'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 Coaching Carousel by willie warrior
[Today at 03:50:16 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: MU Coaching Candidates  (Read 159725 times)

Galway Eagle

• All American
Re: MU Coaching Candidates
« Reply #1075 on: February 26, 2021, 08:10:53 AM »
John Beilein

Pro’s:

Fantastic offensive coach
Wins everywhere
Adjusts his styles effectively

Con’s:

68 years-old
Possible package deal with his kid
Marquette fans spelling his name

Let's say at 68 we got 4 years of Beilein. Is that enough to get us back to Buzz success? I think it could be. And then we at least are back to prominence again for our next search.

The bit about the son is disconcerting.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #1076 on: February 26, 2021, 08:16:33 AM »
Great question. I'll expand. willie, if you could pick Marquette's next head coach, who would make you happy? Who do you think they should target?

Wee Willie already answered that question for us. He has a bulging Wardle Woody.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #1077 on: February 26, 2021, 08:19:54 AM »
Sllllluuuurrrrpp! Gulp!

What about a post that says I don't believe Wojo can get it done and that there is a coach at a lower level that can do better than him is slurping to you Willie?
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

GOO

• All American
« Reply #1078 on: February 26, 2021, 08:25:26 AM »
If we could get doc and wardle  in as head co-coaches, that would be great. Then maybe Phil Jackson as senior  advisor. He can advise via zoom from his ranch and doc can consult Phil during games via iPad. Phil can watch in TV. Phil is still alive, isn’t he.

But who do we get as the experienced college bench coach?  Maybe Matta and his kid?  His kid can be the video coordinator.

I think that could work. Just throw enough money at them.

I know no one asked for my opinion, but that’s my two cents.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #1079 on: February 26, 2021, 08:36:29 AM »
Let's say at 68 we got 4 years of Beilein. Is that enough to get us back to Buzz success? I think it could be. And then we at least are back to prominence again for our next search.

He recruited at a high enough level at the end of his Michigan tenure and his development of players was quite good.  If he decides to get back into coaching, I think the program getting him gets a coach that can lay a good foundation.  I guess it depends on what he’s looking for.  Does he want to rebuild or does he want to take over a program on the cusp?
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #1080 on: February 26, 2021, 08:39:43 AM »
If we could get doc and wardle  in as head co-coaches, that would be great. Then maybe Phil Jackson as senior  advisor. He can advise via zoom from his ranch and doc can consult Phil during games via iPad. Phil can watch in TV. Phil is still alive, isn’t he.

But who do we get as the experienced college bench coach?  Maybe Matta and his kid?  His kid can be the video coordinator.

I think that could work. Just throw enough money at them.

I know no one asked for my opinion, but that’s my two cents.

I would be down with all that. Maybe we can buy the remains of John Wooden or have Lazar summon him for advice periodically.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #1081 on: February 26, 2021, 09:51:06 AM »

Give it a couple years and you might be able to get Buzz back cheap.

GOO

• All American
« Reply #1082 on: February 26, 2021, 09:57:11 AM »
Give it a couple years and you might be able to get Buzz back cheap.
Or Shaka.  He might have been available, but I think he is doing too well this season.
And, yes, I am joking, but only halfway. 
In reality Wojo has been on the cusp a few times.  He will be back next year.  Then we'll take it from there.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #1083 on: February 27, 2021, 09:22:21 AM »
What about a post that says I don't believe Wojo can get it done and that there is a coach at a lower level that can do better than him is slurping to you Willie?
No that would be great, so do it and acknowledge that belief. Do you have the gonads?
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #1084 on: February 27, 2021, 09:30:40 AM »
No that would be great, so do it and acknowledge that belief. Do you have the gonads?

I literally said that in the post you quoted. So I guess you're defending Wojo now?
TAMU

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #1085 on: February 27, 2021, 12:54:48 PM »
I literally said that in the post you quoted. So I guess you're defending Wojo now?
Literally? Really? Its OK man. Hang on to the Wojo-Dukiet worship. The law of averages says he is due for a good year sometime. Remember back a couple years ago, when many here postulated that Wojo-Dukiet has us on the upward trajectory? Guessing you were likely on that joyride, so maybe we can all hope for that to happen soon. Because after all, 7 years is not enough time for him to get it together, and it is too expensive to switch him out, because of covid.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #1086 on: February 27, 2021, 01:00:13 PM »
What are your thoughts on bringing Brian Wardle home?
Do a bang up search and if he comes out as the best candidate then I would support that. He could just possibly do better than the 7 year wonder we currently worship

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #1087 on: February 27, 2021, 01:04:12 PM »
Do a bang up search and if he comes out as the best candidate then I would support that. He could just possibly do better than the 7 year wonder we currently worship

Who's worshiping Wojo these days?
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1088 on: February 27, 2021, 01:14:48 PM »
Folks think this guy or that guy is a sure thing, but look at Archie Miller. I think we'd be pretty happy hiring a coach with the resume he brought to Indiana.

He still might prove to be a good hire. His career trajectory is quite similar to that of Shaka, who seems to have finally lived up to the billing at Texas.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #1089 on: February 27, 2021, 02:11:52 PM »
Literally? Really?

Yes. Really

There is one more situation. Wojo is retained, has a good year next season and grows from there as Marquette's coach.

I don't believe it will happen and think in a non-COVID year he should be fired (barring a miracle run to end the season) but it is not "all over."

What we will end up with is most likely either a mid-major head coach, high-major assistant coach, or a recently fired high-major head coach. That doesn't mean we shouldn't fire Wojo because one of those guys likely could do a better job. But picking the right one will be tricky.
TAMU

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #1090 on: February 28, 2021, 08:10:17 AM »
Somebody, anyone else.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #1091 on: February 28, 2021, 09:06:54 AM »
i've brought this dude up before-BEN McCOLLUM-

northwest missouri state

by his 3rd year, he has had this program ROCKIN!!  he has a new influx of players every year, kids want to play for him and HE WINS

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ben_McCollum
don't...don't don't don't don't

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #1092 on: February 28, 2021, 09:08:11 AM »
D2 to high level D1 rarely works.  McCollum might be great eventually but needs mid major experience first.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #1093 on: February 28, 2021, 11:29:05 AM »
D2 to high level D1 rarely works.  McCollum might be great eventually but needs mid major experience first.

Exactly. Look at Kim Anderson at Mizzou. D2 National title to 8 conference wins in three seasons.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kim_Anderson_(basketball)
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1094 on: February 28, 2021, 11:31:40 AM »
Is Prohm a bad coach?  I know he's had a terrible year but Iowa St lost a lot.  Just throwing it out there, it sounds like he could be terminated
« Last Edit: February 28, 2021, 11:34:12 AM by MuggsyB »

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1095 on: February 28, 2021, 11:36:57 AM »
I didn't realize how bad 19-20 was for I. State..  Hmmmm....probably not the answer.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1096 on: February 28, 2021, 11:37:24 AM »
Is Prohm a bad coach?  I know he's had a terrible year but Iowa St lost a lot.  Just throwing it out there, it sounds like he could be terminated

That would open up the ultimate Marquette to Marquette West transfer if Wojo took over for Prohm.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1097 on: February 28, 2021, 11:42:56 AM »
i've brought this dude up before-BEN McCOLLUM-

northwest missouri state

by his 3rd year, he has had this program ROCKIN!!  he has a new influx of players every year, kids want to play for him and HE WINS

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ben_McCollum

Dude has never even spent time on a D1 sideline as a coach or played. At least Kim Anderson was a D1 assistant and he still failed. McCollum is not the answer. At least not until he went to a lower level school and won. Hell, look at Linc Darner, very good D2 coach and he struggled at the low major D1 level, much less the Big East.

Bad coach? I don’t think so, but he walked into a really nice situation at Murray St that Kennedy had set up.  He’s kind of floundered once he moved past the Hoiberg player remnants

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #1098 on: February 28, 2021, 12:11:26 PM »
Dude has never even spent time on a D1 sideline as a coach or played. At least Kim Anderson was a D1 assistant and he still failed. McCollum is not the answer. At least not until he went to a lower level school and won. Hell, look at Linc Darner, very good D2 coach and he struggled at the low major D1 level, much less the Big East.

Bad coach? I don’t think so, but he walked into a really nice situation at Murray St that Kennedy had set up.  He’s kind of floundered once he moved past the Hoiberg player remnants

Prohm will have to reboot his coaching career in a mid-major again and maybe that’s where he’ll thrive.  Hiring him after being fired from Iowa State doesn’t inspire much confidence

Truth is, Murray State guys have done okay moving up, not great.  Mick Cronin has probably had the most success of the lot going back to Scott Edgar
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #1099 on: February 28, 2021, 01:44:15 PM »
FWIW, the Coaching Changes Twitter account, again run by anonymous NCAA D1 assistant coaches, are putting Wojo as the 6th hottest seat now behind Minnesota, DePaul, Indiana, Iowa State and Arizona. 

IMO, it's unlikely Arizona makes a move. Miller has just won three straight and they are set at 17-8.  The rest I can definitely see changes occurring.

Dare I say that Wojo and Pitino have had similar tenure?  Both 7+ years, two NCAAT appearances, losing conference record, consistently inconsistent and both "protected" due to background (Pitino - family name, Wojo - Duke association). 

feedback