[March 27, 2024, 10:24:36 PM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by TallTitan34
[March 27, 2024, 10:20:50 PM]

Best MU team since 1977 by Galway Eagle
[March 27, 2024, 09:47:04 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Hallmarq
[March 27, 2024, 09:09:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: 14-5  (Read 18694 times)

mileskishnish72

• All American
Re: 14-5
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2020, 10:58:36 PM »
Good game defensively by Theo, but had a great pass to him under the basket, stripped easily. Is this due to the thumb injury?

WhoaJoe2020

• All American
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2020, 11:06:41 PM »

I remember after the SH game Wojo said something like " it wasn't really a 14 point loss"

After this game I expect he will say it wasn't really a 14 point win.

Some would call 14 points in either case a blowout, but it sure didn't feel like a blowout in either game to me. I guess there are multiple ways to win and lose by 14. Who knew???

CAGASS24

• All American
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2020, 11:08:52 PM »
Dig it!!

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2020, 11:09:38 PM »
We need something good to happen these next two games.

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2020, 11:36:09 PM »
I remember after the SH game Wojo said something like " it wasn't really a 14 point loss"

After this game I expect he will say it wasn't really a 14 point win.

Some would call 14 points in either case a blowout, but it sure didn't feel like a blowout in either game to me. I guess there are multiple ways to win and lose by 14. Who knew???

Awesome post. Keep it up!

WarriorHal

• All American
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2020, 12:01:58 AM »
Is the extent of Elliott's injury known or any estimate of how much longer he'll be out?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2020, 12:05:09 AM »
All that effen angst about us simply having to go 3-0 against X, GT and StJ ... all the pre-whining ... all the implied Wojo-better-win-or-else statements ... what a lot of wasted energy.

Bailey had his least effective game in a bit, just seemed a little out of it. And even he had a couple nice moments. Very solid contributions from everybody else who played before garbage time.

We definitely got the better end from the officiating crew tonight. I can just imagine Scoopers -- including me -- if a Warrior had gotten called for a foul on something like Markus' 5-point play. Nothing wrong with a little home cookin' ... when we're the home team!

From next-to-last place to 4th place in less than a week's time.

We Are Marquette!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2020, 01:25:52 AM »
Free throws do matta.

Getting to the free throw line? Absolutely.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2020, 05:57:06 AM »
All that effen angst about us simply having to go 3-0 against X, GT and StJ ... all the pre-whining ... all the implied Wojo-better-win-or-else statements ... what a lot of wasted energy.

Bailey had his least effective game in a bit, just seemed a little out of it. And even he had a couple nice moments. Very solid contributions from everybody else who played before garbage time.

We definitely got the better end from the officiating crew tonight. I can just imagine Scoopers -- including me -- if a Warrior had gotten called for a foul on something like Markus' 5-point play. Nothing wrong with a little home cookin' ... when we're the home team!

We Are Marquette!
Are you suggesting that Markus wasn’t fouled on his 5 point play?  Very clear he was.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2020, 06:48:28 AM »
Is the extent of Elliott's injury known or any estimate of how much longer he'll be out?

It's not, but I have to think it's probably still weeks at this point.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2020, 07:20:35 AM »
According to Guru things are still not "ok". My question is when does it become "ok"?? 10 game win streak? When's it become good?

When they STOP losing to crap opponents(like Providence) at home. Just because MU won these last 3(all games they were expected to win..I don't give a damn what vegas says) doesn't mean everything is okay. Let's see how they do in these next two road tests and get back to me then. Playing better?? Sure...but they didn't exactly play who's who of CBB in these last 3. That's the reality..just trying to make sure people understand that they did EXACTLY what everyone should have expected them to do these last 3...they still have to make up for the PC game somewhere.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

1SE

• All American
« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2020, 07:25:27 AM »
Not quite as vitriolic as guru, but basically we're just to be back to where we should be. But no real reason to get too excited about meeting expectations.

Friday's the first chance in a while for this team to get above expectations. Hopefully they do.
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

StillWarriors

• All American
« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2020, 07:26:34 AM »

We Are Marquette!

Bailey looked very tentative and lacked confidence on his 3s. Seemed like he was steering it rather than his normal fluid release. Nice to see him contribute with some rebounds and that great drive and finish. Would be so nice to have Koby and Bailey find more consistency and confidence outside. We’d have quite a few pretty reliable options to complement Howard and make the defense pay if they sell out on stopping Howard.

Sure hope Greg can come back before long too. Doesn’t seem to be moving very well in the boot.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2020, 07:50:23 AM »
Are you suggesting that Markus wasn’t fouled on his 5 point play?  Very clear he was.

I only saw one quick replay. To me, it looked borderline -- Rutherford got a piece of the ball and, as his momentum continued, might have touched Markus' wrist. We've all seen similar not called dozens of times. Maybe another replay was shown in which it was more obvious; if so, I missed it. And the T seemed awfully quick, though maybe Rutherford said the magic word or something.

Just saying that if the exact same thing happened with Sacar defending Powell in a game at SH, most of us would not be happy about SH's home cookin'.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #39 on: January 22, 2020, 07:53:25 AM »
I thought team played well and everyone made the best use of their particular strengths. Nice to get a win over a tough nosed team like The Johnnies. 
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #40 on: January 22, 2020, 08:00:25 AM »
When they STOP losing to crap opponents(like Providence) at home. Just because MU won these last 3(all games they were expected to win..I don't give a damn what vegas says) doesn't mean everything is okay. Let's see how they do in these next two road tests and get back to me then. Playing better?? Sure...but they didn't exactly play who's who of CBB in these last 3. That's the reality..just trying to make sure people understand that they did EXACTLY what everyone should have expected them to do these last 3...they still have to make up for the PC game somewhere.

They did. Nova

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #41 on: January 22, 2020, 08:11:23 AM »

I only saw one quick replay. To me, it looked borderline -- Rutherford got a piece of the ball and, as his momentum continued, might have touched Markus' wrist. We've all seen similar not called dozens of times. Maybe another replay was shown in which it was more obvious; if so, I missed it.

I agree that it was close, but I still think the guy fouled him. I also believe that every first-team All-American in the history of the game would get that call. Every single time.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #42 on: January 22, 2020, 08:14:12 AM »
Just because MU won these last 3(all games they were expected to win..I don't give a damn what vegas says) doesn't mean everything is okay.
LOL
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #43 on: January 22, 2020, 08:16:40 AM »
I only saw one quick replay. To me, it looked borderline -- Rutherford got a piece of the ball and, as his momentum continued, might have touched Markus' wrist. We've all seen similar not called dozens of times. Maybe another replay was shown in which it was more obvious; if so, I missed it. And the T seemed awfully quick, though maybe Rutherford said the magic word or something.

Just saying that if the exact same thing happened with Sacar defending Powell in a game at SH, most of us would not be happy about SH's home cookin'.
IMO, you couldn't see it very well from the replay that they showed, but I thought he came down into Markus' body.  I agree that the touch on the wrist (if it was there at all) wasn't a foul, but I believe he landed going into Markus.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #44 on: January 22, 2020, 08:31:24 AM »
Not quite as vitriolic as guru, but basically we're just to be back to where we should be. But no real reason to get too excited about meeting expectations.

Friday's the first chance in a while for this team to get above expectations. Hopefully they do.

That’s fair. I think we’d all be happier debating how we get to a 15-3 record rather than wondering if we can get to 10-8.

However, I think this was a big 3 game stretch for the team. We were 1-3 dropping a home game we should have won and not being very competitive in our 2 road games.

We came out and won two games comfortably at home and beat Georgetown on the road. They aren’t top tier teams, but it was big for us to be able to take care of business.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #45 on: January 22, 2020, 08:32:30 AM »
I dont think he fouled Markus on the first play of the game. Although, the refs made up for that shortly thereafter, when he did foul Markus, and they swallowed their whistle.

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #46 on: January 22, 2020, 08:33:07 AM »

We kind of did have to go 3-0 in this stretch, otherwise it would of been an extremely deep hole to dig out of.  These last 3 games was an easy of a stretch as we get in this year's Big East.  Even a 2-1 record over our last 3 would of made it difficult to finish .500.  I'm happy we won all 3.  So yes there should of been angst.  Next, we play Butler twice and at Villanova in our next 5 games.  We have to win 2 out of our next 5 but 3 would put us in a good position.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #47 on: January 22, 2020, 08:54:22 AM »
They did. Nova

Wrong...that was a home game. The only way you make up for a crap home loss(although you never TRULY can), is by stealing one on the road that you probably aren't expected to..like @ Nova. There aren't really many chances left on the schedule to steal one they maybe shouldn't...regardless of what people here think. @ Butler Friday night..Maybe, but with the way they are playing, like they were expected to. @ Nova would be the one I point to.

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #48 on: January 22, 2020, 08:56:53 AM »

I expected to win all 3 of those games, and we won them. Our Warriors are 9-1 at home, so we haven't lost to crap opponents -- plural -- at home this season. We lost 1 home game, by 1 point, in OT, to a conference rival that has a very good coach and several talented players. Oh, and BTW, that "crap opponent" beat Shaka -- Scoop's choice as Coach of the Century -- by 22 points.

I agree our last 3 wins weren't over the greats of the game. Nevertheless, those 3 have victories this season over West Virginia, Arizona, TCU, Missouri, UConn, Cincinnati and Texas, as well as numerous nail-biter losses. Any win is a good win, any conference win is worth celebrating.

Do you even watch or follow college basketball? Are you aware that Kentucky lost at home to Evansville; Duke lost at home to SF Austin; Virginia lost at home to South Carolina, Syracuse and NC State; UNC lost at home to Clemson for the first time in nearly 100 years; etc etc etc?

Those losses don't make it "OK" for our Warriors to lose at home, they are just a dose of reality: Teams lose at home sometimes -- even good teams, even some great teams, even bluebloods coached by Hall of Famers. That's college basketball today. If you are gonna lose your shyte every time your favorite team doesn't win a game, I worry about your long-term health.

For the life of me, guru, I don't know why you can't just enjoy a 3-game Big East winning streak.

Hey, you haven't answered the question I posed in a different thread about your favorite topic: expectations. Here it is again, edited and shortened:

Curious, guru ... we have 11 games left in the regular season. How many do you expect us to win?

I'll go first ...

Barring some catastrophic injury to a key player, I will go into each game expecting us to win it. And I mean it. I think we are good enough to win at Nova, at Butler, SH at home, etc, etc, and I will expect victories.

However, as I look at the big picture, I am realistic enough to know that we almost surely will not go 11-0. We will have a really bad shooting game, or we will turn the ball over too often, or we will miss a couple big FTs, or Wojo will mess up, or players won't execute a perfectly good play, or the refs will blow a game-changing call. Or -- and I know this is a particularly difficult concept for some fans, because it actually gives credit to the other well-paid coach and the other talented athletes -- the opponent simply will play really, really well against us.

But as I sit here today and look at this game and that game and the other game, in and of itself, I fully expect us to win.

And if we don't win, I will be ticked off ... but I will not be all "We might never win another game" ... "Koby is the worst" ... "Markus is a cancer" ... "Theo is bad at basketball" ... "We suck without the Hausers," etc. And I also will not be all "Fire Wojo!" ... partly because I don't think he should be fired, but also because I know he won't be fired, so it would be wasted energy.

Enjoy 3-game Big East winning streaks! We Are Marquette!!!

muguru

• All American
« Reply #49 on: January 22, 2020, 08:58:15 AM »

You got it...although I personally think they are still 1-2 games below where they SHOULD be

feedback