[Today at 11:00:09 AM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by BobWildLoyalist
[Today at 10:36:31 AM]

Banquet by muwarrior69
[Today at 08:43:40 AM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by MU82
[Today at 07:00:36 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Ed Morrow  (Read 68602 times)

NickelDimer

• All American
Re: Ed Morrow
« Reply #75 on: January 16, 2020, 08:22:35 AM »
Because we won't have 3 additional travels a game?

I liked Morrow but let's not pretend he was exactly a positive in most games this year. Liked him a lot more last year.
He was a contributor whether he lived up to expectations or not. That can’t be disputed.
No Finish Line

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #76 on: January 16, 2020, 08:23:52 AM »
In rhythm. No one close. Good shot.

Agree.  When a high major kid gets benched for essentially shooting a free throw, it speaks volumes.  Said it before and I'll say it again - if you aren't one of Wojo's chosen few guys, he'd be a hard guy to play for. 

Before those of you who are his strongest backers go off the ledge - You support Wojo suggesting he has room to grow as a coach - I agree.  An area where he needs to improve is to be more consistent in his approach to roles, playing time, and rotation.  He is far too emotionally reactive (benching) to "mistakes" his 4-11 players make, and this results in players playing tight, with an eroded confidence, which only exacerbates the problem.

Unfortunately, I don't think he's even aware of this.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #77 on: January 16, 2020, 08:24:35 AM »
I was very impressed with Ed's fight last season.  He is a supreme hustler/worker.  I love guys like that.  He hadn't been playing well that well this season, but it would be a real shame if his career at MU is over.  Your basic catch-22.  It is tough for guys like him to get comfortable and in rhythm when getting spotty minutes, but also tough to give more minutes to a guy who is not playing effectively in the minutes he is given.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #78 on: January 16, 2020, 08:25:14 AM »

Hit:  Carlino, Rowsey, Reinhardt

Miss:  Froling, Chartouney

Asterisk:  Wally (didn't play well but got us Henry)

TBD:  McEwen, Johnson

Not sure where I would put Ed.  He's pretty much the same player he was at Nebraska.  He just never really improved.

Because of injuries
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #79 on: January 16, 2020, 08:29:53 AM »
I'm perfectly fine with Wojo not being okay with Ed (or Theo or Jayce) taking 15-20 foot jumpers, even if they're wide open.  They're wide open for a reason, and we saw the reason with the result of the shot.  I'd expect Wojo to treat his "chosen guy" Theo the same way if Theo felt the itch to shoot the same type of shot.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

StillWarriors

• All American
« Reply #80 on: January 16, 2020, 08:35:41 AM »
While Ed’s contribution level varied from game to game, I don’t see any credible argument the team is not worse off without him being there and available. The depth and strength he could provide, even as the third option at the 5, were valuable assets in looking at the team as a whole even if on a game to game basis there were struggles. Theo and Jayce remaining “healthy” and able to stay in games with more minutes is now is a must. The safety net is gone.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #81 on: January 16, 2020, 08:38:28 AM »
Agree.  When a high major kid gets benched for essentially shooting a free throw, it speaks volumes.  Said it before and I'll say it again - if you aren't one of Wojo's chosen few guys, he'd be a hard guy to play for. 

Before those of you who are his strongest backers go off the ledge - You support Wojo suggesting he has room to grow as a coach - I agree.  An area where he needs to improve is to be more consistent in his approach to roles, playing time, and rotation.  He is far too emotionally reactive (benching) to "mistakes" his 4-11 players make, and this results in players playing tight, with an eroded confidence, which only exacerbates the problem.

Unfortunately, I don't think he's even aware of this.

Most of ur posts are so dumb that i simply read and shake my head.
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #82 on: January 16, 2020, 08:41:03 AM »
Tough to be the third string center as a 5th yr senior. Very very difficult role to accept
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #83 on: January 16, 2020, 08:49:34 AM »
I'm perfectly fine with Wojo not being okay with Ed (or Theo or Jayce) taking 15-20 foot jumpers, even if they're wide open.  They're wide open for a reason, and we saw the reason with the result of the shot.  I'd expect Wojo to treat his "chosen guy" Theo the same way if Theo felt the itch to shoot the same type of shot.

Ed's shooting ability is better than Theo/Jayce. Reports coming from practice said they had Ed practicing 3-point shots.  Ed thought he'd be a face up 4 when he transferred into Marquette. 

So a guy misses a wide open 15' shot?  Big F'in deal.  Markus Howard can miss countless 25' step back threes before even passing the ball to a teammate without getting benched. 

Ed and the other guys put in the same hard work, long hours, and commitment that the chosen ones do.  You don't yank a guy for missing that shot.  Bardo said it well last night - that all guys need to see the ball go through the hoop/be involved offensively - it helps them play better in all phases.

UWW2MU

• All American
« Reply #84 on: January 16, 2020, 08:50:37 AM »
Regardless of the reason he is out, I will miss Ed if he doesn't play for MU again.  To me he was always a great part of the Theo/Ed tandem that complimented each other so well and appeared to be a stand up guy.

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #85 on: January 16, 2020, 08:51:43 AM »
Most of ur posts are so dumb that i simply read and shake my head.

I take this as a supreme compliment.  I'd never want to be on the same page about anything with a guy of your "caliber."

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #86 on: January 16, 2020, 08:56:37 AM »
If Ed is really done, I wish him nothing but the best.   

Agree. He worked hard to get through his medical issues but it didn't work out to seashells and balloons. Here's hoping that that work ethic will help him in future endeavors.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #87 on: January 16, 2020, 08:56:53 AM »

Hit:  Carlino, Rowsey, Reinhardt

Miss:  Froling, Chartouney

Asterisk:  Wally (didn't play well but got us Henry)

TBD:  McEwen, Johnson

Not sure where I would put Ed.  He's pretty much the same player he was at Nebraska.  He just never really improved.

Hard to give him an absolute hit or miss, as he hasn’t been as productive as the three “hits” you listed, but has been better than Chartouny and Froling.

If you give the “hits” As or Bs and  the “misses” Ds or Fs, I’d give Ed a solid C.

Seems like he’d have been an A or B if he hadn’t been hit with the injuries.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2020, 08:58:32 AM by GooooMarquette »

MUWarrior4Life

• Team Captain
  • Pro Deo Et Patria
« Reply #88 on: January 16, 2020, 09:00:01 AM »
To all you terrible people trashing the guy without knowing what is going on ....

I like Ed and think our team is better with him.  I hope whatever the issue keeping from the team is not serious and he returns soon.
Word

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #89 on: January 16, 2020, 09:00:36 AM »
Ed's shooting ability is better than Theo/Jayce. Reports coming from practice said they had Ed practicing 3-point shots.  Ed thought he'd be a face up 4 when he transferred into Marquette. 

So a guy misses a wide open 15' shot?  Big F'in deal.  Markus Howard can miss countless 25' step back threes before even passing the ball to a teammate without getting benched. 

Ed and the other guys put in the same hard work, long hours, and commitment that the chosen ones do.  You don't yank a guy for missing that shot.  Bardo said it well last night - that all guys need to see the ball go through the hoop/be involved offensively - it helps them play better in all phases.

Ed Morrow played after he missed the jumper.  He missed it at the 4:22 mark of the first half and was out at the under 4 timeout.

He played in the second half.  He came in at 13:48 and played to 10:53 (the under 12 timeout)

There really isn't evidence that he was pulled because of the jumper.  And he played afterwards so I don't know what to say.  I think what is undeniable is that he fell to third in post minutes.  He's never really evolved into the 4 that people thought he would.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

f/k/a humanlung

• All American
« Reply #90 on: January 16, 2020, 09:05:26 AM »
What the hell does the guy expect? Hes a barely 6 foot 7 center. Cant shoot at all. Cant dribble. Slow. Not a great defender. Makes bad decisions. Did I mention very short and unathletic for his position. You just cant expect that much in reality.  None of our bigs are that good but they are 6.9 and 7.0 tall. Idk what else to say. Play better

Ed busted his @$$ while at MU.  Let's try to keep the player criticism to a minimum please.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2020, 09:09:12 AM by f/k/a humanlung »

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #91 on: January 16, 2020, 09:10:30 AM »

So you want Markus and Ed to be held to the same standard in terms of shot selection?

Good to know where you stand.  It explains a lot.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #92 on: January 16, 2020, 09:15:39 AM »

Ed Morrow played after he missed the jumper.  He missed it at the 4:22 mark of the first half and was out at the under 4 timeout.

He played in the second half.  He came in at 13:48 and played to 10:53 (the under 12 timeout)

There really isn't evidence that he was pulled because of the jumper.  And he played afterwards so I don't know what to say.  I think what is undeniable is that he fell to third in post minutes.  He's never really evolved into the 4 that people thought he would.

Yeah, this. There's zero evidence Ed was somehow being punished for missing a shot. Someone's spinning a narrative.
I get his frustration. I imagine he hopes to make a living on basketball somewhere after this, and he's not getting the minutes he probably believes he needs to catch the eye of pro scouts somewhere.
That said, based on performance, Ed's been getting the minutes he's earned.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #93 on: January 16, 2020, 09:17:20 AM »
Wishing Ed well. Not sure if he ever got enough minutes to show what he is as a player or not. I think Wojo gave the nod to Theo earlier on and he had an uphill battle. Not a rip on Wojo, many coaches latch up to certain guys for a wide range of reasons. That said, I would have latched onto Ed from day one.

Hey Goose.

Given that neither you nor I ever saw Morrow once at practice, I'm not sure how you could make an evaluation that it would have been better for Ed to get more minutes than Theo.

From what we have seen in games, Morrow and Theo are fairly similar offensively -- neither has range beyond a couple of feet, neither has great hands or feet, both often lose the ball when they dribble, neither has been a very good passer out of the post.

Both have been foul-prone.

Morrow has looked a little better as a rebounder, Theo has looked far superior as a rim protector.

Most of our very best games the last year and a half have been when Theo has avoided foul trouble. He has had stretches in which he was a dominant, intimidating shot-alterer, most recently against Nova. Ed has had a few good moments, too, most notably last season against Madison, but too few.

One thing I truly believe Wojo has done quite well has been managing playing time at the 5, starting with Luke and Heldt, all the way through this season with Theo, Ed and Jayce.

You certainly are free to disagree, and if you really do think the majority of minutes should have gone to Morrow, I'd be very interested to hear why. IIRC -- and I might not be recalling correctly -- you said not long ago that Jayce was the best of the 3.

And BTW, I say all of this having already gone on the record multiple times as saying I value what Ed can bring, and I hope somehow it works out that he returns to the team.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #94 on: January 16, 2020, 09:27:35 AM »

There really isn't evidence that he was pulled because of the jumper.

That, and Jayce played his ass off in that second half. Wojo needed to keep him out there.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #95 on: January 16, 2020, 09:31:30 AM »
MU82

My comment on Johnson being the best of the bunch was based off of conversations I had with several people I respect a great deal that watched him at practice. That was not firsthand knowledge on my part. That said, while he is extremely limited, IMO, he is a very good rebounder, especially on the offensive side of the court.

As for Ed, I saw zero in Theo going into last season and felt Ed was a more rounded basketball player. I put a great emphasis on guys that appear to be basketball players first, not just athletic. Would say that I was I never jumped on the Cain bandwagon. He is a great athlete, but not a high level basketball player. IMO, Ed gets the the game and is a far smarter player than Theo. I think one of the biggest things lacking in this years team is a lack of high IQ basketball guys. The Hausers were high level in that regard and it is missed a great deal.

Quick follow up to that, I think Bailey knows the game, Koby and Symir as well, which is a positive moving forward. No one likes athletic players more than me, but they need to be athletic basketball players.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #96 on: January 16, 2020, 09:36:35 AM »
MU82

My comment on Johnson being the best of the bunch was based off of conversations I had with several people I respect a great deal that watched him at practice. That was not firsthand knowledge on my part. That said, while he is extremely limited, IMO, he is a very good rebounder, especially on the offensive side of the court.

As for Ed, I saw zero in Theo going into last season and felt Ed was a more rounded basketball player. I put a great emphasis on guys that appear to be basketball players first, not just athletic. Would say that I was I never jumped on the Cain bandwagon. He is a great athlete, but not a high level basketball player. IMO, Ed gets the the game and is a far smarter player than Theo. I think one of the biggest things lacking in this years team is a lack of high IQ basketball guys. The Hausers were high level in that regard and it is missed a great deal.

Quick follow up to that, I think Bailey knows the game, Koby and Symir as well, which is a positive moving forward. No one likes athletic players more than me, but they need to be athletic basketball players.

Thanks for the thoughtful answer, Goose. We disagree somewhat on Theo -- though I know his limitations, he has had some outstanding performances, and not just against cupcakes, and I think he has earned his playing time -- but it's nice to be able to have civil conversations despite disagreements.

I am glad Wojo brought in Jayce. He is an outstanding rebounder, he hustles and he isn't afraid to show a bit of a mean streak.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #97 on: January 16, 2020, 09:40:57 AM »
So you want Markus and Ed to be held to the same standard in terms of shot selection?

Good to know where you stand.  It explains a lot.

I want a TEAM* that can rely on more than out of this world type of shooting performances in order to win.  Chemistry matters. 

And no, I don't think Ed should be shooting step back 25' threes.   8-)

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #98 on: January 16, 2020, 09:42:25 AM »
I want a TEAM* that can rely on more than out of this world type of shooting performances in order to win.  Chemistry matters. 

And no, I don't think Ed should be shooting step back 25' threes.   8-)
do you think last noght was an out of this world shooting performance? Or Purdue?

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #99 on: January 16, 2020, 09:49:12 AM »
He was a contributor whether he lived up to expectations or not. That can’t be disputed.

Plus Tax
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

feedback