[Today at 06:22:07 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Nukem2
[Today at 04:02:06 PM]

Best case scenarios by Frenns Liquor Depot
[Today at 03:55:21 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[Today at 11:02:10 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: MU Coaching Candidates  (Read 162214 times)

shoothoops

• All American
Re: MU Coaching Candidates
« Reply #1175 on: March 01, 2021, 01:07:10 PM »

My favorite fact about Hamilton.

He was a 12 year assistant for Joe B. Hall at Kentucky.  He was on the bench when Hall's Kentucky team won the national championship over a pre-Coach K Duke team in 1978.

Outside of his one year in the NBA, he has been a college assistant or head coach for 50 years!

Gameday did a nice 5 minute segment on Leonard Hamilton this past weekend:

https://twitter.com/CollegeGameDay/status/1365729266336464899?s=19

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #1176 on: March 01, 2021, 01:13:52 PM »

My favorite fact about Hamilton.

He was a 12 year assistant for Joe B. Hall at Kentucky.  He was on the bench when Hall's Kentucky team won the national championship over a pre-Coach K Duke team in 1978.

Outside of his one year in the NBA, he has been a college assistant or head coach for 50 years!

I remember their Elite 8 run where I learned he’s actually 15 years older than I thought he was.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #1177 on: March 01, 2021, 01:23:55 PM »
He's the Horizon League coach of the year for the 2nd straight year. His team is the current Regular Season Horizon League Champion. He also has had several successful assistant coaching positions including multiple Power 5 stops. He has more of a track record than several names in these threads.

Gates to me seems like a great combo of pedigree, some proof of concept at the head coaching level, and high upside. I'd be very happy if he was coaching MU.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #1178 on: March 01, 2021, 01:27:43 PM »
The way Pat Kennedy threw around money would have made Sean Miller blush.

Q, Bobby Simmons and Lance Johnson -- ka-ching!

And yet DePaul's only postseason win during that trio's 3 years together was a first-round NIT victory over KO's mighty Northwestern squad.

He actually came to mind when someone asked me an opinion about Wojo a few years ago.  Kennedy certainly wins the title of doing less with more. 

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #1179 on: March 01, 2021, 01:30:08 PM »
Gates to me seems like a great combo of pedigree, some proof of concept at the head coaching level, and high upside. I'd be very happy if he was coaching MU.

MU alum as grad assistant, hey?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1180 on: March 01, 2021, 01:55:03 PM »
He actually came to mind when someone asked me an opinion about Wojo a few years ago.  Kennedy certainly wins the title of doing less with more.

To our knowledge, Wojo doesn't hand sacks of money to his recruits.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #1181 on: March 01, 2021, 02:09:16 PM »
To our knowledge, Wojo doesn't hand sacks of money to his recruits.

Sack agnostic.  I didn't say they were twins.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1182 on: March 01, 2021, 02:31:31 PM »
Sack agnostic.  I didn't say they were twins.

Fair enough.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #1183 on: March 01, 2021, 03:35:50 PM »

https://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/college/ct-loyola-ramblers-why-porter-moser-stayed-20191010-3emapjmq4bfflgdwi2xjecwg24-story.html

As much as I would like to see Moser at Marquette, this 2019 article from the Chicago Tribune makes that seem highly unlikely.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2021, 03:42:01 PM by Scoop Snoop »
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #1184 on: March 01, 2021, 03:43:56 PM »

https://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/college/ct-loyola-ramblers-why-porter-moser-stayed-20191010-3emapjmq4bfflgdwi2xjecwg24-story.html

As much as I would like to see Moser at Marquette, this article from the Chicago Tribune makes that seem highly unlikely.

Yeah if he were to change I'd place money it's to Depaul. But one tiny advantage we may have over SJU is if he does want to stay in the northern burbs of Chicago that's not a horrifically worse commute to MU than fighting traffic to get to Loyola so he wouldn't have to necessarily leave so much as deal with a longer distance commute but roughly same time.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2021, 03:45:28 PM by Galway Eagle »
Maigh Eo for Sam

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #1185 on: March 01, 2021, 03:53:40 PM »
Yeah if he were to change I'd place money it's to Depaul. But one tiny advantage we may have over SJU is if he does want to stay in the northern burbs of Chicago that's not a horrifically worse commute to MU than fighting traffic to get to Loyola so he wouldn't have to necessarily leave so much as deal with a longer distance commute but roughly same time.

He can take the El to work now.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #1186 on: March 01, 2021, 03:55:57 PM »
Personally, Moser wouldn't be in my top 10 coaching candidates if we had a vacancy. Maybe in my top 15-20.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

genious expert

• Team Captain
« Reply #1187 on: March 01, 2021, 04:01:37 PM »
And another coaching related twitter handle that Mike Broeker, Ben Steele and Justin Gainey all follow (plus Goodman, Dauster & Parrish) have him as plenty warm.

We'll see who is most dialed in, come April.

what's the handle? Or are you referring to @CoachingChanges?

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #1188 on: March 01, 2021, 04:04:45 PM »
He can take the El to work now.

I just assumed he lived on the north shore because he was golfing in libertyville. That's my bad if he doesn't.
Maigh Eo for Sam

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #1189 on: March 01, 2021, 04:06:04 PM »
what's the handle? Or are you referring to @CoachingChanges?

yes
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1190 on: March 01, 2021, 04:07:35 PM »
Personally, Moser wouldn't be in my top 10 coaching candidates if we had a vacancy. Maybe in my top 15-20.

I also would prefer a coach who has experience recruiting P6-level athletes to his school.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #1191 on: March 01, 2021, 04:08:04 PM »
I just assumed he lived on the north shore because he was golfing in libertyville. That's my bad if he doesn't.

The El goes to the North Shore. He literally lives two blocks from the station and it drops him off at the Gentile. Post-COVID, we would all love that commute.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2021, 04:09:49 PM by Dr. Blackheart »

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #1192 on: March 01, 2021, 04:09:29 PM »
The El goes to the North Shore. He literally lives two blocks from the station and it drops him off at the Gentile. Post-COVID, would all love that commute.

I always forget the purple goes out there. For some reason I permanently think it stops in Evanston.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #1193 on: March 01, 2021, 04:19:59 PM »

There are few jobs he would be interested in. MU might be one of them is my guess on the coconut wire. He is a defensive coach (#1 in country), close to Chicago AAU, and has a roster of JUCO and 4-year transfers. He has balanced classes and rebuilt a program from crapland, and built back quickly from a F4. And there might be a Jesuit discount on the buy-out.

He is very Catholic and he wants a BE job at some time. And the Rick ties are very strong with him. Question is school for his kids.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #1194 on: March 01, 2021, 04:25:26 PM »
Moser had a Final Four (yeah, it was an unusual set of circumstances, but still...) , has his team ranked and they play both ends of the floor very well. I like that they look so good on the court. I'm not getting the concerns regarding recruiting P6 prospects. Haven't many other mid major coaches adjusted quickly after getting a P6 position?

There has been talk about his long, relatively unproductive years yet some here then talk about the need for patience over years for coaches to grow into a higher level of performance. Seems to me this is a catch 22. Here and now, the guy looks good to me and has for several years.

Its very likely a moot point anyway after reading that article. I can see him doing well at DePaul if he wants that job.

Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1195 on: March 01, 2021, 04:33:21 PM »
There are few jobs he would be interested in. MU might be one of them is my guess on the coconut wire. He is a defensive coach (#1 in country), close to Chicago AAU, and has a roster of JUCO and 4-year transfers. He has balanced classes and rebuilt a program from crapland, and built back quickly from a F4. And there might be a Jesuit discount on the buy-out.

He is very Catholic and he wants a BE job at some time. And the Rick ties are very strong with him. Question is school for his kids.

I’m more bullish on him than I was after 2018 as he has stacked success on top of that season.  He has a very veteran team, so depending on who comes back next year, we can learn more about the staying power of Loyola in the Valley.

He took Loyola from the Horizon to the Valley, a step up (especially for them since they didn’t have a lot of Horizon success) and while they benefited from Wichita State moving on, they’ve filled the void nicely.  The league is not as good as it was a decade ago for sure but it’s still impressive his program has risen to the top.

Stylistically, his teams are grinders.  That’s a definite fear for me.  There could be a lot of ugly basketball as he implements his program.  I’m talking nights where 50 is a big mountain for the team to climb in regards to scoring.  I honestly think he’d be the front runner given his connections as a Majerus assistant. 

I don’t know how much his ties to Chicago basketball matter but I’m sure some would find that appealing.
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Viper

• All American
« Reply #1196 on: March 01, 2021, 04:35:40 PM »
No, Mike Deane only wanted Gates if he came with Q.  MU battled Kansas for the Q and looked to be winning when Q said no to Kansas.  It appeared like MU would get Cordell, Gates and Q...until DePaul dropped the bag.

Cordell would team up wit Jon Harris, Olouma Nmamaka & David Diggs to lead MU back to the NCAA in 2002.  From there MU would go on to appear in 10 of 12 NCAAs...all because of the foundation Mike Deane built.
the foundation Deane built? Liked him as a ‘coach’. (Wojo could use a Mike Deane-type) As a recruiter, Deane not so good. But, I’ll give him that he did win 100 games over 5 seasons...bad trend, however...and he was hilarious at the centennial.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #1197 on: March 01, 2021, 04:49:57 PM »

What the hell is "the coconut wire"?

Anyway, really enjoyed your post. The thing I am having trouble understanding is the fear that he cannot recruit on a P6 level. If so, hire an assistant from a P6 school to help get through the learning stage. I'm much more concerned at getting a coach who has proven that he can actually, well, COACH.

If we go the P6 assistant from another school to head coach at Marquette we could get a really good recruiter with absolutely no head coaching experience. Oh wait, wait! We've already done that.

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #1198 on: March 01, 2021, 05:07:28 PM »
Who's in your Top 10? (Assuming most are realistic)

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #1199 on: March 01, 2021, 05:19:14 PM »
What the hell is "the coconut wire"?

Anyway, really enjoyed your post. The thing I am having trouble understanding is the fear that he cannot recruit on a P6 level. If so, hire an assistant from a P6 school to help get through the learning stage. I'm much more concerned at getting a coach who has proven that he can actually, well, COACH.

If we go the P6 assistant from another school to head coach at Marquette we could get a really good recruiter with absolutely no head coaching experience. Oh wait, wait! We've already done that.

"Coconut wireless" is word of mouth gossip. The "coconut wire" is a take on the digital world.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.urbandictionary.com/define.php%3fterm=Coconut%2bwireless&amp=true

Porter recruits like Rick did and teaches them up. No different than Brad Stevens did at Butler (I was interested to hear that Jordan's freshman class was the highest rated in Butler's history).

feedback