[Today at 12:29:11 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: What are you watching in 2020 (or re-watching)???  (Read 214891 times)

jesmu84

• All American
Re: What are you watching in 2020 (or re-watching)???
« Reply #1625 on: August 29, 2021, 12:00:27 AM »
Other than the episode released last night, I'm caught up and I feel like the season has been getting fantastic as it rolls on.

I'm through S2E3. Season 2 has been a big letdown after an outstanding first season. I'll give Bill Lawrence a long leash after the amazing series of Scrubs. But I'm really hoping things improve.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1626 on: August 29, 2021, 01:08:47 AM »
I'm through S2E3. Season 2 has been a big letdown after an outstanding first season. I'll give Bill Lawrence a long leash after the amazing series of Scrubs. But I'm really hoping things improve.

Interesting.  I thought the first episode was a little different in feel than Season 1, but then it caught stride. The Christmas episode was incredible. The scene with Roy’s niece and her breath had me in tears. Roy Kent’s further development has been magnificent writing

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #1627 on: August 29, 2021, 07:28:43 AM »
Interesting.  I thought the first episode was a little different in feel than Season 1, but then it caught stride. The Christmas episode was incredible. The scene with Roy’s niece and her breath had me in tears. Roy Kent’s further development has been magnificent writing

This exactly.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #1628 on: August 29, 2021, 07:53:59 AM »

It’s coming. Remember the RomCom forest.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #1629 on: August 29, 2021, 01:21:58 PM »

I'm only four episodes into S2 so far. I enjoyed the Christmas episode, but it is an example of my original comment that the plotting of S2 seems to be lacking. It felt completely unrelated to prior episodes.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1630 on: August 29, 2021, 04:06:35 PM »
I'm only four episodes into S2 so far. I enjoyed the Christmas episode, but it is an example of my original comment that the plotting of S2 seems to be lacking. It felt completely unrelated to prior episodes.

That’s fair.  But to me it’s always been a character show that took place around an English soccer club. We’ve learned and seen more about Roy, about Sam, about Higgins. They’ve tied it to the teams success and failures with the string of ties and whatnot, but that’s always been background.  Same with the first season IMO.

Autoengineer

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #1631 on: August 29, 2021, 07:21:04 PM »
Watched Sweet Tooth.  Don't know if it was recommended here, but we enjoyed it.
I didn’t even know what that was.  Had to google it.  Looks like someone with no life would watch. 

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #1632 on: August 29, 2021, 07:32:11 PM »
Watched the Netflix miniseries Clickbait. Was decent. Adrian grenier acted better in this than he did in Entourage.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1633 on: August 29, 2021, 08:03:49 PM »
Watched the Netflix miniseries Clickbait. Was decent. Adrian grenier acted better in this than he did in Entourage.

Certainly not hard to do.  It’s incredible how Entourage somehow overcame the lead character being horribly acted as well as his right hand man being outrageously unlikeable

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #1634 on: August 30, 2021, 09:10:36 AM »
I didn’t even know what that was.  Had to google it.  Looks like someone with no life would watch.
Good dystopian story about a bunch of authoritarian "strong men" who act repulsively towards people born differently than them because of their intolerance and fear amidst a pandemic where those born differently are just trying to survive?

It was surprisingly entertaining (despite the obvious parallels to today's America) and people with busy and fulfilling lives enjoyed it. We will definitely watch S1 again right before S2 is released.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1635 on: August 30, 2021, 01:31:24 PM »
Thoroughly enjoying two very easy-to-watch, half-hour comedies:

The Other Two on HBO is about how two young adults cope after their 13-year-old brother becomes overnight Instagram sensation "Chase Dreams." Molly Shannon is the mother of all 3 and knocks it out of the park; I don't think I've seen any of the 3 main actors in anything else prior to this but they're all very, very good. Richard Kind and Wanda Sykes are funny in smaller, recurring roles. I had never heard of the show, which originated a couple years ago on Comedy Central. But I read an article last week in the Washington Post calling it the funniest show on TV, so I checked it out on HBO, where it has migrated for its second season. S2 just started but I'm still in S1, which is available on demand on HBO Max. Not sure about it being the funniest show on TV, but it's damn funny. My wife loves it, too.

Reservation Dogs on Hulu has drawn attention for being the first series ever made with an all Indigenous cast and creative team. But at its core it's a coming-of-age comedy revolving around four teens who want to get out of their cruddy Oklahoma town and have to raise the funds to do it. The young actors are really talented, and the writing is superb. For those worried about such things, it is not a "woke" show; at times, the writers even poke fun at Indians. I think the series actually is an FX show but it's also on Hulu through the relationship between the networks. Recommend highly.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #1636 on: August 30, 2021, 01:42:34 PM »
Wife and I just binged Russian Doll on Netflix. Was not expecting much from it but ended up really enjoying it. Takes the "Groundhound Day" story and puts a dark and humorous twist on it. Took me two episodes to get into it but it got better with every episode. Not sure how they are planning to stretch it into 3 seasons.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #1637 on: August 30, 2021, 02:39:38 PM »

Reservation Dogs on Hulu has drawn attention for being the first series ever made with an all Indigenous cast and creative team. But at its core it's a coming-of-age comedy revolving around four teens who want to get out of their cruddy Oklahoma town and have to raise the funds to do it. The young actors are really talented, and the writing is superb. For those worried about such things, it is not a "woke" show; at times, the writers even poke fun at Indians. I think the series actually is an FX show but it's also on Hulu through the relationship between the networks. Recommend highly.

A great show. The only downside is having to wait a week for new episodes.

CreightonWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #1638 on: August 31, 2021, 08:57:22 PM »
Anyone watching the final season of Brooklyn 99? It’s been a bit much.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #1639 on: September 02, 2021, 08:06:50 AM »

I watched S2E5 last night. Fantastic episode. It's the first time this season I felt like it was hitting the same notes as S1. And yes, Roy Kent is a great character...he's here, he's there, he's every-f*@king-where.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #1640 on: September 02, 2021, 08:14:13 AM »
I watched S2E5 last night. Fantastic episode. It's the first time this season I felt like it was hitting the same notes as S1. And yes, Roy Kent is a great character...he's here, he's there, he's every-f*@king-where.

Yeah, it took a few episodes to hit it's stride. Honestly, I think the lack of game action/content in the first few episodes hurt. They explored all these individual character storylines but largely ignored the reason they all exist.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #1641 on: September 04, 2021, 04:59:48 PM »

"Wire in Blood"
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1642 on: September 06, 2021, 04:20:42 PM »
"Omar" from The Wire ... dead.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/09/06/arts/michael-k-williams-dead.html?campaign_id=60&emc=edit_na_20210906&instance_id=0&nl=breaking-news&ref=headline&regi_id=108420427&segment_id=68225&user_id=d36dcf821462fdd16ec3636710a855fa

Michael K. Williams, the actor known for his role as Omar Little in the HBO series “The Wire,” was found dead in his Brooklyn home on Monday, the police said. He was 54.

Mr. Williams was found about 2 p.m., according to the New York City Police Department. The death is being investigated and the city’s medical examiner will determine the cause, the police said.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1643 on: September 11, 2021, 08:28:32 AM »
Michael Constantine, who played the principal on the late-1960s/early-1970s TV series Room 222, died at age 94.

That show was part of ABC's big Friday night lineup: Brady Bunch, Partridge Family, Room 222, Odd Couple, Love American Style.

Odd Couple is probably the best two-person comedy in TV history, and one of the most fun shows ever. Of the rest, the only one that didn't mostly suck was Room 222, which was at heart a comedy but which at least tried to touch on some of the important issues of the time -- racism, Nam, etc.

I do admit that as a 10-14 year old, I watched them all. Like many (most?) boys back then, I had crushes on Marcia Brady and Lori Partridge.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #1644 on: September 12, 2021, 08:12:06 AM »
Yep. Remember when the best TV shows were on Friday and Saturday night?

Saturday night on CBS was All in the Family, MASH, Mary Tyler Moore Bob Newhart, and the Carol Burnett Show.
Have some patience, FFS.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #1645 on: September 12, 2021, 01:40:20 PM »
Season 2 of Lupin was really good.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #1646 on: September 12, 2021, 07:10:30 PM »
I decided to finally start watching The Sopranos. This may take a while.

On this one, I know how it ends. But I know very little about what happens along the way.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1647 on: September 12, 2021, 09:54:20 PM »
I decided to finally start watching The Sopranos. This may take a while.

On this one, I know how it ends. But I know very little about what happens along the way.

Spoiler alert: Meadow ends up with Turtle!

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #1648 on: September 13, 2021, 06:18:59 PM »
Yep. Remember when the best TV shows were on Friday and Saturday night?

Saturday night on CBS was All in the Family, MASH, Mary Tyler Moore Bob Newhart, and the Carol Burnett Show.

I remember that Bob Newhart was a Loyola grad and the actor who played his friend, Jerry (?) the dentist, was a Marquette grad. In one episode, they went to the Loyola Marquette game which way back then was  still a rivalry. There may have been just a touch of trash talking between them before leaving for the game but I am not sure. Since it was Bob's show, of course Loyola won the game.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1649 on: September 15, 2021, 10:33:23 PM »
I just watched this documentary on Netflix about the Hungarian Jews called the Last Days.  I think it came out in 1998.  Absolutely gut wrenching but I think it's worth seeing.  The fact that this was only 75 yrs ago is impossible to ignore.  The emphasis that Hitler was essentially choosing to fight two wars, even when the actual war was over for Germany, is really difficult to comprehend.

feedback