[Today at 01:29:07 PM]

NM by 4everwarriors
[Today at 10:37:41 AM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Uncle Rico
[Today at 10:15:40 AM]

MU all-time defensive team? by Uncle Rico
[Today at 08:44:45 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: what kind of result this year gets wojo canned?  (Read 30330 times)

jonny09

• Team Captain
Re: what kind of result this year gets wojo canned?
« Reply #175 on: January 03, 2020, 08:52:17 PM »
Probs the same table I misread when I said I think it had declined

Either way no matter.  Milwaukee is a fine American city. Lots of fun to be had.

WhoaJoe2020

• All American
« Reply #176 on: January 03, 2020, 08:53:21 PM »
What? Decline of Milwaukee? Luke Fischer offensive star? Preaches defense?

Yes Milwaukee used to be the largest manufacturing center in the country if not the world. Yes Luke Fischer was given a long leash offensively but never excelled( maybe due to his shoulder ). Yes preaches defense, doesn't mean we currently have the players to execute said defense.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #177 on: January 03, 2020, 09:01:18 PM »
Yes Milwaukee used to be the largest manufacturing center in the country if not the world. Yes Luke Fischer was given a long leash offensively but never excelled( maybe due to his shoulder ). Yes preaches defense, doesn't mean we currently have the players to execute said defense.

I gotta get more explanation on this. when you're driving around old world third, water street, the third ward and fifth wards you see it as on the decline?heck even whatever that neighborhood south of the 6th bridge is has the distillery and craft brewery now. Plus new skyscrapers give Milwaukee a skyline now not just a line with a big US Bank sign
Maigh Eo for Sam

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #178 on: January 03, 2020, 09:03:26 PM »
It seems to be working. Why fix it?
I don't think Wojo himself would agree with this. I think he is working like a dog every day to fix it. Wojo is not a dumb guy. He knows the results are not good enough. (Yet?)

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #179 on: January 03, 2020, 09:04:41 PM »
That doesn't mean the city has declined, in fact some would argue that makes the city more diverse, educated and an overall better place to live. I will concede the other two points even as weak as they are.

Milwaukee is a place where Marquette, the Bucks, Brewers and many other things can succeed and thrive. The Milwaukee inferiority complex excuse is getting old

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #180 on: January 03, 2020, 09:06:57 PM »
Milwaukee is a place where Marquette, the Bucks, Brewers and many other things can succeed are succeeding and thrive. The Milwaukee inferiority complex excuse is getting old
Maigh Eo for Sam

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #181 on: January 03, 2020, 09:07:24 PM »
Hi, my names Joe(not really) long time lurker first time poster. I'm 55(yes really).  I've read nearly every post relevant to coaching and recruiting and have to admit I'm somewhat confused. Do some of you think we're a blue blood? Times and college basketball have changed. Milwaukee is not the same city it was in the 70s and Marquette is not the same program. Considering the decline of the city I would say our basketball program has acquitted itself rather well over the years but it isn't a Mecca( no pun intended ) for the most elite players or head coaches.
Which brings us to Wojo.
I do believe he had/has a plan to transplant the Duke culture to Marquette. A tough ask from the jump but I think he has steadily been incorporating the values and principles that have made Duke what it is today. A relatively clean program that preaches defense but allows offensive stars to shine, ( think H.E., Rowsey, Markus, and even Luke Fischer who never quite reached critical mass ) I believe this philosophy has led directly to this promising 2020 recruiting class and will bear more fruit in the future IF Wolo stays. Wojo, like coach K understands it's the players that ultimately win championships and demonstrating a long leash with your star players is great bait to entice other elite players to the program. It seems to be working. Why fix it?
Thanks Chicos
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

hairy worthen

• All American

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #183 on: January 03, 2020, 09:10:09 PM »
Yes preaches defense, doesn't mean we currently have the players to execute said defense.
This constantly ripping on Wojo and the players he recruits is getting old. If you don't like Wojo, go cheer for another team.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #184 on: January 03, 2020, 09:12:41 PM »
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

5DollarPitcher

• All American
« Reply #185 on: January 03, 2020, 09:13:14 PM »
This constantly ripping on Wojo and the players he recruits is getting old. If you don't like Wojo, go cheer for another team.
Let me just exchange my diploma for one from a basketball blue blood.  Cheering for Marquette and criticizing Wojo are not and will never be mutually exclusive.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #186 on: January 03, 2020, 09:13:39 PM »
Apathy is much worse. Which is slowly setting in.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #187 on: January 03, 2020, 09:15:35 PM »
Let me just exchange my diploma for one from a basketball blue blood.  Cheering for Marquette and criticizing Wojo are not and will never be mutually exclusive.
Agreed. 100% I should have used teal. My bad.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #188 on: January 03, 2020, 09:21:09 PM »
Apathy is much worse. Which is slowly setting in.
Also agree. Apathy is much worse than fan outrage even if it is not totally reasonable. Apathy will dry up the revenue of any team, pro or college.

WhoaJoe2020

• All American
« Reply #189 on: January 03, 2020, 09:23:23 PM »

Ummm I'm a Wojo supporter. I wasn't "ripping" on anyone. Wojo preaches man to man defense like Duke but we don't seem to have the players that can stay in front of their man enough to be really effective against certain teams. See last game played. There's no shame in switching up to Zone now and then. Even Duke does it occasionally. That said I believe you do have to stick with a system to be successful in general.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #190 on: January 03, 2020, 09:26:49 PM »
Thanks Chicos

Lol.  I almost wrote the same thing Ners
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #191 on: January 03, 2020, 09:36:45 PM »
Ummm I'm a Wojo supporter. I wasn't "ripping" on anyone. Wojo preaches man to man defense like Duke but we don't seem to have the players that can stay in front of their man enough to be really effective against certain teams. See last game played. There's no shame in switching up to Zone now and then. Even Duke does it occasionally. That said I believe you do have to stick with a system to be successful in general.
Well Wojo has been at MU for a long time and recruited the players he wants so if you have a problem with the skill level of the players he brings in then I don't know what to tell you. Seems like you want to complain about the 19 to 21 year old college students that don't play defense up to your expectation. I guess these kids are letting you and Wojo down. So sorry for both of you.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #192 on: January 03, 2020, 09:40:30 PM »
I gotta get more explanation on this. when you're driving around old world third, water street, the third ward and fifth wards you see it as on the decline?heck even whatever that neighborhood south of the 6th bridge is has the distillery and craft brewery now. Plus new skyscrapers give Milwaukee a skyline now not just a line with a big US Bank sign

80s joke - some raises their middle finger and asks what this? Milwaukee skyline. 

Small Orange Soda

• Team Captain
« Reply #193 on: January 03, 2020, 10:00:08 PM »
He is doing as good of job as a guy two bad years away from being fired. So as good as most people.

You said if he makes the tournament as a seven seed or worse then misses the tourney next year that you would consider changing coaches.  So one missed tourney.  A successful coach would rightfully be given much more rope than that.

WhoaJoe2020

• All American
« Reply #194 on: January 03, 2020, 10:23:09 PM »
Well Wojo has been at MU for a long time and recruited the players he wants so if you have a problem with the skill level of the players he brings in then I don't know what to tell you. Seems like you want to complain about the 19 to 21 year old college students that don't play defense up to your expectation. I guess these kids are letting you and Wojo down. So sorry for both of you.
Wow you must really be looking for a fight. Let me be perfectly clear. I really like the kids on this years team but they all have their strengths AND weaknesses. It's up to Wojo to come up with a strategy to capitalize on their strengths while preventing the other team from exploiting  their weaknesses.
Easier said than done. Switching to Zone at times might help but it might hurt the ultimate goal of getting the man to man to where it needs to be. I truly believe at this point in the season Creighton was a nightmare matchup and hope the man to man defense and defensive transition will dramatically improve as the season progresses. If, however, Villanova (who this team should match up with better) exploits our man defense early on there's no shame in going to a zone or mixing it up.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #195 on: January 03, 2020, 10:30:06 PM »
You said if he makes the tournament as a seven seed or worse then misses the tourney next year that you would consider changing coaches.  So one missed tourney.  A successful coach would rightfully be given much more rope than that.

A great coach would be given more rope than that. A good coach might, depends on what you think the future holds. So far Wojo has been a good not great coach.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Keithtisbarf

• Walk-On
« Reply #196 on: January 03, 2020, 11:44:41 PM »

Yes sir!

Goose

• All American
« Reply #197 on: January 04, 2020, 05:32:43 AM »
hairy

I think apathy is definitely worse than outrage and believe it has set in for many fans. When folks on here say that the Dukiet era cannot be repeated it makes me pissed off. Things can slide quickly, especially when folks stop caring.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #198 on: January 04, 2020, 06:54:59 AM »
Milwaukee is a nicer city now than it was during Al’s time.

Absolutely.

No tanning smells. No brewery yeast and no other nasty industrial scent drifting over campus.

Milwaukee actually is rather exciting. OK, it isn't Chicago but the city's a very nice mid-sized community. The Third Ward and Lower East Side are fun. The downtown is showing signs of real life. The ballpark is first rate, the cultural attractions strong and the community is gradually cleaning up the scars of a post-industrial world.

The challenge Milwaukee has is to create an economic base for its entire community. Too much of Milwaukee doesn't earn a living wage or is overly dependent on government as a primary means of support. For Milwaukee to be truly vibrant, as other posters note, that has to change.

As to whether ballplayers will come here, have you been to Louisville lately? Seriously, if a recruit is seeking ivy colored walls and a bucolic environment, we haven't got a prayer. If an urban area with a great school, great facilities, wonderful tradition, best in the world fans (especially on Scoop) and hopeful coaching is what they want, come on up, you won't do better!

Goose

• All American
« Reply #199 on: January 04, 2020, 07:08:44 AM »
dgies

Watch it on the tanning smells. My family was proud owner of one of MKE’s fine tanneries. Those were the days!!