Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 12:00:10 AM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[April 28, 2024, 11:58:04 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 09:55:19 PM]

Banquet by Skatastrophy
[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: MU Coaching Candidates  (Read 162980 times)

Badgerhater

• All American
Re: MU Coaching Candidates
« Reply #1125 on: February 28, 2021, 04:32:58 PM »
You can’t really view it like that though. That basically ignores the body of work of the season. Plus, enough people predict the bracket that it’s easy to see we had a tournament resume.

MU was 8-10 in conference last season, that body of work is pretty flabby or it’s the body of that guy at the gym who only bench presses and doesn’t do leg workouts.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #1126 on: February 28, 2021, 04:36:27 PM »
Y'all can quit sportin' wood. BS ain't comin' back to college basketball, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #1127 on: February 28, 2021, 04:41:05 PM »
Y'all can quit sportin' wood. BS ain't comin' back to college basketball, hey?

Agreed. No chance

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1128 on: February 28, 2021, 04:43:43 PM »
Brad Stevens.  A recent Boston Globe article indicated that the Celtic players were not listening to their coach. May be in his own hot water... Would be a good get.

Kick the tires on Calipari.  UK fan base is furious with him
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1129 on: February 28, 2021, 04:44:10 PM »
Brad Stevens.  A recent Boston Globe article indicated that the Celtic players were not listening to their coach. May be in his own hot water... Would be a good get.

If Stevens is really on the h-seat he would get another NBA job in 5 secs. 
« Last Edit: February 28, 2021, 05:08:31 PM by MuggsyB »

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #1130 on: February 28, 2021, 04:53:23 PM »
Kick the tires on Calipari.  UK fan base is furious with him

If Calipari gets fired by UK the year we happen to need a new coach, I think he’d take MU’s call.

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #1131 on: February 28, 2021, 04:53:44 PM »
Don’t look now, but Stan has LMU at 12-8 and in 3rd in the WCC.  The team went 11-21 last year and lost seven players from the transition.  LMU was projected to be 7th/8th this season.  Good for Stan.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #1132 on: February 28, 2021, 05:00:28 PM »
I was debating with Fluffy over his statement that Marquette wasn’t firing Wojo after two, in theory, consecutive NCAAT appearances (while we don’t know the answer to that question, we also don’t know what would have happened if they lost to Hall and/or NCAAT game badly).

At this time, I believe there is a 60% chance there is a change after the season.  It was higher before the UNC game, but the UNC win, IMO, delayed any decision.  If we lose to DePaul again, it would almost be a guarantee IMO (for a change).  If we beat DePaul and lose to Xavier, it can go either way and would likely need to see how the BET game(s) go.  The team, despite beating Wisconsin, Creighton and UNC this year underperformed given its projections; we weren’t projected to be an NCAAT team, but we weren’t picked 10th in the BE, either.

I will say I believe our athletic department and president will do everything they can to justify and spin Wojo getting one more year for many reasons beat to death on here over the past few weeks.  The excuses have already been presented and pushed: injuries, COVID, the schedule, the lack of fans, etc. However, the key will be the BOT.  If they feel a change is needed, a change will happen.  I guess it’ll come down to: what, if any, other jobs Wojo can get after the season that pay the same, or more; how well next year’s potential success can be “sold” to the powers that be; and, finally, if a change is required, how it is financially supported (which, again, if the BOT wants it, it will happen).

If Wojo comes back next year, and there is again no tournament and lack of optimism going into following season, not only is Wojo gone in ‘22, but Scholl might very well be on hot seat too. 

The UNC game had nothing to do with it. Unless some donor has stepped up or there is pressure being applied by people who can actually apply it, the only way Wojo is not coaching at MU next year is if he leaves on his own.

I mean, where do you get this 60% figure from?
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #1133 on: February 28, 2021, 05:01:57 PM »
MU was 8-10 in conference last season, that body of work is pretty flabby or it’s the body of that guy at the gym who only bench presses and doesn’t do leg workouts.

I’m not disagreeing. The comment was around if they were a tourney team. Based on their resume, they would have been. Not a good seed and I think they’d have gotten their doors blown off, but still in the tournament.

Don’t get me wrong, I hope Wojo is not our coach next year. But that doesn’t mean we have to change the facts of his tenure. I realize us being a tourney team last year is an opinion, but a very strongly supported one.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1134 on: February 28, 2021, 05:11:57 PM »
At this time, I believe there is a 60% chance there is a change after the season.  It was higher before the UNC game, but the UNC win, IMO, delayed any decision.  If we lose to DePaul again, it would almost be a guarantee IMO (for a change).

I hope you are correct. If I was forced to bet, however, I'd bet you're incorrect.

I do not believe coaching change decisions go like this:

2/23 - We're gonna fire him!

2/24 - We're gonna keep him!

3/2 - We're gonna fire him!

The cool thing, my friend, is that soon enough we'll know.

We could know as soon as March 11, and certainly within a few weeks after that.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #1135 on: February 28, 2021, 05:26:21 PM »
The UNC game had nothing to do with it. Unless some donor has stepped up or there is pressure being applied by people who can actually apply it, the only way Wojo is not coaching at MU next year is if he leaves on his own.

I mean, where do you get this 60% figure from?

The UNC game was and is being used in justification of retaining Wojo. It is additional evidence for support to keep.  The Butler/UNC games put some cold water on the heat being felt, but the hot seat is still very much there.

I think Scoop is underestimating the frustrations toward the MU basketball program right now from other stakeholders.  I believe it is something to monitor in these last few games.

The absolute worst thing to happen, IMO, would be an announcement of Wojo returning, followed by the departure of any of our top players returning next year, for whatever reason. That would be a devastating blow that makes next year meaningless and and hopeless, and just delays a reboot another 12 months.

5DollarPitcher

• All American
« Reply #1136 on: February 28, 2021, 05:27:37 PM »
Can we stop floating Brad Stevens? Never gonna happen. Thanks.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1137 on: February 28, 2021, 05:54:36 PM »
The UNC game was and is being used in justification of retaining Wojo.

By whom?

If it's anybody who matters - Lovell, Scholl, any BOT member - please provide a link to support the claim.

If it's some Scoopers, who cares? It's meaningless.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

• All American
« Reply #1138 on: February 28, 2021, 06:29:08 PM »
By whom?

If it's anybody who matters - Lovell, Scholl, any BOT member - please provide a link to support the claim.

If it's some Scoopers, who cares? It's meaningless.

Apparently he thinks Scholl and Lovell post here.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #1139 on: February 28, 2021, 07:03:38 PM »
The UNC game was and is being used in justification of retaining Wojo. It is additional evidence for support to keep.  The Butler/UNC games put some cold water on the heat being felt, but the hot seat is still very much there.

I think Scoop is underestimating the frustrations toward the MU basketball program right now from other stakeholders.  I believe it is something to monitor in these last few games.

The absolute worst thing to happen, IMO, would be an announcement of Wojo returning, followed by the departure of any of our top players returning next year, for whatever reason. That would be a devastating blow that makes next year meaningless and and hopeless, and just delays a reboot another 12 months.

You need to back up your statement about the 2 games. Sources?

Who are the "other stakeholders" and exactly how are their frustrations going to be monitored?

Is there any verifiable info regarding the BOT/Lovell/Scholl thoughts on Wojo's future? Why assume that they are trying to keep him, or, for that matter, planning to fire him?

Look, I really do get your frustration but you are getting hammered for making unsubstantiated statements. I'll close by saying that I think (as "in my opinion")  that another year of Wojo may be disastrous. At least that we can agree upon.

Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

• All American
« Reply #1140 on: February 28, 2021, 07:21:47 PM »
You need to back up your statement about the 2 games. Sources?

Who are the "other stakeholders" and exactly how are their frustrations going to be monitored?

Is there any verifiable info regarding the BOT/Lovell/Scholl thoughts on Wojo's future? Why assume that they are trying to keep him, or, for that matter, planning to fire him?

Look, I really do get your frustration but you are getting hammered for making unsubstantiated statements. I'll close by saying that I think (as "in my opinion")  that another year of Wojo may be disastrous. At least that we can agree upon.

I agree. I think next year could be ugly. That is why I hope a change is made somehow this year. But I’m almost positive that’s not happening from Marquette’s action.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #1141 on: February 28, 2021, 07:30:05 PM »

I agree. I think next year could be ugly. That is why I hope a change is made somehow this year. But I’m almost positive that’s not happening from Marquette’s action.

Correct. He is not getting fired. People here are delusional

panda

• All American
« Reply #1142 on: February 28, 2021, 07:33:47 PM »
Correct. He is not getting fired. People here are delusional

No he’s not getting fired but with Theres a more than decent chance he leaves with the amount of job shuffling that will happen this off season.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1143 on: February 28, 2021, 08:10:20 PM »
Minnesota needs a coach.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1144 on: February 28, 2021, 10:47:22 PM »
Prohm will have to reboot his coaching career in a mid-major again and maybe that’s where he’ll thrive.  Hiring him after being fired from Iowa State doesn’t inspire much confidence

Truth is, Murray State guys have done okay moving up, not great.  Mick Cronin has probably had the most success of the lot going back to Scott Edgar

Gottfried is close. Won his division of the SEC a couple times at Bama and made an E8 at a tough place to win in basketball. Then another 2 S16s at NC St. Cronin gets the nod for consistency, but they are heads and tails above the others

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1145 on: March 01, 2021, 07:31:35 AM »
Gottfried is close. Won his division of the SEC a couple times at Bama and made an E8 at a tough place to win in basketball. Then another 2 S16s at NC St. Cronin gets the nod for consistency, but they are heads and tails above the others

Given his proclivity for leaving messes, I was disinclined to include Gottfried but on the court, he’s definitely had some success

Viper

• All American
« Reply #1146 on: March 01, 2021, 07:39:05 AM »
great analogy! I see that guy everyday. Can bench 325 for reps. Looks in the mirror a lot. Couldn’t squat 185 if a MU ncaa bid depended on it.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1147 on: March 01, 2021, 07:59:39 AM »
Let’s actually talk names.

Here are some names of mid-major coaches with success.  Would any of these guys “move the needle” for you?

Scott Nagy, Wright State
Joe Pasternack, UCSB
Pat Kelsey, Winthrop
Craig Smith, Utah State

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #1148 on: March 01, 2021, 08:14:40 AM »
Let’s actually talk names.

Here are some names of mid-major coaches with success.  Would any of these guys “move the needle” for you?

Scott Nagy, Wright State
Joe Pasternack, UCSB
Pat Kelsey, Winthrop
Craig Smith, Utah State

I like what I’ve seen from Craig Smith. I’d be excited with that hire. Dennis Gates from Cleveland State. would interest me too. He just doesn’t have as much of a track record.

I think Scott Nagy also seems to be a guy that wins wherever he goes.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1149 on: March 01, 2021, 08:18:29 AM »
I like what I’ve seen from Craig Smith. I’d be excited with that hire. Dennis Gates from Cleveland State. would interest me too. He just doesn’t have as much of a track record.

I think Scott Nagy also seems to be a guy that wins wherever he goes.

I didn’t include Gates because I’ve seen him been discussed.  Like his pedigree for sure