Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Jamal Cain 👍🏼  (Read 28414 times)

Elonsmusk

• All American
Jamal Cain 👍🏼
« on: February 12, 2020, 10:28:34 PM »
Special shout out to Jamal Cain. The kid has displayed a great attitude throughout his time at MU, despite some tough stretches.

He plays hard, seems to take leadership in on-court huddles, and has remained positive.

Jamal has a ton of potential and I would love to see him rolled out 30 minutes a night through thick and thin. Stick with that kid...extend the leash.  He’s a winner.

wadesworld

• All American
Re: Jamal Cain 👍🏼
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2020, 10:31:17 PM »
Special shout out to Jamal Cain. The kid has displayed a great attitude throughout his time at MU, despite some tough stretches.

He plays hard, seems to take leadership in on-court huddles, and has remained positive.

Jamal has a ton of potential and I would love to see him rolled out 30 minutes a night through thick and thin. Stick with that kid...extend the leash.  He’s a winner.

He played well tonight.

He’s shown nothing in nearly 3 years to suggest he deserves 30 minutes per night.

Just another John Dawson for Ners.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2020, 10:32:18 PM »
And holy crap he just missed that dunk from 10+ feet out.

I didn’t think he was going to even get close but he did.

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2020, 10:36:10 PM »
30 minutes per game? No way. That's just not even close to right. He plays 20 per game as it is and does very little with that time. He's had a few nice moments, but overall, he's not consistent enough to warrant more playing time.

Similar to Bailey, scoopers fall in love with one good game and tend to forget about the goose-eggs, of which both have several. Potential is nice to have, but it's not worth taking minutes away from guys who actually produce on a regular basis.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2020, 10:36:53 PM »
Makes alot of really dumb mistakes, makes really poor passes and i dont believe he possesses a great bb IQ, but boy oh boy does he compete. If BB competed like jamal he could be all world.  Wojo praised jamal about how hard he played n started the comeback.  Said if the starters played that hard they wouldnt have been down 18
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2020, 10:43:22 PM »
He played well tonight.

He’s shown nothing in nearly 3 years to suggest he deserves 30 minutes per night.

Just another John Dawson for Ners.

He shot 48% from 3 as a freshman. Bailey came in and started over him as a sophomore, and Jamal’s playing time was inconsistent AF last year and for the most part this year too.

Jamal reminds me of a harder working JJJ - a player that is uber talented, but has to play nearly perfect for Wojo to stick with him.

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2020, 10:47:31 PM »
He shot 48% from 3 as a freshman. Bailey came in and started over him as a sophomore, and Jamal’s playing time was inconsistent AF last year and for the most part this year too.

Jamal reminds me of a harder working JJJ - a player that is uber talented, but has to play nearly perfect for Wojo to stick with him.

He went what, 15 for 31 as a freshman? And don't forget that he shot something close to 25% last year from both 3 and FT. Not exactly the next Novak.

At the end of the day, he's a good athlete, but he's too inconsistent and makes too many mistakes to be a good high level guy. I like the kid, but we've seen enough of him to get a pretty good feel for his game.

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2020, 10:51:11 PM »
30 minutes per game? No way. That's just not even close to right. He plays 20 per game as it is and does very little with that time. He's had a few nice moments, but overall, he's not consistent enough to warrant more playing time.

Similar to Bailey, scoopers fall in love with one good game and tend to forget about the goose-eggs, of which both have several. Potential is nice to have, but it's not worth taking minutes away from guys who actually produce on a regular basis.

Except nobody on this team outside of Markus and Sacar (maybe Koby) produce on a regular basis.

Jamal’s played 44% of minutes. He ranges from 5 minutes to 34 minutes in a game. Multiple games of less than 10 minutes. Hard to get anything done in a few stints of 3 minutes.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2020, 10:52:02 PM »
I like him, but still too lose with the ball.  Had what seemed a couple of unforced turnovers....but hit key three’s and rebounds.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2020, 10:57:47 PM »
I like him, but still too lose with the ball.  Had what seemed a couple of unforced turnovers....but hit key three’s and rebounds.

You are right - his handle is his weakness, but his D, rebounding and pretty good 3 point shooting are major assets. Don’t think anyone disagrees he’s the best athlete on the team - and in my view peak athleticism (with some shooting skill) ultimately wins.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2020, 11:00:27 PM »
You are right - his handle is his weakness, but his D, rebounding and pretty good 3 point shooting are major assets. Don’t think anyone disagrees he’s the best athlete on the team - and in my view peak athleticism (with some shooting skill) ultimately wins.

I'm good with him getting more minutes. He's improved on defense enough where he's a plus player at both ends. The mistakes he makes are really bad, though.

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2020, 11:02:32 PM »
I love Jamal. He can truly jump out of the gym.
He sometimes (like on the would-be dunk) gets carried away.
It is fun to see Greg & Jamal work together, though.

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2020, 11:13:00 PM »
I'm good with him getting more minutes. He's improved on defense enough where he's a plus player at both ends. The mistakes he makes are really bad, though.

Ha. I agree. There are some bad mistakes, but I do feel some of those would subside if he wasn’t quite so tight/fearful of the hook.

Glad to hear Wojo credited him in post game. Jamal’s D has been really good.

I’d actually like to see Jamal redshirt after this season. Unconventional decision but..he’s very young for his class, AND think next year is going to be a down year. Let him get stronger, finish out with Greg...and they possibly make some noise as seniors together with sophomores Dawson, Lewis, Oso.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2020, 11:28:57 PM »
We get it. Find yourself a bench player who had a nice game. Or a nice half. Or heck, a nice pass! Claim Wojo sucks, is messing with his mind, should be giving him “max minutes,” and it’s not the kid’s fault that he shows up once a season because after all if Wojo gave him 40 minutes a game he’d suddenly know how to dribble and pass the ball and MJ would be looking up at the kid in no time.

We know how this goes. It’s insanely irrational, but it’s what you do. You’ll argue it until the kid is 8 years gone, having done nothing more than be the backup he was for a number of different coaches. But it’s all because that dang Wojo guy couldn’t find him the 40 minutes he deserved because he made under 1/2 of a 3 pointer per game as a freshman.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2020, 11:34:39 PM »
Ha. I agree. There are some bad mistakes, but I do feel some of those would subside if he wasn’t quite so tight/fearful of the hook.

Glad to hear Wojo credited him in post game. Jamal’s D has been really good.

I’d actually like to see Jamal redshirt after this season. Unconventional decision but..he’s very young for his class, AND think next year is going to be a down year. Let him get stronger, finish out with Greg...and they possibly make some noise as seniors together with sophomores Dawson, Lewis, Oso.

Wrong!!!
Jamals only chance to get minutes over the 3 incoming forwards is next year when he is a senior n they are Freshman.  If he redshirts n they get a year of weights n college ball under their belts he may never play
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2020, 11:59:54 PM »
We get it. Find yourself a bench player who had a nice game. Or a nice half. Or heck, a nice pass! Claim Wojo sucks, is messing with his mind, should be giving him “max minutes,” and it’s not the kid’s fault that he shows up once a season because after all if Wojo gave him 40 minutes a game he’d suddenly know how to dribble and pass the ball and MJ would be looking up at the kid in no time.

We know how this goes. It’s insanely irrational, but it’s what you do. You’ll argue it until the kid is 8 years gone, having done nothing more than be the backup he was for a number of different coaches. But it’s all because that dang Wojo guy couldn’t find him the 40 minutes he deserved because he made under 1/2 of a 3 pointer per game as a freshman.

It would be nice if our head coach knew who his most talented players were. You wouldn’t think it would be a problem, but, for Wojo - it has been.

You’d also think he’d realize as a former player that you can’t yank guys in and out of games/lineup and expect any kind of consistent performance.

Let’s see:

Derrick Wilson 33 minutes per game with Matt Carlino, Duane Wilson and John Dawson on the roster. Genius.

Starting Sandy Cohen over Deonte Burton and playing Deonte an average of 16 minutes coming off his Big East All Freshman year.   Brilliant!

Trying to shove Haanif Cheatham into a PG role with a pure point Traci Carter on the roster.  Shrewd!

Playing JJJ 56 and 60% of available minutes as a junior and senior.  Smart!

And here we are 5.5 years later still searching for our first NCAA win under your hero...while having an all-time great on the roster these past 4 seasons.

So yea, pardon me for getting irrationally frustrated with how he coaches.

« Last Edit: February 13, 2020, 09:16:39 AM by Elonsmusk »

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2020, 12:06:44 AM »
It would be nice if our head coach had a knew who his most talented players were. You wouldn’t think it would be a problem, but, for Wojo - it has been.

You’d also think he’d realize as a former player that you can’t yank guys in and out of games/lineup and expect any kind of consistent performance.

Let’s see:

Derrick Wilson 33 minutes per game with Matt Carlino, Duane Wilson and John Dawson on the roster. Genius.

Starting Sandy Cohen over Deonte Burton and playing Deonte an average of 16 minutes coming off his Big East All Freshman year.   Brilliant!

Trying to shove Haanif Cheatham into a PG role with a pure point Traci Carter on the roster.  Shrewd!

And here we are 5.5 years later still searching for our first NCAA win under your hero...while having an all-time great on the roster these past 4 seasons.

You got the irrational part correct at least.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2020, 12:07:11 AM »
It would be nice if our head coach had a knew who his most talented players were. You wouldn’t think it would be a problem, but, for Wojo - it has been.

Let’s see:

I think Carlino took enough shots that year lol. Cheatham played at 2 high majors whereas Carter immediately went to a low major. I don’t think the decision to play “Haney” can be used as evidence against Wojos ability to evaluate talent.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2020, 12:19:41 AM »
I think Carlino took enough shots that year lol. Cheatham played at 2 high majors whereas Carter immediately went to a low major. I don’t think the decision to play “Haney” can be used as evidence against Wojos ability to evaluate talent.

Cheatham went from MU to Florida Gulf Coast U. Carter went from MU to LaSalle U. FGCU is a “high” and LaSalle is a “low”?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2020, 05:21:47 AM »
Joey started over Cain and Bailey last year.  Bailey is  bigger, a better defender, a better ball handler, and more consistent.   Jamal had a great second half last night.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2020, 06:34:51 AM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2020, 06:37:44 AM »
Cheatham went from MU to Florida Gulf Coast U. Carter went from MU to LaSalle U. FGCU is a “high” and LaSalle is a “low”?

Cheatham had another stop.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2020, 06:41:43 AM »
Cheatham had another stop.

No sh!t. But Roads said Cheatham played at TWO high majors after leaving Marquette.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2020, 06:47:51 AM »
No sh!t. But Roads said Cheatham played at TWO high majors after leaving Marquette.
He’s playing this year you know

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2020, 06:48:37 AM »
He’s playing this year you know

Unless he's playing for Nebraska and another school, that's still only one high major.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2020, 06:49:23 AM »
Unless he's playing for Nebraska and another school, that's still only one high major.
Lol. Need more coffee!

feedback