'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: MU Coaching Candidates  (Read 162868 times)

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
Re: MU Coaching Candidates
« Reply #1100 on: February 28, 2021, 01:45:18 PM »
FWIW, the Coaching Changes Twitter account, again run by anonymous NCAA D1 assistant coaches, are putting Wojo as the 6th hottest seat now behind Minnesota, DePaul, Indiana, Iowa State and Arizona. 

IMO, it's unlikely Arizona makes a move. Miller has just won three straight and they are set at 17-8.  The rest I can definitely see changes occurring.

Dare I say that Wojo and Pitino have had similar tenure?  Both 7+ years, two NCAAT appearances, losing conference record, consistently inconsistent and both "protected" due to background (Pitino - family name, Wojo - Duke association).

I think those protection ideas are ludicrous
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #1101 on: February 28, 2021, 01:50:06 PM »
Wojo isn’t being “protected” due to his Duke association. He bought himself some time due to being in the tournament two straight years prior to this one.  It’s not hard.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #1102 on: February 28, 2021, 01:51:55 PM »
I think those protection ideas are ludicrous

What did Pitino do to earn a high-major coaching job and not get dismissed when he is in year eight of the program?  Go 18-14 at FAU? It has everything to do with his name.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #1103 on: February 28, 2021, 01:54:19 PM »
Doesn’t Miller have an absurd contract about what he’s paid if he gets fired? I think it’s actually more to fire him for cause than not. I thought I remember his contract making it really tough for Arizona to fire him when the recruiting stuff started.

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #1104 on: February 28, 2021, 01:54:39 PM »
Wojo isn’t being “protected” due to his Duke association. He bought himself some time due to being in the tournament two straight years prior to this one.  It’s not hard.

There was no tournament last year.  Officially, there are no tournament teams for 2020.  Would MU likely have gotten in? Sure. Could MU have gotten blown out/embarrassed again too? Also possible. 

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #1105 on: February 28, 2021, 01:55:34 PM »
There was no tournament last year.  Officially, there are no tournament teams for 2020.  Would MU likely have gotten in? Sure. Could MU have gotten blown out/embarrassed again too? Also possible.

You can’t really view it like that though. That basically ignores the body of work of the season. Plus, enough people predict the bracket that it’s easy to see we had a tournament resume.

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #1106 on: February 28, 2021, 01:57:43 PM »
Doesn’t Miller have an absurd contract about what he’s paid if he gets fired? I think it’s actually more to fire him for cause than not. I thought I remember his contract making it really tough for Arizona to fire him when the recruiting stuff started.

Yes. His contract at Arizona calls for him to get paid more if thr firing is with cause. Bad contract language that the school did not, or would not, catch.

• All American
« Reply #1107 on: February 28, 2021, 01:59:55 PM »
What did Pitino do to earn a high-major coaching job and not get dismissed when he is in year eight of the program?  Go 18-14 at FAU? It has everything to do with his name.

But why would Minnesota hold onto him because of his name?
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #1108 on: February 28, 2021, 02:01:17 PM »
You can’t really view it like that though. That basically ignores the body of work of the season. Plus, enough people predict the bracket that it’s easy to see we had a tournament resume.

Body of work includes trajectory.  The team lost six of its final seven games. It was an underdog in its BET game against Hall.  Very possible it could have lost eight of its final nine games.  Teams were game planning to stop Markus and have other guys beat them.  Up until the cancelation, we did not have an answer.

We cannot ignore trajectory in addition to reviewing body of work. 

• All American
« Reply #1109 on: February 28, 2021, 02:06:17 PM »
Body of work includes trajectory.  The team lost six of its final seven games. It was an underdog in its BET game against Hall.  Very possible it could have lost eight of its final nine games.  Teams were game planning to stop Markus and have other guys beat them.  Up until the cancelation, we did not have an answer.

We cannot ignore trajectory in addition to reviewing body of work. 

They would have made the tournament. Marquette isn’t firing their coach after back to back tournament appearances.

And what exactly is he being protected from? The wrath of a 74 year old coach? 

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #1110 on: February 28, 2021, 02:16:40 PM »
They would have made the tournament. Marquette isn’t firing their coach after back to back tournament appearances.

And what exactly is he being protected from? The wrath of a 74 year old coach?

Go ahead and list the programs that made back to back NCAATs while experiencing massive collapses to close out both seasons with blowout losses in the tournament. Marquette is completely unique in that regard.  We compare ourselves to what other programs have done but we are our own case. 

That was the trajectory last year.  If we say the coaching staff made the tournament last year, which there was no official tournament, then we have to consider how it would have played out. Teams figured out how to beat us (again), and we didn't have any adjustments. It was ride or die with Markus.

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #1111 on: February 28, 2021, 02:17:33 PM »
But why would Minnesota hold onto him because of his name?

I encourage to read the Gophers beat and their fan boards.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #1112 on: February 28, 2021, 02:19:54 PM »
Go ahead and list the programs that made back to back NCAATs while experiencing massive collapses to close out both seasons with blowout losses in the tournament. Marquette is completely unique in that regard.  We compare ourselves to what other programs have done but we are our own case. 

That was the trajectory last year.  If we say the coaching staff made the tournament last year, which there was no official tournament, then we have to consider how it would have played out. Teams figured out how to beat us (again), and we didn't have any adjustments. It was ride or die with Markus.

Oh, I totally agree that they likely would have gotten blasted in the tournament. That’s the Wojo special.

But that doesn’t change the fact they were pretty well locked into a bid. The committee doesn’t look at narratives like we do. They don’t care that MU was having a second consecutive collapse at the end of the season. They just look at the resume and MU’s resume was good enough for a bid.

• All American
« Reply #1113 on: February 28, 2021, 02:28:36 PM »

I ain’t listing anything.  The fact is that your “protection” hypothesis is dumb and the reasons they will retain Wojo are pretty obvious. You may not AGREE with them, but they are there.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1114 on: February 28, 2021, 02:55:05 PM »

Who are you arguing with here? Sultan thinks Wojo should get fired, as do I.

Unfortunately, neither you, Sultan nor I make these decisions.

Question: Are you convinced he will get fired after this season?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1115 on: February 28, 2021, 02:57:43 PM »
Maryland fans always want Turgeon gone. I’d take him off their hands.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

• All American
« Reply #1116 on: February 28, 2021, 03:02:02 PM »

Right. I’m only saying that he isn’t “protected” due to being a Coach K assistant and that keeping him is “understandable” even though I don’t agree.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1117 on: February 28, 2021, 03:04:31 PM »
Maryland fans always want Turgeon gone. I’d take him off their hands.

In 18 years of coaching, he’s made 2 Sweet 16’s.  Unfortunately for him, his best team at Maryland was probably last season.  Hard to believe he’s been at Maryland since 2011

panda

• All American
« Reply #1118 on: February 28, 2021, 03:05:58 PM »
FWIW, the Coaching Changes Twitter account, again run by anonymous NCAA D1 assistant coaches, are putting Wojo as the 6th hottest seat now behind Minnesota, DePaul, Indiana, Iowa State and Arizona. 

IMO, it's unlikely Arizona makes a move. Miller has just won three straight and they are set at 17-8.  The rest I can definitely see changes occurring.

Dare I say that Wojo and Pitino have had similar tenure?  Both 7+ years, two NCAAT appearances, losing conference record, consistently inconsistent and both "protected" due to background (Pitino - family name, Wojo - Duke association).

https://twitter.com/coachingchanges/status/1366132003511406606?s=21

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #1119 on: February 28, 2021, 03:07:48 PM »
https://twitter.com/coachingchanges/status/1366132003511406606?s=21

If this Twitter account is actually run by insiders, that’s a pretty damning tweet.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1120 on: February 28, 2021, 03:11:50 PM »
If this Twitter account is actually run by insiders, that’s a pretty damning tweet.

It’s been wrong way more that it’s been right but from time to time hit on some stuff

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #1121 on: February 28, 2021, 03:12:55 PM »
Dude has never even spent time on a D1 sideline as a coach or played. At least Kim Anderson was a D1 assistant and he still failed. McCollum is not the answer. At least not until he went to a lower level school and won. Hell, look at Linc Darner, very good D2 coach and he struggled at the low major D1 level, much less the Big East.

Bad coach? I don’t think so, but he walked into a really nice situation at Murray St that Kennedy had set up.  He’s kind of floundered once he moved past the Hoiberg player remnants

Kim Anderson was a unique situation. He was a former Bug 8 Player of The Year at Mizzou, and long time Norm Stewart assistant in the 89's and 90's with some good teams. He wanted the job a lot earlier and wasn't given the opportunity. They finally gave it to him but at the wrong time. It had been 12 years since he was in a D-1 sideline in a Power 5 league.

Anderson also inherited a mess, investigations, sanctions, snd he tried to piece things together in a short amount of time. They lost 13 scholarship players. He wasn't going to do a quick 3 seasons or less turnaround there at that time.

He of course knows ball and can coach ball. Wrong fit, wrong time. Unique situation.

panda

• All American
« Reply #1122 on: February 28, 2021, 03:13:41 PM »

Several of the MU coaches follow it along with Broeker.

It’s main purpose is entertainment, but with a lot of truth behind the entertaining statements

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #1123 on: February 28, 2021, 04:24:19 PM »

I was debating with Fluffy over his statement that Marquette wasn’t firing Wojo after two, in theory, consecutive NCAAT appearances (while we don’t know the answer to that question, we also don’t know what would have happened if they lost to Hall and/or NCAAT game badly).

At this time, I believe there is a 60% chance there is a change after the season.  It was higher before the UNC game, but the UNC win, IMO, delayed any decision.  If we lose to DePaul again, it would almost be a guarantee IMO (for a change).  If we beat DePaul and lose to Xavier, it can go either way and would likely need to see how the BET game(s) go.  The team, despite beating Wisconsin, Creighton and UNC this year underperformed given its projections; we weren’t projected to be an NCAAT team, but we weren’t picked 10th in the BE, either.

I will say I believe our athletic department and president will do everything they can to justify and spin Wojo getting one more year for many reasons beat to death on here over the past few weeks.  The excuses have already been presented and pushed: injuries, COVID, the schedule, the lack of fans, etc. However, the key will be the BOT.  If they feel a change is needed, a change will happen.  I guess it’ll come down to: what, if any, other jobs Wojo can get after the season that pay the same, or more; how well next year’s potential success can be “sold” to the powers that be; and, finally, if a change is required, how it is financially supported (which, again, if the BOT wants it, it will happen).

If Wojo comes back next year, and there is again no tournament and lack of optimism going into following season, not only is Wojo gone in ‘22, but Scholl might very well be on hot seat too. 

mutrainer71

• Walk-On
« Reply #1124 on: February 28, 2021, 04:30:37 PM »
Brad Stevens.  A recent Boston Globe article indicated that the Celtic players were not listening to their coach. May be in his own hot water... Would be a good get.

feedback