[Today at 04:40:13 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by BrewCity83
[Today at 04:40:04 PM]

Where is Marquette? by Dr. Blackheart
[Today at 04:38:52 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: What are you watching in 2020 (or re-watching)???  (Read 210901 times)

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
Re: What are you watching in 2020 (or re-watching)???
« Reply #1650 on: September 17, 2021, 01:20:30 PM »
Has anyone checked out The Defeated on Netflix?  Wife and I are halfway through season 1 and it's intriguing. 
Berlin 1946

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1651 on: September 17, 2021, 01:23:52 PM »
Tacoma FD season 3.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #1652 on: September 17, 2021, 08:29:46 PM »
I remember that Bob Newhart was a Loyola grad and the actor who played his friend, Jerry (?) the dentist, was a Marquette grad. In one episode, they went to the Loyola Marquette game which way back then was  still a rivalry. There may have been just a touch of trash talking between them before leaving for the game but I am not sure. Since it was Bob's show, of course Loyola won the game.
Off 'watching' topic but on Bob Newhart topic....back in the mid 90's I was gifted tickets to a theatre-in-the-round with Bob Newhart followed by the Neville Brothers. GF and I were the youngest there by 30yrs and Newhart was ABSOLUTELY FILTHY and absolutely hilarious. He got more raunchy the more offended the audience got, it was a masters class in comedy.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #1653 on: September 19, 2021, 12:09:55 AM »
Finally got into Ted Lasso. It actually lives up to the hype and more.

That scene after the FA cup semifinal was gut wrenching.

Though not a fan of the latest episode. Didn’t get it at all.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #1654 on: September 19, 2021, 01:18:47 PM »
Finally got into Ted Lasso. It actually lives up to the hype and more.

That scene after the FA cup semifinal was gut wrenching.

Though not a fan of the latest episode. Didn’t get it at all.

We watched both of those episodes last night, and I agree completely. S2E8 (the one with the FA Cup semifinal) was one of the best episodes of the series. S2E9 (the Coach Beard episode)…not so great. It had a couple good moments, but I wasn’t a fan. I kept thinking that it was going to be revealed to be a dream.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1655 on: September 19, 2021, 02:32:32 PM »
Off 'watching' topic but on Bob Newhart topic....back in the mid 90's I was gifted tickets to a theatre-in-the-round with Bob Newhart followed by the Neville Brothers. GF and I were the youngest there by 30yrs and Newhart was ABSOLUTELY FILTHY and absolutely hilarious. He got more raunchy the more offended the audience got, it was a masters class in comedy.

Also allegedly SHOCKINGLY well endowed and that was a source of comedy between his friends and Bob Newhart show family.

We watched both of those episodes last night, and I agree completely. S2E8 (the one with the FA Cup semifinal) was one of the best episodes of the series. S2E9 (the Coach Beard episode)…not so great. It had a couple good moments, but I wasn’t a fan. I kept thinking that it was going to be revealed to be a dream.

I don't mind some of the laser focused seemingly random character development episodes in shows that focus on a single secondary character, but I agree it was a bit off.  The semi-ending with Nelson Road was great but the rest was kind of ehh.  I was hoping we'd get more backstory or why Beard was Beard, but it was just a random misadventure.

thebigjake

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #1656 on: September 20, 2021, 08:22:44 AM »

Gotta be honest- the coach Beard episode was my favorite of the series. But he is my favorite character.

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #1657 on: September 20, 2021, 10:52:54 AM »
I read that Lasso was planned as 3 10-episode seasons, but Apple changed the order to 12 episodes for this season. This one and Xmas were added to not impact the overall storyline. Definitely different/strange, but I didn't dislike it.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #1658 on: September 20, 2021, 03:17:17 PM »
I read that Lasso was planned as 3 10-episode seasons, but Apple changed the order to 12 episodes for this season. This one and Xmas were added to not impact the overall storyline. Definitely different/strange, but I didn't dislike it.

That's interesting and makes a lot of sense.

I wouldn't say that I "disliked" it, but I didn't enjoy it nearly as much as other episodes. Like JWags, I really like Coach Beard and once it became apparent that the episode was going to focus on him, I was hoping that we'd get a better look at why he is the way he is.

P.S. I was really pleased to see that Ted Lasso got some hardware at the Emmys last night (Best Comedy, Lead Actor, Supporting Actress and Supporting Actor). And Coach Beard was rocking the tophat and cane!

P.P.S. On an unrelated note, I was also glad to see that Kate Winslet won an Emmy for her work on Mare of Easttown.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #1659 on: September 20, 2021, 05:03:17 PM »
That's interesting and makes a lot of sense.

I wouldn't say that I "disliked" it, but I didn't enjoy it nearly as much as other episodes. Like JWags, I really like Coach Beard and once it became apparent that the episode was going to focus on him, I was hoping that we'd get a better look at why he is the way he is.

P.S. I was really pleased to see that Ted Lasso got some hardware at the Emmys last night (Best Comedy, Lead Actor, Supporting Actress and Supporting Actor). And Coach Beard was rocking the tophat and cane!

P.P.S. On an unrelated note, I was also glad to see that Kate Winslet won an Emmy for her work on Mare of Easttown.

For Mare, I was even more glad for the two supporting actors who won
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #1660 on: September 20, 2021, 09:10:24 PM »
Just started Only Murders in the Building on Hulu. It’s with Steve Martin, Martin Short, and Selena Gomez. Interesting story and really fun watch. Excited to see where it goes.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1661 on: September 21, 2021, 09:15:51 PM »
The ‘86 Mets documentary on ESPN is quite good … and I’m a tough grader on this kind of thing.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1662 on: September 22, 2021, 09:45:50 AM »
Sex Education Season 3 is fantastic.  Still endearing and oddly wholesome, but I feel like its even funnier than the last 2 seasons.  I was in tears during the episode in France.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #1663 on: September 22, 2021, 10:39:16 AM »
Sex Education Season 3 is fantastic.  Still endearing and oddly wholesome, but I feel like its even funnier than the last 2 seasons.  I was in tears during the episode in France.

The Mrs. and I are finishing up Kim's Convenience and season 3 of Sex Education is next on the list. Loved the first two seasons.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1664 on: September 22, 2021, 10:42:56 AM »
Just started Only Murders in the Building on Hulu. It’s with Steve Martin, Martin Short, and Selena Gomez. Interesting story and really fun watch. Excited to see where it goes.

Just started this last night.  Watched the first four episodes.  Good start.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #1665 on: September 22, 2021, 11:43:34 AM »

I’ve only watched 1 EP of season 3 so far. But this is a really underrated great show
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1666 on: September 22, 2021, 01:43:28 PM »

Thanks for the reminder! I loved the first two seasons. Need to start watching S3!

reinko

• All American
« Reply #1667 on: September 23, 2021, 06:18:03 AM »
The Squid Game on Netflix while the premise really out there and very violent, is really well done in terms of direction, acting, and the music…which I’m a sucker for.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #1668 on: September 23, 2021, 07:26:36 AM »
I watched White Lotus and will save you the trouble:  Skip this. 

Predictable plot, dumb characters, stupid ending.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #1669 on: September 23, 2021, 07:36:28 AM »
Does anyone else go back and re-watch the entire series whenever a new season drops? If a series has 5+ seasons and I've stuck with it that long, I might only do the last season before the new one, but with something like Sex Education I went back to S1E1 yesterday, and I think I'm going to be able to pace it out perfectly to finish those three seasons and be right in the middle of restarting You when season three of that drops on the 15th.  Both very good IMO.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1670 on: September 23, 2021, 07:53:45 AM »
I watched White Lotus and will save you the trouble:  Skip this. 

Predictable plot, dumb characters, stupid ending.

Agree that White Lotus was disappointing, to say the least. I've seen some critics call it "brilliant," which is amazing.

Wasn't anywhere near HBO's worst, but also was light years away from the network's good stuff (let alone its "brilliant" series like Sopranos, Succession, GoT, Six Feet Under, Deadwood, The Wire, etc.).

In the last few months, we have watched White Lotus, Nine Perfect Strangers and Clickbait. None was very good.

I know a few folks here didn't like Mare ... but Mare was 100 times better than any of the above IMHO.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #1671 on: September 23, 2021, 08:01:52 AM »
The Squid Game on Netflix while the premise really out there and very violent, is really well done in terms of direction, acting, and the music…which I’m a sucker for.

I saw that trailer for this last night. I'm intrigued.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #1672 on: September 23, 2021, 08:33:52 AM »
Does anyone else go back and re-watch the entire series whenever a new season drops? If a series has 5+ seasons and I've stuck with it that long, I might only do the last season before the new one, but with something like Sex Education I went back to S1E1 yesterday, and I think I'm going to be able to pace it out perfectly to finish those three seasons and be right in the middle of restarting You when season three of that drops on the 15th.  Both very good IMO.

Yes, especially if there tends to be a lot of reference to past events in the series. For example, I plan to re-watch "Better Call Saul" before the next season premiers.
Have some patience, FFS.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1673 on: September 23, 2021, 01:25:09 PM »
Yes, especially if there tends to be a lot of reference to past events in the series. For example, I plan to re-watch "Better Call Saul" before the next season premiers.

This.

I really don't like re-watching things very much. I have a friend who is now watching the Sopranos for the fifth or sixth time, which doesn't make much sense to me. But I will sometimes re-watch the season prior to the one that's about to come out to give me better context for the new stuff.

Also, sometimes my wife has passed on a series for one reason or another but if I or one of her friends tell her that she'll like it, I'll re-watch earlier seasons with her to prep for the new stuff. We did this with The Wire, GoT, Mandalorian and a few others. I usually don't mind because I often notice things on the re-watch that I missed the first time through.

In fact, we are currently watching the first 2 seasons of Succession -- me for the second time, her for the first. She loves it! We only have a few more episodes to go in S2, and then it'll be time for S3!

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #1674 on: October 01, 2021, 12:16:33 PM »
I started watching Squid Game on Netflix. I'm about 2.25 episodes in. It's certainly dark. Somehow it doesn't seem like the correct word to say I'm "enjoying" it, but I'll definitely keep watching.