Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 5th win over top 15 ranked teams in last one+ seasons?  (Read 13538 times)

muguru

• All American
Re: 5th win over top 15 ranked teams in last one+ seasons?
« Reply #50 on: January 04, 2020, 08:38:56 PM »
Anyone who paid attention to the end of the Deane era wouldn't be making this comparison.  At least not honestly so.

Oh I was paying attention...and I have said, even though I am NOT a Wojo supporter, that because of the recruiting class coming in, he has earned a bit of a longer leash with me. That being said, I still wish people wouldn't automatically assume that getting rid of Wojo means the recruiting class leaves. It all depends on who would be brought in. There's been examples of recruits staying at schools plenty of times when a new coach is brought in.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #51 on: January 04, 2020, 08:40:38 PM »
We haven't won an NCAA tournament game in five years.  Trust me, I feel pretty safe in my assessment of Wojo's tenure thus far.  Hopefully he turns it around.
Nice shift

Small Orange Soda

• Team Captain

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #53 on: January 04, 2020, 08:56:42 PM »
We haven't won an NCAA tournament game in five years.  Trust me, I feel pretty safe in my assessment of Wojo's tenure thus far.  Hopefully he turns it around.

Actually 6 years...Buzz couldn’t get us in the tournament his last year cuz “he wasn’t trying”.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #54 on: January 04, 2020, 09:03:59 PM »
Actually 6 years...Buzz couldn’t get us in the tournament his last year cuz “he wasn’t trying”.
This is a ridiculous statement. We lost several games in overtime against a very tough schedule with a starting back court of Thomas and D. Wilson.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #55 on: January 04, 2020, 09:05:30 PM »
Chco's probably should have tealed that part.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Small Orange Soda

• Team Captain
« Reply #56 on: January 04, 2020, 09:09:23 PM »

True.  I think Buzz did a crap job his last year instead of 'not trying', but I was just talking about Wojo's tenure.  So Buzz's last year plus Wojo's career.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #57 on: January 04, 2020, 09:19:56 PM »

Yep, Buzz couldn’t get it done all right. Only 8 NCAA tournament wins in 6 years. TC and Wojo have 5 wins between them in 14 years. But at least TC and Wojo were and are “trying”. We’ve got that going for us, which is nice.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #58 on: January 04, 2020, 09:36:11 PM »
Your reading comprehension is very very bad. Nobody has ever said this.
I guess you and I are reading two different MUScoops.com. I know I'm not the only one who has read this comparison multiple times in the past few years. I'll refrain from personal attacks like you feel the need to.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #59 on: January 04, 2020, 10:28:22 PM »
I know I'm not the only one who has read this comparison multiple times in the past few years.

You've read it wrong too.  I've only ever seen it to say those coaches weren't immediately successful, and that success doesn't always come immediately.  I've never seen anyone say we've got the next great coach on our hands.  Only that it's still possible he gets there.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2020, 10:31:37 PM by rocky_warrior »

Small Orange Soda

• Team Captain
« Reply #60 on: January 04, 2020, 10:35:52 PM »
You've read it wrong too.  I've only ever seen it to say those coaches weren't immediately successful, and that success doesn't always come immediately.  I've never seen anyone say we've got the next great coach on our hands.  Only that it's still possible he gets there.

Okay, now what?

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #61 on: January 04, 2020, 10:40:15 PM »

Small Orange Soda

• Team Captain
« Reply #62 on: January 04, 2020, 10:45:15 PM »
?

Let's fight!

Positions!

There are few coaches who start out poorly and figure it out.  Most end up getting fired.  I don't understand what makes Wojo one of the lucky few. I'm certainly hoping he's one of them.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #63 on: January 04, 2020, 10:49:18 PM »
I mean - he's doing pretty well, not sure what you view as so "lucky".

I also have doubts about him getting to "legendary" status.  Though I hope he does.  I think he'll generally have a winning team, and be in the NCAA tournament more years than not. 

Small Orange Soda

• Team Captain
« Reply #64 on: January 04, 2020, 11:06:20 PM »
I mean - he's doing pretty well, not sure what you view as so "lucky".

I also have doubts about him getting to "legendary" status.  Though I hope he does.  I think he'll generally have a winning team, and be in the NCAA tournament more years than not.

Well, he's been a single digit seed in the tourney once, and that was the year he couldn't get his locker room in order and got blasted by a mid major who got blasted in the next round.  Certainly not lucky.

But I agree, he'll generally be in the NCAA tournament.  I'm not a 'Fire Wojo!' guy.  I'm more of a 'We're stuck in no-man's land with Wojo' guy.  He'll have more wins like today, for sure. And I credit him for that.  But 5+ years in, what you see is what you get.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #65 on: January 05, 2020, 01:10:34 AM »
This is a ridiculous statement. We lost several games in overtime against a very tough schedule with a starting back court of Thomas and D. Wilson.

I repeated what some posters here have said here about Buzz’s last year.  He wasn’t trying or he was sticking it to the administration....that is why I put it in quotes because of how absurd it is.  Ners can fill you in.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

1SE

• All American
« Reply #66 on: January 05, 2020, 03:21:19 AM »
This was a nice win. Creighton was a frustrating loss.  Ultimately in the end all that matters is winning in March. More winning now makes that more likely, but frankly I don't care if Wojo cuts down the nets as a 10 seed or a 1 seed.

He needs to win a tourney game. Once he does that I (and I think many others) might start to cut him a bit more slack. 6 years with 0 tourney wins doesnt cut it.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2020, 04:09:53 AM by 1SE »
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
  • "Seat belts On! We're Going For A Ride!"
« Reply #67 on: January 05, 2020, 03:26:13 AM »
While it's a decent win, one should also note that the #10 in front of Nova isn't quite accurate.  This is a rebuild year for Nova and with the extreme parity in college basketball, #10 this year is #25 from a stronger year.

Didn't catch the post game but did Wojo attend and did his voice enter out of Harmonious Sleep Mode?

WhoaJoe2020

• All American
« Reply #68 on: January 05, 2020, 04:10:29 AM »
There is being able to read the actual words and then there is being able to comprehend what those words are saying. Again those example are not meant to say Wojo is as good as K or Wright. They are meant to show that even as young coaches the greats sometime struggled. Nobody knows if Wojo will turn out to be great or the worst coach in NCAA history. All I do know is programs that are not patient with coaches they truly believe in will never end up with a Coach K or Wright.
Bingo Bingo Chicken Wingo !!!

1SE

• All American
« Reply #69 on: January 05, 2020, 04:10:50 AM »
While it's a decent win, one should also note that the #10 in front of Nova isn't quite accurate.  This is a rebuild year for Nova and with the extreme parity in college basketball, #10 this year is #25 from a stronger year.

Didn't catch the post game but did Wojo attend and did his voice enter out of Harmonious Sleep Mode?

Might want to update your tagline

"If you want to see a reenactment of Poland being invaded during WW2; just tune in anytime MU plays a ranked opponent."
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
  • "Seat belts On! We're Going For A Ride!"
« Reply #70 on: January 05, 2020, 04:23:15 AM »
Clearly, Wojo saw my tagline and that's what was needed to finally play strong.  I've now added a new tag line to get us motivated for the coming week.  Cross your fingers and hope it works!

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #71 on: January 05, 2020, 10:03:49 AM »

Ahh yes, the ranking now isn’t accurate but rather a typo or what is it?  There are no dominant teams this year and this Villanova team beat them number 1 Kansas just two weeks ago....supposedly that wasn’t accurate either.

I pity you.

fjm

• All American
« Reply #72 on: January 05, 2020, 10:41:26 AM »

Wait. Are we attacking Wojo‘s tone? Like do you just not like him as a person and therefore upset about his teams play?

I get it. I was pissed after Creighton. Pissed after many blow out losses. But it happens.

The problem more seems like you’re a 11 year old who is holding a grudge against someone who beat him in marbles so now you just don’t like anything Wojo does.

Get over it. Or grow up.

Or, don’t and just always be of the immature, sad mindset.

But one of those options leads to a better life, decreased risk of Alzheimer’s and Dementia.

fjm

• All American
« Reply #73 on: January 05, 2020, 10:44:21 AM »
Well, he's been a single digit seed in the tourney once, and that was the year he couldn't get his locker room in order and got blasted by a mid major who got blasted in the next round.  Certainly not lucky.

But I agree, he'll generally be in the NCAA tournament.  I'm not a 'Fire Wojo!' guy.  I'm more of a 'We're stuck in no-man's land with Wojo' guy.  He'll have more wins like today, for sure. And I credit him for that.  But 5+ years in, what you see is what you get.

5+ years in, what you see is what you get...

Ok this kinda sorta makes sense. From jobs to relationships etc.

On the other hand. There are many coaches who 5+ years rode a roller coaster and now have a solid program with yearly NCAA tourney teams/wins.

So I get the 5 year thing just don’t think it is end all-be all.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #74 on: January 05, 2020, 10:49:25 AM »

How was Al McGuire’s career 5 years in at Belmont Abbey?  What you see is what you get?