[Today at 04:57:21 PM]

Sweet 16 presser by MuMark
[Today at 04:40:13 PM]

Where is Marquette? by Dr. Blackheart
[Today at 04:38:52 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")  (Read 1086092 times)

Benny B

• All American
COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")
« on: January 27, 2020, 01:21:53 PM »
I once knew a few ladies who regularly came down with Coronavirus, but at least they never got scurvy.

Honest question: Theoretically, does US Immigration/Customs maintain records of persons entering the US by country/city of origin?  If not, the airlines would have these records, and you would think they would be happy to turn these over to the CDC in the interest of a potential public health emergency.

So the question is, why wouldn't the CDC immediately deploy field personnel to be in contact with every person in the U.S. who has traveled to Wuhan (or any other hot spots in China) over the past 4-6 weeks?  I don't think we're talking 10's of thousands of people here, so logistically, they should have the resources to do so, and frankly, I don't think most people of sound mind would question the justification... any virologist will tell you that it's not nuclear weapons, guns, or Putin that poses the biggest risk to society.

I'm not saying sound the klaxons to round these people up or put them in quarantine immediately, but shouldn't the CDC at least be monitoring every one of these people for symptoms, keeping track of where else they've been and who they've contacted, etc.  It all seems very reactionary on the part of the CDC right now, and frankly, if this is SOP, if Coronavirus doesn't decimate the population, it's only a matter of time before Howie Mandel has the Earth all to himself.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2020, 09:57:59 AM by Benny B »
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

StillAWarrior

• All American
Re: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2020, 02:43:37 PM »
I once knew a few ladies who regularly came down with Coronavirus, but at least they never got scurvy.

Honest question: Theoretically, does US Immigration/Customs maintain records of persons entering the US by country/city of origin?  If not, the airlines would have these records, and you would think they would be happy to turn these over to the CDC in the interest of a potential public health emergency.

So the question is, why wouldn't the CDC immediately deploy field personnel to be in contact with every person in the U.S. who has traveled to Wuhan (or any other hot spots in China) over the past 4-6 weeks?  I don't think we're talking 10's of thousands of people here, so logistically, they should have the resources to do so, and frankly, I don't think most people of sound mind would question the justification... any virologist will tell you that it's not nuclear weapons, guns, or Putin that poses the biggest risk to society.

I'm not saying sound the klaxons to round these people up or put them in quarantine immediately, but shouldn't the CDC at least be monitoring every one of these people for symptoms, keeping track of where else they've been and who they've contacted, etc.  It all seems very reactionary on the part of the CDC right now, and frankly, if this is SOP, if Coronavirus doesn't decimate the population, it's only a matter of time before Howie Mandel has the Earth all to himself.

I'm hearing about this through a somewhat interesting channel because Purdue has several thousand students from China, many of who were home for the Holidays. They've been communicating with students about this, and have said they will immediately isolate anyone who shows up at the health center with symptoms who had been in China.  While nobody wants to induce panic or stigmatize anyone, it would seem that a more proactive approach along the lines you described would be appropriate:  find out if any students were in any of the "hot spots" and isolate them even if they are asymptomatic.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2020, 02:44:26 PM »
Treat it with a lime virus.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2020, 03:41:41 PM »
Treat it with a lime virus.
i was thinking eat some nachos

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2020, 04:12:35 PM »
C'mon guys. Let us at least have a few moments to enjoy our panic.

I'm still in my bunker to protect myself from the birds (flu) and the bees (killers).

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2020, 04:57:17 PM »
I'll tell you what I know....

The CDC is very good at what they do.  Most of that is in coordination with state level Public Heath departments.  You won't hear much about either doing anything.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2020, 05:47:30 PM »
Yeah, if you want doom, I don't think the Coronavirus is going to cut it.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2020, 05:55:44 PM »

Wow. Didn’t realize that Bird Flu is that deadly.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2020, 06:09:43 PM »

I would be extremely impressed if the CDC had the resources/personnel to perform this action.

I can't say I've actually looked at budgets or employment numbers, but it sure appears as though we, as a federal government, are lessening resources toward science/regulatory agencies.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2020, 06:11:50 PM »

I've been thinking about this a lot when reading the number of confirmed cases vs deaths. Its reassuring. At the same time though, isn't the fatality rate sufficient to throw a real kink into modern society suprisingly low? I tried searching for an article I read awhile back about this, and couldn't find it, but I thought I read that widespread transmission combined with death rates in the low-mid single digits could effectively shut down society as we know it.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2020, 06:13:10 PM »
I've been thinking about this a lot when reading the number of confirmed cases vs deaths. Its reassuring. At the same time though, isn't the fatality rate sufficient to throw a real kink into modern society suprisingly low? I tried searching for an article I read awhile back about this, and couldn't find it, but I thought I read that widespread transmission combined with death rates in the low-mid single digits could effectively shut down society as we know it.

Plus, do you think China is releasing truthful numbers?

When the virus was first becoming obvious to the public, their response was to silence any reports.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2020, 06:20:32 PM »
Plus, do you think China is releasing truthful numbers?

When the virus was first becoming obvious to the public, their response was to silence any reports.

Yeah, it will be really interesting to see what happens with the death rates related to cases outside of China.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2020, 09:21:52 PM »
I tend to not get overly concerned about these things. My advice to my daughter at Purdue: “Wash your hands a lot and don’t make out with anyone who was recently in China.”

Last year 57000 people in this country died from the flu. I’d venture a guess that this virus - as bad as it seems to be - will not even remotely approach that. People should wash their hands. That’s good advice even when there is not some scary new virus from China that is unlikely to even infect as many people in the USA as die every year from the flu.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2020, 09:35:43 PM »

Cool graphic if you believe the reports out of China.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2020, 09:50:19 PM »

A virus that has been known only for a matter of weeks on a chart alongside diseases that have been studied for decades.  Yeah... I see nothing wrong there. 
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2020, 09:54:00 PM »

As I look at that, I’m reminded of something I didn’t know until just a few years ago: rabies is some serious sh*t. If you’re symptomatic, you’re gonna die. I never realized.

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2020, 09:57:32 PM »
Based on the way China works, if they're reporting anything the real numbers are 10-100x what's being reported. 
Slow incubation period makes it harder to catch.

The difference, however, is in quality of medical care.  In China, a far higher percentage will die than in other countries where there is quality medical care available.  Based on reports from Singapore, which is already reacting strongly despite their small quantity of 5 cases, early detection and quality care make the virus survivable.

Also, it's hard to understand the level of filth and bacteria that exist in the central markets of chinese cities.  The people that work there would live in housing that doesn't even have warm water.  1-2 showers per winter would be a lot.  They don't change clothes.  It's really a breeding ground.
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2020, 10:15:52 PM »
As I look at that, I’m reminded of something I didn’t know until just a few years ago: rabies is some serious sh*t. If you’re symptomatic, you’re gonna die. I never realized.

Yeah I think there is ONE survivor... fairly recent and her life is a total mess because of the rabies.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2020, 10:19:35 PM »
I tend to not get overly concerned about these things. My advice to my daughter at Purdue: “Wash your hands a lot and don’t make out with anyone who was recently in China.”

What if he (or she) is a crazy, rich Asian?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2020, 10:30:38 PM »
What if he (or she) is a crazy, rich Asian?

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2020, 08:30:24 AM »
Yeah I think there is ONE survivor... fairly recent and her life is a total mess because of the rabies.

I learned about rabies several years ago from a good friend.  He and his family had been on vacation at a lake house and awoke in the morning to find a bat in the house.  All the bedrooms were open.  They didn't catch the bat for testing.  Even though nobody had any particular reason to believe they had been bitten, scratched, etc., the medical recommendation was that all six of them receive the vaccine. It wasn't mandatory, but he was ultimately persuaded when the doctor told him, "If if was my family, I'd do it" because if symptoms develop, it's too late.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2020, 09:04:04 AM »

There are some organizations doing great work to help.

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2020, 09:48:50 AM »

Not quite a total mess.  She went through hell and back during her recovery, but is doing fairly well now:

https://www.jsonline.com/story/news/health/2016/03/29/motherhood-is-latest-milestone-for-woman-who-survived-rabies/84941662/

The odd thing about how she was bitten:  taking a bat out of church to "save" it.  Parents, don't let your daughters grow up to be bat rescuers!
Ludum habemus.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2020, 09:55:36 AM »
Not quite a total mess.  She went through hell and back during her recovery, but is doing fairly well now:

https://www.jsonline.com/story/news/health/2016/03/29/motherhood-is-latest-milestone-for-woman-who-survived-rabies/84941662/

The odd thing about how she was bitten:  taking a bat out of church to "save" it.  Parents, don't let your daughters grow up to be bat rescuers!

Thank you for posting that.  I see from that article that there are now 10 survivors.  So, it's still pretty dire, but it looks like treatment is developing.  I hadn't realized that there was a Milwaukee connection.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2020, 11:58:16 AM »
I learned about rabies several years ago from a good friend.  He and his family had been on vacation at a lake house and awoke in the morning to find a bat in the house.  All the bedrooms were open.  They didn't catch the bat for testing.  Even though nobody had any particular reason to believe they had been bitten, scratched, etc., the medical recommendation was that all six of them receive the vaccine. It wasn't mandatory, but he was ultimately persuaded when the doctor told him, "If if was my family, I'd do it" because if symptoms develop, it's too late.

Exact same thing happened at a co-worker's home a few years back.  What was most surprising is he showed us the hospital bill: a cool quarter-mil for his family of five ($50k each).  Initially, I thought that was stupid and a waste of money considering that a fraction of 1 percent of all bats have rabies (there are statistics where the percentage is greater, perhaps as high as 10%, but these are percentages of weak or sick bats targeted for testing).  But in the remote chance you were exposed, death is virtually assured.  So it's pretty much exactly what health insurance is for.

Evidently the "post-incident" prophylaxis is a completely different formula than the typical vaccinations animals receive and has an extremely short shelf life.  Either that or Martin Shkreli must own the company that produces it.

Moral of story: If you find a bat in your home... DON'T LET IT ESCAPE.