collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")  (Read 1100801 times)

Sir Lawrence

• All American
Re: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")
« Reply #875 on: March 12, 2020, 04:31:29 PM »
Milwaukee Archbishop Jerome Listecki Dispenses Catholics from their Sunday Mass Obligation Due to Coronavirus

MILWAUKEE  ― The Archdiocese of Milwaukee announced today that Milwaukee Archbishop Jerome E. Listecki has dispensed Catholics from their obligation to attend Sunday Mass due to concerns about the spread of Covid-19, the coronavirus. The dispensation will cover the next two weeks, including Masses for Sundays March 15, 22 and 29. Masses will still be celebrated across the 10 counties of the archdiocese, but the obligation to attend Sunday Mass will be lifted, leaving attendance to people’s individual judgment.

[there's more, if you are interested:  https://www.archmil.org/News-2.0/Archbishop-Listecki-Dispenses-Catholics-from-Sunday-Mass-Obligation.htm ]
Ludum habemus.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #876 on: March 12, 2020, 04:33:41 PM »
Ohio is being extremely aggressive about this. The Director of the Ohio Department of Health said today that she believes at least 1% of Ohioans (i.e., at least 100k) are already infected. That certainly surprised me to hear.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #877 on: March 12, 2020, 05:04:42 PM »
Ohio is being extremely aggressive about this. The Director of the Ohio Department of Health said today that she believes at least 1% of Ohioans (i.e., at least 100k) are already infected. That certainly surprised me to hear.

I'd love to hear the basis for that considering they are reporting only 4 confirmed
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #878 on: March 12, 2020, 05:09:08 PM »
I'd love to hear the basis for that considering they are reporting only 4 confirmed

Five, but your point stands.

She cited some source -- that I haven't read yet -- that if you have two cases of community spread, it's likely that 1% are infected. I'm skeptical. I have come around to recognizing that this is a very serious situation, but that just seems a little over-the-top. And coming from the State's top health official, I'm surprised.

A report of her comment here.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #879 on: March 12, 2020, 05:15:08 PM »
Milwaukee Archbishop Jerome Listecki Dispenses Catholics from their Sunday Mass Obligation Due to Coronavirus
Masses will still be celebrated across the 10 counties of the archdiocese, but the obligation to attend Sunday Mass will be lifted, leaving attendance to people’s individual judgment.

I was just discussing this with my wife last night .. her parents are near 80 years old and frankly .. should NOT go to church for the next few months.  It shouldn't even be left to their own judgement. 

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #880 on: March 12, 2020, 05:59:39 PM »
Lol. It’s a crackpot theory. Sorry if that offends you.

LOL?  you ok?  absolutely no offense taken, just trying to level the playing field
don't...don't don't don't don't

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #881 on: March 12, 2020, 06:00:25 PM »
So...yeah...still not enough known, but spreads easily...

http://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-perspective/2020/03/study-covid-19-may-spread-several-different-ways

They also drew the eight-floor shopping mall showing the floors where the COVID-19 patients worked or shopped, dates of onset, potential incubation periods, symptom durations, and times of positive diagnosis and hospital release.

Except for those who had visited floor 7, no patients reported close contact with the other patients. "The possibility of customers being infected from other sources cannot be excluded. However, most customers reported early symptom onset in a concentrated time frame," the authors wrote. "Our findings appear to indicate that low intensity transmission occurred without prolonged close contact in this mall; that is, the virus spread by indirect transmission."

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #882 on: March 12, 2020, 06:05:39 PM »

Read Angela Merkel's statements from earlier today. An actual leader talking to her citizens like adults with scientific facts. Ohio is doing what the US should be doing. Social distancing is the answer but Americans are too set in liberty and freedom to believe it. It's the one of negative effects of our society is that we believe in ourselves too much and don't follow rules or care for others in our community.
But I like to throw handfuls...

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #883 on: March 12, 2020, 06:09:33 PM »
Read Angela Merkel's statements from earlier today. An actual leader talking to her citizens like adults with scientific facts. Ohio is doing what the US should be doing. Social distancing is the answer but Americans are too set in liberty and freedom to believe it. It's the one of negative effects of our society is that we believe in ourselves too much and don't follow rules or care for others in our community.

Emphasis on the latter. Germans have a rooting in civic, nationalistic responsibility that allows the 'trust factor' to be meaningful.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #884 on: March 12, 2020, 06:10:26 PM »
My organization has been ordered to work from home for the rest of the month. They also canceled my retirement party.  :-[
Have some patience, FFS.

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #885 on: March 12, 2020, 06:33:20 PM »
Oh no warrior chick -maybe it can be held later.
My parish has announced it will be closed for the next ten days. We livestream the 5 pm Mass on Sundays already, so they are going to livestream one Sunday morning service.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #886 on: March 12, 2020, 06:42:49 PM »

The number may well be exaggerated, but it's hard to confirm when the gov't doesn't provided testing.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #887 on: March 12, 2020, 06:44:10 PM »
CDW just told pretty much all of us to work from home for at least 2 weeks. My manager told us to on Tuesday.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #888 on: March 12, 2020, 06:46:04 PM »
STANFORD HOSPITAL BOARD INTERNAL MESSAGE SAYS:
Read and understand

The new Coronavirus may not show sign of infection for many days. How can one know if he/she is infected? By the time they have fever and/or cough and go to the hospital, the lung is usually 50% Fibrosis and it's too late. Taiwan experts provide a simple self-check that we can do every morning. Take a deep breath and hold your breath for more than 10 seconds. If you complete it successfully without coughing, without discomfort, stiffness or tightness, etc., it proves there is no Fibrosis in the lungs, basically indicates no infection. In critical time, please self-check every morning in an environment with clean air.

EDIT:    THIS IS FALSE INFO. 

Serious excellent advice by Japanese doctors treating COVID-19 cases: Everyone should ensure your mouth & throat are moist, never dry. Take a few sips of water every 15 minutes at least. Why? Even if the virus gets into your mouth, drinking water or other liquids will wash them down through your throat and into the stomach. Once there, your stomach acid will kill all the virus. If you don't drink enough water more regularly, the virus can enter your windpipe and into the lungs. That's very dangerous. Please send and share this with family and friends. Take care everyone and may the world recover from this Coronavirus soon.

EDIT: FALSE AGAIN:  https://apnews.com/afs:Content:8551030197

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT - CORONAVIRUS

1. If you have a runny nose and sputum, you have a common cold
2. Coronavirus pneumonia is a dry cough with no runny nose.
3. This new virus is not heat-resistant and will be killed by a temperature of just 26/27 degrees. It hates the Sun.
4. If someone sneezes with it, it takes about 10 feet before it drops to the ground and is no longer airborne.
5. If it drops on a metal surface it will live for at least 12 hours - so if you come into contact with any metal surface - wash your hands as soon as you can with a bacterial soap.
6. On fabric it can survive for 6-12 hours. normal laundry detergent will kill it.
7. Drinking warm water is effective for all viruses. Try not to drink liquids with ice.
8. Wash your hands frequently as the virus can only live on your hands for 5-10 minutes, but - a lot can happen during that time - you can rub your eyes, pick your nose unwittingly and so on.
9. You should also gargle as a prevention. A simple solution of salt in warm water will suffice.
10. Can't emphasis enough - drink plenty of water!

THE SYMPTOMS
1. It will first infect the throat, so you'll have a sore throat lasting 3/4 days
2. The virus then blends into a nasal fluid that enters the trachea and then the lungs, causing pneumonia. This takes about 5/6 days further.
3. With the pneumonia comes high fever and difficulty in breathing.
4. The nasal congestion is not like the normal kind. You feel like you're drowning. It's imperative you then seek immediate attention.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2020, 07:13:21 PM by mu_hilltopper »

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #889 on: March 12, 2020, 06:56:51 PM »
LOL?  you ok?  absolutely no offense taken, just trying to level the playing field

Level the playing field?  This isn’t a debate. It’s a falsehood.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #890 on: March 12, 2020, 07:09:24 PM »
STANFORD HOSPITAL BOARD INTERNAL MESSAGE SAYS:
Read and understand

Dr B... where'd you get that?  Is it authentic?  I mean .. the advice (if true) is gold.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #891 on: March 12, 2020, 07:11:44 PM »
Edit:  Dr. B .. that may all be a hoax.  The 10 second breath hold is false.

The drinking water piece is false.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/taiwan-experts-self-check/

https://apnews.com/afs:Content:8551030197

Normally I don't edit people's posts, but I do not want false information spread around.   It's good to leave it there, though, so people can recognize the falsehoods.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2020, 07:14:46 PM by mu_hilltopper »

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #892 on: March 12, 2020, 07:26:45 PM »
Edit:  Dr. B .. that may all be a hoax.  The 10 second breath hold is false.

The drinking water piece is false.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/taiwan-experts-self-check/

https://apnews.com/afs:Content:8551030197

Normally I don't edit people's posts, but I do not want false information spread around.   It's good to leave it there, though, so people can recognize the falsehoods.

Oh wow. Was sent to me via Facebook by a medical professional (who shall remain nameless...but I might share a pillow with).  Thanks for the fact check.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #893 on: March 12, 2020, 07:30:40 PM »
Oh wow. Was sent to me via Facebook by a medical professional (who shall remain nameless...but I might share a pillow with).  Thanks for the fact check.

Ouch.  So, do us a favor and have your pillow partner follow up with whoever sent her that info, tell them it's false and, yadda yadda, stop spreading.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #894 on: March 12, 2020, 07:39:45 PM »

Gooooooo?

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #895 on: March 12, 2020, 07:44:47 PM »
Still feels extreme, a lot of kids depend on school meal programs, etc

An idea that has been floated is drive ups at schools.  You get 4 meals worth and can come back every other day.  How the kid gets to the school is probably trickier, but I imagine that a lot of the parents that have problems providing food for kids will also be out of work soon as well.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #896 on: March 12, 2020, 07:46:53 PM »

Because there aren't enough tests to check people for this, and the tests don't turn over instantly.

I know you're a numbers guy, but sometimes you have to use estimates, and mathematical models to determine this sort of thing.  Just like we can't with absolute accuracy predict the CFR, we can go with what we have.

You can only tell John Q Public, "We don't know" so long before they freak out.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #897 on: March 12, 2020, 07:48:53 PM »

Wow, that person is ridiculously overestimating the number of infections. There is little to no data to support such an assertion.

I know epidemiologists that have run many models with the best CDC data, and that is way off scale from even their most aggressive models.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #898 on: March 12, 2020, 07:49:19 PM »

Well, I mean, I injected zero politics into it.  So you swung and missed on the criticism of me there.  He was talking in vagaries for no reason.  Why else say it that way unless he is embarrassed to explain himself?  He never really responded after with what he meant.  I don't know the guy, could have been some Democratic Hoax crackpot theory.

Cool your jets, mate.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #899 on: March 12, 2020, 07:53:22 PM »
An idea that has been floated is drive ups at schools.  You get 4 meals worth and can come back every other day.  How the kid gets to the school is probably trickier, but I imagine that a lot of the parents that have problems providing food for kids will also be out of work soon as well.

Don't worry. Congress is gonna pass a bill supporting working families.

Wait. No. Sorry.

Govt instead gonna give a trillion to wall street

feedback