[Today at 07:22:54 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 07:02:21 AM]

Dallas bars tonite by Marquette Gyros
[Today at 06:59:41 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Jay Bee
[Today at 06:42:08 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: 14-5  (Read 18718 times)

🏀

• All American
Re: 14-5
« Reply #50 on: January 22, 2020, 09:03:47 AM »
You got it...although I personally think they are still 1-2 games below where they SHOULD be

I think they're 3 games away from where they SHOULD be. Undefeated every year.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #51 on: January 22, 2020, 09:05:03 AM »
And unscored on.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #52 on: January 22, 2020, 09:07:50 AM »

We are talking about DAYTON, right?

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #53 on: January 22, 2020, 09:19:57 AM »
Thought we played a really good team game last night.  Other than Brendan, feel each guy pretty much played to their peak potential/optimum skill set.  Took care of business at home as we should have, but can't take any wins for granted.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #54 on: January 22, 2020, 09:26:13 AM »

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #55 on: January 22, 2020, 09:45:32 AM »
When they STOP losing to crap opponents(like Providence) at home. Just because MU won these last 3(all games they were expected to win..I don't give a damn what vegas says) doesn't mean everything is okay. Let's see how they do in these next two road tests and get back to me then. Playing better?? Sure...but they didn't exactly play who's who of CBB in these last 3. That's the reality..just trying to make sure people understand that they did EXACTLY what everyone should have expected them to do these last 3...they still have to make up for the PC game somewhere.

You need to take a step back man.  You invest wayyyyyy too much into a bunch of 18-22 year olds playing with a ball. 
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #56 on: January 22, 2020, 10:04:46 AM »
I only saw one quick replay. To me, it looked borderline -- Rutherford got a piece of the ball and, as his momentum continued, might have touched Markus' wrist. We've all seen similar not called dozens of times. Maybe another replay was shown in which it was more obvious; if so, I missed it. And the T seemed awfully quick, though maybe Rutherford said the magic word or something.

Just saying that if the exact same thing happened with Sacar defending Powell in a game at SH, most of us would not be happy about SH's home cookin'.
the replay showed definite contact on shooting forearm that prevented full follow through on the release of the shot.  Obvious contact that should be a foul every time. 

He got a technical because he acted like a jag after every call against him. 

fjm

• All American
« Reply #57 on: January 22, 2020, 10:06:03 AM »
Good game by all.

Bailey played well despite some of his poor shooting. Had a few blocks I thought.

Next game up! Let’s win the ones we need to and try to steal a couple.

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #58 on: January 22, 2020, 10:08:04 AM »

Nice! I can't tell if that's a PBR or Old Milwaukee.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #59 on: January 22, 2020, 10:24:33 AM »
You got it...although I personally think they are still 1-2 games below where they SHOULD be

I know I'm going to regret this but what is the other game aside from Providence that they "should" have won?  Yes, we've gotten our butts kicked a few times, which is extremely frustrating, but losses on the road to Wisconsin, Creighton and Seton Hall and a neutral court loss to Maryland are hardly unexpected. 

muguru

• All American
« Reply #60 on: January 22, 2020, 10:26:43 AM »

Responses like this are ridiculous, unfortunately all too common here. Your expectations are your expectations, someone else's are someone else's and mine are mine. Just because you may not have the same, doesn't mean mine are wrong. In fact, I would say, by and large(there are others here), my expectations are reasonable, whereas most others are too low. But that's what makes it different and nothing wrong with that.

Listen, let me be perfectly clear...MY expectations(not yours or anyone else's) are that they keep the losing at home to a minimum as in very infrequently, and that they don't lose to teams they should beat. Period. That's it. it starts with that. Very minimal expectations. I don't give a damn what else happens around college BB. It is completely irrelevant to me. I expect more out of MU.

People say all the time "well look what else is happening around CBB" or "so and so just lost at home to xxx". So if a bunch of your buddies go jump off a bridge, should you go do it to?? Or if you do something you aren't supposed to and when asked why, is the response going to be "well, look at what so and so did! Everyone else is doing it, why can't I"??
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #61 on: January 22, 2020, 10:31:11 AM »
I know I'm going to regret this but what is the other game aside from Providence that they "should" have won?  Yes, we've gotten our butts kicked a few times, which is extremely frustrating, but losses on the road to Wisconsin, Creighton and Seton Hall and a neutral court loss to Maryland are hardly unexpected.

Certainly should NOT have lost to UW, and the Creighton loss if iffy to me. Going in really didn't think they would lose that game. Certainly didn't expect them to get their doors blown off.

Maryland...ok, and maybe YOU and others EXPECTED to lose to Creighton and UW on the road..I did not. I still will never understand that whole "expect(ed)" to lose that game mentality. I don't know if it's a way for people to somewhat feel like it was okay after they lose, or what the deal is with it. But to me you should never EXPECT to lose a game. understand that yes it COULD happen on any given day, but to expect it?? To me, that's backwards.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #62 on: January 22, 2020, 10:32:59 AM »
Things must be going pretty well if Sacar scores 21 points (tied for second-most of his career) while shooting 4-11 from beyond the arc (36.4%, better than Markus) and fans are hoping he could hit a "few more" open threes.

Three straight solid team efforts. Well done. But Marquette faces one of the toughest stretches of the season during the next 5 games (rankings and projected win percentages per KenPom):

@ #15 Butler (29%)
  @ #59 Xavier (50%)
  #54 DePaul (72%)
  #15 Butler (54%)
  @ #19 Villanova (34%)

Three road games. (Villanova is undefeated at home this season, Butler's only home loss is against #11 Seton Hall.) Three games against teams ranked in the NET Top 20. A tremendous challenge, for sure. But also a tremendous opportunity.

A 2-3 record won't be the end of the world, but would put us at 16-8 (6-6 in the Big East) -- right back in the middle of the pack, with work to do just to make the NCAA tournament.

Go 3-2 and we're 17-7 (7-5), which essentially maintains the status quo. We'd still be among the top 4 teams in the Big East with an outside chance at a conference title, looking ahead to a likely NCAA seed somewhere in the 6 to 8 range.

If MU manages to go 4-1, that would be a big statement. We'd be 18-6 (8-4 in the Big East) with at least 3 wins against Top 20 teams -- which would help us climb the conference standings, significantly improve our NET ranking and put us in the running for a higher seed.

Whatever the outcome, we should learn a lot about this team in the next few weeks.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #63 on: January 22, 2020, 10:36:58 AM »
Some thoughts about last night:

1) I was impressed by the way every time we were challenged, we rose to the occasion. When St. John's closed the gap to two points in the second half, we went on a 7-0 run. We were stirred but not shaken. That's a credit to our senior and junior leadership.

2) We found the open man throughout the game. Yes, the shots didn't always go down and Yes, Markus had an unworldly amount of points, but the passing was generally crisp and the open guy shot. That's good coaching and something that comes with patience and court-smarts. Way to go Wojo!

3) Theo, could you please catch the ball? And, while you are at it, you and Jayce need to stop dribbling the ball when you get it inside. You guys are beasts. Take it to the basket and shove your guy down the hole with the ball if you have to. But everytime you put it on the floor, you get it batted away! Learn, dudes, learn!

4) Uh, Theo, your defense was spectacular!

5) That 2-3 zone at the end of the first half was masterful. The Johnnies had no clue what was coming! Again, good coaching and excellent scouting.

6) Loved the progression in reduced turnovers. That was their key to the game. We've come a long way since early in the season.

All told, I think the team is where we thought it would be right now. Like most posters, I was disappointed by Providence but delighted by Villanova. We beat that mangie mongrel down in Indianapolis on Friday and we'll be in great shape.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #64 on: January 22, 2020, 10:40:33 AM »
And the T seemed awfully quick, though maybe Rutherford said the magic word or something.

After the initial foul, Rutherford ran halfway down the court howling in protest. Thought the technical was entirely appropriate. There will always be questionable calls; that's part of the game. As a senior, Rutherford should know this. His reaction was waaayyyy overblown. I didn't hear it from where I was sitting, but chances are he also said something the ref found objectionable.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #65 on: January 22, 2020, 10:44:56 AM »
After the initial foul, Rutherford ran halfway down the court howling in protest. Thought the technical was entirely appropriate. There will always be questionable calls; that's part of the game. As a senior, Rutherford should know this. His reaction was waaayyyy overblown. I didn't hear it from where I was sitting, but chances are he also said something the ref found objectionable.

Yea. I forget if it’s college or NBA, but thought running away demonstratively was an automatic T.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #66 on: January 22, 2020, 10:55:55 AM »
Yea. I forget if it’s college or NBA, but thought running away demonstratively was an automatic T.

Must not be college or Wisconsin would never finish a game due to all their players being DQ’ed after multiple technicals.  ;D

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #67 on: January 22, 2020, 11:01:50 AM »
7. Yes, there were turnovers. SJU did what they do. On balance, I thought MU handled it decently. Solid B.

This is about the only point I disagree with you on, Tower.

I'll give St. John's credit for getting their hands on the ball. But they were also overcommitting on the double-team -- either on the perimeter or in the post -- and MU was consistently slow to recognize it and move the ball to the open man. (And there was always someone who was wide open.)

I'd like to have seen more plays like Markus made late in the second half when he drew at least four defenders on his drive and dished off for an easy bucket. Giving away 15 possessions and a 20.8% turnover rate (well above the team's season average) earns no better than a C- from me. Maybe even a D or D+. Plenty of room for improvement in this area.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #68 on: January 22, 2020, 11:20:59 AM »

I'll give St. John's credit for getting their hands on the ball. But they were also overcommitting on the double-team -- either on the perimeter or in the post -- and MU was consistently slow to recognize it and move the ball to the open man. (And there was always someone who was wide open.)

I'd like to have seen more plays like Markus made late in the second half when he drew at least four defenders on his drive and dished off for an easy bucket. Giving away 15 possessions and a 20.8% turnover rate (well above the team's season average) earns no better than a C- from me. Maybe even a D or D+. Plenty of room for improvement in this area.

St. John's created an average 18.5 turnovers per game in their first six Big East contests. Marquette committed 15 last night.
Sure, it could have been better, but a C- grade for a game in which St. John's was kept about 20 percent below their average seems pretty harsh.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #69 on: January 22, 2020, 11:26:02 AM »

There is always room for improvement.    To me, it never felt like SJU was controlling the game with their defense or causing a number of turnovers in a row.    Yep, Markus got stripped or had his shot blocked.   Yep, every time Jamal and Theo try to pass the ball to each other I hold my breath.    I expected SJU to cause turnovers with their defense.    They did.   But they didn't do it enough to dictate play.     
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #70 on: January 22, 2020, 11:32:39 AM »
Certainly should NOT have lost to UW, and the Creighton loss if iffy to me. Going in really didn't think they would lose that game. Certainly didn't expect them to get their doors blown off.

Maryland...ok, and maybe YOU and others EXPECTED to lose to Creighton and UW on the road..I did not. I still will never understand that whole "expect(ed)" to lose that game mentality. I don't know if it's a way for people to somewhat feel like it was okay after they lose, or what the deal is with it. But to me you should never EXPECT to lose a game. understand that yes it COULD happen on any given day, but to expect it?? To me, that's backwards.
So, you EXPECTED that we would be 18-1 at this point in the year? 

tower912

• All American
« Reply #71 on: January 22, 2020, 11:36:37 AM »
An odd expectation if you think Hausergate was catastrophic and Wojo can't coach.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #72 on: January 22, 2020, 11:37:44 AM »

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #73 on: January 22, 2020, 11:46:55 AM »
St. John's created an average 18.5 turnovers per game in their first six Big East contests. Marquette committed 15 last night.

Sure, it could have been better, but a C- grade for a game in which St. John's was kept about 20 percent below their average seems pretty harsh.

Good points. St. John's hounded Butler into 24 turnovers -- a 35.3 TO%! -- and the Bulldogs escaped New York with a 60-58 win. Against Seton Hall, SJU forced 19 turnovers (24.4 TO%) before falling to the Pirates 82-79.

Maybe I'm oversensitive to Marquette turnovers at this point in the season. But I do feel this team often digs holes for itself with poor ball movement and unforced errors. More consistency in taking care of the ball and on the defensive end will be key if we're going to contend for a Big East title.

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #74 on: January 22, 2020, 11:48:29 AM »
The team seems to be finding its identity now, and individual roles are solidifying. I think that's a big part of why we've had recent success and why the team is becoming more than just the Markus Howard show. (although it's pretty hard to ignore his recent stretch of impressive scoring) I was very worried about the impact of losing Ed and Greg at the same time, but the bench has responded very well. Id' say the subs are playing some of their best basketball of the year, which will be super important with this next stretch of games.