collapse

* Recent Posts

2024 Transfer Portal by Jay Bee
[Today at 02:41:27 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 02:07:56 PM]

Banquet by tower912
[Today at 01:37:41 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 12:00:22 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[April 27, 2024, 12:29:11 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Golf 2020  (Read 36908 times)

🏀

• All American
Re: Golf 2020
« Reply #150 on: June 29, 2020, 02:40:37 PM »
I don't want to sound alarmist, as I would hate to drag politics, the economy, the impact on MU into this topic and offend some delicate sensibilities, but I think this might be a warning bell across the entire athletic world.    There IS golf right now.   One of the few sports.   FOX is getting out.     

I’m thinking FOX doesn’t want to give up a NFL Sunday for the US Open sadly.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #151 on: June 29, 2020, 03:17:44 PM »
Any reasonably priced nice courses in the Milwaukee area? I know Washington County has a good Twilight rate.

ironwood and fairways of woodside both in sussex are decent, reasonable priced courses

nagawaukee

don't...don't don't don't don't

tower912

• All American
« Reply #152 on: June 30, 2020, 12:22:47 PM »
Broke par this morning.   Really, nothing else matters.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #153 on: June 30, 2020, 01:16:16 PM »

What sort of no-touch rules and regulations are the local mini golf courses putting in these days?  ;D

tower912

• All American
« Reply #154 on: June 30, 2020, 01:50:51 PM »
Flags in.    Rakes are back in the bunkers.    No raised cups.    At this particular course, the new bottom of the cup is about an inch below ground.     With the current lack of rain, the course was playing firm and fast with awesome greens. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

tower912

• All American
« Reply #155 on: June 30, 2020, 03:34:13 PM »
I am finding it exceedingly difficult to get tee times.     Everywhere I do get on, I ask and they say that they are getting an insane amount of play.     Is this unique to West Michigan, or are other finding the same in their areas?

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #156 on: June 30, 2020, 03:53:01 PM »
Flags in.    Rakes are back in the bunkers.    No raised cups.    At this particular course, the new bottom of the cup is about an inch below ground.     With the current lack of rain, the course was playing firm and fast with awesome greens.

Totally missed my joke haha.

I am finding it exceedingly difficult to get tee times.     Everywhere I do get on, I ask and they say that they are getting an insane amount of play.     Is this unique to West Michigan, or are other finding the same in their areas?

I tried to play the Friday before last with my Dad and it was pretty tough to find some afternoon slots

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #157 on: June 30, 2020, 04:23:23 PM »
Tee times have been tough unless you book at least a week out here in the MKE area
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

tower912

• All American
« Reply #158 on: June 30, 2020, 04:28:27 PM »
Totally missed my joke haha.

I read 'mini' as 'muni'.     Oops

🏀

• All American
« Reply #159 on: June 30, 2020, 08:37:10 PM »
Tee times are really, really tough.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #160 on: July 01, 2020, 03:15:07 AM »
Tower

Well done! All time low?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #161 on: July 01, 2020, 05:57:44 AM »
No.   I will do it every couple of years.   Lowest ever was a 66 on a 6000 yard cupcake.   Lowest on a good course was a 68 back in 2006.   Not that I obsess or anything.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #162 on: July 03, 2020, 06:55:21 PM »
Got a few wedges for the first time in my life today.

Funnily enough, my irons have rather large cavity backs (which I still love) but when I tried CB wedges I was yanking everything left.

Tried some Mizunos, which have a reputation for being the most bladed irons on the market, hit them perfectly with more spin then I ever saw in my life.

Go figure.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #163 on: July 06, 2020, 09:07:21 AM »
Tee times have been tough unless you book at least a week out here in the MKE area

Talked with the pro at a county course this weekend, and he said that the county courses are doing a record number of rounds every week.

I'm also realizing that my only prayer of a 4 hour or less round is playing before 7:00 AM.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #164 on: July 06, 2020, 09:18:15 AM »
Same here.  Courses are packed and fast play is a long ago fond memory.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #165 on: July 06, 2020, 10:03:04 AM »

Played on Friday with my father. Got another father son twosome who were solid players. So we played at a good pace. Group in front of us was a bunch of middle aged guys hacking around, drinking, playing the exact opposite of ready golf. You would get to your approach shot, see an empty green and be pleasantly surprised, only to realize they weren’t even at the green yet. Then none of them were ready to putt in turn, etc... we were waiting on almost every shot for a good bit.

We make the turn, realize they went into the clubhouse for libations, so the other twosome smartly zipped right to the 10th tee and we tee off to get ahead of them. Wouldn’t you know, they were clearly peeved so nearly every hole there’s the pop of a drive landing behind us as the cart starts to move or an approach whizzing in as your back foot is about to leave the green in stride. Absolute douche bags

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #166 on: July 06, 2020, 10:27:27 AM »
It drives me crazy when people take beginners to long/difficult courses. And I'm generalizing, but most of the time it's guys out with their girlfriends/wives. Happened to me yesterday on a course that plays almost 7,000 from the tips. She hit from the yellows, but it still took forever.

There are a lot of short courses to teach on. Go there.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #167 on: July 06, 2020, 01:08:07 PM »
Got cursed out in two consecutive rounds.  Both times there were 1-2 holes open in front of the foursome in front of me.   Both times the aforementioned groups were playing 5 hour social drinking rounds.   Both times they refused to let us play through.   Both times they cursed at me, once in front of my 13 year old son.   One offered to fight me, in front of my son.   The other offered to play a single ball against our foursome for $500 over 9 holes.   I had watched him for 4 hours at this point and knew he couldn't break 90. 

But at least they are getting outside.

I have golfed over 40 years without ever having a confrontation and then have two in consecutive rounds.   It must be me.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2020, 01:09:41 PM by tower912 »

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #168 on: July 06, 2020, 01:22:21 PM »
Got cursed out in two consecutive rounds.  Both times there were 1-2 holes open in front of the foursome in front of me.   Both times the aforementioned groups were playing 5 hour social drinking rounds.   Both times they refused to let us play through.   Both times they cursed at me, once in front of my 13 year old son.   One offered to fight me, in front of my son.   The other offered to play a single ball against our foursome for $500 over 9 holes.   I had watched him for 4 hours at this point and knew he couldn't break 90. 

Man. I'm sorry you had to deal with that. I went out Friday as a single and nobody had any objection to me playing through. Four groups let me through, all of them offered before I could ask.

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #169 on: July 06, 2020, 02:02:32 PM »
In Illinois during phase 3 rounds were mandated to be 10 minutes apart. That was great with no waiting on the first tee and rarely during the round. Apparently phase 4 got rid of that so our course went back to 8 minute intervals. Sure enough 3 foursomes waiting to tee off when we arrived. Teed off over 20 minutes from set tee time. It was no fun waiting around on the course in this heat.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #170 on: July 08, 2020, 11:20:46 AM »
Ryder Cup moved to 2021.

By then, the group in front of me may have finished their round.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #171 on: July 08, 2020, 11:01:21 PM »

Feel your pain, Tower. I live on a golf course in Naples, Fl that allows reciprocal play on a limited basis in the off season (May through October). We tee off before the recips and are playing (foursomes) rounds in 3 hours or less.

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #172 on: July 09, 2020, 12:40:47 AM »

Amen.
Zenyatta has a lot....a lot... of ground to make up. She gets there from here she’d be a super horse......what’s this.....Zenyatta hooked to the grandstand side....Zenyatta flying on the outside....this....is...un-belieeeeeevable!...looked impossible at the top of the stretch...

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #173 on: July 09, 2020, 12:45:47 AM »

Mainly came to CO for the scenic hiking and biking, but tried to play the River Course at Keystone (Hurdzan and Fry) and it was impossible to get a tee time, even late. Of course, the RTJ Jr KeystoneRanch course being closed contributed to this. However, even the horrendously chewed up greens at RavenGolfClub@3Peaks didn’t deter golfers as they were booked solid all week. Finally got 18 in there yesterday, but the brutal winter of freeze and thaw, rinse and repeat destroyed the putting surfaces and it wasn’t worth the $67 twilight fee.
Zenyatta has a lot....a lot... of ground to make up. She gets there from here she’d be a super horse......what’s this.....Zenyatta hooked to the grandstand side....Zenyatta flying on the outside....this....is...un-belieeeeeevable!...looked impossible at the top of the stretch...

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #174 on: July 09, 2020, 12:50:07 AM »
Feel your pain, Tower. I live on a golf course in Naples, Fl that allows reciprocal play on a limited basis in the off season (May through October). We tee off before the recips and are playing (foursomes) rounds in 3 hours or less.

Think I asked you before, but “do you know any members from Calusa Pines?”
One of my favorite tracks anywhere. Caddied in their M/G years ago and got to play it the following Monday. Superb for memorability, shot values, and condition. Only thing close to it in FL is The Concession (Nicklaus design) in LakewoodRanch/Bradenton area.