[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Where is Marquette? by Uncle Rico
[Today at 03:05:12 PM]

Sweet 16 presser by tower912
[Today at 02:40:05 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by Jay Bee
[Today at 02:05:40 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")  (Read 1085633 times)

Coleman

• All American
Re: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")
« Reply #175 on: February 19, 2020, 11:03:33 AM »
I completely agree. This is a very scary virus. I'm not minimizing that at all. When I compare it to the flu, I do not intend at all to suggest that this thing isn't extraordinarily serious where there are outbreaks. Only that people in the US should not be overly concerned about catching it themselves. Concerned about the people  in China? Absolutely. Concerned about impact on world economy? Yep. Concerned about actually acquiring it in the US? Probably not...especially if you don't live in fear of catching the flu.

We are pretty much in agreement then. We are lucky the CDC is really good at what they do. Probably one of the most under-appreciated government agencies.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #176 on: February 19, 2020, 11:05:08 AM »
We are pretty much in agreement then. We are lucky the CDC is really good at what they do. Probably one of the most under-appreciated government agencies.

Probably need to cut their budget then.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #177 on: February 19, 2020, 11:19:40 AM »

No matter how good you are, when you essentially have the power to lock down and quarantine a major city, nobody's going to like you... even if you're trying to save their life.

Welcome to parenthood.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #178 on: February 19, 2020, 11:28:16 AM »
Probably need to cut their budget then.

So much this!  They've let like 15 cases through to the US, that's unacceptable.   What are they doing with all their money?

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #179 on: February 19, 2020, 01:14:55 PM »
So much this!  They've let like 15 cases through to the US, that's unacceptable.   What are they doing with all their money?
Coke and whores...but for medical research purposes. Probably.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #180 on: February 19, 2020, 03:56:48 PM »

A container showed up today from our Chinese customer.   They were returning empty spools and crates to us for our reuse.

Some of the floor workers were freaking out that our engineer called the CDC.  The CDC called him back indicating we had nothing to worry about and even less so since the crates spent several weeks on a boat crossing the Pacific followed by a cross country trip from California.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #181 on: February 19, 2020, 09:27:42 PM »
South Koreas numbers today are... not reassuring.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #182 on: February 20, 2020, 05:58:28 PM »
The Trump administration fired the entire pandemic response chain of command, and dismissed the White House management infrastructure.

He pushed Congress to cut funding for disease security programs created by Bush and Obama. Then, Trump lopped off $15 billion in national health spending and zeroed out the global disease-fighting budgets of the CDC, NSC, DHS, and HHS.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2020, 06:47:56 PM by mu_hilltopper »

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #183 on: February 22, 2020, 09:23:01 AM »
South Koreas numbers today are... not reassuring.

I said this three days ago when the number was 53.  Currently, its at 433... so an 8x increase in three days.

Looks like we might actually be seeing what this virus can do... and its not good.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #184 on: February 22, 2020, 01:57:15 PM »
My guess is that by the end of next week the total confirmed infected will be over 100k.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #185 on: February 22, 2020, 08:04:50 PM »
The Trump administration fired the entire pandemic response chain of command, and dismissed the White House management infrastructure.

He pushed Congress to cut funding for disease security programs created by Bush and Obama. Then, Trump lopped off $15 billion in national health spending and zeroed out the global disease-fighting budgets of the CDC, NSC, DHS, and HHS.

Interesting how this isn’t politics but when another admin is shown to have tried to cut funding the post is deleted.  So strange.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #186 on: February 23, 2020, 09:57:49 AM »
Interesting how this isn’t politics but when another admin is shown to have tried to cut funding the post is deleted.  So strange.

Yes, there's terrible moderator hypocrisy on this forum.   You should be outraged.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #187 on: February 23, 2020, 10:47:22 AM »
Yes, there's terrible moderator hypocrisy on this forum.   You should be outraged.

I just find it strange that someone brings up CDC PROPOSED cuts and when someone shows the previous guy did the same thing....it is deleted.  Wonder how come?
« Last Edit: February 23, 2020, 11:18:14 AM by Cheeks »
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #188 on: February 23, 2020, 11:21:24 AM »
I just fine it strange that someone brings up CDC PROPOSED cuts and when someone shows the previous guy did the same thing....it is deleted.  Wonder how come?

Because you're off topic.  You don't have to ruin every thread with your political garbage.  This is moderating 101.

If you want to 'point out hypocrisy, there is an entire world to do it.   No one cares, and it isn't relevant to the discussion at hand.  Yet you CONTINUE to think that it is important.

If you have a problem with the post in question, report it, and ask for its removal.  But your false outrage and attempts to continually change the narrative are exhausting.  Its why you're so despised here. 

Read the room.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #189 on: February 23, 2020, 11:38:37 AM »
I just fine it strange that someone brings up CDC PROPOSED cuts and when someone shows the previous guy did the same thing....it is deleted.  Wonder how come?

Tell me about it!  The hypocrisy is unbearable, right? 

If it isn't, how can we get you to that point?  (Asking a friend.)

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #190 on: February 23, 2020, 09:16:57 PM »
Because you're off topic.  You don't have to ruin every thread with your political garbage.  This is moderating 101.

If you want to 'point out hypocrisy, there is an entire world to do it.   No one cares, and it isn't relevant to the discussion at hand.  Yet you CONTINUE to think that it is important.

If you have a problem with the post in question, report it, and ask for its removal.  But your false outrage and attempts to continually change the narrative are exhausting.  Its why you're so despised here. 

Read the room.

Oh mods were notified.... it's weird, if no one cares why would anyone care if someone posted that the previous administration did the same thing...you know since no one cares. 

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #191 on: February 23, 2020, 10:06:29 PM »
Looks like we’ve got more than one virus in this thread.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #192 on: February 23, 2020, 10:29:30 PM »
Coke and whores...but for medical research purposes. Probably.

smith and i have had some fightin words, but this one made me LOL, spittle and milk out the nose funny!  good one T! 
don't...don't don't don't don't

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #193 on: February 23, 2020, 11:00:33 PM »
Oh mods were notified.... it's weird, if no one cares why would anyone care if someone posted that the previous administration did the same thing...you know since no one cares.

Because you're a nutjob and take it to extremes.  You can't help yourself.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #194 on: February 23, 2020, 11:27:22 PM »
Welp, this had been a good thread with COVID-19 updates. One of the few superbar threads I follow. Now I see why you all report chicos as a thread ruiner.

I have to admit, he usually doesn't bring up or mention politics (others actually do that more), but he sure does have knack for public whining and complaining! 

Drop it cheeks.

Anyhow, looks likes China's financials due to CV are finally starting to get recognition. And with worldwide cases spreading (Italy!) Still impressive CDC has handled it here well, even with the cruise ship passengers - despite media outrage, it was for our own good!

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #195 on: February 24, 2020, 08:05:43 AM »
DOW expected to open -850 points this morning due to COVID-19.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #196 on: February 24, 2020, 08:57:38 AM »
Topper

I am completely shocked it has taken this long for the market to respond. On 2/3 I wrote down the NASDAQ was 9270 and fully expected a big pullback starting roughly around that time. It is currently approx at that point now. I have great concerns over the virus and the how it will affect the global economy for the remainder on the year. We are in the first inning of this potential crisis., I am afraid.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #197 on: February 24, 2020, 09:22:21 AM »
Topper

I am completely shocked it has taken this long for the market to respond. On 2/3 I wrote down the NASDAQ was 9270 and fully expected a big pullback starting roughly around that time. It is currently approx at that point now. I have great concerns over the virus and the how it will affect the global economy for the remainder on the year. We are in the first inning of this potential crisis., I am afraid.

I think it took this long because certain people were warned to slowly pull out.  But that's just the crazy in me talking.  ;)

The numbers out of Italy are of extreme concern. 

This is a global pandemic whether the WHO wants to call it that or not.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #198 on: February 24, 2020, 11:52:27 AM »

This is a global pandemic whether the WHO wants to call it that or not.

Because China tried to cover it up rather than deal with it when they needed to, this has all the earmarks of a classic pandemic. Once the spread has started, it is not easy to stop.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #199 on: February 24, 2020, 12:46:13 PM »
weird, i've owned the stock called gilead for some time and just added to it last week-my suspicions were unfortunately right on.  they have been working on a drug called remdesavir, an anti-viral that may be effective against the coronavirus.  it hasn't been approved anywhere to use, but one has to think the pressure is on
don't...don't don't don't don't

feedback