[Today at 05:16:12 AM]

Shaka's 2023-2024 Season Accomplishments by 1SE
[Today at 03:36:17 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by WeAreMarquette96
[April 17, 2024, 11:14:56 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by withoutbias
[April 17, 2024, 10:44:37 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: MU Coaching Candidates  (Read 161529 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: MU Coaching Candidates
« Reply #1225 on: March 01, 2021, 11:01:09 PM »
As somebody who wants Wojo fired, I sure hope the BOT hears that Cam Marotta told somebody who told somebody who told Scoop that a bunch of unnamed Marquette players, who might or might not be any good at basketball, hate Wojo.

Because if that won’t get him fired, nothing will!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

onepost

• All American
« Reply #1226 on: March 01, 2021, 11:02:08 PM »
Also, regarding the narrative that has dominated this board for months on end, that poor little Marquette can't afford a buyout for Wojo, here's an article from Urban Milwaukee today:

https://urbanmilwaukee.com/2021/03/01/higher-education-will-mu-become-marquette-tech/

Here are the first two paragraphs:
"Marquette University has been rocked with controversy over budget cuts and faculty layoffs. The impact of COVID-19 and a projected decline in future student enrollment due to a declining birthrate have been used to justify dramatic cuts, as a story published by Urban Milwaukee reported. Faculty layoffs for next school year were projected to be as high as 225. Today the number has dropped to 39, but the changes may be more sweeping than the mere number of faculty.

The Marquette community is beginning to believe the justifications for budget cuts just don’t add up. Marquette will run a budget surplus next year, perhaps greater than the proposed cuts. Critics believe Marquette’s leadership is using the crisis as an opportunity to restructure the university while blaming the pandemic."

So...maybe we've been wrong this whole time.

MarquetteMike1977

• All American
« Reply #1227 on: March 01, 2021, 11:07:31 PM »
Not that it means much but a HS Head Coach In the area I was talking to today said he was not basing this on anything but said he would not be surprised if Wojo ended up at Boston College and Beilein ended up at Marquette he was guessing and just making conversation.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2021, 11:15:17 PM by MarquetteMike1977 »

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #1228 on: March 01, 2021, 11:07:49 PM »
I’m not reading too much into the “half the players can’t stand wojo” comment. Over half the players have had abysmal seasons and are hardly getting in the games. Would guess those are the ones who can’t stand him. The fact that the ones who likely “can’t stand” him aren’t even high major players to begin with is the bigger problem, IMO.

“Half the xxx” is way too overused a phrase for me to take it seriously.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #1229 on: March 01, 2021, 11:13:54 PM »
Guys were convinced to stay another season by people not named Steve Wojciechowski.

This is accurate. But again, not unusual for a guy to have a stronger bond with an assistant than the HC.

Stan did a lot of the heavy lifting to keep that group together following the collapse.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #1230 on: March 01, 2021, 11:41:15 PM »
Also, regarding the narrative that has dominated this board for months on end, that poor little Marquette can't afford a buyout for Wojo, here's an article from Urban Milwaukee today:

https://urbanmilwaukee.com/2021/03/01/higher-education-will-mu-become-marquette-tech/

"Marquette University has been rocked with controversy over budget cuts and faculty layoffs. The impact of COVID-19 and a projected decline in future student enrollment due to a declining birthrate have been used to justify dramatic cuts, as a story published by Urban Milwaukee reported. Faculty layoffs for next school year were projected to be as high as 225. Today the number has dropped to 39, but the changes may be more sweeping than the mere number of faculty.

The Marquette community is beginning to believe the justifications for budget cuts just don’t add up. Marquette will run a budget surplus next year, perhaps greater than the proposed cuts. Critics believe Marquette’s leadership is using the crisis as an opportunity to restructure the university while blaming the pandemic."

So because an article said that some people "think that justifications for budget cuts just don't add up"...with no proof that they don't add up...doesn't seem like the best piece of evidence.

Enrollment has been down for years. COVID happened. The population bubble bursting in the near future is still a thing. There's just a population of people in higher education that don't want to accept these realities and are holding on to how things have always been for dear life.

Budget surplus? These people are dreaming.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2021, 11:46:32 PM by TAMU Eagle »
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Royale

• Walk-On
« Reply #1231 on: March 02, 2021, 06:38:40 AM »
So because an article said that some people "think that justifications for budget cuts just don't add up"...with no proof that they don't add up...doesn't seem like the best piece of evidence.

Enrollment has been down for years. COVID happened. The population bubble bursting in the near future is still a thing. There's just a population of people in higher education that don't want to accept these realities and are holding on to how things have always been for dear life.

Budget surplus? These people are dreaming.

The "budget surplus" language comes from a surprise 3% margin instituted by the board of trustees in the fall. Prior, they had announced cuts were coming, and I believe Lovell used the language shrinking the university by 20%. With this in mind, the trustees required a new $12 million working margin with no specific earmarks, just a cushion.

That along with the shifting explanations--first, changing demographics; then, COVID; now, general direction of the university--has made people, namely faculty and staff, suspicious (along with an unavoidable crowd that would be mad at cuts no matter what).

I don't necessarily believe the university has ulterior motives, and, frankly, I give them credit for not trying to grow their way out of a problem. The writing was on the wall. The acceptance rates and total applications aren't there for Marquette to be the type of academic institution it wants to be with the number of students it was carrying.

And this is where it comes back to Wojo, or his successor. Were Marquette to get a big run or two from the basketball team, those applications (and academic credentials) would spike. This is the surest sign that academia is in a bad place. I like Wojo. I like the program he runs. I suspect the players like him a lot. I think they give him another year, but if they have the right guy in mind and things line-up, make it happen.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #1232 on: March 02, 2021, 08:36:13 AM »
Were Marquette to get a big run or two from the basketball team, those applications (and academic credentials) would spike. This is the surest sign that academia is in a bad place. I like Wojo. I like the program he runs. I suspect the players like him a lot. I think they give him another year, but if they have the right guy in mind and things line-up, make it happen.

This is interesting to me.  Does anyone know where I can find historical data on how many applications/admissions Marquette had each year?  I'd like to see how it correlates to the success of the basketball team.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #1233 on: March 02, 2021, 08:41:07 AM »
This is interesting to me.  Does anyone know where I can find historical data on how many applications/admissions Marquette had each year?  I'd like to see how it correlates to the success of the basketball team.

I know for sure there was a massive application spike after the Wade FF run, which in turn led to an increase in USNWR rankings. If they want an increase in applications, get the hoops team right. It will cost the University as a whole way more than the buyout to let this fester any longer.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #1234 on: March 02, 2021, 08:42:31 AM »
Pretty sure a final four is a considerable spike in applications and such whereas other runs aren't exactly eye popping. 
Maigh Eo for Sam

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #1235 on: March 02, 2021, 08:48:51 AM »
I know for sure there was a massive application spike after the Wade FF run, which in turn led to an increase in USNWR rankings. If they want an increase in applications, get the hoops team right. It will cost the University as a whole way more than the buyout to let this fester any longer.

Count me in that Final Four spike haha.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #1236 on: March 02, 2021, 08:51:26 AM »
Pretty sure a final four is a considerable spike in applications and such whereas other runs aren't exactly eye popping.

Yea, did we see any increase from the Buzz Sweet 16/Elite 8 runs? I’m sure it’s a nice little bump, but I don’t know if it’s something that can overcome the headwinds we are seeing now.

Royale

• Walk-On
« Reply #1237 on: March 02, 2021, 08:52:06 AM »

For my money, best source for academic info: https://nces.ed.gov/collegenavigator/

Not sure about historical figures; maybe IPEDS, https://nces.ed.gov/ipeds/

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #1238 on: March 02, 2021, 08:54:13 AM »

Hoo new? Covid blamed for everything. Wear have wee herd dat befour, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #1239 on: March 02, 2021, 09:29:36 AM »
@CoachingChanges is alluding to a major Big East coaching change that is on the way (and they specifically say, "and its not the loser you are thinking of at this point (Not Wojo,......yet)".  Again, the account is run by a number of D1 assistant coaches and/or former head coaches. 

Some of the other accounts are referencing Cooley might be on the move.  Would he take Boston College (he was a former assistant coach there a number of years ago)?  Seems foolish since he turned down Michigan.  Did BC somehow find a trunk of cash to help turn around its basketball program (in an era where so many schools are struggling financially and with enrollments)?  Would Providence then look to grab Richard Pitino (alum) in his place? 

Regardless, I anticipate a LOT of movement in the next four weeks, whether or not Marquette is involved or not.  Last year gave many coaches an extra year, and many other programs are using this transition year to make moves.  Will be fun to follow. 

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1240 on: March 02, 2021, 09:48:06 AM »
@CoachingChanges is alluding to a major Big East coaching change that is on the way (and they specifically say, "and its not the loser you are thinking of at this point (Not Wojo,......yet)".  Again, the account is run by a number of D1 assistant coaches and/or former head coaches. 

Some of the other accounts are referencing Cooley might be on the move.  Would he take Boston College (he was a former assistant coach there a number of years ago)?  Seems foolish since he turned down Michigan.  Did BC somehow find a trunk of cash to help turn around its basketball program (in an era where so many schools are struggling financially and with enrollments)?  Would Providence then look to grab Richard Pitino (alum) in his place? 

Regardless, I anticipate a LOT of movement in the next four weeks, whether or not Marquette is involved or not.  Last year gave many coaches an extra year, and many other programs are using this transition year to make moves.  Will be fun to follow.

The only "Major Major Major" (as they phrased it) change in the Big East would be Jay Wright leaving.  Willard and McDermott would be in the "big deal" category as I don't know how much better those programs could do.  UCONN would be a big deal if Hurley left, but they'll find somebody good if he leaves.  Otherwise?  I think every other program could in theory get an upgrade from any move.

They're either completely overstating the move or Jay Wright is leaving Nova, which I can't imagine giving he passed up the 76ers job just a few months ago.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #1241 on: March 02, 2021, 09:52:14 AM »
I doubt they have a set standard for the number of majors they use in a given tweet.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #1242 on: March 02, 2021, 09:55:27 AM »

He may just be more comfortable in the northeast.  Or maybe the situation at PC has gotten worse and now he is looking for a way out.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1243 on: March 02, 2021, 09:57:02 AM »

Hoo new? Covid blamed for everything. Wear have wee herd dat befour, hey?

I know, right? It affects virtually nobody.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #1244 on: March 02, 2021, 09:59:42 AM »

My guess is those FF spike levels were largely maintained with the success in the Old Big East vs. gaining additional spikes... the drop off has been seen during the Wojo malaise

Correlation may not be causation on the downturn and likely impossible to precisely quantify, but I've no doubt it's played a role

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #1245 on: March 02, 2021, 11:38:52 AM »
Take everything from @coachingchanges with a grain of salt.  It’s a lot less reliable than the crystal ball
Ramsey will bring Marquette great glory

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #1246 on: March 02, 2021, 11:56:49 AM »
My guess is those FF spike levels were largely maintained with the success in the Old Big East vs. gaining additional spikes... the drop off has been seen during the Wojo malaise

Correlation may not be causation on the downturn and likely impossible to precisely quantify, but I've no doubt it's played a role

It really does.  Smart kids who also pay attention to sports take that kind of thing into account especially when they are down to 2-3 schools to choose from.  I would say “sad but true” but I did it as well.  It makes your social experience better and that has a lot to do with the college experience. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1247 on: March 02, 2021, 12:07:15 PM »
I lived in Connecticut. I would have never even heard of Marquette if not for their basketball success.

I wear a Marquette sweatshirt, t-shirt and/or hat quite often when doing stuff around Charlotte, and I'd need way more than 2 hands to count the number of times people either thought I was wearing Michigan gear or that Marquette was in Michigan.

So I don't have too much trouble believing that what's happened since Hausershima has contributed to our enrollment woes. Obviously, so has the pandemic. Any attempt to guess the percentages of each would be just that IMHO - a guess.

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #1248 on: March 02, 2021, 12:19:44 PM »

He may just be more comfortable in the northeast.  Or maybe the situation at PC has gotten worse and now he is looking for a way out.
Not sure I believe Cooley actually turned down the Michigan job, but I'd be surprised if he left for BC, he can land a much better job than that.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #1249 on: March 02, 2021, 01:50:07 PM »
Take everything from @coachingchanges with a grain of salt.  It’s a lot less reliable than the crystal ball

that dude takes info from message boards.

Hoop Dirt is a good site, however.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

feedback