Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: MU Coaching Candidates  (Read 159654 times)

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
  • "Seat belts On! We're Going For A Ride!"
MU Coaching Candidates
« on: January 02, 2020, 12:25:11 PM »
Is there anyone you see out in the NCAA landscape that would be a great hire for the MU program to jump start it?  Please list below and why.

I believe a solid candidate that should be looked at is LaSalle's coach Ashley Howard.

He's been at the program since 2018 and is a former Jay Wright assistant.  Since arriving, Howard has jumped LaSalle over 80 spots in the recruiting rankings while exhibiting an excellent defensive profile in only his second year as coach.  If you watch LaSalle, you can immediately see how much more disciplined they are than any MU team Wojo has coached.  LaSalle's defense evokes hints of Buzz Williams rugged defense.  LaSalle displays continuity and gave a Villanova a run for their money early this season.  If Ashley Howard continues on this trajectory, he'll have formed a top 25 program that will eventually have a potential sweet 16 run in the tourney.  Keep an eye on him to see if the program continues to gain momentum.  The coaching fundamentals are all there.  The question is if he can recruit and develop - which takes about 3 years to begin to get a decent picture.  So far, Howard checks all of the boxes already being a better X's and O's coach than Wojo.

GoldenDieners32

• All American
Re: MU Coaching Candidates
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2020, 12:28:18 PM »
Shaka.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2020, 12:29:53 PM »
Maybe Anthony Grant.  He's made mistakes, failed and learned.  Seems to be rolling at Dayton.

My reality is there are not a ton of great coaches out there.  As much as TC bugged me, he was the right hire in 1999.  And the other 2014 candidates haven't lit the world on fire.  I guess it goes back to what Al used to say:

"If you have Buzz Williams on your sideline, it's sea shells and balloons, don't mess with happy, even if there are some cracked sidewalks"
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2020, 12:30:29 PM »
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2020, 12:30:58 PM »
Maybe Anthony Grant.  He's made mistakes, failed and learned.  Seems to be rolling at Dayton.

Dayton is his alma mater.  He's not leaving there for Marquette.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2020, 12:31:37 PM »
Is there anyone you see out in the NCAA landscape that would be a great hire for the MU program to jump start it?  Please list below and why.

I believe a solid candidate that should be looked at is LaSalle's coach Ashley Howard.

He's been at the program since 2018 and is a former Jay Wright assistant.  Since arriving, Howard has jumped LaSalle over 80 spots in the recruiting rankings while exhibiting an excellent defensive profile in only his second year as coach.  If you watch LaSalle, you can immediately see how much more disciplined they are than any MU team Wojo has coached.  LaSalle's defense evokes hints of Buzz Williams rugged defense.  LaSalle displays continuity and gave a Villanova a run for their money early this season.  If Ashley Howard continues on this trajectory, he'll have formed a top 25 program that will eventually have a potential sweet 16 run in the tourney.  Keep an eye on him to see if the program continues to gain momentum.  The coaching fundamentals are all there.  The question is if he can recruit and develop - which takes about 3 years to begin to get a decent picture.  So far, Howard checks all of the boxes already being a better X's and O's coach than Wojo.

Seriously?

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2020, 12:33:56 PM »
Dayton is his alma mater.  He's not leaving there for Marquette.

Chris Mack and Carolyn Krieger each think there's a chance. 
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2020, 12:34:55 PM »
Give me Wojo and the 2020 recruiting class over anything suggested here.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2020, 12:35:02 PM »
  ben mccollum-northeast missouri state

he's been killing it for the past 8 years down there   241-75 overall and goes to the show to sweet 16 and beyond for the past 6 years, winning it all 2 out of the past 3 years.  he wins!!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ben_McCollum
« Last Edit: January 02, 2020, 12:36:40 PM by rocket surgeon »
don't...don't don't don't don't

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2020, 12:37:58 PM »
Hologram Al.

Otherwise, I'm fine with Wojo and his incoming class.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2020, 12:40:14 PM »

he's been killing it for the past 8 years down there   241-75 overall and goes to the show to sweet 16 and beyond for the past 6 years, winning it all 2 out of the past 3 years.  he wins!!

Northwest Missouri.

And no, you don't hire a D2 coach to a P6 school.  Ask Missouri how that went with Kim Anderson.  Or ask people at UWGB how that's going with Linc Darner.

Really if you are going to look at an up and comer, look at Wardle.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2020, 12:40:43 PM »
Chris Mack and Carolyn Krieger each think there's a chance. 

Both upgraded their positions much greater than Grant would be doing coming here.

zcg2013

• Team Captain
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2020, 12:42:28 PM »
Coach K.

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2020, 12:43:33 PM »

My reality is there are not a ton of great coaches out there.  As much as TC bugged me, he was the right hire in 1999.  And the other 2014 candidates haven't lit the world on fire.  I guess it goes back to what Al used to say:

"If you have Buzz Williams on your sideline, it's sea shells and balloons, don't mess with happy, even if there are some cracked sidewalks"

I totally agree which is why I suggested Ashley Howard as a possibility.  I think there's a good chance he might become the next great coach as he displays many of the characteristics so far.  At this point it's a gamble but if he continues his trajectory then he will be the next hot coaching candidate in 1-2 years. 

Regardless, from what I've read, I'm not sure Buzz would have stayed anyways.  He's always wanted to head to Texas and had read that in 2010 he was motioning to move out of MU as the expectations were too great for him.

Agree on TC.  TC is making Georgia competitive.  MU needs to land a perennial top 25 coach.  That's what the program is and always will be.  I'm sure Brian Wardle will be mentioned but he hasn't impressed me with recruiting much. 

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2020, 12:43:44 PM »

Penn 75
LaSalle 59

Imagine losing by 16 to an Ivy League school.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2020, 12:48:02 PM »
If/when the job opens, gimme someone who has been in the big chair before.

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2020, 01:06:42 PM »
Penn 75
LaSalle 59

Imagine losing by 16 to an Ivy League school.

Penn's RPI is 32 though and they're a post season team.  Not to mention we're only in season 2 for LaSalle.  16 point loss in NCAA tourney would be Wojo's best showing yet....

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2020, 01:16:21 PM »
Penn's RPI is 32

RPI???

Try NET. Marquette #37, Penn #91.  Who is the tournament team?

You folks are crazy.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2020, 01:18:11 PM »
Penn's RPI is 32 though and they're a post season team.  Not to mention we're only in season 2 for LaSalle.  16 point loss in NCAA tourney would be Wojo's best showing yet....

RPI...I thought that died.  Penn is 107 in Ken Pom and 91 in the NET rankings.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2020, 01:18:33 PM »

Do not want to lose the 2020 recruiting class, then you are really starting over much like Wojo came into.  Creighton at home is very good, we
will see how they do at home against Villy, there style is almost the same as Creighton, no center.  Hard to believe that Theo has not shown any
improvement at all.  Hard to believe that Morrow has no offensive game, what do they work on, and Jayce is just uncoordinated.  Need some O
from all 5 positions, not getting that.

Finally, is Koby worse offensively then Chartonney, wow, can not believe I said that.  But that corner 3 yesterday was a joke.  I saw him twice last year in practice and he was really good, now really bad.  They do need Mane next year or another guard.  I only see 1 starter, Bailey, the
other 4 spots are wide open.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2020, 01:41:52 PM »

There is no Northeast Missouri St. U. There used to be until 1996, as it is now called Truman. .....As for Northwest Missouri St.....forget hoops, hire their football coach and re-start MU football (teal)

They have appeared in nine D-2 National Title games, winning six, in the past couple of decades.

As mentioned Kim Anderson won a D-2 National Title, and had a lot of success at Central Missouri St. (as well as a Mizzou player and assistant) before a short big struggling stint at Mizzou. Sometimes things work out a little bit, (Bo Ryan) sometimes they don’t when some coach’s switch levels.

Class71

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2020, 01:57:29 PM »
Actually after Creighton I thought it might be time for another contract extension. It is only 6 years and there is still time to learn the finer points of coaching. Lets see what happens at the 10 year mark. But hey, when Wojie replaces coach K  we will need to find a replacement then. It will be difficult to fill those shoes but there is no way we will be able to keep such a talent.
⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2020, 01:58:11 PM »
How many threads need to be started to say you think Wojo needs to be replaced?  I just got on here a few minutes ago and see no fewer than four threads that could be combined into one.  Two of the four are started by MikeDeanesDarkGlasses and one by Mike Deane's Seat Belt.  Are these different posters?   How many Mike Deane fans could there be?
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

Marquette4life

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2020, 02:02:20 PM »
What makes you think he can win with one borderline 5 star and 2 four stars when he cant win with an all american, sacar, and a solid supporting cast in bailey, elliott, and Cain

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2020, 02:04:06 PM »
Mike Deane was a better coach than Wojo.  The results speak for themselves.

And in all honesty, there can never be enough anti Wojo threads.  The guy needs to go because he's doing immense harm to the program, long term by continually bringing in soft, finesse players.  Why he gets support is beyond me.  I think it's a microcosm of a larger problem in America where people would rather avoid conflict and stick with the mundane/mediocre.

I've been around since 2014 but am proud to see that Deane's Seat Belt account was created during my hiatus.