[April 22, 2024, 08:17:35 PM]

MU Alumni playing in European and Foreign Leagues Thread by mileskishnish72
[April 22, 2024, 04:17:36 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by WeAreMarquette96
[April 22, 2024, 01:49:31 PM]

[Paint Touches] Way-Too-Early roundup of MU rankings by tower912
[April 22, 2024, 01:29:28 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: MU Coaching Candidates  (Read 162181 times)

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
Re: MU Coaching Candidates
« Reply #50 on: January 02, 2020, 06:08:28 PM »
I should have tealed 😉

gotcha. :)

Though there are enough people who think it is still 1977. Just as Gtown fans think it's still 1984 and St. John's fans think it's still 1985 (well, maybe not after this past summer) and DePaul fans think it's...ah who am I kidding, they don't have fans.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

asdfasdf

• Starter
« Reply #51 on: January 02, 2020, 06:28:08 PM »
I'm curious to see how Darrin Horn does at Northern Kentucky. He has a good pedigree, just couldn't win big enough at South Carolina after a good stint at Western Kentucky.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #52 on: January 02, 2020, 06:36:20 PM »
I'm curious to see how Darrin Horn does at Northern Kentucky. He has a good pedigree, just couldn't win big enough at South Carolina after a good stint at Western Kentucky.

"Just couldn't win big enough at South Carolina" is exceptionally generous.
His first team, with Dave Odom's players, went 21-10.
Three years later, his team went 10-21.

Give me a million more years of Wojo if Darrin Horn is considered a viable alternative.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #53 on: January 02, 2020, 06:37:08 PM »
Tom Crean

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #54 on: January 02, 2020, 07:36:10 PM »
1) Travis Diener - has the coaching bloodlines, natural leader, played in the league, beloved by fan base.  Maybe he could use a little experience as assistant.  How much experience did Hoiberg have when he was given keys to IA St program.

I just feel like TD will succeed at anything he tries in life, a born winner

2) Drew Diener- huge success at NAIA, including national championship. Now he’s turned around Rockhurst program that had 7 consecutive losing seasons. Assistant at Virginia. Played at SLU. So he’s well familiar with high D-1 level. Plus, he’s a Diener. They’re smart, tough, and they win.

3) Wardle- maybe. He’d be well behind Travis and Drew on my list

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #55 on: January 02, 2020, 07:42:48 PM »
1) Travis Diener - has the coaching bloodlines, natural leader, played in the league, beloved by fan base.  Maybe he could use a little experience as assistant.  How much experience did Hoiberg have when he was given keys to IA St program.

2) Drew Diener- huge success at NAIA, including national championship. Now he’s turned around Rockhurst program that had 7 consecutive losing seasons. Assistant at Virginia. Played at SLU. So he’s well familiar with high D-1 level. Plus, he’s a Diener. They’re smart, tough, and they win.

lmfao
Maigh Eo for Sam

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #56 on: January 02, 2020, 07:42:57 PM »
For the folks afraid of losing next years recruits, oh well, get over it.  Short term pain, long term gain if you get the right guy.  We accomplished nothing in Henry’s one year. Who knows how long Garcia sticks around if he’s as good as billed.

Plus, how’s Wojo and staffs history making players better? Yeah, not great

You can’t prevent your program from long term gain on hope and prayer of three 18 year old kids.  We all know you never know what you have in recruits until they start playing at this level 

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #57 on: January 02, 2020, 07:45:02 PM »

Wardle has had more success than the other two at the D1 level. By a long shot. If the first two didn’t have the last name, you wouldn’t be interested in the least.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #58 on: January 02, 2020, 07:46:10 PM »
lmfao

SLU is not a high major school? I didn’t say they’re an elite program. But they compete with the big boys

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #59 on: January 02, 2020, 07:48:36 PM »
For the folks afraid of losing next years recruits, oh well, get over it.  Short term pain, long term gain if you get the right guy.  We accomplished nothing in Henry’s one year. Who knows how long Garcia sticks around if he’s as good as billed.

Plus, how’s Wojo and staffs history making players better? Yeah, not great

You can’t prevent your program from long term gain on hope and prayer of three 18 year old kids.  We all know you never know what you have in recruits until they start playing at this level

Henry was never going to lead us to much, he isn't even that good. Has struggled mightily in the NBA.  It was a marriage of convenience for MU and HE.  Nothing more.

You just assume long term gain is automatically going to happen....sorry, life doesn't work that way.  Honestly, you would be calling for Jay Wright's head right now, or Coach K and others.  I have no idea how Wojo turns out, but he has a great class coming in, we're 37th in the ratings, we have three straight post season trips...he has earned the right to keep on coaching.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
  • "Seat belts On! We're Going For A Ride!"
« Reply #60 on: January 02, 2020, 07:52:23 PM »
Wardle has had more success than the other two at the D1 level. By a long shot. If the first two didn’t have the last name, you wouldn’t be interested in the least.

And when you take a look at Wardle's recruiting efforts at Bradley, you begin to reach for the bottle of Tums.   There's way better options out there.  As I said before, look at Ashley Howard from LaSalle.  He's only in his 2nd year and already has outpaced Wardle in recruiting efforts.  Not to mention, his kids are disciplined defensively and offensively.  He's already better than Wojochokeski 

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #61 on: January 02, 2020, 07:54:20 PM »
And when you take a look at Wardle's recruiting efforts at Bradley, you begin to reach for the bottle of Tums.   There's way better options out there.  As I said before, look at Ashley Howard from LaSalle.  He's only in his 2nd year and already has outpaced Wardle in recruiting efforts.  Not to mention, his kids are disciplined defensively and offensively.  He's already better than Wojochokeski

They’re 244th in offensive efficiency
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #62 on: January 02, 2020, 07:54:26 PM »
Henry was never going to lead us to much, he isn't even that good. Has struggled mightily in the NBA.  It was a marriage of convenience for MU and HE.  Nothing more.

You just assume long term gain is automatically going to happen....sorry, life doesn't work that way.  Honestly, you would be calling for Jay Wright's head right now, or Coach K and others.  I have no idea how Wojo turns out, but he has a great class coming in, we're 37th in the ratings, we have three straight post season trips...he has earned the right to keep on coaching.

Hence why I followed my long term gain comment with getting the right guy. They’re out there, have to be smart enough to find them. And it’s true, we have no idea if Scholl is capable. But time to find out his chops in his abilities for the schools cash cow program

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #63 on: January 02, 2020, 07:58:14 PM »
Tom Crean.  Talented x and o guy

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #64 on: January 02, 2020, 07:58:24 PM »
SLU is not a high major school? I didn’t say they’re an elite program. But they compete with the big boys

No. No it is not. A school in the A10 and has less tournament appearances all time as we do from 02 to now
Maigh Eo for Sam

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #65 on: January 02, 2020, 07:58:54 PM »

Henry was an excellent college player and was just getting started. Maybe his game isn’t right for NBA, but teams still think enough of him that he’s hanging around the fringes. I think had he just stuck around MU couple more seasons, he would have been NBA ready. He left college too soon was his big mistake

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
« Reply #66 on: January 02, 2020, 07:59:31 PM »
They’re 244th in offensive efficiency

And Rising....

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #67 on: January 02, 2020, 08:02:23 PM »
Henry was an excellent college player and was just getting started. Maybe his game isn’t right for NBA, but teams still think enough of him that he’s hanging around the fringes. I think had he just stuck around MU couple more seasons, he would have been NBA ready. He left college too soon was his big mistake

He left when he did because it was the only shot he would have to get drafted so highly.  That draft class was one of the worst in the last 25 years.  If he plays another year or two years, he gets drafted nowhere close to that high.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #68 on: January 02, 2020, 08:03:37 PM »
No. No it is not. A school in the A10 and has less tournament appearances all time as we do from 02 to now

Well, tragically they lost a great coach, who thought highly enough of their program to take the job. We’ll never know succceses they may have reached under Rick, but he was off to a very nice start there

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #69 on: January 02, 2020, 08:06:09 PM »
I have great confidence in Bill Scholls ability to find us a very good replacement for Wojo. Scholl has a legitimate circle of contacts in College Athletics and will put those to good use and find us the best available coach whether he comes from college or pro. So when the time comes, I am not worried at all about a solid replacement coming on board.   The market for coaches is very specific to what the openings are and who is available at any given time.   
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Warrior of Law

• All American
« Reply #70 on: January 02, 2020, 08:07:15 PM »
1. Travis Diener (with his cousin, Diener)
2. T.J.Otzelberger (currently in 1st year at UNLV)
3. Wardle
"You can only protect your liberties in this world by protecting the other man's freedom. You can only be free if I am free."  Clarence Darrow

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #71 on: January 02, 2020, 08:10:14 PM »
There is no Northeast Missouri St. U. There used to be until 1996, as it is now called Truman. .....As for Northwest Missouri St.....forget hoops, hire their football coach and re-start MU football (teal)

They have appeared in nine D-2 National Title games, winning six, in the past couple of decades.

Truman... fka... Northeast Missouri State.. freshman PG Sam Nissen was Dawson Garcia's PG at Prior Lake last season
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
« Reply #72 on: January 02, 2020, 08:10:27 PM »

Hmmmm..... Henry's shot wasn't anything special at MU.  He was stifled many times by the defense and wasn't a player who could create his own shot either.  In order to be NBA ready he would have had to consistently hit an outside shot.  It's kind of interesting that two less physically gifted players such as Steve Novak and Frank Kaminsky turned into much better NBA players.  It also shows how skill isn't highly prioritized as potential.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #73 on: January 02, 2020, 08:18:38 PM »
Well, tragically they lost a great coach, who thought highly enough of their program to take the job. We’ll never know succceses they may have reached under Rick, but he was off to a very nice start there

Yeah still doesn't make it a high major job. You're either a high major based on conference, or you win enough to be considered above your level like Gonzaga

A10- Mid Major, upper echelon but still mid major

10 NCAA appearances All time- not impressive certainly not enough to not be a mid major

End of the day you cannot be someone calling for Wojos head because of lack of success then turn around and call SLU a high major.
Maigh Eo for Sam

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #74 on: January 02, 2020, 09:00:06 PM »
Hmmmm..... Henry's shot wasn't anything special at MU.  He was stifled many times by the defense and wasn't a player who could create his own shot either.  In order to be NBA ready he would have had to consistently hit an outside shot.  It's kind of interesting that two less physically gifted players such as Steve Novak and Frank Kaminsky turned into much better NBA players.  It also shows how skill isn't highly prioritized as potential.

You’re comparing him to two 4 year players!!!

Which does circle back however to my original point had he just stayed couple more years..,

feedback