[Today at 09:22:06 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by avid1010
[Today at 09:16:40 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Spotcheck Billy
[Today at 07:22:54 AM]

Dallas bars tonite by Marquette Gyros
[Today at 06:59:41 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Shrink The Student Section  (Read 32584 times)

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
Re: Shrink The Student Section
« Reply #125 on: February 20, 2020, 08:30:50 AM »
Just curious, has there been a pinpointed reason attendance is down? Is it TV? I feel like basketball is a lot easier to experience in person than football and I also don’t feel like college basketball is very experience to experience.

I'm pretty certain the reason for attendance decreasing in college basketball in general is television.  But I think other factors are in play, such as conference changes and the aging popluation of college basketball fans.  This is a couple of years old but...

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/the-sports-with-the-oldest-and-youngest-tv-audiences-2017-06-30

“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #126 on: February 20, 2020, 08:35:01 AM »
Wow. Winner winner, chicken dinner!  ;)

You were off 49  ;D

🏀

• All American
« Reply #127 on: February 20, 2020, 08:50:51 AM »
I don't want to shrink the students, but I think the bow-tie experiment needs to come to an end.

Separating the students has had a negative effect in general, and I think it's infected the gameday experience overall.

1. You lose the mob mentality of the mass of students.
2. The coordination between the sections is almost impossible and results in a janky echo of cheers.
3. More prime seats gives a reason to show up later for games. Less waiting for students, but there's a lot of excitement, friendships and knowledge cultivated in waiting outside. This may be the most important loss in the Fiserv. It's also always a way for the coach and players to get cheap interaction with the students.
4. Less 'front row, rowdy' students has less effect on the rest of the section. Put them back together for one solid section and it will rub off on the rest.

My proposal is to put 101, 121 & 122 back into the general population. Give 109 & 114 to the students in addition to 110, 111, 112 & 113. Tarp off the top wedges of 114 & 109 to concentrate the students behind the basket for low volume games.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #128 on: February 20, 2020, 09:09:00 AM »
Just quit introducing them as the “best student section in the country.” Maybe say, “and the students who decided to show up today. “

Not even from a bitter sweatervest perspective of "back in my day" but I would just love to hear someone say this. It would add comic relief.

That said, at least we aren't texas.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #129 on: February 20, 2020, 09:19:03 AM »
I don't want to shrink the students, but I think the bow-tie experiment needs to come to an end.

Separating the students has had a negative effect in general, and I think it's infected the gameday experience overall.

2. The coordination between the sections is almost impossible and results in a janky echo of cheers.
3. More prime seats gives a reason to show up later for games. Less waiting for students, but there's a lot of excitement, friendships and knowledge cultivated in waiting outside. This may be the most important loss in the Fiserv. It's also always a way for the coach and players to get cheap interaction with the students.
4. Less 'front row, rowdy' students has less effect on the rest of the section. Put them back together for one solid section and it will rub off on the rest.

My proposal is to put 101, 121 & 122 back into the general population. Give 109 & 114 to the students in addition to 110, 111, 112 & 113. Tarp off the top wedges of 114 & 109 to concentrate the students behind the basket for low volume games.

I like this idea a lot. And you're 100% right about the experience waiting for the seats... now almost 15 years later I'm still friends with people I met in line. And a few of them I still have season tickets with.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #130 on: February 20, 2020, 09:22:43 AM »
Not even from a bitter sweatervest perspective of "back in my day" but I would just love to hear someone say this. It would add comic relief.

That said, at least we aren't texas.
As long as those darn kids are staying off my lawn.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #131 on: February 20, 2020, 09:33:34 AM »
I like this idea a lot. And you're 100% right about the experience waiting for the seats... now almost 15 years later I'm still friends with people I met in line. And a few of them I still have season tickets with.

Yeah the memory of drinking four lokos at 4am in line for the WI and ND games, and taking turns making George Webb's runs are some of my favorites.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #132 on: February 20, 2020, 09:37:18 AM »
Just curious, has there been a pinpointed reason attendance is down? Is it TV? I feel like basketball is a lot easier to experience in person than football and I also don’t feel like college basketball is very experience to experience.

In MU's case attendance is up from last year. Last year, was up from year's past.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #133 on: February 20, 2020, 09:43:32 AM »

<that moment when Millennials become Vesties >  ;D

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #134 on: February 20, 2020, 09:44:44 AM »

Problem with that is you are giving two sections that has solid chuck for season tickets to just go to the students. While 101 & 102 would not have that same demand or you can't charge that high of cost.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #135 on: February 20, 2020, 09:47:12 AM »
TV definitely plays a factor. Not only are affordable 60" HD TVs a factor,  there was no Fox Sports 1 or Fox Sports 2 ten years ago. There was ESPN and ESPN2. Every MU game being on TV is a relatively recent phenomenon.

That said, as I have said, this attendance is nothing new. We haven't been selling out, or packing student sections, on weeknight games since the Al years, and that was in a much smaller arena.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #136 on: February 20, 2020, 09:55:39 AM »
Problem with that is you are giving two sections that has solid chuck for season tickets to just go to the students. While 101 & 102 would not have that same demand or you can't charge that high of cost.

Were the end court sections not popular in the BC? I had seasons there, and it was frequently the same people year after year. Now I see them all scattered in the upper deck.

Every change is a problem, I think the morgue environment at the Fiserv is a bigger problem.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #137 on: February 20, 2020, 10:03:19 AM »
Were the end court sections not popular in the BC? I had seasons there, and it was frequently the same people year after year. Now I see them all scattered in the upper deck.

Every change is a problem, I think the morgue environment at the Fiserv is a bigger problem.

Is it really any different than the BC was?  It doesn't seem like it to me. 

And I think the idea that college basketball arenas are always full and loud just isn't accurate.  Been to the Kohl Center lately?  It's just as morgue-like as Fiserv.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

🏀

• All American
« Reply #138 on: February 20, 2020, 10:04:42 AM »

And I think the idea that college basketball arenas are always full and loud just isn't accurate.  Been to the Kohl Center lately?  It's just as morgue-like as Fiserv.

Yes, I do. I think there's a large difference and the bowtie is part of the issue.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #139 on: February 20, 2020, 10:06:10 AM »

BC was louder. The difference is bigger for Bucks games than MU, but it is noticeable.

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #140 on: February 20, 2020, 10:06:56 AM »
Only the front half of 109 and 114 are sold with season tickets.  Almost all of those people would fit in 122, which I would think is a more desirable ticket.

I like the same side idea and mentioned it earlier.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #141 on: February 20, 2020, 10:08:03 AM »

Cost might be a reason on your first question. I do not think FF is a morgue compared to the BC.
-Bill Walton

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #142 on: February 20, 2020, 10:11:22 AM »
anyone notice that some of the student sections at other places are some of the bet seats in the house?  MSU-the first ? rows mid-court?  cameron crazies for example.  we stuff ours off to the side in the zones. 
don't...don't don't don't don't

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #143 on: February 20, 2020, 10:13:45 AM »
Only the front half of 109 and 114 are sold with season tickets.  Almost all of those people would fit in 122, which I would think is a more desirable ticket.

I like the same side idea and mentioned it earlier.

109 & 114 is an angle sections. 122 is behind a basket. Way worse of a seat. I sat in 114 last year. This year, I'm in 103. You don't want to give up that money of STH for sales if you are Marquette.

114 is a huge section. About 33 rows. Yes, many seats are left in both 114 & 109, yet they are always at a high cost on the weekends, which get sold.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2020, 10:15:22 AM by Mr. Nielsen »
-Bill Walton

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #144 on: February 20, 2020, 10:15:00 AM »
anyone notice that some of the student sections at other places are some of the bet seats in the house?  MSU-the first ? rows mid-court?  cameron crazies for example.  we stuff ours off to the side in the zones. 

Those two are definitely exceptions and have arenas built for that purpose.  The vast, vast majority of P6 schools do what we do.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #145 on: February 20, 2020, 10:17:12 AM »

We also don't have 72,000 seat Spartan Stadium which the $$$ comes.
-Bill Walton

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #146 on: February 20, 2020, 10:22:13 AM »
109 & 114 is an angle sections. 122 is behind a basket. Way worse of a seat. I sat in 114 last year. This year, I'm in 103. You don't want to give up that money of STH for sales if you are Marquette.

114 is a huge section. About 33 rows. Yes, many seats are left in both 114 & 109, yet they are always at a high cost on the weekends, which get sold.

I disagree they'd be giving up money.  The Bucks sell 122 for more than 109 & 114.  These are their pricing tiers for 10-game packs.
https://www.nba.com/resources/static/team/v2/bucks/10-Game_Plans_map-Horizontal-190828.jpg

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #147 on: February 20, 2020, 10:26:30 AM »

While there are pros and cons with the bow tie (and I agree with you), there has been a big effort on orchestrated entertainment. Most everything is produced so people sit on their hands and watch. While that element is much improved, the craziness has been toned down (as noted, on purpose in many cases).

As to attendance, 14,329 paid or 82.6% of capacity of 17,341. From Nielsen, we know 1900/2900 students showed, or 65.5%. Not sure of the “showed” count overall, but I would guess it was well north of 65.5% as it was pretty filled out. With 2:00 minutes to go, FF was emptied out and Wojo was sitting.  Many things just aren’t clicking...while overall many things are at FF in terms of fan experience to give credit.  I know, we are spoiled.

As I said, the liveliest crowds at FF so far have been two break games and the UW-M game where alums have filled in a lot more seats. Weird vibe for this Vestie to see the alums leading the energy (and a anti-Wojo student sentiment). I actually heard complaints that Jump Around guy was unable to attend the NMD game and they had to put clips of him on the screen to get the place going.  Wtf? Rick is 70...he should charge a licensing fee.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #148 on: February 20, 2020, 10:26:45 AM »
I disagree they'd be giving up money.  The Bucks sell 122 for more than 109 & 114.  These are their pricing tiers for 10-game packs.
https://www.nba.com/resources/static/team/v2/bucks/10-Game_Plans_map-Horizontal-190828.jpg

Ya, good point/find!
-Bill Walton

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #149 on: February 20, 2020, 10:31:26 AM »
As I said, the liveliest crowds at FF so far have been two break games and the UW-M game where alums have filled in a lot more seats. Weird vibe for this Vestie to see the alums leading the energy (and a anti-Wojo student sentiment).

That Buffalo game was wild. The extended Friday happy hour helped a good deal.

feedback