[Today at 03:21:55 PM]

Banquet by tower912
[Today at 01:37:41 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 5th win over top 15 ranked teams in last one+ seasons?  (Read 13531 times)

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
5th win over top 15 ranked teams in last one+ seasons?
« on: January 04, 2020, 03:57:51 PM »
Someone can correct me if this is wrong for last year and this year thus far

Villanova
Buffalo
Kansas State
Villanova
Wisconsin

Maybe Painted Touches can write an article about that...

"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

f/k/a humanlung

• All American
Re: 5th win over top 15 ranked teams in last one+ seasons?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2020, 04:02:08 PM »
I think you are correct.  And this was a geat win, no doubt.

Too bad this isn't typical.  It would be much better if efforts like this weren't noteworthy.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2020, 04:03:36 PM »

Too bad this isn't typical.  It would be much better if efforts like this weren't noteworthy.

They are starting to become typical the past 2 years.

f/k/a humanlung

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2020, 04:05:53 PM »
They are starting to become typical the past 2 years.

So are blowout losses to teams that shouldn't blow us out.

Got to call it both ways.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2020, 04:06:36 PM »

Unfortunately it isn’t called both ways, and that is the point.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2020, 04:06:49 PM »

Absolutely. That's my biggest concern about Wojo as a coach.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2020, 05:37:50 PM »

It's our third win in this game in the last four years, so pretty typical.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

f/k/a humanlung

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2020, 05:47:52 PM »
It's our third win in this game in the last four years, so pretty typical.

We'd be in great shape if we played Villanova every game then.  Too bad that isn't the case.

It would also suck if we played St. John's every game since we've lost four of seven to them.  I guess that's a blessing.

And those two paragraphs sum up my point.  We beat good Villanova teams and loss to poor St. John's teams.  Well coached teams don't do that.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2020, 05:50:38 PM by f/k/a humanlung »

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2020, 05:50:55 PM »
We'd be in great shape if we played Villanova every game then.  Too bad that isn't the case.

It would also suck if we played St. John's every game since we've lost two of three to them.  I guess that's a blessing.

And those two paragraphs sum up my point.  We beat good Villanova teams and loss to poor St. John's teams.  Well coached teams don't do that.

Guess Roy forgot how to coach.

Huggins forgot how to coach last year.

K and Cal have home losses to terrible teams this year. Must’ve forgot how to coach for a few hours.

Good teams lose games they shouldn’t. It happens. Pros, college, high school, etc.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2020, 05:59:17 PM »

It would also suck if we played St. John's every game since we've lost four of seven to them.  I guess that's a blessing.

St. John's made the tournament last year. They were by no stretch a "poor team."
Villanova beat #1 Kansas two weeks ago and lost to unranked Marquette today. What's that say about the quality of their coaching?

f/k/a humanlung

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2020, 06:00:17 PM »

K and Cal have home losses to terrible teams this year. Must’ve forgot how to coach for a few hours.

Good teams lose games they shouldn’t. It happens. Pros, college, high school, etc.

Look at our track record under Wojo.  We're making a habit of losing games we shouldn't.  That's the problem.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2020, 06:01:24 PM »
St. John's made the tournament last year. They were by no stretch a "poor team."
Villanova beat #1 Kansas two weeks ago and lost to unranked Marquette today. What's that say about the quality of their coaching?

Never reason with a fool.

f/k/a humanlung

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2020, 06:03:47 PM »

St. John's was 21-13 last year, 8-10 in conference.  The year before, 16-17 and 4-14 in conference.  The year before that, 14-19 and 7-11.

That isn't a good team during the span I referenced.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2020, 06:05:28 PM »
Look at our track record under Wojo.  We're making a habit of losing games we shouldn't.  That's the problem.

MU is 11-0 in games it was favored this year.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2020, 06:07:23 PM »
St. John's was 21-13 last year, 8-10 in conference.  The year before, 16-17 and 4-14 in conference.  The year before that, 14-19 and 7-11.

That isn't a good team during the span I referenced.

So because St. John's was bad in 2017, Marquette should have beat them on the road in 2019.
Hard to beat that logic.

f/k/a humanlung

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2020, 06:09:01 PM »
MU is 11-0 in games it was favored this year.

I would hope so work the cupcakes we play early!

But when it comes to games that matter, like in March...

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2020, 06:10:22 PM »
I would hope so work the cupcakes we play early!

But when it comes to games that matter, like in March...

Wins over Purdue and Nova don't matter.
Got it.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2020, 06:11:36 PM »
Bray all you want, Wojo is staying.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2020, 06:17:56 PM »

You and about three other people think Wojo and Huggins, Coach K and Cal should be thought of as similarly accomplished coaches.

Wojo had a great game today. He deserves kudos for that. Speaking as a fan who was in favor of his modest contract extension he was given; he needs to add significantly to his resume to be given the benefit of the doubt that the coaches you referenced have earned.

Pointing to hall of fame coaches who lose a random game or a down year (after 20+ years)to defend Wojo is a very weak endorsement of Wojo. You could make a case for 150+ coaches to have jobs in the Big East with that logic.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2020, 06:20:44 PM »
Pointing to hall of fame coaches who lose a random game or a down year (after 20+ years)to defend Wojo is a very weak endorsement of Wojo. You could make a case for 150+ coaches to have jobs in the Big East with that logic.

This isn't even a defense of Wojo.  It's pointing out a ridiculous argument by a single member.  Especially as you said, Wojo & team had a great day today. 

Small Orange Soda

• Team Captain
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2020, 06:22:54 PM »
You and about three other people think Wojo and Huggins, Coach K and Cal should be thought of as similarly accomplished coaches.

Wojo had a great game today. He deserves kudos for that. Speaking as a fan who was in favor of his modest contract extension he was given; he needs to add significantly to his resume to be given the benefit of the doubt that the coaches you referenced have earned.

Yup.  Great win by Wojo, and he deserves credit for it, same as he deserved an absolute dousing for his game plan against Creighton.  We're now 1-1 in the Big East.  Where are we going to go from here? Hopefully shutting up anyone who doesn't believe in him.  If not, the chirping will continue.

f/k/a humanlung

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2020, 06:26:44 PM »
So because St. John's was bad in 2017, Marquette should have beat them on the road in 2019.
Hard to beat that logic.

Um...no.  Someone commented we beat Villanova in two of three, and that this is great.  I pointed out we lost four of seven to a poor St. John's team, and that isn't great. 

I made no reference to which team should have won where and during which year.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2020, 06:32:21 PM »
This isn't even a defense of Wojo.  It's pointing out a ridiculous argument by a single member.  Especially as you said, Wojo & team had a great day today.
Fair enough. I may have been trigger happy due to certain posters who believe Wojo is on a similar track to Coach K and Jay Wright. Which I wish was true but see very little evidence of.

As I said before, great game today for MU and Wojo. Really impressed how he got them to play defense after the Creighton game. Also hopeful with the class for next year. 

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2020, 06:44:48 PM »
Fair enough. I may have been trigger happy due to certain posters who believe Wojo is on a similar track to Coach K and Jay Wright.. Which I wish was true but see very little evidence of.

As I said before, great game today for MU and Wojo. Really impressed how he got them to play defense after the Creighton game. Also hopeful with the class for next year.
Your reading comprehension is very very bad. Nobody has ever said this.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2020, 07:06:45 PM »
Fair enough. I may have been trigger happy due to certain posters who believe Wojo is on a similar track to Coach K and Jay Wright. Which I wish was true but see very little evidence of.

I don’t think anyone says that.  When other coaches are brought up it is to show even AP Coach of the decade, National Title coaches, HOF coaches with BETTER teams lose these games, but when Wojo loses them people call for his head....when these guys lose them it’s just basketball.