[Today at 03:21:55 PM]

Banquet by tower912
[Today at 01:37:41 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 5th win over top 15 ranked teams in last one+ seasons?  (Read 13532 times)

Small Orange Soda

• Team Captain
Re: 5th win over top 15 ranked teams in last one+ seasons?
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2020, 07:34:00 PM »
Your reading comprehension is very very bad. Nobody has ever said this.

Of course they have.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2020, 07:34:31 PM »
I don’t think anyone says that.  When other coaches are brought up it is to show even AP Coach of the decade, National Title coaches, HOF coaches with BETTER teams lose these games, but when Wojo loses them people call for his head....when these guys lose them it’s just basketball.

I think the difference is, Coach K, Jay Wright etc, have EARNED the right to lose some WTF games once in awhile because of all they have accomplished. Wojo hasn't earned that right yet.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2020, 07:39:49 PM »
Um...no.  Someone commented we beat Villanova in two of three, and that this is great.  I pointed out we lost four of seven to a poor St. John's team, and that isn't great. 

I made no reference to which team should have won where and during which year.

I can't imagine living such a joyless existence that I would come to a Marquette page after a significant win and spend the day pissing and moaning.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2020, 07:42:26 PM »
I think the difference is, Coach K, Jay Wright etc, have EARNED the right to lose some WTF games once in awhile because of all they have accomplished. Wojo hasn't earned that right yet.

Wait, all coaches are going to lose WTF games (as evidenced by the greats), but you have to earn the right to lose those?  :o

Listen, there are plenty that think Wojo isn't the guy (some would fire him last year, some willing to wait and see), lots that think he's shown enough to keep coaching at Marquette, and approximately zero that say he's going to be like K or Wright.  Many hope he becomes like those guys.  Some say there's no chance - which may be true, but isn't a fact.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2020, 07:45:54 PM »

Then don’t say, “Well coaches teams don’t get blown out/don’t lose to teams they shouldn’t.”  They do. The only way you can possibly debate this is if your argument is there has never been a coach in the history of college basketball that has had well coached teams.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2020, 07:47:25 PM »

That may be the case, but it still remains illogical.  End of the day, I don’t care how great a coach you are there will be losses that are out of one’s control.  I cannot recall which a HOF coach said it, but something to the extent that coaches influence about 10 to 15% of the outcome.  Players play, they make shots, turnovers, smart and bonehead plays.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2020, 07:49:52 PM »
Of course they have.
Not they have not. Learn to read. Don’t be blinded by your irrational hatred

f/k/a humanlung

• All American
« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2020, 07:51:54 PM »
I can't imagine living such a joyless existence that I would come to a Marquette page after a significant win and spend the day pissing and moaning.

I believe in consistency.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2020, 07:53:34 PM »
I maintain that Wojo is Crean without Wade.   Crean had terrible games.   Buzz had terrible games and people wanted him fired after each and every one.  Deane, KO, terrible games.  Dukiet just stunk.   At the MSU Duke elite 8 game, I heard Duke fans say that the game has passed K by, that he didn't let Zion touch the ball enough.   Fans are fickle and frequently stupid after losses.
   Wojo will lose more games.   But he is on pace to win 100 games in years 2-6.   Marquette would be fools to fire a scandal free coach with that record.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2020, 07:54:10 PM »
Then don’t say, “Well coaches teams don’t get blown out/don’t lose to teams they shouldn’t.”  They do. The only way you can possibly debate this is if your argument is there has never been a coach in the history of college basketball that has had well coached teams.

Sure they do, I have never disputed that...but let's be honest, it has happened more with Wojo Coached teams the last 6 years then it has happened with Coach K etc probably in the last 10.

All I keep thinking about was Wojo's first year losing to Omaha AT HOME. That was NOT a good way to start your tenure.

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

f/k/a humanlung

• All American
« Reply #35 on: January 04, 2020, 07:56:31 PM »
I maintain that Wojo is Crean without Wade.   Crean had terrible games.   Buzz had terrible games and people wanted him fired after each and every one.  Deane, KO, terrible games.  Dukiet just stunk.   At the MSU Duke elite 8 game, I heard Duke fans say that the game has passed K by, that he didn't let Zion touch the ball enough.   Fans are fickle and frequently stupid after losses.
   Wojo will lose more games.   But he is on pace to win 100 games in years 2-6.   Marquette would be fools to fire a scandal free coach with that record.

I could be wrong on this but isn't that very close to Mike Deane's record when he got axed?

muguru

• All American
« Reply #36 on: January 04, 2020, 07:56:51 PM »

That may be the case, but it still remains illogical.  End of the day, I don’t care how great a coach you are there will be losses that are out of one’s control.  I cannot recall which a HOF coach said it, but something to the extent that coaches influence about 10 to 15% of the outcome.  Players play, they make shots, turnovers, smart and bonehead plays.

This is 100% true. It is mostly the players that control the outcomes. And players are human. That being said it IS the Coach's. responsibility to put those players in the best possible position to minimize missed shots, turnovers etc. It's never going to be perfect admittedly. But, I personally don't believe that has always been done in Wojo's tenure.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #37 on: January 04, 2020, 07:58:02 PM »
bUt We LoSt To CrEiGhToN bY a LoT!

tower912

• All American
« Reply #38 on: January 04, 2020, 08:00:23 PM »
I could be wrong on this but isn't that very close to Mike Deane's record when he got axed?
Deane had just gone .500, had a recruiting class of Krunti Hester coming in, and had said publicly that MU should be content with the NIT mixed with the occasional NCAA bid.   But, yes, thanks to a lot of KO's recruits, along with Hutchins and Wardle and the ability to win 46-44 games, Deane won 100 games.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

Small Orange Soda

• Team Captain
« Reply #39 on: January 04, 2020, 08:02:40 PM »
Not they have not. Learn to read. Don’t be blinded by your irrational hatred

Shrug.  I have no 'irrational hatred' and I'm literate.  It certainly wasn't anyone critical of Wojo that tossed out comparisons to Coach K or Wright to defend Wojo. The expiration date on that has passed so we haven't seen much of that lately.  The critical folks haven't demanded we go back to the Al days either, but everyone accuses them of wanting to be a blue blood anyway.  Oh well.

StateStreetMission

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #40 on: January 04, 2020, 08:03:02 PM »

Some people are the “glass is half empty” type

All the bloviating this past week on both sides has been ponderous

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #41 on: January 04, 2020, 08:08:11 PM »
Virtually every team loses games they are not "supposed" to lose each year. With the likes of Kansas, Kentucky, Duke, UNC, UCLA, Ohio St. included. The list goes on. MU is no exception. Even some of these blue bloods miss the tournament each year. Some of ya'll just can't help but talk crap even after a great win. Maybe save it for a few days.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #42 on: January 04, 2020, 08:08:49 PM »
Deane had just gone .500, had a recruiting class of Krunti Hester coming in, and had said publicly that MU should be content with the NIT mixed with the occasional NCAA bid.   But, yes, thanks to a lot of KO's recruits, along with Hutchins and Wardle and the ability to win 46-44 games, Deane won 100 games.

But wait...Even though Deane said that, isn't that what we have gotten under Wojo, and NIT and occasional NCAA bids(with no wins)?? I mean Chicos has stated many times that this is acceptable.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #43 on: January 04, 2020, 08:14:04 PM »
But wait...Even though Deane said that, isn't that what we have gotten under Wojo, and NIT and occasional NCAA bids(with no wins)?? I mean Chicos has stated many times that this is acceptable.
Krunti Hester v Garcia, Lewis, Oso.   Trend line.

NWarsh

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #44 on: January 04, 2020, 08:15:42 PM »
Shrug.  I have no 'irrational hatred' and I'm literate.  It certainly wasn't anyone critical of Wojo that tossed out comparisons to Coach K or Wright to defend Wojo. The expiration date on that has passed so we haven't seen much of that lately.  The critical folks haven't demanded we go back to the Al days either, but everyone accuses them of wanting to be a blue blood anyway.  Oh well.

There is being able to read the actual words and then there is being able to comprehend what those words are saying. Again those example are not meant to say Wojo is as good as K or Wright. They are meant to show that even as young coaches the greats sometime struggled. Nobody knows if Wojo will turn out to be great or the worst coach in NCAA history. All I do know is programs that are not patient with coaches they truly believe in will never end up with a Coach K or Wright.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #45 on: January 04, 2020, 08:18:30 PM »

Anyone who paid attention to the end of the Deane era wouldn't be making this comparison.  At least not honestly so.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #46 on: January 04, 2020, 08:22:16 PM »
There is being able to read the actual words and then there is being able to comprehend what those words are saying. Again those example are not meant to say Wojo is as good as K or Wright. They are meant to show that even as young coaches the greats sometime struggled. Nobody knows if Wojo will turn out to be great or the worst coach in NCAA history. All I do know is programs that are not patient with coaches they truly believe in will never end up with a Coach K or Wright.
You get it. Orange soda does not an probably never will. Too bad

Small Orange Soda

• Team Captain
« Reply #47 on: January 04, 2020, 08:27:45 PM »

Sure.  There are so many more apt comparisons to coaches who have won zero tournament games in five years and got canned to counter those guys though.  They're the outliers.  The comparison was always idiotic, and hopefully it's retired now.  Folks can preach patience until the end of time.  Hopefully this year is the one Wojo turns it around.  Today's win was a good start. Go MU!

Small Orange Soda

• Team Captain
« Reply #48 on: January 04, 2020, 08:30:20 PM »
You get it. Orange soda does not an probably never will. Too bad

We haven't won an NCAA tournament game in five years.  Trust me, I feel pretty safe in my assessment of Wojo's tenure thus far.  Hopefully he turns it around.

oldwarrior81

• All American
« Reply #49 on: January 04, 2020, 08:30:27 PM »

feedback