collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")  (Read 1085075 times)

Hards Alumni

• All American
Re: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")
« Reply #400 on: March 03, 2020, 05:01:54 PM »
Anyone else's company put total kabosh on travel? We got word this morning at my company (Fortune 500, 35,000 employees) that all domestic travel is immediately suspended.

Most meetings can be done via web at this point.  I don't blame them.  Less employees that get it, less loss in productivity.  Not to mention, the appearance of trying to do something, rather than people getting upset that they need to put themselves in danger because the company doesn't take this seriously.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #401 on: March 03, 2020, 05:10:44 PM »
I have a source to a healthcare provider, they've received thousands of calls to get tested. The CDC will send them 500 kits ... hopefully by Friday. Sigh.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #402 on: March 03, 2020, 05:18:59 PM »
As an aside .. not sure why people are casting shade on this lady .. (https://twitter.com/into_the_brush/status/1234685467682979840)

She called a hotline, checked the CDC website, called two general docs, called an urgent care, called a hospital.  She did all that BEFORE she tweeted her story.   

She did everything right and tweeted how broken the system is.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #403 on: March 03, 2020, 06:28:58 PM »
Anyone else's company put total kabosh on travel? We got word this morning at my company (Fortune 500, 35,000 employees) that all domestic travel is immediately suspended.
Not yet, and I have overnight travel 2-3 nights/week for next 4-5 weeks. Not leaving Southeast U.S. at least.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #404 on: March 03, 2020, 06:29:27 PM »
I work for a national medical society. Our CEO is an MD whose specialization is in infectious disease.

He called a staff meeting today to tell us that every department should have a work-from-home contingency plan, just in case. He also said to stay at home if we or any of our family members feel ill, and to wash our hands. Also, he told us that masks are worthless to prevent catching the virus, and may be counterproductive because they trap moisture and prompt you to touch your face more often.

Overall, he did not seem overly worried; he just would prefer that we err on the side of caution.
Have some patience, FFS.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #405 on: March 03, 2020, 07:00:43 PM »
Is it political to ask why with 6 weeks notice our country has almost zero mass screening/testing in place?

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #406 on: March 03, 2020, 07:19:56 PM »
As an aside .. not sure why people are casting shade on this lady .. (https://twitter.com/into_the_brush/status/1234685467682979840)

She called a hotline, checked the CDC website, called two general docs, called an urgent care, called a hospital.  She did all that BEFORE she tweeted her story.   

I was just going by what a Scooper had previously said.

Never a good idea.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #407 on: March 03, 2020, 07:23:01 PM »
Is it political to ask why with 6 weeks notice our country has almost zero mass screening/testing in place?

Might be considered to be political, but we ALL know why this is a sh*tshow. It's what happens when we destroy the bureaucracy.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #408 on: March 03, 2020, 08:24:26 PM »

6 weeks for a national emergency or 6 months?  depends on who you vote for, i guess.  Not trying to pull whataboutism, but things take time to develop, especially with China trying to keep things under wraps for several weeks/months.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_flu_pandemic_in_the_United_States
History
The earliest reported cases in the US began appearing in late March 2009, in California,[118][119] then spread to infect people in Texas, New York, and assorted other states by mid-April. This spread continued across the country's population and by the end of May had infected citizens in all 50 states. The pattern continued through June of the same year. The total number of confirmed cases varied from 27,717[120] (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) confirmed and probable cases) and 25,453 (total of all state confirmed cases) as of June 26, 2009.

Towards the middle of June 2009, the number of US cases surpassed those of Mexico, which had been the previous leader in diagnosed cases of the disease. Toward the end of June 2009, the number of deaths related to the virus in the US surpassed those of all other countries as well.

On June 25, the CDC released information revealing that there were more than likely over one million (1,000,000) cases of the disease in the US, most of which had not been reported or diagnosed.[121][122]

Deaths relating to this new strain of influenza began appearing in the US in late April, and by early June 15, states had reported fatalities related to or directly occurring from the virus. These deaths totaled at 4,000 as of November 15, 2009. The CDC distributed a vaccine for the novel flu strain.[123] using mechanisms already in place for its Vaccines for Children (VFC) program.[124]

On October 24, 2009, President Barack Obama declared Swine Flu a national emergency in the United States. On November 12, 2009, the CDC reported an estimated 22 million Americans had been infected with 2009 A H1N1 and 4,000 Americans have died.[125] On December 10, 2009, the CDC reported an estimated 50 million Americans or 1 in 6 people had been infected with the 2009 A H1N1 Virus and 10,000 Americans had died, by which time the vaccine was beginning to be widely distributed to the general public by several states.[126] On December 23, 2009 the CDC reported a reduction of the disease by 59% percent and the disease was expected to end in the United States in January 2010.

On January 15, 2010, the CDC released new estimate figures for swine flu, saying it has sickened about 55 million Americans and killed about 11,160 from April through mid-December.[127] On February 12, 2010, the CDC released updated estimate figures for swine flu, reporting that, in total, 57 million Americans had been sickened, 257,000 had been hospitalised and 11,690 people had died (including 1,180 children) due to swine flu from April through to mid-January.[128]

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #409 on: March 03, 2020, 08:32:36 PM »
Not exactly sure how the swine flu situation  is relevant. At all.

Read this.

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/02/united-states-badly-bungled-coronavirus-testing-things-may-soon-improve

“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

reinko

• All American
« Reply #410 on: March 03, 2020, 08:40:27 PM »
ZFB, then how can other first world countries have tens of thousands working tests at the ready and efficient screening procedures operating, while we just wait in like to buy toilet paper and Purell?

And you are right, past administrations gotta pass for their ineptitude, and who knows if history will other judge fairly or accordingly.  Probably not though.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #411 on: March 03, 2020, 09:11:42 PM »

Because if I’m her I’m just going to a damn doctor and not messing with all of the other stuff. Not that hard to get into an urgent care

She wanted retweets

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #412 on: March 03, 2020, 09:19:08 PM »
Because if I’m her I’m just going to a damn doctor and not messing with all of the other stuff. Not that hard to get into an urgent care

She wanted retweets

Then you would be wasting time and needlessly endangering others.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #413 on: March 03, 2020, 09:39:55 PM »
Then you would be wasting time and needlessly endangering others.

+1

1) If you feel really awful, like you can't breathe, go to the ER.

2) If you think you might have it (fever,  plus respiratory), call the doctor of your choice and see if they can test you.

3) If they say no, stay home and repeat #1 & #2.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #414 on: March 03, 2020, 10:35:45 PM »
Not exactly sure how the swine flu situation  is relevant. At all.

Read this.

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/02/united-states-badly-bungled-coronavirus-testing-things-may-soon-improve

Because reinko mentioned politics and jock itch threw gas on the fire.  The swine flu was the last pandemic (not counting ebola, that was different) that the US has faced.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #415 on: March 03, 2020, 11:01:17 PM »
Because reinko mentioned politics and jock itch threw gas on the fire.  The swine flu was the last pandemic (not counting ebola, that was different) that the US has faced.

umm, you forgot coleman's diatribe on politics as well.  all i did was say it was the wrong thread, meaning it doesn't belong in ANY thread due to the politics and they erase my post?  colemans post could have lit the fire as well, but i was exercising restraint  something don't smell right here
don't...don't don't don't don't

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #416 on: March 03, 2020, 11:07:22 PM »
Knock off the politics.  History is history.  The CDC hasn't moved fast enough.  Lay blame where you want, but don't do it here.

Jockey

• All American

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #418 on: March 04, 2020, 08:57:45 AM »
When does the Fiserv ditch DIY touchscreens? Will computers/robots be replaced by people?! Context being I just read how all McDonalds touchscreens tested positive for fecal matter. We are doomed!
« Last Edit: March 04, 2020, 09:02:08 AM by 21Jumpstreet »

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #419 on: March 04, 2020, 09:02:09 AM »
When does the Fiserv ditch DIY touchscreens? Will computers/robots be replaced by people?!

Interesting thought regarding automation. The technology is there to automate a wide variety of global production, the impetus to invest just wasn't there yet as it is cheaper just to produce traditional ways overseas.

If this continues to manifest global supply problems, then this may be the impetus needed for global automation.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #420 on: March 04, 2020, 09:02:17 AM »
I have a source to a healthcare provider, they've received thousands of calls to get tested. The CDC will send them 500 kits ... hopefully by Friday. Sigh.

Interesting, I have a first hand account that said that the UW head of infectious diseases says that the CDC has bungled this beyond belief, and that he is furious.  He has also said that stopping spread at this point is unavoidable, and that everyone should have two weeks of dry food on hand.

So that is not reassuring.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #421 on: March 04, 2020, 09:30:56 AM »
He has also said that stopping spread at this point is unavoidable, and that everyone should have two weeks of dry food on hand.

So that is not reassuring.

As time goes on .. I find that attitude surprising.  I think what we're going to discover is that COVID19 is widespread, like hundreds of thousands of people have it right this minute.   Hell, my son had a fever and a cough for three days last week.  We saw no doctor and just got through it.   I think tons of C19 cases are going to be like that.

Yes, it's infectious but so are 999 other viruses. 

32m people get the flu in the US, and only 310k of them get medical attention.  We don't have mass quarantines and runs on grocery stores. -- Even if you doubled those numbers for C19, I don't think you stock up your pantry.

I am not an expert but I've stayed at a Holiday Inn Express before.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #422 on: March 04, 2020, 10:11:20 AM »
As time goes on .. I find that attitude surprising.  I think what we're going to discover is that COVID19 is widespread, like hundreds of thousands of people have it right this minute.   Hell, my son had a fever and a cough for three days last week.  We saw no doctor and just got through it.   I think tons of C19 cases are going to be like that.

Yes, it's infectious but so are 999 other viruses. 

32m people get the flu in the US, and only 310k of them get medical attention.  We don't have mass quarantines and runs on grocery stores. -- Even if you doubled those numbers for C19, I don't think you stock up your pantry.

I am not an expert but I've stayed at a Holiday Inn Express before.

True enough.  Today the WHO said CFR (Case Fatality Rate) appears to be around 3.4%... which is actually quite bad.  I'm just worried that my parents generation (70+) is in much more trouble.  And, they are the ones that aren't taking this seriously.  My parents are getting on a plane to get on a cruise ship on Friday in SA.  I've done all I can to convince them that its a terrible idea, but my mother is a fatalist, so my warnings have fallen on deaf ears.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #423 on: March 04, 2020, 10:24:13 AM »
True enough.  Today the WHO said CFR (Case Fatality Rate) appears to be around 3.4%... which is actually quite bad.  I'm just worried that my parents generation (70+) is in much more trouble.  And, they are the ones that aren't taking this seriously.  My parents are getting on a plane to get on a cruise ship on Friday in SA.  I've done all I can to convince them that its a terrible idea, but my mother is a fatalist, so my warnings have fallen on deaf ears.

Yeah I have an octogenarian mother-in-law with a history of lung issues.  Living in an assisted living place with a bunch of similar people.  I am much more worried about her than I am my children or myself.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #424 on: March 04, 2020, 10:43:24 AM »
My parents are getting on a plane to get on a cruise ship on Friday in SA.  I've done all I can to convince them that its a terrible idea, but my mother is a fatalist, so my warnings have fallen on deaf ears.

We're getting on a cruise in two weeks.  Generally, a month out, there is no refund, so yeah, we, and your parents are rolling the dice .. but it's better than flushing thousands$.
Just remember .. Americans take 10m cruise trips per year, so ~27k per day are getting on, off ships, plus or minus.   With the exception of a few ships, all these passengers are fine, and 27k more tomorrow will be fine.
"Until they are not."