[Today at 09:40:38 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by MU82
[Today at 08:02:41 AM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Jockey
[April 19, 2024, 11:10:31 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[April 19, 2024, 05:04:53 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: MU Coaching Candidates  (Read 162048 times)

shoothoops

• All American
Re: MU Coaching Candidates
« Reply #1150 on: March 01, 2021, 08:28:15 AM »
I like what I’ve seen from Craig Smith. I’d be excited with that hire. Dennis Gates from Cleveland State. would interest me too. He just doesn’t have as much of a track record.

I think Scott Nagy also seems to be a guy that wins wherever he goes.

He's the Horizon League coach of the year for the 2nd straight year. His team is the current Regular Season Horizon League Champion. He also has had several successful assistant coaching positions including multiple Power 5 stops. He has more of a track record than several names in these threads.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #1151 on: March 01, 2021, 08:33:25 AM »
Let’s actually talk names.

Here are some names of mid-major coaches with success.  Would any of these guys “move the needle” for you?

Scott Nagy, Wright State
Joe Pasternack, UCSB
Pat Kelsey, Winthrop
Craig Smith, Utah State

Nagy -  Yes but he's a player's coach not a system coach. Some people have been begging for a system, he's more of a mad scientist that changes things up every year.

Pasternack - Yes. Wouldn't be my first call but would be on my short list. Successful mid-major coach, recent AC at Arizona so he has high major recruiting experience. No midwest ties (since his graduation from Indiana in the 80s) so he would need to set up new recruiting networks

Kelsey - No. Has been at Winthrop a long time and has only every recruited 2 3-stars there. Jump to high major recruiting would be too steep IMHO. Never gotten Winthrop inside top 100. Another player's coach, no system.

Smith - Would be on my short short list. Outside a known quantity like Beilein or Matta would be one of the top 2 or 3 available options. Only downside is that he has never recruited transfers well. I think transfers are the way of the future, he would need to learn.

TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #1152 on: March 01, 2021, 08:46:21 AM »
Gates wanted to come to MU as a player but was conditional with Quentin Richardson (Deane liked David Diggs).   He (and Cordell and Q) spent a lot of HS days in the Old Gym with Wardle.  Mu has been part of his world for a long time, getting the job would be a homecoming of sorts.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #1153 on: March 01, 2021, 08:56:00 AM »
Gates wanted to come to MU as a player but was conditional with Quentin Richardson (Deane liked David Diggs).   He (and Cordell and Q) spent a lot of HS days in the Old Gym with Wardle.  Mu has been part of his world for a long time, getting the job would be a homecoming of sorts.

Wow imagine being a coach that turned down one of the only bright spots DePaul's had in the past two decades.
Maigh Eo for Sam

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1154 on: March 01, 2021, 08:58:43 AM »
Smith certainly has an interesting, successful track record.

If one looks at his record alongside that of Beard when Beard was hired by TTech, pretty similar - except Smith has excelled for longer. Maybe he isn't as dynamic in interviews or doesn't have as many big names vouching for him as Beard did?

“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #1155 on: March 01, 2021, 09:19:18 AM »
Smith certainly has an interesting, successful track record.

If one looks at his record alongside that of Beard when Beard was hired by TTech, pretty similar - except Smith has excelled for longer. Maybe he isn't as dynamic in interviews or doesn't have as many big names vouching for him as Beard did?

Being dynamic in interviews does not seem to be a prerequisite for the Marquette job under this administration.  Quite the opposite, actually.  Wojo is as boring as it gets in interviews.  A bland jock and a total dullard to boot.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #1156 on: March 01, 2021, 09:20:48 AM »
Speaking of Dennis Gates, one of his mentors, Leonard Hamilton, received a five year extension today from Florida St.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #1157 on: March 01, 2021, 09:22:36 AM »
Being dynamic in interviews does not seem to be a prerequisite for the Marquette job under this administration.  Quite the opposite, actually.  Wojo is as boring as it gets in interviews.  A bland jock and a total dullard to boot.

You've interviewed him?
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #1158 on: March 01, 2021, 09:24:09 AM »
Dennis Gates would get the energy flowing at MU. Sign me up

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1159 on: March 01, 2021, 09:25:55 AM »

You have absolutely no knowledge how good or bad Wojo is when he interviews for jobs. Zero.

But sure, there's not enough legit sh!t to rag on him for, so rip him for every possible thing. I hear he has too much belly-button lint.

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #1160 on: March 01, 2021, 09:43:34 AM »
You have absolutely no knowledge how good or bad Wojo is when he interviews for jobs. Zero.

But sure, there's not enough legit sh!t to rag on him for, so rip him for every possible thing. I hear he has too much belly-button lint.

Ah, I thought you meant interviews as in post game press conferences, etc.  You’re right, I don’t have any idea what Wojo’s like in job interviews, except that he makes good PowerPoints and is at least better than Cuonzo Martin.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #1161 on: March 01, 2021, 10:58:49 AM »

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1162 on: March 01, 2021, 11:03:40 AM »
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

• All American
« Reply #1163 on: March 01, 2021, 11:05:30 AM »
Way to go, Scoopers

Dammit.  If there were only crowds at FF and the administration heard the boos....
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #1164 on: March 01, 2021, 11:06:03 AM »
https://www.coachesdatabase.com/hot-seat-report/

Wojo not even listed as simmer.

Well yeah now that he won at UNC! He was for sure gone before that
Maigh Eo for Sam

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1165 on: March 01, 2021, 11:09:15 AM »
Way to go, Scoopers

Yeah, if more than a dozen of us had rooted for Marquette to lose at the Dean Dome, Wojo would already be gone by now.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1166 on: March 01, 2021, 11:14:25 AM »
https://www.coachesdatabase.com/hot-seat-report/

Wojo not even listed as simmer.

It's hard to believe that Shaka would get fired now, even if he suffers a Ja-level NCAAT humiliation, but it would be amazing if he is gone before Wojo is.

I wouldn't want any of the "on fire" guys, but there are a couple on the lower lists who would be intriguing if they become available and they still want to coach.

I mean, Mike Brey has been a pretty good coach. Miller ... Turgeon ... hmmm.

panda

• All American
« Reply #1167 on: March 01, 2021, 11:26:16 AM »
Pitino is getting let go at the end of the year (confirmed) and is still listed in this article as “We’ve got our eye on you”.

Makes me question the validity of the entire piece.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #1168 on: March 01, 2021, 11:42:24 AM »
It's hard to believe that Shaka would get fired now, even if he suffers a Ja-level NCAAT humiliation, but it would be amazing if he is gone before Wojo is.

I wouldn't want any of the "on fire" guys, but there are a couple on the lower lists who would be intriguing if they become available and they still want to coach.

I mean, Mike Brey has been a pretty good coach. Miller ... Turgeon ... hmmm.

The only reason Shaka is mentioned is because the AD there did not hire him. 

Talking to a coach friend last night he thinks Hoiberg could go back to Iowa State. He is realizing Nebraska is a lost cause.

An intriguing possibility for DePaul: Orlando Antigua. His record at South Florida as unimpressive but he has ties to the AD through his days at UK and he is now down the road in Champaign. It's highly likely it will be someone with UK ties.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #1169 on: March 01, 2021, 12:07:12 PM »
Wow imagine being a coach that turned down one of the only bright spots DePaul's had in the past two decades.

No, Mike Deane only wanted Gates if he came with Q.  MU battled Kansas for the Q and looked to be winning when Q said no to Kansas.  It appeared like MU would get Cordell, Gates and Q...until DePaul dropped the bag.

Cordell would team up wit Jon Harris, Olouma Nmamaka & David Diggs to lead MU back to the NCAA in 2002.  From there MU would go on to appear in 10 of 12 NCAAs...all because of the foundation Mike Deane built.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #1170 on: March 01, 2021, 12:30:17 PM »

DePaul or Berkeley and a degree from there?  Tough one.

Gates played college basketball at California, where he was a two-time first-team All-Academic selection in the Pac-10, having graduated in three years, playing his senior season as a master's degree candidate.[2][3] Gates was also a member of Cal's 2002 NCAA Tournament team.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #1171 on: March 01, 2021, 12:30:48 PM »

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #1172 on: March 01, 2021, 12:38:18 PM »
And another coaching related twitter handle that Mike Broeker, Ben Steele and Justin Gainey all follow (plus Goodman, Dauster & Parrish) have him as plenty warm.

We'll see who is most dialed in, come April.

• All American
« Reply #1173 on: March 01, 2021, 12:54:43 PM »
Speaking of Dennis Gates, one of his mentors, Leonard Hamilton, received a five year extension today from Florida St.

My favorite fact about Hamilton.

He was a 12 year assistant for Joe B. Hall at Kentucky.  He was on the bench when Hall's Kentucky team won the national championship over a pre-Coach K Duke team in 1978.

Outside of his one year in the NBA, he has been a college assistant or head coach for 50 years!

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1174 on: March 01, 2021, 01:06:00 PM »
No, Mike Deane only wanted Gates if he came with Q.  MU battled Kansas for the Q and looked to be winning when Q said no to Kansas.  It appeared like MU would get Cordell, Gates and Q...until DePaul dropped the bag.

The way Pat Kennedy threw around money would have made Sean Miller blush.

Q, Bobby Simmons and Lance Johnson -- ka-ching!

And yet DePaul's only postseason win during that trio's 3 years together was a first-round NIT victory over KO's mighty Northwestern squad.