[Today at 11:26:20 AM]

NC State by MUMountin
[Today at 11:25:44 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 11:15:58 AM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[Today at 10:50:38 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: 3 game conference losing streak  (Read 7266 times)

PointWarrior

• All American
Re: 3 game conference losing streak
« Reply #50 on: February 23, 2020, 08:29:35 PM »
Villanova's win percentage never fell below 81% after 15:45 for the entire game game, even when MU had a chance to tie it.  By the way - they never had a shot to tie as they never got a 3pt shot off.  and then missed free throws...

Keep telling yourself they played well.  I will give you they had an improbable 7 pt rally down 10 with 2 mins to go and .  Still lost, still played like crap for 2/3 the game. 

And have it your way, they played just fine at Villanova. They still stunk it up next two - trending the wrong way...  smells like the 2019 collapse...

It’s ok to just admit you were wrong.  Your words don’t match with reality. 

So Hall of Fame coach Wright took foot off the gas so they could possibly be tied at the end.

The stupidity of our fans is epic...don’t let anyone tell you differently.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #51 on: February 23, 2020, 08:51:06 PM »
Villanova's win percentage never fell below 81% after 15:45 for the entire game game, even when MU had a chance to tie it.  By the way - they never had a shot to tie as they never got a 3pt shot off.  and then missed free throws...

Keep telling yourself they played well.  I will give you they had an improbable 7 pt rally down 10 with 2 mins to go and .  Still lost, still played like crap for 2/3 the game. 

And have it your way, they played just fine at Villanova. They still stunk it up next two - trending the wrong way...  smells like the 2019 collapse...

You said "were the teams essentially out of the game by the 7 minute mark for all three games"   Keep digging the hole.  The game was a 3 point game with 9 seconds left and we had the ball.  That's not "out of the game"....sorry....on no planet is that "out of the game".

I didn't say we played just fine, but we played a hell of a lot better at Nova than Nova played at MU.  But of course you think it's a 2019 collapse....of course you do.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #52 on: February 23, 2020, 09:02:38 PM »
The results just arent there for a program that spends as much as Marquette does. Money does not = success but it sure as heck should not equal mediocrity.

We aren't mediocre either.  A mediocre program doesn't make the NCAA tournament 3 of 4 years.  So why are we changing definitions of words to fit a criteria that doesn't exist?  And have you ever thought based on where MU is that the money spent is needed JUST to compete?  I've also never understood this argument about money spent because it is so skewed in the accounting treatment.  There are schools that spend "less" than us on paper, but not in reality because the football program or other sports are taking on the costs.  Or because we have to pay rent and other schools don't for their arena, the numbers are not appropriately comparable. 
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #53 on: February 24, 2020, 03:39:18 PM »
I would also like to add that the following coaches have all suffered three game losing streaks in their career:

John Wooden
Coach K
Jay Wright
Bill Self
Rick Pitino
Roy Williams
Greg McDermott
Kevin Willard
Brent Williams
Ben Howland
Shaka Smart
...and...wait for it...
Al McGuire

Need I go on?

If you repeatedly flip a coin three times in a row, believe it or not, sometimes it will come up "tails" three consecutive times (especially if, for two of those flips, your thumb is wearing a mask).

Those guys occasionally finished in the top 25 and won some tournament games, too, however.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #54 on: February 24, 2020, 04:00:51 PM »
Those guys occasionally finished in the top 25 and won some tournament games, too, however.

Yes, and some of them took many years to do both