[Today at 09:16:20 AM]

NM by Uncle Rico
[Today at 08:59:21 AM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by DFW HOYA
[Today at 08:41:22 AM]

2024-25 Outlook by WellsstreetWanderer
[April 25, 2024, 10:03:37 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")  (Read 1106975 times)

forgetful

• All American
Re: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")
« Reply #9800 on: February 25, 2021, 10:16:53 AM »
One side learned.

Not to mention the clip is taken out of context.

It was in part to emphasize, go get a flu shot. At the very least, if more people get the flu shot, there is less pressure on the hospital systems. It was also to help stop the hysteria leading to hoarding TP and PPE. The latter was desperately needed for front line workers and was being hoarded by random citizens, who had no need for hospital grade PPE.

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #9801 on: February 25, 2021, 10:27:11 AM »

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #9802 on: February 25, 2021, 11:20:53 AM »

Exactly.  A lot of people thought the earth was flat, including some very intelligent people, before 1492.  Now only the crazies think it is.

I don't think this makes the point Pace thinks it makes.

Absolutely!  Also, itmakes the exact point I thought it did.  With the passing of RL there’s been a lot of recent attention and mockery to a comment he made in Feb 2020 comparing Covid to the common cold. 

My point, which remains accurate was that at that time a lot of people were staying stupid sh*t but on this board it’s only certain comments that get criticized over and over and over again when it’s made by a individual associated with the Republican party.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #9803 on: February 25, 2021, 11:25:20 AM »
Absolutely!  Also, itmakes the exact point I thought it did.  With the passing of RL there’s been a lot of recent attention and mockery to a comment he made in Feb 2020 comparing Covid to the common cold. 

My point, which remains accurate was that at that time a lot of people were staying stupid sh*t but on this board it’s only certain comments that get criticized over and over and over again when it’s made by a individual associated with the Republican party.

So you think nobody has the mindset that covid is the flu anymore?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #9804 on: February 25, 2021, 11:25:37 AM »

I think that's very fair to say everyone who compared it to the flu in March and February has egg on their face. I think you'd agree that anyone comparing it to the flu after April, or say in October is doubling down on stupid comparisons because they're too stubborn to admit they're wrong.
Maigh Eo for Sam

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #9805 on: February 25, 2021, 11:32:00 AM »
I think that's very fair to say everyone who compared it to the flu in March and February has egg on their face. I think you'd agree that anyone comparing it to the flu after April, or say in October is doubling down on stupid comparisons because they're too stubborn to admit they're wrong.

Yup, on board with that.  I said at the time Orange bad mans messaging around and handling of the pandemic was going to sink him and it obviously did.

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #9806 on: March 01, 2021, 07:39:06 PM »
https://mobile.twitter.com/justin_hart/status/1366501782407417856

What happened back in April already that led to such a shocking drop in case mortality and hospitalization rate? 

Just more testing being performed so the denominator was getting larger?  Really is stunning to see how low the case fatality rate is if you’re under 60.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #9807 on: March 01, 2021, 11:41:14 PM »

What happened back in April already that led to such a shocking drop in case mortality and hospitalization rate? 

Just more testing being performed so the denominator was getting larger?  Really is stunning to see how low the case fatality rate is if you’re under 60.

Mortality and hospitalization #s are only counting those who tested positive.  So more (negative) testing wouldn't change that.  Now, perhaps we didn't have enough tests and were not catching all the positives, but I think learning how to treat people was the difference in the first couple months vs. after.

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #9808 on: March 02, 2021, 08:19:32 AM »
Mortality and hospitalization #s are only counting those who tested positive.  So more (negative) testing wouldn't change that.  Now, perhaps we didn't have enough tests and were not catching all the positives, but I think learning how to treat people was the difference in the first couple months vs. after.

Trying to remember back that far but was it the over use of ventilators, lack of patient proning, or maybe simply masking just reduced the viral load intake improving things so dramatically and quickly but either way thank god we got things somewhat figured out early on otherwise this would have been a disaster 25x’s the disaster it already was.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #9809 on: March 02, 2021, 10:34:16 AM »

Trying to remember back that far but was it the over use of ventilators, lack of patient proning, or maybe simply masking just reduced the viral load intake improving things so dramatically and quickly but either way thank god we got things somewhat figured out early on otherwise this would have been a disaster 25x’s the disaster it already was.

I think it was all of the above...plus the late recognition of the effectiveness of Dexamethasone for hospitalized patients...plus the lack of Remdesovir as a treatment option for patients requiring oxygen.

It reminds me of the AIDS crisis back in the 80s and 90s. Even though we still don't have a 'cure' or even a vaccine, the virus is no longer a death sentence due to a combination of new drugs and clinicians' evolving understanding of treatment options.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #9810 on: March 02, 2021, 10:35:21 AM »

Hydroxy

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #9811 on: March 02, 2021, 01:36:44 PM »

It reminds me of the AIDS crisis back in the 80s and 90s. Even though we still don't have a 'cure' or even a vaccine, the virus is no longer a death sentence due to a combination of new drugs and clinicians' evolving understanding of treatment options.

Yep, per Nurse Chick, jr., it's now considered to be a condition with a similar prognosis to Type I Diabetes - a lifelong medical condition which is deadly if untreated, but if managed properly, a person can live a long, full life.
Have some patience, FFS.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #9812 on: March 02, 2021, 03:44:37 PM »
Doc and Rocket should probably just move down to TX.  Covid doesn't exist there anymore, apparently.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #9813 on: March 02, 2021, 04:06:51 PM »
Doc and Rocket should probably just move down to TX.  Covid doesn't exist there anymore, apparently.
It wasn't weatherproofed for winter, just like the Texas electrical grid.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #9814 on: March 02, 2021, 10:53:07 PM »

TX Governor signing peoples death warrants. His decision is going to kill people. You will have schools 100% open, no requirement for the kids to wear masks anymore, and teachers still not able to get a vaccine.

Seriously, should be able to charge someone like him for reckless homicide. Just makes zero sense, especially for a state with such a poor performance in vaccination.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #9815 on: March 02, 2021, 11:09:15 PM »
TX Governor signing peoples death warrants. His decision is going to kill people. You will have schools 100% open, no requirement for the kids to wear masks anymore, and teachers still not able to get a vaccine.

Seriously, should be able to charge someone like him for reckless homicide. Just makes zero sense, especially for a state with such a poor performance in vaccination.

He'll just blame the non-existent Green New Deal.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #9816 on: March 02, 2021, 11:11:15 PM »

Does it make more or less sense when compared to this administrations immigration policy at Texas border.  NBC reported tonight immigrants are testing positive for covid and just being let go to wherever their destination is.  Would we charge Biden as well with reckless homicide?

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #9817 on: March 02, 2021, 11:14:00 PM »
NBC reported tonight immigrants are testing positive for covid and just being let go to wherever their destination is. 

Admittedly snark (with some truth): Would you rather pen them them up with other immigrants like the previous administration?

The correct answer is set them up with proper health care - as you would want to be treated yourself.  I don't know that those kinds of facilities are available for immigrants.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2021, 11:16:53 PM by rocky_warrior »

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #9818 on: March 02, 2021, 11:19:22 PM »
Admittedly snark (with some truth): Would you rather pen them them up with other immigrants like the previous administration?

The correct answer is set them up with proper health care - as you would want to be treated yourself.  I don't know that those kinds of facilities are available for immigrants.

I’d rather we encourage and enforce the legal process of immigration.  And if you haven’t been following the news we are currently putting housing them in cages storage bins.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #9819 on: March 02, 2021, 11:21:03 PM »
I’d rather we encourage and enforce the legal process of immigration.  And if you haven’t been following the news we are currently putting housing them in cages storage bins.

I actually don't follow the news much at all.  Avoidance is good for my mental health :)  Much of what you yahoos post I have to google to figure out what's going on.  I haven't googled the issue you mentioned from NBC, but I suspect "there's more to the story".
« Last Edit: March 02, 2021, 11:22:44 PM by rocky_warrior »

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #9820 on: March 02, 2021, 11:24:54 PM »
I actually don't follow the news much at all.  Avoidance is good for my mental health :)

👏👏very sound advice, truthfully!!  Our media is broken beyond repair.

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #9821 on: March 02, 2021, 11:27:25 PM »
I actually don't follow the news much at all.  Avoidance is good for my mental health :)  Much of what you yahoos post I have to google to figure out what's going on.  I haven't googled the issue you mentioned from NBC, but I suspect "there's more to the story".

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna1259282

Not much more to the story....about 7% of migrants are testing positive and being sent on their way with the recommendation to isolate.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2021, 11:29:34 PM by PaceArrow02 »

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #9822 on: March 02, 2021, 11:35:21 PM »

https://mobile.twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1364051498506805266?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1364051498506805266%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fthefederalist.com%2F2021%2F02%2F23%2Fwhite-house-defends-putting-migrant-kids-in-caged-shipping-containers-because-covid%2F

Not that you give a rip but if you do here are the temp controlled shipping containers we’re now using

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #9823 on: March 02, 2021, 11:36:46 PM »
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna1259282

Not much more to the story....about 7% of migrants are testing positive and being sent on their way with the recommendation to isolate.

I suspect that is the right move.  Holding them in a super spreader detention center is not a good idea.
https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/americas-immigration-system-is-a-covid-superspreader1/

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #9824 on: March 02, 2021, 11:41:01 PM »
I suspect that is the right move.  Holding them in a super spreader detention center is not a good idea.
https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/americas-immigration-system-is-a-covid-superspreader1/

Agreed no good answer but maybe just lock the border down for a bit like every other damn country in the world and if you won’t do that save the reckless homicide high horse mumbo jumbo, obviously not directed at you.