collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MU tuition up 3.5%  (Read 20760 times)

Galway Eagle

• All American
Re: MU tuition up 3.5%
« Reply #100 on: December 12, 2019, 08:10:26 PM »
People seem to be hung up on my example being a teacher. So I can do the following

Groupon Sales starting base pay is 30k and you cannot make commissions for 6 months. Most are lucky to break 50k.

Stericycle sales base pay is 36.5k. You cannot earn commission for 4 months.

I know these are Chicago companies but it gets back to my actual point about starting salaries not keeping up with COL and then you add on colleges increasing at a faster rate than salaries increasing you start to see why so many in my age bracket and the one under feel slighted.
Maigh Eo for Sam

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #101 on: December 12, 2019, 08:31:29 PM »
People seem to be hung up on my example being a teacher. So I can do the following

Groupon Sales starting base pay is 30k and you cannot make commissions for 6 months. Most are lucky to break 50k.

Stericycle sales base pay is 36.5k. You cannot earn commission for 4 months.

I know these are Chicago companies but it gets back to my actual point about starting salaries not keeping up with COL and then you add on colleges increasing at a faster rate than salaries increasing you start to see why so many in my age bracket and the one under feel slighted.

I’m sorry but why are those crappy jobs being used to set the market as an example?  I mean I could point to kid #2 who was a non STEM, non business major who is making well north of that in his first job but I don’t think that is necessarily indicative of anything.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #102 on: December 12, 2019, 08:49:04 PM »

I’m sorry but why are those crappy jobs being used to set the market as an example?  I mean I could point to kid #2 who was a non STEM, non business major who is making well north of that in his first job but I don’t think that is necessarily indicative of anything.

I'm sure you can. But does that company have a sales force north of 1,000 kids starting their first job? Of course there's loads of outliers out there. That's why I pointed to companies that have massive sales floors taking advantage of immediate post grads.

Edit: Here's an article from my Junior year showing MU grads make an average of 46 right out of college so it's not just teachers. 

https://marquettewire.org/3797335/tribune/tribune-news/paycheck-mu-grads-earn-third-biggest-paychecks-bg1-ab2-td3/
« Last Edit: December 12, 2019, 09:17:27 PM by Galway Eagle »
Maigh Eo for Sam

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #103 on: December 12, 2019, 10:11:28 PM »
I will not bring politics in. That said, I love teachers.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #104 on: December 13, 2019, 12:04:47 AM »
Politics. Again. Of course.

At. A. Minimum. 10. Other. Posts. Here. Fit. Mold. You. Say. Nothing. Of. Course. Again. Of. Course. Of. Course.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

• All American
« Reply #105 on: December 13, 2019, 07:53:10 AM »
I'm sure you can. But does that company have a sales force north of 1,000 kids starting their first job?

No because he got a better job than that.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

• All American
« Reply #106 on: December 13, 2019, 07:55:36 AM »
And by the way, an average salary of $46,000 can pay the average student loan debt of a Marquette graduate quite easily.

Bad_Reporter

• All American
« Reply #107 on: December 13, 2019, 07:57:35 AM »
And by the way, an average salary of $46,000 can pay the average student loan debt of a Marquette graduate quite easily.

It can?

• All American
« Reply #108 on: December 13, 2019, 08:13:29 AM »
It can?

Yep.  We have already established that with the extended payment plan, that's a payment of $230 per month.  A salary of $3,800 per month will net you about $2,950 in Wisconsin assuming you are single and taking one allowance.  That leaves $2,700 for the rest of the month.  Even with a $1,000 per month rent payment, that is easily doable.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #109 on: December 13, 2019, 08:15:26 AM »

I'm pretty sure I just ran the numbers at 45k in Milwaukee and it showed that it can be done but not "easily" and is much tougher than you give it credit

No because he got a better job than that.

So your answer to the thousands of post grads working those jobs is "get a better job"? 
Maigh Eo for Sam

• All American
« Reply #110 on: December 13, 2019, 08:19:56 AM »
I'm pretty sure I just ran the numbers at 45k in Milwaukee and it showed that it can be done but not "easily" and is much tougher than you give it credit

Yeah I don't think so. 

So your answer to the thousands of post grads working those jobs is "get a better job"? 

Yes.  Those jobs don't reflect the education you have earned.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #111 on: December 13, 2019, 08:21:38 AM »
It can?

$30K student loan with 10 year payoff at today’s rate is $310 a month.  I don’t know if easily is the word, but definitely doable. 

I paid off mine at interest rates around 6% and making less than $25k first few years after grad school.  It means not having a lot of nice things, but part of growing up.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #112 on: December 13, 2019, 08:23:20 AM »
Do you have stats on your it's not "crippling" claim?

I had a friend who ended MU plus masters with about 160k in loans. Seems like a mortgage worth to me. Not a great home but still could get something.

After dating a teacher for years and having been in sales for four years at companies like Groupon and Stericycle which were hiring people from Jucos or with simple high school degrees I'd completely disagree about the economic benefits unless you're in finance, a medical field, or take your degree and get a masters (Psych for example). Even a MU/HS/Grade school friend of mine quit his tech job to flip houses and paint because it wasn't financially smart for his to sit making 40k paying off loans, plus rent, commuter costs, insurance, etc.

For many individuals being in a solid trade union would likely yield better or roughly the same returns till at least a college grad reaches their 40s.

Indeed.  And it doesn't even have to be the trades.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #113 on: December 13, 2019, 08:24:13 AM »
Indeed.  And it doesn't even have to be the trades.

Or in a union

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #114 on: December 13, 2019, 08:28:24 AM »
Yeah I don't think so. 

Yes.  Those jobs don't reflect the education you have earned.

You can't just not think so. They were literally laid out. Only difference is the average salary was 1k higher than what I laid it out as.

That's an idiotic response. The market for jobs indicative of the "education you have earned" right out of college is saturated. And due to living expenses it makes finding a job asap necessary so you can't take the time to apply to 600 jobs over the course of a year.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #115 on: December 13, 2019, 08:29:13 AM »

FWIW, my answer would be "college is what you make it."

Many students simply "show up" to their classes and skate by.  This will likely not lead to a high-paying job.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #116 on: December 13, 2019, 08:30:44 AM »
This is a useless discussion. I'm arguing with a guy who is defending his job sector but has no grasp on what being a post grad is like currently and ignored a whole balance sheet I tried to put together.

FWIW, my answer would be "college is what you make it."

Many students simply "show up" to their classes and skate by.  This will likely not lead to a high-paying job.

This is a much better answer than sultans and is true. Hindsight is 20/20

Unfortunately that answer doesn't make it "easy" to live it just justifies why you make less than your peers that were STEM majors
Maigh Eo for Sam

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #117 on: December 13, 2019, 08:33:55 AM »
Average salary for a post grad in Wisconsin 39k. If only all these people just thought "hey why don't I get a better job that are clearly just hanging on trees" surely it's not that there's less of those jobs available because that'd mean there's a logical reason college grads are taking these jobs to live

https://www.ziprecruiter.com/Salaries/How-Much-Does-a-College-Grads-Make-a-Year--in-Wisconsin
Maigh Eo for Sam

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #118 on: December 13, 2019, 08:37:59 AM »
$30K student loan with 10 year payoff at today’s rate is $310 a month.  I don’t know if easily is the word, but definitely doable. 

I paid off mine at interest rates around 6% and making less than $25k first few years after grad school.  It means not having a lot of nice things, but part of growing up.

This is something I agree with. It's doable, you work hard, do cheap dates, look hard for a cheap apartment and it's doable but I get pissed at the assertion is "easy"
Maigh Eo for Sam

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #119 on: December 13, 2019, 08:41:27 AM »
I thought I saw right here on Scoop that the average salary for an MU grad last year was $56K or $58K.  That $45K is from 2011.

EDIT: Here is the data from 2017-18
https://www.marquette.edu/business/career-center/graduate-outcome.php

Average $53,500
« Last Edit: December 13, 2019, 08:45:38 AM by TSmith34 »
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #120 on: December 13, 2019, 08:44:34 AM »
I thought I saw right here on Scoop that the average salary for an MU grad last year was $56K or $58K.  That $45K is from 2011.

I did qualify that the article was from my jr year when I posted it
Maigh Eo for Sam

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #121 on: December 13, 2019, 08:47:32 AM »
This is something I agree with. It's doable, you work hard, do cheap dates, look hard for a cheap apartment and it's doable but I get pissed at the assertion is "easy"

All comes down to what you define as easy and personal life experiences.  When facing huge medical bills, or putting your own kids through college....someone of Sultan’s vintage may say it was easy.  Someone else might say it is really hard.

No right answer here...you are right, Sultan is right...just depend# on definitions and gradients.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #122 on: December 13, 2019, 08:48:21 AM »
I did qualify that the article was from my jr year when I posted it
Understood. But then the debate was whether or not that was enough to live on and service the average debt load, so I looked up more recent data.  An extra $8K - $9K per year is pretty significant in those terms.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #123 on: December 13, 2019, 08:51:01 AM »
Norbies grads just do better than most recent grads.  The Harvard of Depere.

• All American
« Reply #124 on: December 13, 2019, 08:52:05 AM »
You can't just not think so. They were literally laid out. Only difference is the average salary was 1k higher than what I laid it out as.

What you laid out was wrong because it didn't discuss completely viable alternatives.

That's an idiotic response. The market for jobs indicative of the "education you have earned" right out of college is saturated. And due to living expenses it makes finding a job asap necessary so you can't take the time to apply to 600 jobs over the course of a year.

It's not an idiotic response.  And the market for jobs right out of college where you can utilize the education you have earned is not saturated.  Certainly not in Chicago and Milwaukee.  Your experience doesn't match reality.

feedback