[Today at 08:18:48 AM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: What are you watching in 2020 (or re-watching)???  (Read 214690 times)

Warrior Code

• All American
  • Undefeated since 1960
Re: What are you watching in 2020 (or re-watching)???
« Reply #1700 on: October 06, 2021, 10:48:06 AM »
It'll be interesting to see whether folks are interested in jumping back into the GoT universe. I think interest was starting to wane midway through the final season.  A large part of that is certainly due to the fact that the final season sucked, but I think the whole thing was just getting a little tired.  Given how expensive this surely was to make, it will have to kill it to keep going.  I also strangely would be more interested in a show that takes place after GoT, rather than a series that takes place chronologically before - though I admit that is an arbitrary and stupid opinion.

I'm not, and I agree the whole thing was getting a little tired. By the time it ended I was ready for it to be done.
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #1701 on: October 06, 2021, 12:21:47 PM »
The reason I asked is that The Boys and Fleabag were kind of a two-pack for me. If somebody said they liked one, I'd usually recommend the other.

I know many who don't like Fleabag because it is so over-the-top crude, but I love it. Phoebe Waller-Bridge is one of the most talented people in the entire industry.

Two shows of recent vintage that are no longer on the air made me laugh several times every episode: Fleabag and Veep

Two still on the air that crack me up: Hacks and The Other Two.

Veep was one of the funniest shows ever.

Hacks didn't really do anything for me, but The Other Two (I just started it) is pretty funny.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #1702 on: October 06, 2021, 12:26:17 PM »
I mildly like Succession and will watch S3, but .. I'm surprised people think of it as a top show.    It's ok.  If it didn't come back, I'd be ok with that.

I think it's better than okay, but I'm not in love with it either. Probably because I hate most every character.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #1703 on: October 06, 2021, 12:53:34 PM »
Just finished Sex Education season 3. Truly a fine show.

There were some ridiculous, this-never-could-happen scenes, but even those were endearing because the series has so much heart and because the young actors are so talented.

Very happy to hear that there will be a fourth season. I’m rooting for Otis and Maeve!

I'll be watching episode 8 tonight. Once again, a very well done season. 

Outside of Billions (I know I'm behind on that one) best shows I've watched streaming are foreign shows, most recently Sex Education, The Serpent, Normal People, Money Heist and Lupin. It's about quality, not generating advertising dollars through ratings.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1704 on: October 06, 2021, 12:55:42 PM »
I think it's better than okay, but I'm not in love with it either. Probably because I hate most every character.

I assume "most every" doesn't include Cousin Greg, but if it does, you just disqualified yourself from opining on the show.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #1705 on: October 06, 2021, 12:59:03 PM »
The ‘86 Mets documentary on ESPN is quite good … and I’m a tough grader on this kind of thing.

Really well done. I'd been a young Mets fan during that time and remember that WS so well.

I'd read Pearlman's book (The Bad Guys Won) so I knew about the drug culture team, but man, it was insane! I appreciated Doc's candor in his interviews.  Like the 85 Bears, that's a team that should have won more than one title.

And how about the complete games in the playoffs, or even the Mets only using three relievers in the 16 inning game six clincher, including McDowell going five innings? That absolves him from what he did to Kramer.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1706 on: October 06, 2021, 01:13:02 PM »
Veep was one of the funniest shows ever.

Hacks didn't really do anything for me, but The Other Two (I just started it) is pretty funny.

Wow ... Hacks was funny, and very well-acted I thought. Again, that's why they make a zillion shows.

Veep was one of a handful of the funniest series ever made. Very short list. And Julia Louis-Dreyfus is an American treasure.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1707 on: October 06, 2021, 01:14:27 PM »
I love Succession but it needs a complete fantastic third season to get in that discussion.  Many shows have started hot and faded.  Hoping it does cause I thought Season 2 was better than 1.

Unrelated, started Goliath Season 4 on Amazon.  I really liked the first 3 seasons by and large, but I wish they would go easy on the dumb dreamy flashback nonsense.  I honestly fast forward cause most of the time it adds nothing.  There is so much interesting legal drama and sinister intrigue without it.

100%.  Calling it a top 5 show is hyperbole.  It's very entertaining, but fairly shallow.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1708 on: October 06, 2021, 01:18:58 PM »
Really well done. I'd been a young Mets fan during that time and remember that WS so well.

I'd read Pearlman's book (The Bad Guys Won) so I knew about the drug culture team, but man, it was insane! I appreciated Doc's candor in his interviews.  Like the 85 Bears, that's a team that should have won more than one title.

And how about the complete games in the playoffs, or even the Mets only using three relievers in the 16 inning game six clincher, including McDowell going five innings? That absolves him from what he did to Kramer.

Yessir. I had seen Gooden and Straw interviewed before, but I've never seen them this candid. It was very compelling TV.

I like your list of shows a couple posts up, too. I still need to watch a few of them.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #1709 on: October 06, 2021, 01:50:21 PM »
I assume "most every" doesn't include Cousin Greg, but if it does, you just disqualified yourself from opining on the show.

He's not fully on the list. Liked him at first, but towards the end of S2 you can see the Roy-ness creeping in.

It's very entertaining, but fairly shallow.

Shallow is a good way to put it.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #1710 on: October 06, 2021, 02:20:11 PM »
100%.  Calling it a top 5 show is hyperbole.  It's very entertaining, but fairly shallow.

We obviously disagree.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1711 on: October 06, 2021, 03:28:14 PM »
I don't see Succession being any more "shallow" than, say, The Sopranos. Heck, I'm not even sure what "shallow" means in the context of criticizing Succession.

I've never had a problem liking a series even if I don't like some (or most) of the characters. I mean, there haven't been too many bigger SOBs in TV history than Al Swearingen, and he was surrounded by many other reprehensible dirtbags, but I loved Deadwood. Was Deadwood "shallow," too? I don't know!

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #1712 on: October 06, 2021, 04:06:55 PM »
I'll be watching episode 8 tonight. Once again, a very well done season. 

Outside of Billions (I know I'm behind on that one) best shows I've watched streaming are foreign shows, most recently Sex Education, The Serpent, Normal People, Money Heist and Lupin. It's about quality, not generating advertising dollars through ratings.

Lupin is the best!

Money Heist - I like and have like 3 episodes left in Season 1.  But I somewhat agree with my wife who almost wants to quit watching because the middle episodes seem to drag out everything and "repeat" the same small story again.  I noticed the other seasons have less episodes.  Did they do a better job on editing to make the action flow faster?

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #1713 on: October 06, 2021, 04:31:11 PM »
I always love British dramas, but disliked their comedy. Fleabag was the exception to the rule. I absolutely loved the show.

Have you seen Doctor Foster yet?
Have some patience, FFS.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1714 on: October 06, 2021, 04:36:10 PM »
I don't see Succession being any more "shallow" than, say, The Sopranos. Heck, I'm not even sure what "shallow" means in the context of criticizing Succession.

I've never had a problem liking a series even if I don't like some (or most) of the characters. I mean, there haven't been too many bigger SOBs in TV history than Al Swearingen, and he was surrounded by many other reprehensible dirtbags, but I loved Deadwood. Was Deadwood "shallow," too? I don't know!

I like Succession.  It's a good show.  Does it compete with programs like Breaking Bad, The Sopranos, The Wire, Chernobyl, True Detective, etc?  Hell no.

Again, its very fun, but there is nothing deep about it.  Rich, successful, intelligent Dad slowly realizes his kids are all different types of losers and he has no true heir.  I enjoy watching it a lot, but I wouldn't even put it in the top 50 of shows I've watched. 

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #1715 on: October 06, 2021, 04:43:22 PM »
Lupin is the best!

Money Heist - I like and have like 3 episodes left in Season 1.  But I somewhat agree with my wife who almost wants to quit watching because the middle episodes seem to drag out everything and "repeat" the same small story again.  I noticed the other seasons have less episodes.  Did they do a better job on editing to make the action flow faster?

the second season has some very intriguing twists in the middle episodes. For the third season, the first five episodes were released and then the next five will be released in a few months.

Any word on the new season of Ozark? I'm excited for Cobra Kai on New Year's Day.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2021, 04:45:00 PM by Billy Hoyle »

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #1716 on: October 06, 2021, 06:29:26 PM »
Have you seen Doctor Foster yet?

Not yet. My wife watched the 1st episode and didn't like it, but I like British drama a lot more than she does. It's on my list, but haven't got to it yet.

Do you recommend it?

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #1717 on: October 06, 2021, 06:51:15 PM »

Not yet. My wife watched the 1st episode and didn't like it, but I like British drama a lot more than she does. It's on my list, but haven't got to it yet.

Do you recommend it?

Yes, I do. It's a little different from most dramas.
Have some patience, FFS.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1718 on: October 06, 2021, 10:11:12 PM »
I like Succession.  It's a good show.  Does it compete with programs like Breaking Bad, The Sopranos, The Wire, Chernobyl, True Detective, etc?  Hell no.

Again, its very fun, but there is nothing deep about it.  Rich, successful, intelligent Dad slowly realizes his kids are all different types of losers and he has no true heir.  I enjoy watching it a lot, but I wouldn't even put it in the top 50 of shows I've watched.

I'm probably somewhere between top-5 and top-50 on Succession, but maybe not. I'm not gonna sit down and list 'em. I enjoy Succession. I don't think it's "shallow." I liked the first 4 shows you named at least as much as Succession. True Detective has had a couple very strong seasons/casts and one weak/bordlerline unwatchable one IMHO; I don't think it's in the same league as the other programs you named, and so far I prefer Succession too. But again, that's why there's a bazillion shows - something for everyone.

And FWIW, Chernobyl is a different category as it was a "limited series." But I agree it was incredible - the best thing I saw on TV that season.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #1719 on: October 07, 2021, 12:18:41 AM »
I don’t know if I’ve seen this mentioned but one show that really surprised me was Dave.

Much preferred season 1 to season 2, but it was really enjoyable. And GaTa is a tremendous actor.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1720 on: October 07, 2021, 10:06:06 AM »
It'll be interesting to see whether folks are interested in jumping back into the GoT universe.  I think interest was starting to wane midway through the final season.

I think the problem was the loss of source material from GRRM leading to subpar plots. If the story & acting is there, I think it will do well.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1721 on: October 07, 2021, 10:23:47 AM »
I don’t know if I’ve seen this mentioned but one show that really surprised me was Dave.

Much preferred season 1 to season 2, but it was really enjoyable. And GaTa is a tremendous actor.

Season 1 was fantastic, Season 2 was...inconsistent.  Some of it was really good, some of it was just really weird and off kilter.  But GaTa is amazing, probably the most underrated part of the show, he's fantastic.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1722 on: October 07, 2021, 10:41:52 AM »
I think the problem was the loss of source material from GRRM leading to subpar plots. If the story & acting is there, I think it will do well.

Honestly, I hope its pure garbage so HBO dumps the rest of the material and GRRM can get back to not writing his books... but this time without excuses.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #1723 on: October 07, 2021, 12:48:52 PM »
I'm probably somewhere between top-5 and top-50 on Succession, but maybe not. I'm not gonna sit down and list 'em. I enjoy Succession. I don't think it's "shallow." I liked the first 4 shows you named at least as much as Succession. True Detective has had a couple very strong seasons/casts and one weak/bordlerline unwatchable one IMHO; I don't think it's in the same league as the other programs you named, and so far I prefer Succession too. But again, that's why there's a bazillion shows - something for everyone.

And FWIW, Chernobyl is a different category as it was a "limited series." But I agree it was incredible - the best thing I saw on TV that season.

without a doubt! Honestly, I had to pause it during one scene (don't want to give spoilers but you may be able to guess the one) and just take a break fora few minutes, it was that powerful and disturbing.

One more Netflix to check out (only three seasons) is Broadchurch. The first season was incredible, and the best part was learning afterward how the writers and producers approached it, keeping the cast in the dark about how the season was going to end.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2021, 02:14:12 PM by Billy Hoyle »

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #1724 on: October 07, 2021, 01:26:46 PM »