000 is still remarkable. 

I would much prefer a full house.

I like both of these ideas.

I’ve seen lots of people give reasons why students aren’t coming. Studying, less interest in sports, disappointed in the team, etc.  You are just proving my point that there are more seats than demand.
I don’t really care why they aren’t coming.  The fact is they aren’t coming and the seats are going to waste.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2020, 02:46:59 AM by TallTitan34 »

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #166 on: February 21, 2020, 07:47:30 AM »
I like the idea - not sure if the university does, but sounds like something worth trying.  Maybe even just sell 1500 student season tickets, and then put the other 1400 up on a as individual games.  Students get exclusive access 7 days before game day, then the get released to the public 2 days before game day.

I agree conceptually but it doesn't work financially. Student season tickets means MU is getting the revenue for the seats regardless of the students attending the game. They almost don't care if they go, they've already got the cash. However, if they put those seats up on a game by game basis they are almost certainly going to get less total revenue than they would just selling the whole season. The only way to make that up is to charge market pricing on Big East games vs the buy games.

So maybe a slight tweak to your suggestion. Let's say it's $150 for season tickets, limit those to 1500 and convert the other 1500 to some sort of auxiliary student ticket program where they get access to all the season ticket stuff like shirt, etc and three guaranteed games that'll be big (say a non-con against UCLA, National Marquette Day, and Senior Day) and you get that for $50.....but you also get the right to buy tickets at the student ticket price for any game you want assuming the tickets are available. The tickets for the auxiliary are then released to the public 7 days before the game at normal public pricing.

That $100 delta per student can be made up in two or three games of normal public ticket pricing.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #167 on: February 21, 2020, 08:00:39 AM »
Where is this general public bottled up demand for MU tickets? John & Mary Milwaukee aren't stormin' the Fiserv doors to bust in. Don't see it, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #168 on: February 21, 2020, 08:08:11 AM »
Where is this general public bottled up demand for MU tickets? John & Mary Milwaukee aren't stormin' the Fiserv doors to bust in. Don't see it, hey?

Yeah, all this bitching about the student section is ridiculous.  It's not like they are taking tickets away from the general public. 

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #169 on: February 21, 2020, 08:15:40 AM »
Yep, that's what I've been saying. Not sure why some want to shrink a section that 2900 seats are sold for the whole season at $150 before the month of November. The public had many others seats to buy in 114, 109, 102 and 103, if they wanted to be in the lower bowl.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #170 on: February 21, 2020, 08:59:43 AM »

Yep. This pesky little fact kind of undermines Titan's entire argument.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #171 on: February 21, 2020, 09:25:07 AM »

I don't know the specific numbers, but Purdue limits its actual "guaranteed" season tickets for MBB. They they have a program that for about $100, you get full access to all sports* on campus -- except MBB (although you do get some preferred access...more on that in a second). Then, for an additional amount -- I think it's $15 -- you can join the Paint Crew and get guaranteed tickets to all MBB games (and get in early so you get the good seats -- bow tie seating, btw). Even if you don't join the Paint Crew, you still get free tickets to MBB but it's done on a lottery system if demand outpaces supply. The Paint Crew tickets for next season sold out within a couple hours two weeks ago. My daughter had no idea they would sell out that fast, so she didn't get them. But she really hasn't had too much difficulty getting tickets to games this season. They can also pay a little extra -- I think it's $10 -- to get into football games early for better seats, but they're guaranteed football tickets to every game with the initial $100 price so she didn't do that either. She enjoys the FB games, but not enough that she wants to sit in the stadium for an extra hour just to get better seats.

And yes, I understand that a school with 30,000 students and an on-campus arena is going to do things differently than MU. I just saw the discussion on limiting tickets, and thought others might be interested. Then again...they might not.

*The only sports that really matter are MBB, FB, WBB and VB, since all others are free anyway.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #172 on: February 21, 2020, 09:32:43 AM »
FWIW, those fake shot clock countdowns were loud enough to be heard on the broadcast and I noticed this as well. I've of course heard them on other broadcasts as well, but many games I don't notice them.

I was hoping they were going to do one that actually matched up with the time to really screw with Creighton’s heads. That really worked for MU and at least helped keep Creighton from getting into a rhythm.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #173 on: February 21, 2020, 09:52:27 AM »
Yep. This pesky little fact kind of undermines Titan's entire argument.

I don’t think under any scenario other than free giveaways (an often used tactic under the Crean regime to stuff the rafters) could the MU Ticket Office not make a business case where converting and selling 500 close baseline student tickets wouldn’t be neutral positive. That’s $75,000 only to replace for very close seats. MU sold out the “Be a Student” packs at $75 if they sold 1000 packs (which was an increase from $50) for five games which already covers that, for instance.

But, that doesn’t really solve the weekday demand problem as MU seems to have no problem selling out the weekend games, especially with an attractive and popular pack plan. No question, some of the uppers will return to the lower bowl to fill it out...and it’s clear alumni with STHs show at a higher rate than students during the weekday. My problem with converting those seats is that it penalizes the students who do loyally show, not those disguised as a tarp.

The FF 2900 is a reduction from around 4000 @ the BC already, iirc. I am in favor of tossing the bow tie and unifying the students, not the reduction. There is something missing vibe-wise currently.

Miss Katie’s

• All American
« Reply #174 on: February 21, 2020, 10:15:22 AM »

+1