[Today at 12:29:11 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: What are you watching in 2020 (or re-watching)???  (Read 214870 times)

Its DJOver

• All American
Re: What are you watching in 2020 (or re-watching)???
« Reply #1675 on: October 02, 2021, 09:05:02 PM »
Watched the Michael Schumacher documentary on Netflix, thought it was alright.  The problem is that I think they tried to cover too much in 2 hours, thus glossing over some pretty important events, and since the family is never going to talk about the one incident that everyone wants to know about, I think it would have been better suited to make it a docu-series just focused on his driving. One part Bennington, three parts Ferrari, one part Mercedes.  There's more than enough just driving material to cover for 5 hours.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1676 on: October 03, 2021, 09:44:11 AM »
I started watching Squid Game on Netflix. I'm about 2.25 episodes in. It's certainly dark. Somehow it doesn't seem like the correct word to say I'm "enjoying" it, but I'll definitely keep watching.

Also watching it.  Feels like a Black Mirror episode turned into a series.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #1677 on: October 03, 2021, 01:03:24 PM »
And if you are in the Halloween mood, Midnight Mass on Netflix was incredible.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #1678 on: October 04, 2021, 07:38:37 PM »
I have to give a shout-out to my wife's good friend and fellow art teacher who began her run on the Food Network's Outrageous Pumpkins last night.  I think it's just a 4-week event.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1679 on: October 04, 2021, 10:40:01 PM »
Just finished Sex Education season 3. Truly a fine show.

There were some ridiculous, this-never-could-happen scenes, but even those were endearing because the series has so much heart and because the young actors are so talented.

Very happy to hear that there will be a fourth season. I’m rooting for Otis and Maeve!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1680 on: October 04, 2021, 10:54:02 PM »
Has anyone watched Succession?  The promo looked interesting and I like Brian Cox.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1681 on: October 04, 2021, 11:20:28 PM »
Has anyone watched Succession?  The promo looked interesting and I like Brian Cox.

One of the 5 best series on television.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #1682 on: October 05, 2021, 10:32:53 AM »

Less than 2 weeks away from it finally being back. Very pumped.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #1683 on: October 05, 2021, 10:37:44 AM »
One of the 5 best series on television.

Maybe a top 5 all-time.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1684 on: October 05, 2021, 11:39:58 AM »
Maybe a top 5 all-time.

HBO has had so many incredible shows over the years - including Succession - that it would be an honor just to be top-5 all-time HBO, let alone top 5 on any network ever.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1685 on: October 05, 2021, 11:53:28 AM »
Wow...ty.  I guess I'm a little behind with great shows.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1686 on: October 05, 2021, 01:04:13 PM »
Wow...ty.  I guess I'm a little behind with great shows.

Seriously, Muggs, if you have HBO, move Succession to the top of your list. First two seasons are available on demand, and Season 3 starts in less than 2 weeks.

Warrior Code

• All American
  • Undefeated since 1960
« Reply #1687 on: October 05, 2021, 02:02:58 PM »
And if you are in the Halloween mood, Midnight Mass on Netflix was incredible.

Just finished this last night. Definitely check it out if you want something spooky/supernatural for the Halloween season
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1688 on: October 05, 2021, 03:04:13 PM »
Maybe a top 5 all-time.

I love Succession but it needs a complete fantastic third season to get in that discussion.  Many shows have started hot and faded.  Hoping it does cause I thought Season 2 was better than 1.

Unrelated, started Goliath Season 4 on Amazon.  I really liked the first 3 seasons by and large, but I wish they would go easy on the dumb dreamy flashback nonsense.  I honestly fast forward cause most of the time it adds nothing.  There is so much interesting legal drama and sinister intrigue without it.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #1689 on: October 05, 2021, 03:07:23 PM »
I love Succession but it needs a complete fantastic third season to get in that discussion.  Many shows have started hot and faded.  Hoping it does cause I thought Season 2 was better than 1.

Unrelated, started Goliath Season 4 on Amazon.  I really liked the first 3 seasons by and large, but I wish they would go easy on the dumb dreamy flashback nonsense.  I honestly fast forward cause most of the time it adds nothing.  There is so much interesting legal drama and sinister intrigue without it.

I thought seasons 1 and 3 were really good; season 2 so-so.

Hoping S4 will be good.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1690 on: October 05, 2021, 03:17:59 PM »

I haven't seen Goliath, but just a general thought ... is it me, or does it seem more and more (and more) programs are using flashbacks? It seems like the lazy way to tell stories. I can see the occasional flashback, but some of these programs rely so much on them. It's boring, repetitive and stupid.

And agree with you on Succession. It's probably my favorite series of the last few years, but to call it an all-timer based on 2 seasons seems VERY premature. I mean, I loved Dexter through 4 seasons but then it fell off the cliff so badly that it made the series something of a punchline despite its good first 3 seasons and great 4th season. Series like Breaking Bad, The Wire, The Sopranos, etc, stayed great for years and years. Even Game of Thrones had such a long, great run that it can almost (almost) be excused its relatively limp finish. Same with All in the Family -- wasn't as good after Meathead left, but it had so many great years before that it deserves the top-10 ranking that most give it.

Here's hoping Succession joins all those. Succession and The Boys are the two series I recommend most when somebody asks me, "What should I watch?" Obviously, I have other faves, too, including the recently discussed Sex Education.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1691 on: October 05, 2021, 04:52:21 PM »
A teaser for House of the Dragon has dropped.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNwwt25mheo

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #1692 on: October 05, 2021, 05:43:17 PM »

And agree with you on Succession. It's probably my favorite series of the last few years, but to call it an all-timer based on 2 seasons seems VERY premature. I mean, I loved Dexter through 4 seasons but then it fell off the cliff so badly that it made the series something of a punchline despite its good first 3 seasons and great 4th season. Series like Breaking Bad, The Wire, The Sopranos, etc, stayed great for years and years. Even Game of Thrones had such a long, great run that it can almost (almost) be excused its relatively limp finish. Same with All in the Family -- wasn't as good after Meathead left, but it had so many great years before that it deserves the top-10 ranking that most give it.

Here's hoping Succession joins all those. Succession and The Boys are the two series I recommend most when somebody asks me, "What should I watch?" Obviously, I have other faves, too, including the recently discussed Sex Education.

1. Obviously, I am just talking about 2 seasons. And I think the first two of Succession stand up to the 1st two seasons of any other shows all-time. While Dexter was great early, I think a lot of it was that it was such an original premise.

2. Our tastes seems to run along similar veins, but every once in a while we really diverge paths. The Boys is an example of that. To me it was just blah. I was disinterested in it enough to finally say 'enough' on S2E2.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #1693 on: October 05, 2021, 06:44:27 PM »
A teaser for House of the Dragon has dropped.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNwwt25mheo

It'll be interesting to see whether folks are interested in jumping back into the GoT universe.  I think interest was starting to wane midway through the final season.  A large part of that is certainly due to the fact that the final season sucked, but I think the whole thing was just getting a little tired.  Given how expensive this surely was to make, it will have to kill it to keep going.  I also strangely would be more interested in a show that takes place after GoT, rather than a series that takes place chronologically before - though I admit that is an arbitrary and stupid opinion.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1694 on: October 05, 2021, 07:30:05 PM »

1. Obviously, I am just talking about 2 seasons. And I think the first two of Succession stand up to the 1st two seasons of any other shows all-time. While Dexter was great early, I think a lot of it was that it was such an original premise.

2. Our tastes seems to run along similar veins, but every once in a while we really diverge paths. The Boys is an example of that. To me it was just blah. I was disinterested in it enough to finally say 'enough' on S2E2.

1. Fair enough. I have definitely enjoyed the first two seasons of Succession. I'd have to really sit down and do a list to see where I'd rank it -- and I'm too lazy -- but it's been outstanding so far.

2. I think you're the first person I know who watched The Boys for more than a couple episodes and then decided he/she didn't like it. But that's why they make a bazillion shows. Something for everybody! Curious: Did you watch Fleabag and, if so, did you like it?

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1695 on: October 05, 2021, 07:58:57 PM »
Seriously, Muggs, if you have HBO, move Succession to the top of your list. First two seasons are available on demand, and Season 3 starts in less than 2 weeks.

Sounds good.  Ty.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #1696 on: October 05, 2021, 10:02:14 PM »
I mildly like Succession and will watch S3, but .. I'm surprised people think of it as a top show.    It's ok.  If it didn't come back, I'd be ok with that.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #1697 on: October 05, 2021, 10:02:23 PM »
1. Fair enough. I have definitely enjoyed the first two seasons of Succession. I'd have to really sit down and do a list to see where I'd rank it -- and I'm too lazy -- but it's been outstanding so far.

2. I think you're the first person I know who watched The Boys for more than a couple episodes and then decided he/she didn't like it. But that's why they make a bazillion shows. Something for everybody! Curious: Did you watch Fleabag and, if so, did you like it?

I always love British dramas, but disliked their comedy. Fleabag was the exception to the rule. I absolutely loved the show.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #1698 on: October 05, 2021, 10:22:26 PM »
Is anyone else excited for HBO's take on The Last of Us? Because I'm very excited for HBO's take on The Last of Us. The Last of Us is either my favorite or second favorite video game series of all time.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1699 on: October 06, 2021, 06:31:38 AM »
I always love British dramas, but disliked their comedy. Fleabag was the exception to the rule. I absolutely loved the show.

The reason I asked is that The Boys and Fleabag were kind of a two-pack for me. If somebody said they liked one, I'd usually recommend the other.

I know many who don't like Fleabag because it is so over-the-top crude, but I love it. Phoebe Waller-Bridge is one of the most talented people in the entire industry.

Two shows of recent vintage that are no longer on the air made me laugh several times every episode: Fleabag and Veep

Two still on the air that crack me up: Hacks and The Other Two.